Does this game make anyone else really angry?

• 114 results
AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I don't know what it is about this game, but I feel like I've raged more in this game during matches than any other multiplayer game. I don't know why I get so angry. Normally I'm fairly level headed when it comes to competitive shooters. But this game in particular can really set me off. I've never had a problem with losing in other games, but when I lose here it usually peaks my rage. Maybe it is something about the heavy reliance on different character classes and teamwork. Or the long walk after death. I usually play pub games without a mic and usually have a pretty good time. I wouldn't consider myself a try hard, but when there is a weak link on my team it can be rather frustrating. I was curious on what you duders feel about your time with the game and if it has caused such frustrations. Don't get me wrong. I think this game is fantastic and adore playing it, but the rage it can cause me forces me to play in short bursts.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Dota2 and you would be a match in heaven.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes. But I know it's me and not the game and when it reaches that point I know it's time to take a break. The worst thing to do is keep going and let your anger build.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

Sometimes. But I know it's me and not the game and when it reaches that point I know it's time to take a break. The worst thing to do is keep going and let your anger build.

Amen

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By geirr

Frustration now and then but that's mostly after trying so hard to get down that last ramp at the Anubis level just to be picked off by three turrets for the millionth time. Or when you finally get there with most of your team for cap and, poof, massive dragon wipes your hard work away because you celebrated for just one second.

The long run from spawn to objective often reminds me of the runs in Dark Souls from bonfire to boss. It's like reflection time: What can I do differently? How do I counter X & Y? What am I doing with my life? etc.

It's a really good game.

vizard1301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I get mad sometimes if my whole team hanzo and widowmaker on attack.It's best to just take a quick break after a bad game and recuperate.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only when we're attacking and two idiots pick widowmaker or widowmaker and a hanzo

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By gundogan

Yea, sometimes it's frustrating to know it's a lost cause because of the team compositions and the unwillingness of players to change (hot tip: Overwatch is all about changing heroes to the map/objective and/or to counter the enemy). But the games are short and matchmaking works good enough to not feel bad to either sit it out or just leave.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I get mad sometimes if my whole team hanzo and widowmaker on attack.It's best to just take a quick break after a bad game and recuperate.

That, glhf pushing the payload by yourself with rest of the team sitting back and sniping.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Compared to TF2 (by far it's closest analogue), I've certinaly found myself getting more frustrated with Overwatch. For me I think it's the Bizzard forumla of stuns, cooldowns and burst damage that raises the rage levels. TF2 had some good bouncy duels in 1v1 situations, but so many of Overwatches encounters are all based on 'gotcha' ability uses which I think are just less fun to pull on people, and certianly more infuriating to get killed by.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhh sometimes? I mean back in the day when it came to games of COD it was all the time, but when it was TF2 I never got frustrated, but with Overwatch it can vary. I guess it depends on how competent the enemy team is and how incompetent is my team.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theres nothing more annoying than getting repeatedly chewed up by 3 Beard Dwarf Turrets while the rest of your team are playing as fucking Widowmaker. WHY WOULD YOU PLAY AS A FUCKING SNIPER WHEN WERE TRYING TO COMPLETE AN OBJECTIVE THAT REQUIRES YOU TO BE NEXT TO A THING WHICH IS MOVING??

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

Not really, though I'm beginning to have a growing hatred for Windowmaker. Actually played a match with three Windowmakers even yesterday, insanity.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've only gotten really upset once so far, but managed to contain it and chill out before the next round. It helps when you can vent on voice to someone. Years of moba practice will teach you a lot about anger managment issues.......

