#1 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Outlast is free with PS+ this month. I've never played a pure horror game before. The trend to these kinds of experiences went right over my head. Well - I finally got to play one of these *Prey Simulators*, and damn if Outlast wasn't an amazing ride.

From where I'm sitting, these horror games are all about the threat of death, but never about dying. The few times I didn't organically *get it* right away - when I died too often - the horror stopped working for me. Death breaks immersion. Outlast really nails the balance between palpable mortal danger, and not letting the player die.

Anyways. It might just be that I played it in relatively short sessions, but it felt like a beefy and significant game. A game that deserves all the attention it can get. I find it pretty fucked up how few outlets actually reviewed the PS4 version, and put it in the limelight it so deserves. It's an all-new audience playing Outlast now, and it's a shame that it doesn't get its dues from the press. Barely any of the big sites reviewed it, according to Metacritic. For shame!

That said, if you haven't yet. Play Outlast, regardless of platform. It's not to be missed.

#2 Posted by Milkman (16526 posts) -

It's a pretty fun roller coaster ride. Absolutely worth playing through, especially for free. That ending, though...dumb, dumb, dumb. Just completely off the rails.

#3 Posted by CornBREDX (4806 posts) -

It's alright for the first 2 or 3 hours or whatever. Somewhere around the middle it stops being scary because the game is a one trick pony, but ya still definitely worth checking out.

I don't have a PS4, so I cant speak to that, but ya play it on your preferred platform of choice and enjoy it. It's fun for the most part.

The ending is kind of dumb, though.

#4 Edited by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

Even though I was hugely disappointed in the lack of actual scariness (and when Machine For Pigs hit right after and suffered the same thing... man, I was not a happy fear junkie), it's definitely worth playing. I really liked the various characters and setpieces. If nothing else, the night vision effect may be the best in any game ever, and never stops being cool to look at.

My one major issue with it is that (and this isn't a story spoiler, but it can ruin the game for you, so don't read this if you plan on playing) once you realize that the enemies aren't actually a threat at all, it sort of "breaks" the game. Seriously, go load up a save and mess with the chase AI. Note how you can run directly into that one beefy dude and just sidle around him without consequence. Hiding is totally unnecessary.

#5 Posted by Mustainium (64 posts) -

Thought the first couple of minutes were excellent, but I checked out once it turned into another stealth game. I'll certainly finish it, but it's now been demoted to the back of the backlog.

#6 Edited by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

As one who paid money and finished it, I wouldn't say it's great. It's good, and has some pretty nice moments, but I felt it lacked in so many areas, and the ending was so unwelcome I pretty much forgot about the entire game. It tries something new, and almost succeeds, but falls into pretty generic. I love horror, and it was a disappointment. That said, if you can get it for free? Play it for sure

#7 Posted by CornBREDX (4806 posts) -

@shagge: Your spoiler tag theory is not completely true. I was killed multiple times in the game when it expects you to hide.

I'm not gonna say the game is great -it's certainly flawed- but to suggest there is no threat at all is disingenuous.

#8 Posted by ShaggE (6331 posts) -

@cornbredx: Yeah, it's not 100% effective, but it works often enough to be a major bummer.

#9 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2224 posts) -

Instead of the ending it had, it should've given you a baseball or machate or something and just fuck everyone up and make that Condemned vibe to it come full circle

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

I'm liking it quite a bit but like others have said once you start to learn the tricks it has in its arsenal its not nearly as scary as it is in the opening moments when you're not even sure what to expect. That being said having heard about the ending I want to see this thing through to the end to see it myself.

#11 Edited by BoOzak (881 posts) -

The only thing that really bothered me about this game was the 'find/activate 3 things' trope of "pure horror" games. This is my first one since Silent Hill Shattered Memories but I forgot how annoying it can be. Looks good though, and there were some great moments. (some of them were ruined by cheesy music/humming) It really made me want a new Condemned though. ;(

#12 Edited by MightyDuck (1502 posts) -

Definitely made sure to set it to my psn downloads since it's free this month. Will definitely download it once I have a PS4.

I have no interest in it, but my wife is definitely looking forward to it.

#13 Posted by Vanick (318 posts) -

I'm pretty desensitized to horror so I didn't find it too scary but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I Thought it had really good sound design and a really great atmosphere. I'm looking forward to playing the DLC when it comes out.

#14 Edited by ripelivejam (3538 posts) -

with how people hate on the ending, i wonder if i'll end up actually liking it? (probably only kinda?)

it's sitting in my steam library but i've got so much to play. also i'm a wuss. :(

#15 Posted by SunBroZak (1016 posts) -

I loved it on the PC. One of my favourites of last year. The horror element does wear off at a certain point, but the production quality was enough for me to have fun all the way through. It's a very pretty game.

#16 Posted by darkvare (758 posts) -

@shagge: yeah pretty much noticed this in the first 20 minutes and dropped the game

#17 Posted by Quarters (1629 posts) -

I'm an hour or so in, and I've really enjoyed it so far. Like a weird blend of Condemned and Clock Tower, so I'm loving it. Also, it looks fantastic on the PS4, and runs super smooth, so that's always a plus.

#18 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (464 posts) -

@boozak said:

The only thing that really bothered me about this game was the 'find/activate 3 things' trope of "pure horror" games. This is my first one since Silent Hill Shattered Memories but I forgot how annoying it can be. Looks good though, and there were some great moments. (some of them were ruined by cheesy music/humming) It really made me want a new Condemned though. ;(

I've just convinced myself that this is Condemned 3 and I should be happy with it. None the less, I would beat up a hobo with a mannequin arm for a new Condemned game (provided they kept the JupiterEX engine from 2).

#19 Posted by ChoboBot (128 posts) -

I didn't have the balls to play this game. Not played much horror games, I find them too stressful for me. I played around 10 mins and them deleted it, lol.

#20 Posted by yakov456 (1899 posts) -

Played through it with headphones on. Never got old. Got the chills/jumped many times. If this was boring for you I feel bad.