• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

http://www.theonion.com/articles/dude-with-knit-hat-at-party-calls-beer-libations,32433/

I'm never sure how much I have to write here to avoid the thread getting locked. Is this enough? How about now? I really feel like the link and thread title are sufficient to kick off the discussion, but I know you can't just post links by themselves, so I'll keep typing.

Seriously though, for anyone who has watched Spookin' with Scoops, I think you'll understand why I brought this to everyone's attention.

#2 Posted by CaptainObvious (2996 posts) -

What?

#3 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4196 posts) -

Oh. its a hipster article. I understand. I'll allow it.

I also like beer.

#4 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

Sometimes, I wonder if I spend too much time reading this website.

Then I read a forum topic like this, and I think "Oh okay, whew. Still in jokes I don't know about."

#5 Posted by Pie (7078 posts) -

I don't....

What?

#6 Posted by leinad44 (506 posts) -

uhhhhh......what?

#7 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4715 posts) -

@crosstheatlantic said:

Then I read a forum topic like this, and I think "Oh okay, whew. Still in jokes I don't know about."

The joke is that Patrick is a hipster and The Onion wrote a short piece mocking hipsters.

Not very inside baseball.

#8 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@crosstheatlantic said:

The joke is that Patrick is a hipster and The Onion wrote a short piece mocking hipsters.

Well, I was giving it the benefit of the doubt that there was something in the article that referenced something Scoops directly said/did/whatever.

Now that's just disappointing.

#9 Edited by NegativeCero (2995 posts) -

Okay, sure. Someone tell me that the I.D. photo on Patrick's wiki page is real.

#10 Edited by TooWalrus (13167 posts) -

Boooooooo

#11 Posted by Brodehouse (9863 posts) -

That ID photo looks like he's the lead singer of a Streetheart covers bamd.

#12 Edited by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

This is what I'm truly interested in.

#13 Edited by Yummylee (21502 posts) -

@negativecero said:

Ditto.

#14 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

kill me

#15 Edited by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

Has no one else noticed that at the beginning of like every Spookin' with Scoops, Patrick makes a big deal out of pointing out that he is drinking some beer and refers to it as a libation? It's a pretty consistent pattern.

Come on, guys, I wouldn't post this if the only link were "Durr hurr hurr, they're both hipsters". I have standards.

#16 Posted by RazielCuts (2949 posts) -

*makes the sound of Jeff laughing when he makes a shit pun*

#17 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

No.

Also, my boss likes to call alcoholic beverages Libations. Dude is not a hipster.

#18 Posted by pyromagnestir (4296 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@ajamafalous said:

@negativecero said:

Ditto.

The id with that photo was shown in the Iceland video, no?

#19 Posted by dudeglove (7757 posts) -

wat

#20 Edited by Baillie (4080 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

No.

Also, my boss likes to call alcoholic beverages Libations. Dude is not a hipster.

Your boss may not be a hipster, but Patrick 'Scoops' Klepek sure is.

#21 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2683 posts) -

@crosstheatlantic said:

Patrick must seem like a hipster to people who have never actually seen a hipster. Patrick lacks any large amount of irony about anything he does, and totally lacks the necessary eye-rolling cynical nihilism to be a hipster.

#22 Posted by BaconGames (3371 posts) -

@toowalrus said:

Boooooooo

I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

Boo.

#23 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Well, you get an F for trying at least.

#24 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Has no one else noticed that at the beginning of like every Spookin' with Scoops, Patrick makes a big deal out of pointing out that he is drinking some beer and refers to it as a libation? It's a pretty consistent pattern.

Not everybody watches the feature. Hell, I'm not even sure when the last update on it was.

#25 Edited by EuanDewar (4891 posts) -

@oldirtybearon said:

@crosstheatlantic said:

Patrick must seem like a hipster to people who have never actually seen a hipster. Patrick lacks any large amount of irony about anything he does, and totally lacks the necessary eye-rolling cynical nihilism to be a hipster.

hipster is used all the time around here to describe just about everything

#26 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

@crosstheatlantic said:

Patrick is a hipster

u wot

#27 Posted by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

@video_game_king: Fair point. While the connection was immediately obvious to me because Patrick is the only person under 60 I've heard repeatedly say "libation", evidently people in this thread either don't watch that feature (it came back when a user sent Patrick a full PC a month or two back) or must not think "libation" is as rarely used as I think it is.

#28 Posted by wrecks (2241 posts) -

good one

#29 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4196 posts) -

#30 Posted by oraknabo (1457 posts) -

I was expecting a headline along the lines of "First time ever: Disgruntled Giant Bomb community member makes thread about hating Patrick Klepek".

