• 77 results
Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#1 Marino  Staff
Come to PAX East. Play some games. Meet some cool people. Get groped by British DOTA fiends.
Come to PAX East. Play some games. Meet some cool people. Get groped by British DOTA fiends.

Three years ago, I put together a rather simple guide to help people who were going to the Penny Arcade Expo have the best time possible. Over the last few years, thanks to input from many members of the Giant Bomb community, we have built what I think is the best guide anyone could ever need to conquering PAX. As such, there's not really much need to change anything from the PAX Prime 2013version. So, whether you're a PAX rookie or if you just need a refresher before heading out to Boston for the fifth time, check out these pointers below.

If you're new to the guide and/or PAX, you may be asking why I do this. Well, this will be my eleventh PAX. I haven't missed one since I started going in 2008 (not counting PAX Australia). On top of that, from1997to 2006, I went to ten straight E3's. That's right...I'm old. Secondly, I've got a good bit of experience in making the most of time available at game conventions. So, help me help you by following these simple guidelines. And, if you have anything to add, let me know!

Wheaton's Law: Don't Be a Dick

PAX East 2010 Keynote
PAX East 2010 Keynote

I once wrote a blog about what I called The PAX Vibe. In it, I tried to describe the most indelible thing about PAX. The experience is as though you've come to some sort of reunion with tens of thousands friends you never knew you had. Whether it's an attendee, enforcer, exhibitor, panelist, or D-list Internet celebrity, virtually everyone has a permanent smile affixed to their face for three days. Wil Wheaton, said it best...

All of the things that make us weird and strange in the real world.

Those things that people tease us for loving.

Those things that we seem to care about more than anyone else at work and school.

Those things make us who we are.

And when we are at PAX, we don’t have to hide them, or explain them, or justify them to anyone.

We have come here this weekend because just playing games isn’t nearly as fun as playing them together, surrounded by thousands of people who love them just as much as we do.

Who to Follow

Robert Khoo
Robert Khoo

Twitter can be a life saver during PAX. Not just for organizing stuff with your friends, but also keeping up with what's going on throughout the show. Make sure you follow these Twitter accounts before you get there.

• @official_pax - All news, updates, changes.
  • @pax_lines - Keep track of panel lines as they fill up to max capacity.
  • @rkhoo - The man in charge.
  • @pax_tourney - What tournaments are going on and where?
  • @paxparties (unofficial) - Parties, meet-ups, tweet-ups, tabletop all-nighters, and bar crawls.

Giant Bomb @ PAX

PAX East 2011 - Shirts are optional at the Giant Bomb panel.
PAX East 2011 - Shirts are optional at the Giant Bomb panel.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that if you're here reading this, you're probably interested in going to panels involving Giant Bomb staff members. I know, crazy talk. Here's the who, what, and where that you need to know. Good luck figuring out what to do Sunday at 1:30 PM.

Friday

• 4:30 PM - Why Internet Jerks Aren't Going to Win - Patrick and Zoe Quinn - Dragonfly Theatre
  • 9:30 PM - Cards Against Humanity - Max Temkin and ????? - Condor Theatre

Saturday

• 9:00 PM - The Giant Bomb PAX Taipei 2016 Panel Preview Show - Albatross Theatre

Sunday

Traversing the T

Please don't steal this image and put it in your post-apocalyptic video game.
Please don't steal this image and put it in your post-apocalyptic video game.

This will be my seventh visit to Boston. It's easily one of my favorite places I've ever been. If you've never been, and you're flying into Logan, you're actually pretty close to the convention center already. You could pay for a cab, but you might as well hop on the Silver Line which will take you right past the convention center (if you were lucky enough to get a hotel nearby) and on to South Station, from which you can get anywhere in the city. The Silver Line from the airport is free, but once you get to South Station it's just a couple bucks a trip to wherever you're going. I usually put $20 on a on a prepaid card (there are kiosks for this) for the weekend. You might not need that much depending on your plans. Even for a small-town kid like me, it's pretty easy to get around subterranean Boston. If you're from a grid-based city, be prepared to potentially get lost if you are planning on walking the streets.

