Guys, The Onion wrote a piece about Patrick

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

http://www.theonion.com/articles/dude-with-knit-hat-at-party-calls-beer-libations,32433/

I'm never sure how much I have to write here to avoid the thread getting locked. Is this enough? How about now? I really feel like the link and thread title are sufficient to kick off the discussion, but I know you can't just post links by themselves, so I'll keep typing.

Seriously though, for anyone who has watched Spookin' with Scoops, I think you'll understand why I brought this to everyone's attention.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

What?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Oh. its a hipster article. I understand. I'll allow it.

I also like beer.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Sometimes, I wonder if I spend too much time reading this website.

Then I read a forum topic like this, and I think "Oh okay, whew. Still in jokes I don't know about."

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't....

What?

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

uhhhhh......what?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@crosstheatlantic said:

Then I read a forum topic like this, and I think "Oh okay, whew. Still in jokes I don't know about."

The joke is that Patrick is a hipster and The Onion wrote a short piece mocking hipsters.

Not very inside baseball.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crosstheatlantic said:

The joke is that Patrick is a hipster and The Onion wrote a short piece mocking hipsters.

Well, I was giving it the benefit of the doubt that there was something in the article that referenced something Scoops directly said/did/whatever.

Now that's just disappointing.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NegativeCero

Okay, sure. Someone tell me that the I.D. photo on Patrick's wiki page is real.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus

Boooooooo

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

That ID photo looks like he's the lead singer of a Streetheart covers bamd.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

This is what I'm truly interested in.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

@negativecero said:

Ditto.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

kill me

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BisonHero

Has no one else noticed that at the beginning of like every Spookin' with Scoops, Patrick makes a big deal out of pointing out that he is drinking some beer and refers to it as a libation? It's a pretty consistent pattern.

Come on, guys, I wouldn't post this if the only link were "Durr hurr hurr, they're both hipsters". I have standards.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*makes the sound of Jeff laughing when he makes a shit pun*

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

No.

Also, my boss likes to call alcoholic beverages Libations. Dude is not a hipster.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@yummylee said:

@ajamafalous said:

@negativecero said:

Ditto.

The id with that photo was shown in the Iceland video, no?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Baillie

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

No.

Also, my boss likes to call alcoholic beverages Libations. Dude is not a hipster.

Your boss may not be a hipster, but Patrick 'Scoops' Klepek sure is.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By monkeyking1969

@crosstheatlantic said:

Patrick must seem like a hipster to people who have never actually seen a hipster. Patrick lacks any large amount of irony about anything he does, and totally lacks the necessary eye-rolling cynical nihilism to be a hipster.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@toowalrus said:

Boooooooo

I'm glad I wasn't the only one!

Boo.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, you get an F for trying at least.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King

Has no one else noticed that at the beginning of like every Spookin' with Scoops, Patrick makes a big deal out of pointing out that he is drinking some beer and refers to it as a libation? It's a pretty consistent pattern.

Not everybody watches the feature. Hell, I'm not even sure when the last update on it was.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By EuanDewar

@oldirtybearon said:

@crosstheatlantic said:

Patrick must seem like a hipster to people who have never actually seen a hipster. Patrick lacks any large amount of irony about anything he does, and totally lacks the necessary eye-rolling cynical nihilism to be a hipster.

hipster is used all the time around here to describe just about everything

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crosstheatlantic said:

Patrick is a hipster

u wot

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: Fair point. While the connection was immediately obvious to me because Patrick is the only person under 60 I've heard repeatedly say "libation", evidently people in this thread either don't watch that feature (it came back when a user sent Patrick a full PC a month or two back) or must not think "libation" is as rarely used as I think it is.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

good one

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I was expecting a headline along the lines of "First time ever: Disgruntled Giant Bomb community member makes thread about hating Patrick Klepek".

