Is Giant Bomb going to PAX Australia? - UPDATE: No.

TheFridgeGC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

ShadowArtiste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey my name is Scott, I've been addicted to the podcast since near the very beginning all those years ago. This is my first actual post on the website though. I'll be at PAX and consider this my RSVP to the meet up. Lets get together and take one epic photo to show the bombcrew how much Australia appreciated Ryan.

I too was sad as hell about the news of Ryan's passing. It was the first time in my life I've legitimately mourned a person I've never met. Luckily my wife understood my pain and I have some close gamer friends that understood too. Also, I was born in 1979 too. It is absolutely shocking seeing Ryan Davis 1979 - 2013 cause that's my age and I'm still a young dude. So tragic. So wrong.

Anyways, I'll see you people there.

MonthlyRage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By MonthlyRage

I'm in. What time is everyone thinking?

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#154  Edited By randiolo

Id be down for this. Are we still working out a day and time?

jassa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By jassa

I'll be there.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hey guys,

So here's the details for the event at the moment.

WHEN: Friday, 19th of July
TIME: 7:30pm - Whenever
WHERE: The Cure - 164 Rathdowne St, Carlton VIC 3053

PUBLIC TRANSPORT OPTIONS:

Catch tram number 1 or 8 from the City to stop 112 - Elgin Street. The bar is about a ten minute walk from there.

Contact Details: 0434 385 891

There's a number of reasons I chose this place. I wanted something that was a nice distance from the city and the showgrounds, because I figure some people will be coming from the city centre, others may be catching cabs from PAX itself. I thought it was a good middle ground.

I also wanted a place that was a little cosy and warm, rather than a crazy party place. The guys have offered us their function room for free given the reason for the event, which is really nice of them. They have over 15 types of whiskey, plus regular spirits and limited beers and wines. The cheapest whiskey is $8, so it's about the same price as every other bar in Melbourne.

If too many people show, or we want to go out and get a little rowdy, there is also an American style dive bar across the road we can migrate to, so I thought it would be best of both worlds.

I have included my phone number for those who get lost or need some extra info.

See you all on Friday!

MonthlyRage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheers mate, thanks for arranging this. Looking forward to meeting you duders there.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm flying OS at 11:40pm on the Friday night, but I'd love to pop in beforehand to make a cameo appearance and raise at least two double-fisted glasses to one of the best duders who ever was.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know what drink they had with the Makers and mint at Ryan's wedding? Perhaps I can talk to the bar staff - they may be able to create a drink special for the night.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wish I could come, shame I'm underage.

Hope you guys have a blast!

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#161  Edited By EnchantedEcho

I should be there

alexeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Great work, thank you for organising. I'll be there, whiskey with 1 ice cube in hand.

IzunaDrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds fantastic, thanks so much for the effort hellerphant.

2 more days of work and then its a 6am flight to sunny Melbourne, awwww yeah.

How much of my money will Minotaur and Comics 'R' Us take this year? Unknown, thankfully it is less and less with each visit.

Drinking 10 yr old bourbon last week has opened my eyes...I am ready. I've also seen talk of a classic console museum that is freeplay, which has me positively buzzing.

No Caption Provided

Is Steven Seagal in IKL for Commodore 64?

One might say to see Turrican II would be worth the pilgrimage alone.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@izunadrop if you are after comics, check out All-Star Comics in Melbourne. Far friendlier than the douche bags at Minotaur, and they have a great selection of local Australian comics. They are by far the best in Melbourne, and they hold heaps of events to support the local scene. However if you are after memorabilia and the likes, Minotaur is your best option.

captpaulblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was gutted when finding out Ryan had passed away and I was so close to getting to meet him and Jeff, but I'm sure most people here are feeling the same. Haven't chatted to or met any fellow duders so I'm going to try and make it to the get together and raise a drink to one awesome guy

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You think they will have some sort of audio equipment we could use to play the Bombcast? By the time we're there the new episode will be up. It would be kinda cool to listen to it in honour of Ryan.

meganralph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellerphant: You're a champ, sounds great. I'll see you all on Friday for hugs and whiskey.

captpaulblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else bringing a 3DS? If so are there any games worth bringing along for some multiplayer?

jondan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captpaulblues said:

Was gutted when finding out Ryan had passed away and I was so close to getting to meet him and Jeff, but I'm sure most people here are feeling the same. Haven't chatted to or met any fellow duders so I'm going to try and make it to the get together and raise a drink to one awesome guy

This is pretty much where I'm at with all of this. I'll definitely try and make it to the Cure bar on Friday night. Thanks for lining it up @hellerphant. :D

Anyone else bringing a 3DS? If so are there any games worth bringing along for some multiplayer?

I'll have mine on me from streetpassin' all day at PAX, but I haven't played anything multiplayer since I got it a couple months ago.

All I have for it so far is Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, and Fire Emblem.

captpaulblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jondan:

I'll be streetpassin' it up like crazy too, I'll have animal crossing with at least. I might bring the other games too

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellerphant: that's legitimately awesome of you. The wife and I will do our best

Cammy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds awesome guys, my mate and I will look for the group drinking whiskey's I take it!