We have plenty of native Bostonians on the site though, so they can probably tell you a lot more hot tips than I can.

Personal Hygiene

The unwashed masses of PAX East 2013.
The unwashed masses of PAX East 2013.

First of all, for the sake of everyone at the show, please shower. Yes, every day. And use deoderant. It's not difficult. You're going to be doing more walking than you're probably used to doing. Aside from that, why is this so high on the list of tips? Well, after PAX Prime 2010, there was a confirmed case of H1N1 on my flight home. So, use the hand sanitizer whenever you can. There are generally dispensers set up all around the convention center and especially right outside the bathrooms. Or better yet, bring your own. You're going to be touching controllers that have been touched by people of varying degrees of sickness from all over the world. Be smart, and don't spend the week after PAX in misery.

Enforcers Are Awesome

All red shirts are here to help you, except for the ones that throw chairs.
All red shirts are here to help you, except for the ones that throw chairs.

The Enforcers are the incredible army of red shirts that volunteer their time in order to make sure that PAX is an enjoyable experience for everyone. Can't find the right panel room? Look for a red shirt. Need medical attention after experiencing the Harmonix Royal Rumble? Look for a red shirt. Can't figure out where Dave Lang is dishing outDivekick fraud stamps? Look for a red shirt. These guys and girls are stationed everywhere. If they ask you to do something, listen up. Respect them. Appreciate them. Buy them cookies.

Do Your Homework

Main lobby during PAX East 2012.
Main lobby during PAX East 2012.

The schedule is available right now online, but you should really download the app. It's called Guidebook, and it's the best. Either way you choose, skim through it, look at the presenters of every panel, and make a rough draft of what you'd like to see. Compare with your friends, look for overlaps, and start the excruciating process of deciding how to cut the least awesome things from your to-do list.

Planning ahead is a must. If you walk into Boston completely unprepared, you're going to either be a deer in headlights or a wandering madman. It's overwhelming. The key to planning ahead is to be flexible. Inevitably something will come up and you'll want to rearrange your plans. I'm going to tell you right now that you're simply not going to be able to do everything you want to do/see. Don't stress out about it. Stick to your plan as best you can, but have fun above all else.

The Omegathon: Final Round

Omegathon Finals - PAX East 2010.
Omegathon Finals - PAX East 2010.

The Omegathon is a three day tournament between attendees that were randomly selected weeks ahead of time by Penny Arcade's staff. If the trend continues, the PAX East version consists of two-person teams. You'll see that each round is on the schedule if you want to see a particular game they're playing, but the important one is the final round. The final round's game is always kept a closely guarded secret until just moments before the contestants are set to play it. Have you ever imagined being in the crowd for the final showdown in The Wizard? Well, this is it. Literally thousands of people cheering for a few of their peers as they battle head-to-head in Pong,Contra, Skeeball, Ikaruga, or whatever they come up with this year. It can't be weirder than Crokinole, right? Right?!

And it's all hosted by Gabe and Tycho from Penny Arcade. This is the perfect closing ceremony, and you should be there to experience it.

Hurry Up and Wait

The line for the 2011 PAX East Giant Bomb panel. This was about an hour before.
The line for the 2011 PAX East Giant Bomb panel. This was about an hour before.

As the years have gone by, attendance at PAX has only increased. You will inevitably be waiting in line for many things you intend to see and do. I've waited over an hour to see/play things like Dragon Age II,Mass Effect 3, Skate 3,The Last of Us, and others at E3. On the most popular panels (i.e. the Keynote, Giant Bomb, CAH, Mega64,Gearbox, and anything associated with Penny Arcade), you should arrive atleast an hour ahead to guarantee yourself a good seat.

