• 84 results
nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By nohthink

Attention: I am not saying every giantbomb user belongs to this category. 

Two things that I have noticed about the Giantbomb users:

1) They hate gamespot and IGN
It makes sense mostly because they are Giantbomb lovers but sometimes I notice certain "hatreds" toward gamespot and IGN. Calling them corrupted or saying things like they are unreliable or even pointing people who use IGN as "bad people." I do not understand that. People... we are all mature people and they are people who want to see other reviews before they make their purchases. Also, please do not say "oh they are afraid of getting their ads pulled out by the company" without any sources. That is just a conspiracy theory. And I know people who read this is gonna say "oh but it's true you dumbass! They did get paid for the review!" Dude... whatever. If you don't like other websites, that's fine. Keep it to yourself. Don't point other people and call them ignorant.  Also, they hate gamespot because....

2) They LOVE Jeff Gerstmann
Like.... really.... It looks Giantbomb is a Jeff Gerstmann cult or something. I've seen things like "I'm not gonna play anything that Jeff says it's bad" or "It must be terrible because Jeff says so" or, and this is my favorite, "It's right because Jeff says so." People.... Giantbomb does not equal Jeff. Ok? It is a cooperate efforts by Jeff, Vinny, Brad, Drew, Ryan, Dave, Sean and other Whiskey Media people that we do not know because they are working on the back, behind the curtain. Also, just because Jeff does not like one game, that does not automatically mean it's a bad game. Now, I'm not questioning his professionalism as a game journalist. He is a great reviewer and I think things he says are very legitimate. But that does not mean I uphold every single word he says. Do you really love everybody movie that critics said they were great movies? You probably don't. Game is the same thing.  I don't care how many stars Jeff gives it to Call of Duty. I don't like it. I think the story is juvenile like a young kid's little scribble notes who has fantasies about being in American army and it has nothing going on other than multiplayer. It might as well release the damn game without a single player campaign as far as I concern. Learn to have your opinions people! And please, give some credits to other Giantbomb crews too. 

Oh people are gonna hate me so much....

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By nohthink

Attention: I am not saying every giantbomb user belongs to this category. 

Two things that I have noticed about the Giantbomb users:

1) They hate gamespot and IGN
It makes sense mostly because they are Giantbomb lovers but sometimes I notice certain "hatreds" toward gamespot and IGN. Calling them corrupted or saying things like they are unreliable or even pointing people who use IGN as "bad people." I do not understand that. People... we are all mature people and they are people who want to see other reviews before they make their purchases. Also, please do not say "oh they are afraid of getting their ads pulled out by the company" without any sources. That is just a conspiracy theory. And I know people who read this is gonna say "oh but it's true you dumbass! They did get paid for the review!" Dude... whatever. If you don't like other websites, that's fine. Keep it to yourself. Don't point other people and call them ignorant.  Also, they hate gamespot because....

2) They LOVE Jeff Gerstmann
Like.... really.... It looks Giantbomb is a Jeff Gerstmann cult or something. I've seen things like "I'm not gonna play anything that Jeff says it's bad" or "It must be terrible because Jeff says so" or, and this is my favorite, "It's right because Jeff says so." People.... Giantbomb does not equal Jeff. Ok? It is a cooperate efforts by Jeff, Vinny, Brad, Drew, Ryan, Dave, Sean and other Whiskey Media people that we do not know because they are working on the back, behind the curtain. Also, just because Jeff does not like one game, that does not automatically mean it's a bad game. Now, I'm not questioning his professionalism as a game journalist. He is a great reviewer and I think things he says are very legitimate. But that does not mean I uphold every single word he says. Do you really love everybody movie that critics said they were great movies? You probably don't. Game is the same thing.  I don't care how many stars Jeff gives it to Call of Duty. I don't like it. I think the story is juvenile like a young kid's little scribble notes who has fantasies about being in American army and it has nothing going on other than multiplayer. It might as well release the damn game without a single player campaign as far as I concern. Learn to have your opinions people! And please, give some credits to other Giantbomb crews too. 

Oh people are gonna hate me so much....

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

...really? I've never encountered those kind of comments. Maybe the occasional hate thread for IGN/Gamespot but that's usually off a new user who you never see again after that. 

It's all there, sure. The drone like admiring of Jeff and the hatred for IGN/Gamespot, but you're exaggerating it all to silly proportions.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

Yeah, don't point other people and call them ignorant!

Pangina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Pangina

I don't exactly hate IGN/Gamespot and I think Jeff's reviews are flaming diarrhea,however I still love him for making this site happen.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Tireyo

Weird of you to point all of that out.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yup, I've noticed it too.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kjellm87

HEY YO, If you don't like Jeff you can get out. Jeff is the single greatest thing to happen to the game industry and his word is absolute,
GB and the other guys would be nothing without him, like the guy with beard...what was his name again?