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds pretty awesome. I'll probably be there.

Except it clashes with The Zone screening. Have you no sense of history!? ;)

Avatar image for fissionmailed10
FissionMailed10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Meet-up sounds great will definitely be attending. Your tips with public transport are greatly appreciated, coming from sydney I'm not used to this whole tram thing, staying near flinders street station, should be easy enough.

Also have no idea how I'm going to attack street passing, I've only had about 5 this whole year that I've owned this thing.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellerphant: I actually had the same thought, but wasn't sure how 'cocktailly' the place would be. The drink is called Shipwreck on the Rocks, I found some varying recipes but the closest was on a Disney food blog or something weird.

I don't have the URL on my phone, but I believe bourbon, muddled mint, lime, agave nectar and maybe bitters were the key components?

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Sounds great guys. Hope to see you there!

Cammy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gutterkisser: Just a copy and paste from a google search, but yep pretty much the drink.

Shipwreck on the Rocks

-- Bourbon with Freshly Muddled Lemon and Mint with Agave Nectar.

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to it. Sounds great.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I shall be there, thanks @hellerphant. I'll be bringing along a friend who's also into GB, but doesn't frequent the forums much.

Avatar image for deactivated-61876872b43d2
deactivated-61876872b43d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Should be good. I'll try to make it.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By hellerphant

I'll see if they can make up some shipwrecks on the rocks for us, but not sure if they will bother getting the ingredients seeing as we aren't paying for the venue. Thanks for the support guys, glad I could pull this together for you all.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellerphant: Is there a tram to catch from the Showgrounds to the bar?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#183  Edited By audioBusting

Darn, I was looking forward to the meet-up (and PAX) but I fell sick.. The weather is so wack this past few days, you guys better watch out.

Lyriell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't actually know any of you duders, but I'd love to come for the catchup 'n have a drink in memory of Ryan :(

See you guys there hopefully!

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By audioBusting

If any of you wants to take trams, I think you can take no 57 from the Showgrounds to the Elizabeth/La Trobe stop, walk to Swanston (2-3 minutes away) then take the no 1 or 8 tram there.

edit: for trains, the Melbourne Central and Flinders stations can get you to the tram stops on Swanston.

jondan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By jondan

@audiobusting said:

If any of you want to take a tram, I think you can take 57 to the first Elizabeth St. stop, walk to Swanston (2-3 minutes away) then take the no 1 or 8 tram there.

Was just poking at the new Google Maps and this all checks out; tram 57 from Showgrounds to La Trobe/Elizabeth, walk 1 block to La Trobe/Swanston, then tram 1 or 8 up to Elgin/Lygon, and walk a few minutes more.

Cammy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Cammy

@hellerphant: Might be a little on the late side, but wondering about the dress code (never been to this place), should we be expecting a shirt at the least? Just don't want dudes to be turned down at the door or anything.

captpaulblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By captpaulblues

Also on the late side, would people heading to the bar at the same time be interested in meeting up at the show grounds and then head out?

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm shattered, still want make it but there's no way I'll be there by 7.30 - seems to be a common plight!

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubt I'll make it. I wanted to see a panel at 9:30 and had to bail on heading to the meet up before that because the venue is an eon away in today's weather. If anyone still wants to get from PAX to Carlton at 10:30 we can split a cab otherwise it's too much effort.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By gutterkisser

On my way now, a casual two hours late.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know this was on but I probably would've cried anyhow and I'm not big on social things. Good on you all for hooking up :(

TemplarNeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gah didn't realize this was on either, too late now!

Came to apologize to anyone who tried to say hello (was wearing by GB hoodie today) as I'm pretty sure my immediate reaction to being shoulder tapped and having someone yell "Fuck, Ryan Davis" in most cases was panic and fear until I figured out what was going on. It's not you, it's me! It was great seeing everyone else in their shirts and hoodies though.

abrasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Were you the young short dude with the blondish hair?

Jamakan_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks again for organising this. It was truely awesome meeting some other bombers face to face and shooting the breeze about Ryan. Hopefully you guys can get those photos up soon.

Until then, I was the dude in the leather jacket and Captain America shirt.

jondan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First time playing Cards Against Humanity. A++ would be a terrible person again.

IzunaDrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the great night everyone. Only just now have we jumped on a tram to attack PAX again. DOUBLE FISTING PREVAILS!

Wezmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What an awesome night! Catching up with all you rad duders was a blast. It felt really good to memorialise Ryan with some whiskey, Shipwreck on the rocks, great laughs and a rollicking game of Cards Against Humanity at the end.

I'm the guy with the CAH set, by the way. It seems my cards have fulfilled their destiny now, or something. :-D

Jondan, are you a Melbourne local? I'm often setting up CAH games here and there. Do you want me to let you know when the next one is?

And to the duder I was talking to who is going through Borderlands 2, if you want a hand, send me a friend request on Xbox Live. GT is Wezmon.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way, what are the must-visits on the show floor? I might finally go there tomorrow, with only the few hours I have I don't want to waste time.