AMD R9 300 series....worth it?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know they just came out but from everything i've read they don't really seem like much of an upgrade. I have an HD 7950 now and it has worked great for me for a long time, but the witcher 3 really got me to realize it's close to upgrade time. I was thinking about getting this sapphire nitro 390 8gb but i'm just not sure if it's really worth it or better to just get the 290 or even switch to the dark side of nvidia? lol

I currently have a mid size chassis and a 620w psu (that has worked great since 2011) so i'll most likely need to upgrade both of those as well which will put me way over the 500$ mark total. I know another high range card (the fury?) is coming too but that's out of my price bracket with the other things i have to upgrade.

Anyway, thoughts?

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 390X requires a 750w PSU, so I guess that helps the decision process. : )
Pretty sure Nvidia has lower power requirements so you might want to look into those.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What res are you gonna be playing games at?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm at 1080p for now, maybe possibility to upgrade in the future though.

@franstone Yeah, if i could upgrade without needing a new psu that would be a plus, but it's probably time to upgrade anyway

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@oursin_360: Save some money and go with the Nvidia GTX 970. Nvidia is commonly better supported in more games and you wont need to shell out for a new PSU. Also they are both totally comparable when it comes to performance.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, nVidia is much better with power usage. You can run a 980 in a 500w system.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

There aren't many reviews out from the well regarded tech sites on these cards, right? Shouldn't we wait to come to a consensus on them?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ripelivejam

Unfortunate this won't turn the AMD hate train around. Admittedly it does sound a bit underwhelming from what i've heard so far. Can't really justify upgrading from my r9 290 so soon anyway; just sucks that there also doesn't seem to be much point in getting a 2nd card for crossfire. Oh well.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By GaspoweR

I'm really interested in the R9 Fury X and what Nvidia's response is going to be in the coming year.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

There aren't many reviews out from the well regarded tech sites on these cards, right? Shouldn't we wait to come to a consensus on them?

Yeah, but i'm an impulsive buyer lol. I just got batman for 36$ and although i get 35-60 fps in witcher 3 i feel like I need to upgrade. Also considering nvidia since gameworks seems to be taking off in pc gaming, and they are making it strictly for nvidia gpu's.

gtx 970 seems underwhelming in the witcher 3 from the benchmarks @1080p, also 390's are supposed to get a boost in performance with dx12 (not sure how true that is, plus i'm still on win7 lol). The low power consumption seems good though.