Building a PC, thoughts?

killerklown907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

So, after much inner debate (and a lovely gift of $1800 from the state of Alaska) I decided I'm gonna build a new PC. Don't really need to, can run most games on high-ish with 45+ frames, but hot damn are those new cards tempting.

I've parted out two separate builds, one is with haswell-e, the other is devil's canyon.

This is the one with Haswell-e its definitely more expensive, and racking up at a little over $2,500 it would be something I wouldn't be buying in the near future (near being about a month). I've been talking myself out of it though, seeing as it'll be mostly a gaming machine the 6 cores would be lost on most games and so would the stupidly expensive ddr4.

As for devil's canyon this is what I've come up with, it is much more reasonable, at right around $1500 I would more than likely be able to get this in time for the Warlords of Draenor launch, and the h110 would let me oc the i5 to some very nice clock speeds. I doesn't have an SSD because I plan to get one around Christmas time (if not sooner).

Well, that's what I've come up with, if anyone has better ideas for parts I'd love to hear it, and I'm more or less settling in on the cheaper build (instant gratification and what-not) but I could probably be convinced to wait. Also I'm running on a laptop right now so not getting a case is not an option.

TriBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TriBeard

If gaming is the primary use of the machine, the second one would be a better choice. I would recommend a few changes though. That power supply isn't particularly great. I would get an EVGA or Corsair unit instead. I would also try and bump the processor up to the i7 4790k if possible. It doesn't make a huge difference now, but it will help if you use the PC for non-gaming tasks, and more and more games are starting to use more than 4 threads (Shadow of Mordor, BF4, etc) and it will never hurt you down the road. The last change I would recommend is the H220x from swiftech instead of the h100i. It's going to give you better cooling performance, and if you want to add a block on to your GPU later, you can add it in to the loop (with an extra radiator to handle the extra heat).

killerklown907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the reply, definitely swapping out the PSU for a better brand, and probably bumping up to the 4970k, but if I do to keep it at around 1500 I might just go with a cooler master hyper 212 and a less intensive overclock until I can go with a full water cooling loop. Alphacool makes a kit I was looking at for around 300$ which would be something I'd upgrade too probably around the same time as getting an SSD.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What's your current setup and what resolution is your monitor. I kind if feel it's a bad time to build a PC if you don't need to because we're on the verge of some substantial upgrades.

You say you're already running most things on high at 45 fps. Chances are you could just get a 970 and run pretty much everything maxed for the next year or two then build a new PC when the exciting new GPUs are released.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hunkulese: He's on a laptop, he can't just buy a new graphics card.

killerklown907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: Running off a Sager with an i7-3740QM and a HD 7970M at the moment, hdmi into a 32" 1920x1080 tv. I plan to get a 2560x1440 monitor sometime after building a new pc.