Things that are awesome: Round 1

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By coreymw

This is a weekly writeup of things I find funny, informative, enlightening or just awesome. I don't have a definition for awesome. It's purely subjective. Maybe a trend will develop and I can then determine what I find awesome.

I'm going to lead off with a quote by Gabe Newell of Valve Software. This is taken from the interview Ben Kuchera conducted, and is linked below.

Discussing DRM:

"You know, it's a really bad idea to start off on the assumption that your customers are on the other side of some sort of battle with you. I really don't think that is either accurate or a really good business strategy." - Gabe Newell

Games:

Plink

This isn't a game. It's more of a music simulator. If you're lucky there will be other people to play with. Pick your color on the left to make different tones. I think this only works in the Chrome browser, but I'm not sure.

The Dark Room - Thanks to Alex for the link.

It’s a YouTube adventure game. I just started playing it moments ago and I love it. It’s frustrating, but I love it.

Good reads:

A great editorial by Griffin McElroy of VOX Games on Johann Sebastion Joust, a PS3(maybe?) game that utilizes the wands. The game exists because its creator decided that moving in slow-motion is awesome. From what I can gather it seems as though he's right. I really want to play this game.

Vox Games: Johann Sebastion Joust

I like Steve. He's worked on games that I enjoy and he's intelligent. Give his blog post a read. Once finished I'm sure you'll agree with both of us.

Steve Gaynor talks about being respectful

If you've ever played a Twisted Metal or God of War game and enjoyed yourself, you have this man to thank. He's outspoken and not afraid to tell people what he thinks. I appreciate that from a developer. If you ask him a direct question, he's going to give you a direct answer; and it will include no fewer than 2 swear words. I appreciate that too.

David Jaffe isn't afraid of the media, or new challenges

They are responsible for some of gaming's most memorable moments, and one of the, if not the most successful digital distribution platforms available. Penny Arcade was lucky enough to take a tour and snap some fantastic photos of their beautiful office space.

Take a tour of Valve Software

After finishing this article there's no doubt you'll understand why Valve is as successful as it is. Gabe understands what it means to innovate and he's willing to do what it takes to not be left behind. This is a great read.

Penny Arcade's Ben Kuchera and Valve Software's Gabe Newell have a chat

This guy has an amazing story. He's always had a passion for gaming and let nothing stand in his way, not even a successful career as a lawyer. He started what could be considered the first iteration of “The Amazing Race” and has starred in several films, most recently “The Artist”. He's an interesting man. Take the time to read this.

The first professional gamer: Bob Glouberman

I'm only perpetuating the meme, but I have to share it because I found it so adorable.

Link

Because it's Portal 2 related, and I love Portal 2

Link: Deviant Art

I feel bad for him, sitting there alone after a hard days work.

Link: Spiderman

Videos:

Everything is a remix: Part 4

Just watch it

A violin player and her shadow

Link

The Gravy Rainbow always cheers me up. These guys actually have some good music, and really strange videos.

Link

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By coreymw

This is a weekly writeup of things I find funny, informative, enlightening or just awesome. I don't have a definition for awesome. It's purely subjective. Maybe a trend will develop and I can then determine what I find awesome.

I'm going to lead off with a quote by Gabe Newell of Valve Software. This is taken from the interview Ben Kuchera conducted, and is linked below.

Discussing DRM:

"You know, it's a really bad idea to start off on the assumption that your customers are on the other side of some sort of battle with you. I really don't think that is either accurate or a really good business strategy." - Gabe Newell

Games:

Plink

This isn't a game. It's more of a music simulator. If you're lucky there will be other people to play with. Pick your color on the left to make different tones. I think this only works in the Chrome browser, but I'm not sure.

The Dark Room - Thanks to Alex for the link.

It’s a YouTube adventure game. I just started playing it moments ago and I love it. It’s frustrating, but I love it.

Good reads:

A great editorial by Griffin McElroy of VOX Games on Johann Sebastion Joust, a PS3(maybe?) game that utilizes the wands. The game exists because its creator decided that moving in slow-motion is awesome. From what I can gather it seems as though he's right. I really want to play this game.

Vox Games: Johann Sebastion Joust

I like Steve. He's worked on games that I enjoy and he's intelligent. Give his blog post a read. Once finished I'm sure you'll agree with both of us.

Steve Gaynor talks about being respectful

If you've ever played a Twisted Metal or God of War game and enjoyed yourself, you have this man to thank. He's outspoken and not afraid to tell people what he thinks. I appreciate that from a developer. If you ask him a direct question, he's going to give you a direct answer; and it will include no fewer than 2 swear words. I appreciate that too.

David Jaffe isn't afraid of the media, or new challenges

They are responsible for some of gaming's most memorable moments, and one of the, if not the most successful digital distribution platforms available. Penny Arcade was lucky enough to take a tour and snap some fantastic photos of their beautiful office space.

Take a tour of Valve Software

After finishing this article there's no doubt you'll understand why Valve is as successful as it is. Gabe understands what it means to innovate and he's willing to do what it takes to not be left behind. This is a great read.

Penny Arcade's Ben Kuchera and Valve Software's Gabe Newell have a chat

This guy has an amazing story. He's always had a passion for gaming and let nothing stand in his way, not even a successful career as a lawyer. He started what could be considered the first iteration of “The Amazing Race” and has starred in several films, most recently “The Artist”. He's an interesting man. Take the time to read this.

The first professional gamer: Bob Glouberman

I'm only perpetuating the meme, but I have to share it because I found it so adorable.

Link

Because it's Portal 2 related, and I love Portal 2

Link: Deviant Art

I feel bad for him, sitting there alone after a hard days work.

Link: Spiderman

Videos:

Everything is a remix: Part 4

Just watch it

A violin player and her shadow

Link

The Gravy Rainbow always cheers me up. These guys actually have some good music, and really strange videos.

Link