So, be prepared. Bring your 3DS, Vita, Game Boy micro, or whatever it is you like. If you're a 3DS fan, you will get literally hundreds ofStreetPasses over the weekend. And regardless of your handheld gaming option of choice, you'll likely never find a better place in the world to jump into random multiplayer games. I once used Pictochaton my DS to solicit people to come play me in Hot Shots Golf on PSP...and it worked!

Do yourself a favor and avoid the line waiting for a while and check out all the indie games at the show, because that's some of the best stuff you'll find at PAX. The IndieMegaBooth has become an awesome place to just wander aimlessly and play stuff. If you see a game that has no line, PLAY IT! I don't care what it is. I played a game at PAX East 2013 about catching hamsters with a trampoline.

Backpacking Through New England

PAX East 2011 SWAG
PAX East 2011 SWAG

Many convention rookies make a mistake as soon as they leave their house. You simply must have a backpack of some kind. If you show up to PAX empty-handed, you'll be hurting and start to hate yourself by 2 PM. Some think you can just pick up one of those big, fold-out, paper bags from a booth, but there's no guarantee any booths are doing that. Plus, they're cumbersome, you'll be hitting people with it constantly as you squeeze through crowds, and you need to keep your hands free.

So, be smart. Bring your favorite backpack or messenger bag to throw all of your swag into. Your shoulders are going to be killing you by Monday, but it's your best option.

Expo Hall: It's a Trap!

PAX East 2012: @matt and @sweep gettin' sloppy in that f'n Pooyan.
PAX East 2012: @matt and @sweep gettin' sloppy in that f'n Pooyan.

The expo hall is where all the developers and publishers have booths set up to show off their upcoming games. You get to play stuff that's not out yet and typically talk to the people that are making them. It's awesome. But don't get stuck in there. Make sure to make your rounds through the convention center. Go out back and check out the TableTop area and learn how to play a new game. Hit up the Console Freeplay room and take your shot at some of the best fighting game players around. Think you're good enough? Enter one of the nearby tournaments (check the schedule). Need to take a break? Crash in the Handheld Lounge and rack up some StreetPasses. Head up to the Classic Console rooms for a bit and take a look at the massive library of gaming's past, pick out something you loved and play it with some people. And don't forget to hang out in the Classic Arcade for some fuckin' Pooyan. No quarters or tokens necessary, but please respect the cabinets. There's just so much more than just the expo hall that you need to see and do to get the full PAX experience.

The Dangers of SWAG: Don't Be That Guy

PAX 2009: I have never nor will I ever wear this shirt.
PAX 2009: I have never nor will I ever wear this shirt.

Free stuff is great. I know. But, just listen to me for a second. Don't spend the majority of your time trying to get inflatable swords, funny hats, and Gunnar Optiks t-shirts. You're going to get free stuff without trying. Not all of it, sure, but plenty. The vast majority of free stuff you get, you will eventually throw away or, if you're like me, going to pile into boxes in a closet. At PAX East 2010, there were people that waited well over an hour to play APB for fifteen minutes and get a t-shirt. How do you think those people feel about that decision now? Just be smart, people.

Pack Light and Carry-On a Big Bag

PAX East 2013's Merch Booth
PAX East 2013's Merch Booth

For those of you flying to Boston, you're likely going to pay at least $25 to check a bag on the plane, so you might as well get your money's worth. Even if you're only packing three Internet meme t-shirts and three sets of socks and underwear, bring a big suitcase. The extra space is going to be great for any swag you obtain as well as any stuff you end up buying inside or outside of PAX. At PAX Prime 2010, my friend @washa_endrya bought a fight stick from Capcom and was able to get it home easily.

Also, if you have one, bring a cardboard tube in your suitcase. You are likely to be handed posters at the show, and there's really no other way to get those home without folding or crushing them. One more tip from the experienced in packing for a con. Throw an empty trash bag in with your stuff. You can use that as a dirty laundry bag, which will allow you to quarantine your sweaty socks from all the cool stuff you accumulated at the show on your way home.