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gundogan

@planetfunksquad: no no no, hero stacking is a fun and legit strategy that only adds positive things to the game. /sticks head in sand.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetfunksquad: seriously. So annoying when you have a widowmaker while attacking and the enemy constantly has turrets or bastions up. That should be a sniper's number one priority while attacking.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a lot of the frustration comes from it being a very hard game to be successful playing solo. It's one of those games you need a good group of people to play with to truly have a great time with it. Sometimes you'll naturally get there playing with random people, most of the time not.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I've pinpointed down my biggest frustration with the game to one single thing. Snipers are incentivized to not go for headshots. While you certainly do more damage with headshots you can easily get by with bodyshots (even if you don't one-shot, you hit them hard enough to make them useless in a fight), and taking away the skill ceiling to sniping just ruins the game for everyone else.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By BabyChooChoo

There's a lot of shit that can happen in this game that I personally find frustrating and it's why I too play in short bursts. Honestly, I don't care about losing. It's that feeling of powerlessness that drives me nuts. It's like "I can't find a way to help my team win because either they don't give a fuck or we're just getting outplayed and there isn't shit we can do." It can still be tons of fun losing games where there's a good back and forth and it feels as if your entire team contributes. Shit happens and there can only be one winner. I can deal with that. But one-sided matches aren't fun at all, especially when you're on the receiving end.

Thank god the matches are so short though otherwise I would have already quit.

Playing with a premade group is pretty much also out of the question for me. Much like Jeff, I tend to jump on randomly, get a few games in, and take a break. I don't have a set time. I don't have a certain number of games I want to play. I don't want to sit there and wait for 15 minutes for so-and-so to show up. It's all based on how I feel at that specific moment in time.

Hamborgini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a very competitive person, so even if the team composition is poor and we're losing badly, I just try to laugh it off and have fun with the situation. I like to win, of course, but as long as we don't get completely shut down the entire game, I can have a fun even while losing. It's only other people getting upset over voice chat that gets on my nerves.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to people to stop playing the game like it's TDM.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well speaking from beta experience it is without a doubt the slow ealk and respawn time. Its a game with a pick up and play feel, but forcing that long wait to get into action makes dying and losing (especially on bad teams) infuriating. I would get to a point where i turned the game off out of anger for like 20 minutes then hop back on lol.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@mems1224 said:

Only when we're attacking and two idiots pick widowmaker or widowmaker and a hanzo

Hey, nothin' wrong with pickin' Hanzo. Ever.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

Have to say though that some members of the community on PC are real dicks online, was playing with a friend yesterday who hadn't played before and some twat constantly verbally attacked her because she wasn't playing Junkrat right, seen some of it online today to. I know it's to be expected but Overwatch seems a pretty laid back affair when it comes to online shooters, it's one of the reason it's so much fun.

Still, 99.9% of the community as been great so far. Some folks taking it to seriously I think. :D

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bigsocrates  Online

I don't really get frustrated with the game even when losing badly because it's just an opportunity to hero switch and try a new tactic. The game is designed to put very little emphasis on winning, with a relatively low XP reward and no real post-game stats screen for teammates, so I focus on playing the objective, playing my class, and letting the chips fall where they may.

I also find that playing in a team oriented way can get others to do so as well (not playing as a team is the best way to get frustrated.) Throw armor on a few people as Symmetra, bring a wiped team back to the objective quick with Luccio, or even slap down some well-placed healing stations as Soldier 76 and most people will start acting in a more team-oriented way.

Of course some people just want to go off and freelance as one character regardless of whether it's helpful (I like to be charitable and think they're trying to learn a new character and not that they're just antisocial lone wolves who should really be playing COD, which is very lone wolf friendly) but I take those opportunities to try to learn some new characters myself, and then I leave matchmaking for a minute to get matched up with a new group.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zaccheus

Not really.

Some general tips if you want to win, especieally with strangers:

If you feel like you are not getting anything done in a game switch your hero! If you are Farah and Widowmaker shoots you out of the sky time and time again: stop, switch to tracer and murder that Widowmaker. If your team is lacking something that you think it need, like a tank: switch to a tank yourself. If you play with strangers be prepared to be the one who changes his playstyle to benefit the team. Also I suggest using the "group up" and "my ultimate is ready" callouts. It doesn't always work but sometimes it works as a wake up call to players if everyone is just running around on their own.