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zimbo

From what I have seen the majority of the users do appreciate everyone who works on the site and most people seem to enjoy seeing the other Whiskey Media people on TNT/Happy Hour and quick looks so saying the majority of people are only here for Jeff is a bit wrong.

The gamespot bashing is a bit common sure. But then without the whole fiasco with Jeff and Gamespot, Giant Bomb would never have actually been created so I have no problem with them!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60

Most people on this site love the staff way too much, to the point of never disagreeing with them and getting angry when people do.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By time allen
@nohthink: jeff's a cool guy but i don't usually like his reviews, and i visit gamespot on somewhat regular basis. i guess i'm not in the majority.
02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 02sfraser

I don't hate gamespot, I just find their news late and their reviews terribly written. I like IGN but sometimes they just write rubbish to fill a gap they have in the week. As for Jeff Gerstmann I just love how made this website.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yep, seen the same.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Buscemi

Jeff's a groovy guy. Stay groovy guys!

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kishan6
@nohthink: i migrated from gamespot a couple years ago and honestly i think that a good amount of the people on here still like to talk about lots of the good things GS had going for it.  and i havent really encountered a inordinate amount of IGN haters... just the usual riff raff 

And yeah most of the people on GB are riding Jeffs dick hardcore
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sameeeeam

The entire crew also receives a LOT of love. Almost too much, sometimes.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DeShawn2ks
@nohthink:  I don't know if this is all true man. I don't have a problem with IGN at all. I actually listen to a lot of there podcast. As for the Jeff thing lets just say I am currently play DC Universe Online and loving it and we all know how he feels about that game. Not to say there aren't probably community members like that but I don't think it is the majority. If anything the GB community to me seems more laid back than most sites.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By Dalai

To be fair, I don't really hate Gamespot or IGN since I occasionally check out those sites. They're okay, but I prefer the more laid back approach to Giant Bomb. 

And while I do think Jeff is an entertaining fellow, our tastes in gaming differ greatly. I can like the guy and disagree with him at the same time.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KarlPilkington

Get an avatar.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Zippedbinders

I think of all the game sites out there, this one and Destructoid are probably the least ass kissing to the editors/content providers. Sure, we all enjoy the content they provide, but none of them are pushed to onto a pedestal, even Jeff. We're all pretty quick to ask questions and call out bullshit, but we also understand their opinions and (usually) respect them. 

As for "hating" Gamespot or IGN, I can understand disliking CNET for putting Jeff and co. through the fiasco a few years back, but I don't think there's any kind of vocal majority saying Gamespot is a bad site, they have pros and cons just like everyone else, VanOrd seems to be pulling most of the weight in my opinion. I'm not IGNs biggest fan, but I wouldn't say I hate them. That said, I'd recommend Giant Bomb over any other game site out there.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I think a lot of your statements here seem very misinformed. Every member of Staff working for whiskey get's all sorts of love from Giantbomb users. It's not surprising that people will have favourites and it's understandable that people like Jeff because, let's face it, he's a cool guy. He's down to earth and he doesn't put up with a lot of the shit that gets thrown around with sites like IGN and Gamespot. The giantbomb staff won't spam Top Ten lists every day and they won't post rumours and speculation and try to fob it off as news. They are honest about everything they do - that's the reason why Giantbomb exists. It's pretty unique amongst videogame websites and people who share that mentality respect him for that.  

Just because two people share the same opinion doesn't mean one of them is a mindless drone.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Evilsbane
@nohthink: 

If you don't understand why people here dislike gamespot than you misunderstand the very reason we like Jeff so much, IGN and Gamespot stand for the very things Jeff Opposes so yea Cult of Jeff ftw.
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By DeeGee

Something I noticed about people who complain about Giant Bomb users, if somebody doesn't like their game, then CLEARLY they have no actual opinion. "You didn't like the game I loved? WELL I GUESS YOU'LL AGREE WITH ANYTHING JEFF/BRAD/RYAN SAYS. Get your own thoughts!".  

God forbid that people actually agree with their thoughts on a game for their own personal reasons, right?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Brendan

This is a classic case of someone blowing up a few specific cases into something way too general.  The only Gamespot/IGN hate you see around here are generally new users who just got banned from those sites for being idiots...they usually don't last long here either.  As far as Jeff Gerstmann love goes, there are a select group who are distinctly weird about it, but most comments are made in jest and aren't really serious.  

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By Chris2KLee

FLAME ON!

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
@Axxol said:
"Yeah, don't point other people and call them ignorant! "

Except ign cuz its in thur name trolololol 

On topic, Yes ive noticed it too. They also don't much care for GT.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Evilsbane
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
" @Axxol said:
"Yeah, don't point other people and call them ignorant! "
Except ign cuz its in thur name trolololol 
Ahaha thats worth a Trolololol
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By csl316

I don't mind IGN, I just don't think it's as awesome as it once was.  A lot of the best staffers took off, and although I always thought Hilary Goldstein was entertaining on podcasts and such, once he took over editorial content the quality bar just dropped.  Jeremy Dunham never struck me as likeable, but when he was in charge I loved that site.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Gamestop? More like Lamestop. Amirite?