Do You Like Sleep? TOO BAD!

PAX East 2011 After Hours
PAX East 2011 After Hours

Sleep deprivation is a major side effect of the PAX experience. You can sleep on Monday or on your flight home. But, there are official and unofficial PAX events going on virtually 24 hours a day beginning Thursday night. The concerts typically go til at least 1 AM, and you're going to be in downtown Boston. There's plenty of stuff to do, and apparently the city is going to be extending hours on the subway. In the grand scheme of things, your time at PAX is very limited even if you can be there all three days. You may not realize this now or even during the show, but come Monday, you'll know what I'm talking about. So, if you get five hours of sleep, you're doing great. Make the most of the time you have.

BitCoins Don't Work Here Either

PAX East 2013 Expo Hall
PAX East 2013 Expo Hall

If you've got a debit or credit card, you're mostly okay. Any food places in the area, like the food court in the convention center, are going to take your card just fine. Most booths in the expo hall will take it as well when purchasing their wares. But, it may be a good idea to carry at least a little old-fashioned paper money. Cash can be good especially if you're going out to the bars at night. If you know you're going to need cash, there are several ATMs at the convention center, but you should hit them early because I've seen them run out of cash to dispense.

Eat Something!

At PAX East 2013, the guys from Cards Against Humanity pulled a trick out of Andy Kaufman's playbook.
At PAX East 2013, the guys from Cards Against Humanity pulled a trick out of Andy Kaufman's playbook.

This may sound ridiculous at first, but once you're in the thick of PAX, you may forget to eat or drink. And considering that you normally don't walk around for 10-14 hours a day, you're going to need to hydrate. Many people throw a bottle in their bag that they can refill at water fountains. Stopping for 30 minutes to eat may not sound enticing depending on your schedule, but you've gotta do it. Unfortunately, the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center is kind of in the middle of nowhere if you ever could be in a major city. There's not a lot of food options in the vicinity without going back into downtown, which is going to take even more time. So, your best bet is really the food court in the convention center. Yes, it's overpriced. Yes, it's crowded. But, just bite the bullet, get in, and get out. Otherwise, you could toss a few Clif bars in your bag and just eat on the go.

Don't Let PAX Ruin Your PAX

Who invited you?
Who invited you?

This is something I've learned during PAX East 2011. Whether it's aHarmonix meet-up, a pre-PAX board game night, the Pokémon League, or one of the countless other unofficial PAX festivities, make an effort to do stuff after show hours. Honestly, it doesn't even have to be PAX related. Chances are, if you head out to the bars and restaurants in downtown Boston, you're going to run into other PAX goers. We generally take over the city.

What I'm getting at is that being in line at the Queue Room of the convention center at 8 AM (2 hours prior to show open) isn't worth missing out on the great stuff that's going on at night. Now, if there's a game that you HAVE to see and you know the line during the day is super long, go ahead and get to the convention center early one day and run for it when the doors open. But, just make sure you spend some time outside of the convention center and your hotel room.

It's All That You Can Do

Be yourself, but also be open to meeting new people. I know your mom told you not to talk to strangers, but I'm telling you that's a bunch of crap. It's unlikely that you're ever going to be around more people like yourself than you will at PAX. Above everything else, including all the tips I've given you here, have fun. You're about to have an experience that you'll never forget.

No Caption Provided

Hopefully, I'll run into some of y'all there (or at least your Miis). I promise I won't ban you if you say hello.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Always love reading these!!! I vote Produced for the Sunday at 1:30 time slot. Rich and Vinny should be amazing. Can't wait to hear their stories. Thanks again for putting this together each year. Helped so much my first PAX!!! Hope to see you in line sometime!!!

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By InternetDotCom

BitCoins Don't Work Here Either

But South Station does have a Bitcoin ATM now if you want turn your real usable money into bitcoin for some awful reason.