Because hero switching is a very important part of the game: play many heroes. Don't think "I'm a Genji main" so even if it doesn't fit the team composition or benefit the team signifiganty I'm gonna stick with it. With people you know it's obviously different and you can actually cordinate and generally have more evenly good experience even if you lose. Often you find that at least 2/5 players in your game know what's going on and are willing to work with you and that can easily win a game against a team that are not really trying. Don't be a dick... If you start to yel to your team it is only going to get worse. Some players are new and they have the same right to play the game as you.

tl;dr: Be the player who switches heroes to benefit the team, don't expect anyone else to do it. Use the quick call outs to wake up players who keep running around on their own or if you get into a "trickle in loop" where everyone runs alone from the spawn to the objective to die. Wait for others at the spawn if they are dead.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjweatherman: definitely not but I mean when you have both. It's hard to push when you have two people back

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Sessh

Since I'm only playing with randoms I do get angry sometimes.

It's the same shit as with every other competitive online game, though. Tons of people ignoring going for the objective (potentially they don't even understand the objective), running around senselessly on their own and fucking everyone picking the same character over and over. I can't seem to play a single game without at least 3 people playing as Bastion/Reaper/Soldier 76.

To sum it up: People are idiots, but that's par for the course. Also: Bastion should get nerfed.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Random heroes solved any salt I had with the game, regular is too dominated by a handful of boring heroes to be interesting most of the time.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it would make me more upset if I hadnt put myself thru the ringer of Dota and Starcraft for years. This game is straight up relaxing compared.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jorbit

There's many factors contributing to frustration with this game. The main one is that it's team-based, and you're required to team up with random people. If those random people aren't team players, then it's a recipe for disaster. The second problem, which amplifies the first, is the fact that this game just came out and there's a lot of people flooding into it for the first time. A lot of people who have no teamplay experience, don't know the heroes, don't know the rules of the game, etc.

I really do think this will get better with time. Right now, yes, I get a lot of frustrating games. You just can't let it get to you though.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I first started for sure. Getting killed so fast and having the death timer + walk back to the objective being 20 or more seconds was frustrating.

But after getting used to the gameplay and always playing in a 6 person group where we just have fun, no reason to get upset. The matches are so short it's easy to move onto the next one.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shiro2809

I don't get annoyed at losing, only when people are just playing stupidly. Symmetra? Put fucking shields on people. two widowmakers on attack? no. there's no need for that. Everyone going to payload and all but one-two people go the exact opposite direction to take out one Hanzo? Fuck you guys. My whole team at entrance to get into a point to take it while I circle and distract a majority of their team so they have time to push forward and they just don't do anything? I'm out.

The last two things, no matter what I do it's doomed anyway since the rest of my team just seem so incompetent to actually move in push or anything. It's frustrating as hell to lose because of that. If my salt levels raise to critical I just sit on main menu and browse the net for a bit and/or do a few bot matches.

On a side note, as someone that hated bastion in the beta I don't mind him nearly as much as Torb's turret. Fought against a team of 5 (with a Hanzo/S76/Mercy throughout) of them on Hamanura and we just steamrolled them. It was insane how easy it was, and they were all set up in a decent pattern covering every angle. Torb's instant auto-aiming/perfect accuracy turrent is annoying.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of things that ended up really annoying me about TF2 seem to be rife in this game. Stuff like grenade/projectile spam, insta-kill arrows, weapons that slow you down, too many turrets, ect. Obviously these things all serve a purpose and in many cases it's down to the game type, ie payload is generally going to have a lot more spam directed at the cart, but I don't find a lot of these things fun to play against. In TF2 it became less of an issue for me after playing with good players who don't really rely on these crutches so I'm hoping as I move up in ranking that the same thing will happen. I'm also hoping they rebalace a couple of abilities because McCree only spamming fan the hammer, instantly dying from Hanzo's scatter arrow when he can't even see me and Junkrat being able to roll grenades from miles away while still doing full damage could use some tweaking in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far I've only gotten annoyed when I'm playing as Reinhardt and I'm shielding so our team can move through a choke point and then no one moves with me and then I'm just SOL.