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RazielCuts

@monkeyking1969 said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@crosstheatlantic said:

hipster is used all the time around here to describe just about everything

That's exactly what a Hipster would say!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BisonHero

@oraknabo said:

I was expecting a headline along the lines of "First time ever: Disgruntled Giant Bomb community member makes thread about hating Patrick Klepek".

I totally don't hate Patrick at all!

But c'mon, he totally says libation(s) like every time he does a livestream of scary games.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DonPixel

slow news day, huh?

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: Fair point. While the connection was immediately obvious to me because Patrick is the only person under 60 I've heard repeatedly say "libation", evidently people in this thread either don't watch that feature (it came back when a user sent Patrick a full PC a month or two back) or must not think "libation" is as rarely used as I think it is.

I get the joke of the thread, but I guess I just also see the fun in using obscure words. Sure, I don't say "libation" specifically, but I cultivate my own idiosyncratic diction. Alright, maybe I'm laying it on a little thick there, but what Patrick does is no worse than Ryan's deliberately awkward pronunciations. I'm sure you've heard how that guy says "sword".

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scrawnto said:

@bisonhero said:

I get the joke of the thread, but I guess I just also see the fun in using obscure words. Sure, I don't say "libation" specifically, but I cultivate my own idiosyncratic diction. Alright, maybe I'm laying it on a little thick there, but what Patrick does is no worse than Ryan's deliberately awkward pronunciations. I'm sure you've heard how that guy says "sword".

I got blocked from his twitter because he corrected some guys spelling of some word and then I called him on his weird "schvords" thing.
He also uses "fake/Incorrect/nonstandard" words like Irregardless for some reason.

But it's all fun and games.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BisonHero

@zeforgotten said:

@scrawnto said:

@bisonhero said:

I got blocked from his twitter because he corrected some guys spelling of some word and then I called him on his weird "schvords" thing.

He also uses "fake/Incorrect/nonstandard" words like Irregardless for some reason.

I still believe that Ryan mispronouncing words as an affectation is 100% a smokescreen that Ryan thinks will distract from the fact that he is legitimately terrible at pronouncing most foreign words, and some more obscure English words. Not to pick on just Ryan, as Jeff isn't exactly Hemmingway either, but Jeff seems honest about situations where he doesn't know something, and I totally respect that, compared to what I perceive as Ryan trying to seem more knowledgeable than he really is.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get it. Coloradi part made me laugh.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Legion_

@bisonhero: Ryan is God. Best watch it here PLAYAH.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By abendlaender

Nope, don't get it.

I'm stupid though so that might be on me

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeforgotten said:

@scrawnto said:

@bisonhero said:

I still believe that Ryan mispronouncing words as an affectation is 100% a smokescreen that Ryan thinks will distract from the fact that he is legitimately terrible at pronouncing most foreign words, and some more obscure English words. Not to pick on just Ryan, as Jeff isn't exactly Hemmingway either, but Jeff seems honest about situations where he doesn't know something, and I totally respect that, compared to what I perceive as Ryan trying to seem more knowledgeable than he really is.

Huh, never actually thought of it that way.
Now that you mention it that would make at least more sense than him just doing it for the fun of it and all the laughs it gets.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeforgotten said:

@bisonhero said:

@zeforgotten said:

@scrawnto said:

@bisonhero said:

Huh, never actually thought of it that way.

Now that you mention it that would make at least more sense than him just doing it for the fun of it and all the laughs it gets.

No one said it couldn't be both. :P

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

I have a question: What is the definition for the word "hipster"?

toddster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joey: Someone you get mad at because they appear to be having more fun than you are.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@joey said:

I have a question: What is the definition for the word "hipster"?

Its todays "emo". Those guys with jelly arms that walk around listening to pop indie music and wear ugly clothes and bad hair on purpose. They tend to crowd around random garbage hot glued together into "art" and consume large amounts of the weakest hot sauce ever invented.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm not a subscriber so I've never seen Spookin with Scoops so I didn't get the joke at all.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Yep, this thread could be locked and no one would be missing anything.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good stuff.