If you end up taking a pedicab make sure to tip those people well since they don't really get paid any other way.

It does seem like if the MBTA can get it together the T will extended to 3 AM on weekends in late March so it SHOULD be going for PAX. SHOULD.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So, you finally managed to get the blog posted correctly, eh?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Marino  Staff

@fattony12000: Actually, no. This is just in the forums. I tried twice and for whatever reason, it would not attach it to the forum. So, I gave up and just posted it here directly. Doesn't really need to be a blog anyway. That's just how I'd always done it.

Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happy to continue to be a model for Brit-groping everywhere.

Be on the lookout for this year's PAX beers - three at the Giant Bomb panel and two at the CAH panel!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino: "lol"

God I wish I could go to PAX.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8 FinalDasa  Moderator

Now it feels official. Really excited to finally get to go to PAX!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9 chaser324  Moderator

Finally doing my first PAX. I can't wait!

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By forteexe21

Royal Rumble better be streamed and i expect Jeff to do his entrance.

Loading Video...

spiketail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All very much worthwhile advice. Found it very nice to have looked over and keep in mind for my first PAX last year. Guidebook was a superb bit of advice! Plan out what panels you wish to see, set alarms, and being able to easily check what's coming up! Probably the QR code hunt too, used Guidebook at Prime.

Thanks, @marino!

thdemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thdemn

Hey @marino, MBTA just announced today that the T will start it's late night hours on the 28th of March. All good to go from the City to get around until 3.

Also, thanks for being awesome! Lived in the city the past few years and have had my PAX Plans nuked last minute the past few years. Guide is super helpful.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By endoworks

Super excited for PAX East, can't wait!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Awesome guide as always. Since it's my 2nd PAX East, I have some knowledge of the event and Boston, but first-timers should read carefully.

One thing I want to add (or dispute) is that if you're not afraid of walking outside, you can get great food outside of the event as long as you feel like you need a break from the crowds for a few hours. From my experience last year, I would rather walk 30 minutes or take the T downtown and find a much heartier meal. Yes it is easier to simply grab an immediately regrettable $9 hot dog from the BCEC and if you only have so much time for PAX, the convention center is your best option. For those with a 3-day pass and a few hours to spend in-between, get out of the area and find some great grub.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thdemn said:

Hey @marino, MBTA just announced today that the T will start it's late night hours on the 28th of March. All good to go from the City to get around until 3.

Also, thanks for being awesome! Lived in the city the past few years and have had my PAX Plans nuked last minute the past few years. Guide is super helpful.

Here is the full story

Great news for people like me that live in Boston, but weren't close enough for late night shenanigans because of the T system.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By hassun

So many Giant Bomb-related panels this year... I hope they get recorded because just like any other year it's way too far away and way too expensive for me to actually go there.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This PAX will be my very first and I love this guide, I've read its multiple versions over the years but this time I'll be actually putting it to use!

My one question though:

Are the panels like SDCC where you can go into an early panel and wait in that room for one you want later? Or do they clear the rooms out after every panel?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Marino  Staff

@jjbsterling: Almost always they clear the room after each one. The only time this is not the case is in the Main Theatre. For example, if you go to the keynote, you can stay for the PA Q&A.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dalai said:

Awesome guide as always. Since it's my 2nd PAX East, I have some knowledge of the event and Boston, but first-timers should read carefully.

One thing I want to add (or dispute) is that if you're not afraid of walking outside, you can get great food outside of the event as long as you feel like you need a break from the crowds for a few hours. From my experience last year, I would rather walk 30 minutes or take the T downtown and find a much heartier meal. Yes it is easier to simply grab an immediately regrettable $9 hot dog from the BCEC and if you only have so much time for PAX, the convention center is your best option. For those with a 3-day pass and a few hours to spend in-between, get out of the area and find some great grub.

Not even 30 minutes, you can walk a block to place like Remy's and get a decent meal.

Or at least a much better hot dog

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By bacongames

@gorillamopena said:

@thdemn said:

Here is the full story

Great news for people like me that live in Boston, but weren't close enough for late night shenanigans because of the T system.

That's great news! Even though I'm less than 2 miles away from the convention center, the peace of mind that one gets not having to worry about a cab or walking back to the hotel potentially by yourself is great. That and it's nice to get off your feet most of the way back.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

The Giantbomb panel is on Saturday?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I have tickets only for Friday and Sunday! They were sold out for Saturday! Damn it!

Lolzhacked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As always a fantastic guide for those new to the PAX East experience. Looking forward to running into some of you duders around the Expo hall and in line for the GB panel!

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'll be there again this year! Hopefully I'll get to see many more GB duders this year and won't get caught up in my "walk around random parts of the convention at high speed observing all the awesomeness" rut.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@pseg said:

I'll be there again this year! Hopefully I'll get to see many more GB duders this year and won't get caught up in my "walk around random parts of the convention at high speed observing all the awesomeness" rut.

Being that far away from your iRacing rig, you're going to have to satisfy your need for speed somehow.

Foil1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that late night T stuff is great! I live an hour and a half away on the T, and if I wanted to not drive I'd have to take a taxi home. Now I can go out after PAX and not have to worry about parking/driving! (though the bus I take home isn't late night, but that's way more manageable)

wolfskind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly I can't afford to spend ~ 600€ for the flights, would love to attend PAX. :(

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Worth mentioning that you might wanna show up an hour and a half to two hours early for the GB panel if you want really good seats. Last year the line was MASSIVE two hours before it even began. The show floor closes at 6 so you can easily grab some dinner and chill for a bit before lining up.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Marino  Staff

@thdemn said:

I missed this post before. Cool. I tried to find online what the start date was but didn't find it. Just in time for PAX.

Being that far away from your iRacing rig, you're going to have to satisfy your need for speed somehow.

If it's like the last few years, they have an iRacing booth there, so...he'll be fine.

Worth mentioning that you might wanna show up an hour and a half to two hours early for the GB panel if you want really good seats. Last year the line was MASSIVE two hours before it even began. The show floor closes at 6 so you can easily grab some dinner and chill for a bit before lining up.

This. If you want a "good" seat for Giant Bomb, you need to plan on getting in line as soon as the line for the panel before Giant Bomb goes in. The Enforcers will generally discourage you from loitering around the door waiting to start a new line, but do what you need to do I guess.

Paul_Tillich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Paul_Tillich

Does anyone know if Harmonix and the guys are doing something instead of Rock Band Night, or is the pre PAX partying dead? The Brattle Theatre is booked with other events the week of PAX, so I fear the latter.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By Jedted

I'm really bummed that the tickets went so quickly because last year was my first Pax East and i really wanted to go again. Anyone here have a spare room and willing to share their pass? I'm willing to pay my share for the room.

Edit: Should i go ahead and trust one of the random sellers on Ebay and get a 1-day pass?

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedted said:

I'm really bummed that the tickets went so quickly because last year was my first Pax East and i really wanted to go again. Anyone here have a spare room and willing to share their pass? I'm willing to pay my share for the room.

Edit: Should i go ahead and trust one of the random sellers on Ebay and get a 1-day pass?

The Penny Arcade forum mods have emphasized for years that you're always inviting a risk, often huge, that said badges are or will be counterfeits when buying from a stranger. Certainly there are many people who find their badges become useless because they can't make it or they have an extra but in general it's always best to err on the side of caution when buying badges from ebay and craigslist sellers. That and if you're buying a badge at markup, you're supporting scalpers which is no fun. I wouldn't blame you if it came to do that but that's potentially another thing to consider.