SumMexican75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Attacking agaisnt a team with 3 turrents and a bastion..... sigh

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

actually, no. I don't know if it's the colorful graphics, the lighthearted characters, or the quickness of matches, but I find even when I lose the game, I don't care and had fun. Maybe that speaks to how well the different Heroes are designed, they are fun to play win or lose. Also the game doesn't really have any competitive hooks, so I don't care if I lose.

It's a nice change because I used to rage like crazy losing PVP oriented things, it's the reason I stopped getting those style of games. But this one is just fun!

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Eh, I don't really get any more or less frustrated than I do with any multiplayer shooter. When I start to get pissed off I remind myself I'm playing to have fun, leave and find another match, and change up my tactics. Or I take a break.

Avatar image for presidentofjellybeans
PresidentOfJellybeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

turrets.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time i got annoyed was when the opposing team went all Reapers and just destroyed my team. However, that was partially my fault since I didn't switch off of Hanzo in time to stop there tatic.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have tendency to get frustrated even after two losses in a row, but looking at the overall stats helps to gain some perspective, I've still won 55% of the games so I'm actually above average. Then again, that frustration seems to lead into new breakthroughs as I stop caring about playing what I perceive to be the right character and just mess around with other characters I'm not used to or comfortable with.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game can get me pretty riled up. But that's normal (unfortunately) for most shooters I play. I'd say I'm pretty decent at multiplayer shooters so when things aren't going well it tends to get under my skin pretty quickly.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Overwatch makes me happy and as a result doesn't really bring the rage.

Playing in a group I think does help. It is more fun to have close games with a lot of back and forth, or just winning in general, than it is to have the other team steamroll you. Sometimes I see that as a result of people not adapting to what the other team is doing, like continuing to throw things at a wall against sniper fire, turrets, or Bastion.

I really appreciate the team aspects of these games and don't think I lost because of something that was solely my fault. When I played Hearthstone on the other hand and I lost 5 or 6 matches in a row for an hour straight, there were times where that would get really devastating.

runtheflowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

900 hours of TF2 has made me highly resistant to most common forms of salt.

Two Widowmakers? Still better than 5 snipers and 3 spies on payload attackers. No support? Stop the presses. People not playing the objective? Fucking duh.

But what really gets me is people talking shit to new players. The game has been out for what, 3 days, officially? And you're really going to throw slurs around because your team didn't win? This isn't a platinum league competitive match, chill.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Welcome to team based shooters where having a poorly balanced team, or people not properly playing their class can lose you the game. I should really be used to it by now with how much DOTA 2 and TF2 I've played, but I still get plenty pissed when I see stuff like this.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The matches are so short that there's very little time for frustration to actually set in for me.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering you're saying you mostly (only?) play pub games with no mic, I would just stop worrying about wins. Even if a teammate or your whole team is doing bad, just have fun playing it. Find characters you enjoy and play those. Don't think competitive.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Yes, solo queue in this game pisses me off to no goddamn end.

To be fair, though, solo queue in ANY cooperative competitive objective-based multiplayer game pisses me off to no goddamn end.

It's worse than cancer. It's like you were diagnosed with cancer after dying five minutes beforehand with a cactus shoved up your ass with no lube and a Nazi stabbing your kidney with a mechanical pencil.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MezZa

Occasionally. I make mistakes, struggle to learn new characters/roles, or get less than cooperative teams at times. Probably the most frustrating thing is people who have no concept of picking your best hero that works for the situation/team and not the one you have to play every single game no matter what. I've played enough mobas to be used to it though. If I find myself getting frustrated, I just alt+tab and do something else for a few minutes. Then I come back and try to first pick Mercy so I can rock it and get a bunch of props to make me feel better at the end of the game.

If you're having problems with getting mad just set the game to mute all voice chat from people not in your group, and just try to enjoy playing the game itself. We're not in ranked yet, and random players don't mean anything really. Neither do wins or losses. I like to just focus on learning what works and what doesn't work with whatever character I end up playing for the team. Then once I get into a sizable group of friends or once ranked mode comes out that'll be when the competitive drive comes in.