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rflx

Well, I have no strong opinions about Gamespot or IGN. And I have no strong feelings about any of the Giant Bomb crew.

... Well, maybe Vinny. <3

Does that mean I'm not a true Giant Bomb user?

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Aronman789

I've never gone to IGN, and Gamespot I didn't like their videos. 
Also I just think some of Jeff's jokes are funny, but he's not the best dude in GB, that is Vinny.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BaneFireLord

I personally am quite fond of GameSpot. But then, I started using their site over a year after Gerstmangate.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By X19

I would still be listening to the Hotspot if Tom Mc Shea  didn't appear every week. Hearing him speak over/ talk shit to Kevin VanOrd and the rest of the GS crew just pushed me away from the site for good. 

I use Destructoid and GiantBomb as that seems to give me all the info and entertainment I need.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By danimal_furry

I think Jeff just makes himself more visable. I don't see him as a favorite. In fact, I like different people associated with this site for different reasons. Giant Bomb is set up where you can draw your own conclusions based on whose tastes represent your own. I listen to Vinny a bit more because I am not in love with online multiplayer. I listen to Ryan, because he understands good Wii games. I listen to Brad, because he likes some great classic games. Jeff is and endless source of gaming knowledge. Dave likes less mainstream games. There are a lot of options. As for the guys behind the scenes, everyone likes those people.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By august
@nohthink: You forgot how good we smell. We smell amazing.
Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tsoglani

I don't mind Gamespot, but I have noticed their extreme bias and rubbish increase over the years... but I wouldn't go as far to lump ALL GB users in 2 categories! 

As for IGN, I do not mind those guys at all.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By AhmadMetallic

no shit

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DjCmeP

I don't hate IGN.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By jakob187

I don't hate either of those sites.  I also don't LOVE Jeff Gerstmann.  I think he's a rad dood whose game reviews I trust.

SneakyPenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SneakyPenguins

I like all the Whiskey cast, and IGN sucks a lot so people have a very good reason to hate them 

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FlyingRat

I can sort of see where you're coming from... I guess....? Even if you are blowing it way out of proportion.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By cornbredx

I have noticed neither of these things as being a large majority on this site.

Ya, there is some 12 year olds that only hate on stuff because of certain things and love everything about what Jeff does, but that's a minority. 

Most here, that I have experienced, are fairly intelligent and are looking for honest reviews that seem in alignment with their game play views so they know if something is any good. They're also here because this site is entertaining. A lot of them use several sites besides giant bomb for reviews- some don't use Giant Bomb for reviews at all.

Anyway, it's great that your comments come off as uninformed- I don't have to take you seriously. 

BTW, I'm more of a fan of Ryan and Vinny. Jeff is a hilarious dude, and I love when he gets to joke around, but his game play views couldn't be more different then my own. When it comes to Brad it seems sometimes i agree with him, sometimes I don't. They're all cool dudes, but I dont take anyones opinion and make it my own. I make (or have) an informed opinion about most things I see or do in life based on research. They merely facilitate that for me.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By ez123

1.)No, maybe people think GB is much better than those sites, which is a valid opinion to have.

2.)Nah, Vinny's the slight favorite and a majority of members appreciate all four of the main crew, Drew, Dave, etc.    

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#44  Edited By EpicSteve

It's fair to say that a large reason why most of us are here is the personalities of the staff. Jeff has a vast knowledge on videogames and can articulate his opinions well. Of course I'm going to listen to his opinions on subject I'm interested in. I can't speak for all users, but i have no beef with GameSpot and Ign as companies. I don't use GameSpot, there's no real reason behind that. Just that I can only devote my time to so many gaming sites. Ign is a fine site, i just wouldn't touch their message boards with a 5ft stick. 

isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By isles

Surely this comes with the territory? I don't think it that strange that people agree with someone with such prominently displayed views and opinions and let's face it, funny people are easier to like. 

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MikeFightNight

You are wrong about the Jeff mancrush thing, I prefer Vinny myself. 
And as for hating other gaming websites, their is no room in my heart for hate, unless you do something to wrong me personally, then i'll kill you.  (The killing thing was a joke by they way..or was it?) MUHAHAHAHA...it was.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Detrian

Notice how I don't give a fuck about your observations. How about that.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#48  Edited By StarvingGamer

Jeff is more of a "hardcore" gamer than his cohorts which means I typically agree with his opinions more. But honestly, I hate GameSpot and IGN because their sites are kinda gross and the amount of crap you have to wade through to reach anything resembling quality content is not worth it to me personally.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By armaan8014

no

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By tmthomsen

I'm putting you in the "Likes IGN/Gamespot and is not particularly fond of Jeff Gerstmann"-category. 

You're just angry about the responses to the Killzone 3 review thread.