#31 Edited by RazielCuts (2949 posts) -

@monkeyking1969 said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@crosstheatlantic said:

hipster is used all the time around here to describe just about everything

That's exactly what a Hipster would say!

#32 Edited by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

@oraknabo said:

I was expecting a headline along the lines of "First time ever: Disgruntled Giant Bomb community member makes thread about hating Patrick Klepek".

I totally don't hate Patrick at all!

But c'mon, he totally says libation(s) like every time he does a livestream of scary games.

#33 Posted by UberExplodey (939 posts) -
#34 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

slow news day, huh?

#35 Posted by KarlPilkington (2716 posts) -
#36 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

This.

#37 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

@video_game_king: Fair point. While the connection was immediately obvious to me because Patrick is the only person under 60 I've heard repeatedly say "libation", evidently people in this thread either don't watch that feature (it came back when a user sent Patrick a full PC a month or two back) or must not think "libation" is as rarely used as I think it is.

I get the joke of the thread, but I guess I just also see the fun in using obscure words. Sure, I don't say "libation" specifically, but I cultivate my own idiosyncratic diction. Alright, maybe I'm laying it on a little thick there, but what Patrick does is no worse than Ryan's deliberately awkward pronunciations. I'm sure you've heard how that guy says "sword".

#38 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

@bisonhero said:

I get the joke of the thread, but I guess I just also see the fun in using obscure words. Sure, I don't say "libation" specifically, but I cultivate my own idiosyncratic diction. Alright, maybe I'm laying it on a little thick there, but what Patrick does is no worse than Ryan's deliberately awkward pronunciations. I'm sure you've heard how that guy says "sword".

I got blocked from his twitter because he corrected some guys spelling of some word and then I called him on his weird "schvords" thing.
He also uses "fake/Incorrect/nonstandard" words like Irregardless for some reason.

But it's all fun and games.

#39 Edited by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

@zeforgotten said:

@scrawnto said:

@bisonhero said:

I got blocked from his twitter because he corrected some guys spelling of some word and then I called him on his weird "schvords" thing.

He also uses "fake/Incorrect/nonstandard" words like Irregardless for some reason.

I still believe that Ryan mispronouncing words as an affectation is 100% a smokescreen that Ryan thinks will distract from the fact that he is legitimately terrible at pronouncing most foreign words, and some more obscure English words. Not to pick on just Ryan, as Jeff isn't exactly Hemmingway either, but Jeff seems honest about situations where he doesn't know something, and I totally respect that, compared to what I perceive as Ryan trying to seem more knowledgeable than he really is.

#40 Posted by Legion_ (1270 posts) -

I get it. Coloradi part made me laugh.

#41 Edited by Legion_ (1270 posts) -

@bisonhero: Ryan is God. Best watch it here PLAYAH.

#42 Edited by Abendlaender (2785 posts) -

Nope, don't get it.

I'm stupid though so that might be on me

#43 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@zeforgotten said:

@scrawnto said:

@bisonhero said:

I still believe that Ryan mispronouncing words as an affectation is 100% a smokescreen that Ryan thinks will distract from the fact that he is legitimately terrible at pronouncing most foreign words, and some more obscure English words. Not to pick on just Ryan, as Jeff isn't exactly Hemmingway either, but Jeff seems honest about situations where he doesn't know something, and I totally respect that, compared to what I perceive as Ryan trying to seem more knowledgeable than he really is.

Huh, never actually thought of it that way.
Now that you mention it that would make at least more sense than him just doing it for the fun of it and all the laughs it gets.

#44 Posted by BisonHero (6440 posts) -

@zeforgotten said:

@bisonhero said:

@zeforgotten said:

@scrawnto said:

@bisonhero said:

Huh, never actually thought of it that way.

Now that you mention it that would make at least more sense than him just doing it for the fun of it and all the laughs it gets.

No one said it couldn't be both. :P

#45 Posted by joey (983 posts) -

I have a question: What is the definition for the word "hipster"?

#46 Posted by toddster (19 posts) -

@joey: Someone you get mad at because they appear to be having more fun than you are.

#47 Posted by 71Ranchero (2738 posts) -

@joey said:

I have a question: What is the definition for the word "hipster"?

Its todays "emo". Those guys with jelly arms that walk around listening to pop indie music and wear ugly clothes and bad hair on purpose. They tend to crowd around random garbage hot glued together into "art" and consume large amounts of the weakest hot sauce ever invented.

#48 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

I'm not a subscriber so I've never seen Spookin with Scoops so I didn't get the joke at all.

#49 Posted by CornBREDX (5100 posts) -

Yep, this thread could be locked and no one would be missing anything.

#50 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4967 posts) -

Good stuff.