Can my PC run Bioshock 2 and Infinite?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm just curious if they could run well. I don't really know what to tell you in terms of specs my computer has, so I'll start with the processor, and graphics card, then go from there; if you need more, please tell me so I can give more information. This was a free computer my boss' boss gave me to, and while I don't think it's a gaming PC by any stretch, so far, it has run games better than I expected (and honestly makes me wonder why she gave it to me, as it's a pretty decent device, though she said it runs slow for what she wants to do. I think she may not know what she's talking about). So, it says GeForce GT 540M for graphics card, and for the processor, it's an Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz. It's one of those computers that's an all in one kind of thing, so a 1920 x 1080 26in screen, with 3D Blu ray and I'm also able to plug the PS4 or Xbox One or what have you into the back to pay games as well, though I don't, I've only tried it to see if it works. Alright, I'm going to try the original Bioshock, as I'm sure that runs well, but I still want to know if the others would. Ask me for more information that would be needed if this isn't enough please. Thanks.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I would be surprised if it couldn't run 2, Infinite maybe on the lowest of settings so if frame rate and graphics aren't necessary for you, you should be ok.

I also use: http://en.checkreq.com/

I prefer it to systemrequirementslab.com but either should help give you an idea of how well your computer will run the games.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Bioshock 1 and 2 are shitty PC ports to begin with but they should run okay, although no guarantees regarding the stability at the resolution you're running. If you drop it to around 1366 x 768 you should have no problems. Infinite isn't the most taxing of games and should scale down well if not better than the first two games.

Some general advice to get games to run okay: Turn shadows down to medium/low and turn off Ambient Occlusion and other DX11 specific features like tesselation. Use FXAA (fast approximate anti-aliasing), it looks blurry but removes most of the jaggies at a fraction of the performance cost.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

@impartialgecko: Bioshock 1 runs well. On highest setting it's around 60, sometimes a little slower, sometimes higher depending on what's going in. I think the PC version is the best version actually, except for the fact I don't use a home theater system for my PC, so not the best sound.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@nightriff: @dudeglove: Thanks for the site.

Edit - Alright, hey. I just wanted to say thanks again, this is something I've really been wanting! I am surprised it exists. Thanks a lot. Since I can't post anymore I'll just add here that while this is great, I'm not sure how confident in it I am. I mean, it says I can run Crysis at both recommended and minimum, but that game runs terribly for me. I don't doubt Bioshock 2 will run as it says, which is both recommended and minimal, and Infinite is as I expected, with only minimal (which isn't good enough to me).

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

@ntm: Should clarify. Often PC versions are the best versions of a given while also being shit PC ports. Bioshock 1 doesn't have adjustable field-of-view, which essentially means you can't see as much as you feel you should be able to when you're up close to the monitor. A lot of people get motion-sick due to low FOV settings in first-person games. Last time I tried to get it to run I recall the resolution refusing to stick in the options menu and it kept crashing to desktop after the opening.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rowr
@nightriff said:

I would be surprised if it couldn't run 2, Infinite maybe on the lowest of settings so if frame rate and graphics aren't necessary for you, you should be ok.

I also use: http://en.checkreq.com/

I prefer it to systemrequirementslab.com but either should help give you an idea of how well your computer will run the games.

They may have sorted it out by now but I used to have some issues with this site accurately judging laptop versions of graphics cards. So just be aware.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

@impartialgecko: Ah, alright, never mind then about the better aspect. As for FOV, yeah, that's partially true if you want full control, but it does have an FOV change for sure, but it's only two choices. I just played Bioshock 2, and it runs slightly worse than the first, but it still runs great and I'm happy I'm finally playing the ideal version. It not being a great port however doesn't bother me that much as I'm enjoying it as it is. As for the first, yeah, it depends on the computer I suppose though, because I have run into menu glitches before on it, but with this PC, and the last one I played it on, it wasn't bad.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr: He mentioned two sites, which one are you referring to?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: sysreqlab. I think it treats graphics cards with the m as the desktop version, or at least I had that problem in the past. That could be why it's giving you iffy advice regarding crysis etc.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

I dunno if they'll run on your rig but I found both of them similar in demand which seems a little odd but hey, who knows. My laptop doesnt run as well as it should so maybe theres just some funk involved there.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped reading at i7, you should be golden. That thing should be able to run most current gen stuff that comes out. The graphics card is a tad bit dated but it can run directx 11 if you update it, should be able to run most things smoothly at medium settings. Bioshock Infinite isnt a super graphically intensive game, it just has really solid art direction.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr: Perhaps, though I thought I heard the first Crysis wasn't well optimized. I'm not sure. Crysis 2 runs better than the first for me. Where everything on its highest, (though lowest resolution) goes 60fps and above.

@sarcasticmudcrab: Hm, interesting. Thanks.

@bargainben: That's nice to hear. It may seem shallow, but I kind of don't want to play games at mid settings unless it's a game I've never played, and really, really want to play... I've already played Infinite on both PS3 and the Xbox 360, but the PC, if with powerful enough specs, can make that experience better, so if I were only able to go medium settings, that isn't good enough to make me want to buy it. I'm tempted to buy it just to see, but I don't know...

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: It's not actually a case of optimisation so much as this game was release with a ton of graphical options available for "the future". I guess you could say it's an optimisation issue in a sense, but it's actually the fact they threw all that stuff in for when PC's could actually take advantage of it through brute force. Naturally later on people found more efficient ways of running the same graphical options.

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

you'll run them both fine, I played infinite with a amd processor from 2008 and a gtx460. Infact I can still play most games, watch dogs, black flag, alien isolation and pretty much everything thats come along so far

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, a bit off topic, but still on topic when it comes to my computers capabilities. It says I have NVIDIA High Definition Audio, as well as this thing called Dolby Home Theater. I know what that stuff means, but I don't really know what setting I should use in games. As I play Bioshock 2, it doesn't set any options to my optimal settings, so I have to do it on my own. I suppose I can test it, but I want to know what's optimal.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers