• 51 results
#1 Posted by spyder335 (283 posts) -

i bought the career criminal pack, did anyone else?

#2 Edited by tkalsey (152 posts) -

I'm still debating to get the career criminal pack, but I will definitely be buying it when it comes out . The only thing that I would want from the career criminal is the early access and I'm not sure if that's worth an extra 20 bucks. Looks like a cool game though!

#3 Posted by falserelic (5270 posts) -

Anyone that played the beta, give me a first impressions. I want to hear some feedback.

#4 Edited by dandead (170 posts) -

I have spent the whole of last night playing this game in beta and here are my thoughts.

First of all, WOW! I am really enjoying this game even in it's current limited form. The gunplay feels a lot tighter than the previous game and the heists are much more creative and have more random elements to them. The difficulty system is also very neat where players are rewarded for taking on higher ranked missions which is above their current level with a ton more cash and exp. The higher risk missions also involve more enemy types which would not normally appear on lower difficulty levels.

It's also possible to play the game stealthily, well more stealthily than in the first game anyway, (which was pretty good in that respect) it was exhilarating robbing a stores safe right underneath the store clerk's nose because we bopped a couple of guards and with careful planning got to the safe without anyone noticing. Of course you don't start with silenced weapons so being sneaky is much harder during the beginning stages of the game.

Progression wise the player earns cash which they can spend on pimping out their masks and hideout as well as spending money on their new skill trees. This is different from PayDay 1 because in this game you are pretty much made to choose a play style of which there are four to choose from. I picked "mastermind" because they start with the healing bag and a early skill they can learn is the ability to carry TEN CABLE TIES! This is amazing because civies are always getting in the way and the average criminal in this game can only carry two ties, ten allows you to hold an entire jewelry store hostage for example. Also you can trade in tied up hostages for arrested crew members if things go pear shaped. You do have to balance buying new perks with weapons though, as both are expensive and you won't typically be able to afford them both at the same time when they become unlocked. Also you unlock new weapon attachments and mask upgrades via a random drop after every mission. So far I have managed to unlock a new mask type and a couple of attachments for gun I don't currently own.

Overall I would say this is defo a step in the right direction and I am really, REALLY enjoying the game right now. The only things that have annoyed me is that Hoxton has switched nationality from English to American and that the partner A.I. is pretty dumb still, they can even carry loot bags for you which is annoying.

#5 Posted by falserelic (5270 posts) -

@dandead said:

I have spent the whole of last night playing this game in beta and here are my thoughts.

First of all, WOW! I am really enjoying this game even in it's current limited form. The gunplay feels a lot tighter than the previous game and the heists are much more creative and have more random elements to them. The difficulty system is also very neat where players are rewarded for taking on higher ranked missions which is above their current level with a ton more cash and exp. The higher risk missions also involve more enemy types which would not normally appear on lower difficulty levels.

It's also possible to play the game stealthily, well more stealthily than in the first game anyway, (which was pretty good in that respect) it was exhilarating robbing a stores safe right underneath the store clerk's nose because we bopped a couple of guards and with careful planning got to the safe without anyone noticing. Of course you don't start with silenced weapons so being sneaky is much harder during the beginning stages of the game.

Progression wise the player earns cash which they can spend on pimping out their masks and hideout as well as spending money on their new skill trees. This is different from PayDay 1 because in this game you are pretty much made to choose a play style of which there are four to choose from. I picked "mastermind" because they start with the healing bag and a early skill they can learn is the ability to carry TEN CABLE TIES! This is amazing because civies are always getting in the way and the average criminal in this game can only carry two ties, ten allows you to hold an entire jewelry store hostage for example. Also you can trade in tied up hostages for arrested crew members if things go pear shaped. You do have to balance buying new perks with weapons though, as both are expensive and you won't typically be able to afford them both at the same time when they become unlocked.

Overall I would say this is defo a step in the right direction and I am really, REALLY enjoying the game right now. The only things that have annoyed me is that Hoxton has switched nationality from English to American and that the partner A.I. is pretty dumb still, they can even carry loot bags for you which is annoying.

Thanks for the first impression, now I'm more excited for this game. As for Hoxton's voice from what I've heard, the old crew (Outside of wolf) was killed or went to jail, and in payday 2 this is a new crew with the same code names as the old crew.

#6 Posted by MikeJFlick (435 posts) -

I played the first one, but sadly as cash is a bit tight at the moment I haven't bought it myself, but after watching various live streams of it the beta before the open release to preorders has looked quite positive.

#7 Posted by djou (850 posts) -

I foolishly bought my copy discounted. If I knew they were going to offer beta access through Steam I would have gotten my copy through the client. If anyone is interested I got my copy through Gamefly using the code GFDJUL20, brought it down to $24.

Appreciate these impressions. Does anyone know if Overkill plans to carry over character progression from the Beta into the final game?

#8 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

Anyone want a Beta Key?

#9 Posted by Cronus42 (274 posts) -

@david3cm: If you have one to give away I wouldn't mind it. Was hoping to get a look at this thing after seeing the gameplay vid from the devs.

#10 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1327 posts) -

Looks cool, would love to try it if anyone else has a spare key.

#11 Posted by spyder335 (283 posts) -

its awesome there are a few bugs but overall ive played like 15 hrs today..... my eyes hurt

the 1 day heist are quick and fun, the longer 2 and 3 day ones are far more rewarding though.

and it can go all the way to 7 day heists cant wait for full release

#12 Posted by pause422 (6169 posts) -

if anyone else has a spare key I would certainly love to try it. If I have no luck I may get the CCE soon but I really want to see how much of an upgrade this is to the first game.

#13 Edited by falserelic (5270 posts) -

yeah, if anyone has a spare key, I will like to try it too.

#14 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

How much is the game for 360? I am Linda tempted to get it when it comes out. I was looking at the wiki page and it looks real cool.

#15 Edited by LimpBishop (220 posts) -

I never tried PayDay The Heist - but the buzz around PayDay 2 is really intriguing - but still not sure if I am up for splashing out the 30€ for it - so if anyone has a spare Beta key - I'd loooove to get it ( and loooove you).

Steam name: Ondmand

Will chuck in what ever extra trading cards I have to who ever has a spare key :)

#16 Edited by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

Played the original and while it was fun, it was only truly great played with friends. If your playing solo the game is a complete bitch, so if your not the kind of guy who likes playing co op games this game isn't really for you. Though from what I can tell from my limited time with the beta the game plays much better than the original and it seems like the heists have vastly improved as well. The game seems to have much more depth to it than the previous games.

#17 Posted by MiniPato (2714 posts) -

I wasn't sure I was liking it compared to Payday 1. Enemies seemed way more bullet spongey than usual, ally AI is worse, it's hard to see while aiming, everything seems ridiculously expensive, UI is confusing and it seemed impossible to win.

But all those problems were due to various reasons. My friend I gave the beta key to didn't like playing with strangers and wanted to play on very hard and/or overkill right off the bat cause he didn't want to grind for money and exp. This lead to us playing with two poor AI and spending a lot of time dying for not very much. I started playing on normal/hard with 3 human beings. I started earning good money and exp. And for the love of all that is good in the world, TURN OFF DEPTH OF FIELD. It's basically glaucoma mode. When you aim down sights, everything becomes blurry and you can't aim for shit. When I turned it off, it was like old school Payday again where I can now get decent headshots off. Also found that enemies aren't really bullet sponges as much as the starting guns you get are painfully weak. But maybe they're sufficient for normal, I wouldn't know. UI is still kinda confusing and I'm still puzzled as to why they don't let you choose what heist you want to play at what difficulty.

Other than that I've been having a blast. It feels like Payday alright. Shootouts are intense as they were in the first game. Guns are louder and feel better. The skills you unlock are actually really interesting and unique. There's more weapon variety and customization. The only weird thing is it costs money to reattach a mod after taking it off your gun.

There are much more random variables in the heists and certain heists have multiple stages to them. One heist had us cook meth with Bain telling us which ingredient to add and there are different chemicals to collect around the lab hideout. I put in the wrong ingredient and blew up the lab, escaping with only 1 bag of meth instead of 3. This led to stage two of the heist where we had to escape the cops after our van crashed in a parking lot. Then we had to meet up with some gang to trade meth for intel on somebody. Cops crashed the meet and we had to search all the apartments for the intel. Then we booked it to the van. Then there was another escape sequence. And then it ended with us robbing some bus smuggling money on a bridge and rigged with c4. The cool thing is, I did this heist again with other people. We cooked the meth perfectly, didn't have to outrun the cops, had the meeting without cops crashing our party, and managed to get to the last stage without another escape sequence inbetween.

I only managed to do one heist in complete stealth mode. That was the jewelry store heist on very hard. I watched the front while 3 guys with silenced weapons went in the back, killed/knocked out the guards, broke into the windows and set up the drill on the safe in the backroom of the store. Everytime a guard got killed/knocked out, someone had to answer the guards walkie talkie or else they'd get suspicious. One guy came out to the back main showroom that I was guarding the front of and we both put on our masks and started shouting everyone to get on the ground. Three of us were keeping the civvies in check while one guy packed 8 duffel bags full of jewelry. I had to get out onto the street and keep bystanders on the ground. One guy was standing on the showcase in the store keeping an eye on customers. Another guy would toss a duffel bag out the front door onto the street where I would grab it and toss into the back of the van. We got out without any cops showing up. Even though the jewelry store is only 1 star difficulty heist (3 stars on very hard) it still felt badass doing it all professional like instead of having a big shootout with cops. Hell, just standing there with an assault rifle in hand, a duffelbag of money slung over my shoulders and telling civilians to stay down made me feel like I was living those cool heist movies.

I'm pretty sure the bank heist is stealthable too, but it requires a lot more coordination than the jewelry store one cause there are more cameras, more rooms, and more civilians to keep in check.

The skills you can purchase as you level up are all really cool and interesting. They're not just "hold more ammo and reload faster." The class I'm leveling is the mastermind class and I finally got the ability to intimidate cops and soldiers so they handcuff themselves. It's much easier than in Payday 1. I'm guessing because now it's limited to one class instead of being something that anyone can do. Intimidation is basically a whole other weapon. I've found that even when I'm out of ammo, I can still render enemies harmless by shouting them down till they cuff themselves. The distance on the intimidation shout is ridiculous too. I was on the roof of a bank keeping the cops suppressed so they wouldn't enter the front entrance of the bank and manged to intimidate a SWAT guy on the street standing among other enemies and he cuffed himself. It's pretty hilarious and gamey, but boy is it fun. Plus I can persuade them to fight for me once I've intimidated them.

At first I was feeling buyer's remorse, but now I'm really glad I pre-ordered it.

Just remember, TURN OFF DEPTH OF FIELD.

#18 Edited by chick3n (4 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

How much is the game for 360? I am Linda tempted to get it when it comes out. I was looking at the wiki page and it looks real cool.

$30 on PC. $40 on consoles (PS3/360).

#19 Posted by dandead (170 posts) -

@MiniPato How much have you played if you don't mind me asking? The enemies become less bullet spongey once you unlock the better rifles. In fact if anyone is interested in this game pro-tip, ALWAYS BUY NEW WEAPONS BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE IF YOU ARE STUCK WITH THE BASIC STARTING WEAPONS!. I simply can not stress this enough because the starting weapons are awful, even with mods. I am currently using the AUR which is a good rifle but has high recoil, just purchased a grip which reduces that so I am headshoting enemies with ease now, even the Tan FBI.

Also the mods are correctly priced in my opinion. They force the player to choose what they really want next. Money is not a huge concern if you are playing with friends (especially if you are playing with friends in face because it multiplies the worth of the loot but makes the enemies tougher also!) on missions with one yellow star or more on them because the cash bonus for beating those missions with all four people alive is substantial not to mention you get MUCH more money for getting more loot bags than your supposed to.

#20 Edited by MiniPato (2714 posts) -

@dandead said:

@MiniPato How much have you played if you don't mind me asking? The enemies become less bullet spongey once you unlock the better rifles. In fact if anyone is interested in this game pro-tip, ALWAYS BUY NEW WEAPONS BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE IF YOU ARE STUCK WITH THE BASIC STARTING WEAPONS!. I simply can not stress this enough because the starting weapons are awful, even with mods. I am currently using the AUR which is a good rifle but has high recoil, just purchased a grip which reduces that so I am headshoting enemies with ease now, even the Tan FBI.

Also the mods are correctly priced in my opinion. They force the player to choose what they really want next. Money is not a huge concern if you are playing with friends (especially if you are playing with friends in face because it multiplies the worth of the loot but makes the enemies tougher also!) on missions with one yellow star or more on them because the cash bonus for beating those missions with all four people alive is substantial not to mention you get MUCH more money for getting more loot bags than your supposed to.

How much of my post did you read if you don't mind me asking? Not trying to be hostile, just thought I was being clever because it is like the first sentence of your post and I re-purposed it for my own use. I will now pat myself on the back.

I basically said all the things you said and came out with a very positive experience. I mean, I know it's a wall of text, but give me some credit here!

#21 Posted by MethodMan008 (805 posts) -

Loving the game! Got the career criminal edition for 30 bucks from a friend and have been playing the beta non-stop.

Some site described Payday 2 as Hitman x Borderlands.. Well that is not a perfect descriptor, it is pretty damn good.

Can't wait to get off work in three hours and play some more Payday 2. :D

#22 Posted by Pimpsandwich (72 posts) -

I've got a beta for Payday 2 laying around now, if someone wants in. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197964694731/

#23 Posted by Subjugation (4715 posts) -

Is buying in the only way to get in to the beta? I'm interested in trying the game, but I don't know if I want to straight up buy it.

#24 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

I'm in the beta and it wont actually let me into a game, it either simply randomly crashes to desktop or D/C's me from every match I join or simply wont even let me join...

#25 Edited by Yummylee (21204 posts) -
#26 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@pimpsandwich: If you havn't gave it away yet, I would like to see what the game is all about.

#27 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

Yeah this 'beta' is totally broken for me, the game randomly crashes without warning or reason, I get dropped from every match I play and when I can connect I get spawned inside objects, glitch out die and then get d/c'd...

#28 Posted by MiniPato (2714 posts) -

Question about the tier bonuses. Do you have to ace all the skills on that tier to get the bonus? Or Simply spend a point in each skill on that tier? Or simply spend enough points in any skill in the skill tree to get that tier bonus?

#29 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1526 posts) -

@minipato said:

Question about the tier bonuses. Do you have to ace all the skills on that tier to get the bonus? Or Simply spend a point in each skill on that tier? Or simply spend enough points in any skill in the skill tree to get that tier bonus?

My impression is that you have to master all 3 in each tier, but thats not explained very well.

#30 Posted by MiniPato (2714 posts) -

@minipato said:

My impression is that you have to master all 3 in each tier, but thats not explained very well.

It seems like the general concensus is you just have to spend the required amount of points in the tree to unlock the tier bonus. The meter on the right of the skill tree with the numbers 5, 10, 20, etc show how many skill points you need to spend to obtain the tier bonus. Which is nice actually since it work a little more like Payday 1. Leveling up a class doesn't just give you new abilities, but ups your stats too.

#31 Posted by Genfuyung (225 posts) -

The people from hey ash whatcha playing have livestreamed quite a few games for those that want to see it in action. twitch.tv/heyashtwitch

#32 Posted by Azraeill (32 posts) -

Im down to play if others are playing as I basically have no idea what im doing in the game yet.

SN: Azraeill.

#33 Posted by MethodMan008 (805 posts) -

Been at level 30 for a few days now. Still so fun!

Need dat full game.

#34 Posted by TakenByTrees (18 posts) -

I have a beta key up for grabs if anyone wants it.

#35 Posted by CheapPoison (716 posts) -

I wouldn't mind taking a look. I enjoyed Payday but i also had quite a few problems with it so i am curious.

#36 Edited by TakenByTrees (18 posts) -

@cheappoison: What's your steam name and I will pass it on. So far I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Edit: Beta Key now gone. Thanks

#37 Posted by EnemaEms (155 posts) -

Downloading the Beta now. My Steam name is EnemaEms.

#38 Edited by _k1_ (197 posts) -

I've been playing it a little bit. I also have a spare beta key.

#39 Posted by TheHT (10796 posts) -

@_k1_: Could I have it? Steam ID: TheHT

#40 Posted by Nishy (1 posts) -

I'd love to have a beta key if anybody has an extra :) My Steam ID is iDewder

#41 Posted by _Phara0h_ (889 posts) -

I'm installing right now, I have an extra code will give it to a GB member.. PM me and I'm not giving it to a free member this is to exclude ppl who just sign up for the key...

#42 Posted by BisonHero (6047 posts) -

@_phara0h_: In all fairness, you can see a user's total forum post count right by their name, so why not just set some minimum post count (20, 50, maybe 100), and anyone above that limit is eligible? Requiring them to be a premium member is a little extreme.

#43 Posted by _Phara0h_ (889 posts) -
#44 Posted by Loafsmooch (278 posts) -

Would love a beta key..

#45 Posted by _Phara0h_ (889 posts) -
#46 Posted by _Phara0h_ (889 posts) -

I've made a gaming night suggestion in the group: The link

#47 Posted by Kronk (18 posts) -

Steam Nickname: Kronk

Anyone add me if they want to play (Beta or Retail).

#48 Posted by Tearhead (2145 posts) -

I would love a beta key :(

#49 Edited by Variable_ (35 posts) -

@tearhead: What's your steam name I have one.

#50 Posted by Tearhead (2145 posts) -

@tearhead: What's your steam name I have one.

Steam name is Tearhead. I wish I saw this sooner so I could have played during the weekend, seems notifications aren't working so well. Hopefully you get this so I could play a little tomorrow night.

And, thanks!