It's a tough call and this far out you're piling travel on top of and badge insecurity and so really the question is what you're okay with risking if you made it to Boston with no hotel or badge. Ostensibly people have after-hour meet-ups and events and so you can still take advantage of the crowd culture coming to the city but beyond that it's what you can find and what you're willing to risk. Personally I would be asking friends and associates for potential extra-badge situations first. Every year there are people who find out from their boss they can't go and subsequently are left with an extra pass.

Sen0r_Awes0me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sen0r_Awes0me

@gorillamopena said:

@thdemn said:

Here is the full story

That's great news! Even though I'm less than 2 miles away from the convention center, the peace of mind that one gets not having to worry about a cab or walking back to the hotel potentially by yourself is great. That and it's nice to get off your feet most of the way back.

No Caption Provided

Yes yes. Love it. Love everyone! Let's go get into some shenanigans!

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Got my passes today's! Let's do this!

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Really dig this guide. Might also be helpful to add a section specific to Seattle and Boston of places outside of PAX but near the convention that are good places to visit or eat =]

wildmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I just noticed the Divekick tourney is 1 hour BEFORE the Giantbomb one... :( Too badd, I woulda loved to go to the divekick thingy. :P:

Meepasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Meepasaurus

I don't know how I'm going to make up my mind about the Sunday panels. Whoever scheduled them at the same time is a bad person.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Marino  Staff

Really dig this guide. Might also be helpful to add a section specific to Seattle and Boston of places outside of PAX but near the convention that are good places to visit or eat =]

For the Seattle version, I have a pretty sizable section listing places to go/eat around the convention center. While the Washington State Convention Center has become to small/old for PAX, the location is awesome. As you know, you can walk virtually anywhere in downtown Seattle. Unfortunately, as you will come to find out, there's almost nothing near the Boston convention center. It's about a mile walk across the bridge to South Station. Otherwise, there's hotel restaurants, Lucky's, Legal Test Kitchen, and maybe Shenanigan's.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39  Edited By fobwashed

@marino: Wait. Shenanigan's is a real thing? I might need to go there.

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Marino  Staff

@fobwashed: Oh it's real. Pretty sure we went there last year, right @marino ?

Yup. It's a bit of a hike, but you know....TIIIIIIIIIIIYYUUUUUUUUUUPS!

Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

@marino: I'm grillin' up some mo'fuckin' TIIIIIIIYYYYUUUUUUPPPPPPSSSSSS tomorrow, actually.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By matt

Great guide @marino! I always read these to get me in the PAX mood.

preheatedbibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By preheatedbibby

As always, a good guide @marino. This will be my second and I can certainly attest to the overwhelming nature of the conference. I sat at a table for a good 45 minutes one day, just trying to recollect my thoughts.

I'd also suggest something simple but could be missed: don't back your PAX badge in your checked luggage. Had a friend lose luggage for a few hours.

Any word on a Harmonix Rock Band night or an after hours Giant Bomb pub crawl?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Marino  Staff

Any word on a Harmonix Rock Band night or an after hours Giant Bomb pub crawl?

The Brattle is booked for other stuff, so I don't think there's going to be a RBN. The way it ended last year was a rather fitting way to end it.

No news on a meet up at this point either.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 FinalDasa  Moderator

Is there anything a first timer should know or be aware of? Is there something I need to get or be aware of for the show?

Also is there anything outside of the show I need to know? Like is downtown Boston the place to be or does late night activities tend to take place somewhere else?

Mully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where are Giantbomber's meeting up?

preheatedbibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@marino said:

The way it ended last year was a rather fitting way to end it.

Yeah, that's what I heard, unfortunately I missed out. Wishful thinking on my part for them to host another event this year.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Marino  Staff

@mully said:

Where are Giantbomber's meeting up?

I don't think there's any sort of official meet up. At least not right now.

@marino said:

The way it ended last year was a rather fitting way to end it.

Yeah, that's what I heard, unfortunately I missed out. Wishful thinking on my part for them to host another event this year.

If it helps at all, I did shoot video of the ending. They streamed it, but did not archive it (due to the copyrights and whatnot).

Loading Video...