#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (3791 posts) -
#2 Edited by TyCobb (1975 posts) -

Sweet. That basically just set my next computer build to be a year or so from now once it has its initial price drop.

#3 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

Noo! I just built a new PC. It'll be like how I was with DDR2 all over again.

#4 Edited by mrcraggle (1980 posts) -

Is this actually coming next week? I thought ddr4 was awhile off due to motherboard stuff. If this is the case though that's awesome as I'm looking to build a new comp early next year and that would mean I skipped an entire generation of ram (built my last comp just before ddr3 was introduced).

#5 Posted by Korwin (3044 posts) -

Chipset's won't support it until next year, and that will most likely only be Haswell-E at that point. Don't expect to see it in the mainstream desktop platforms until Skylake (Skylake being Broadwell's successor).

#6 Edited by Devildoll (912 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 said:

It does suck though. There's no way XONE could have get released like late-December, or something. Maybe console parity with PS4 would have been different. Although, XONE would have had to get a whole new motherboard, and all that stuff. Anyway, interesting stuff I suppose. Thoughts?

Its not like this DDR4 announcement just popped up today and blindsided both sony and microsoft.

They could have implemented DDR4 into their systems years ago, knowing that it would be ready for 2014-ish.
The reason they didn't, is cost.

The thing is, DDR4 is just getting "released" now in December, its not "mainstream-put-it-in-a-console" cheap.
it could take until 2015 or longer until DDR4 goes down in price enough for most people to consider putting it in their pc's even.

Personally, i dunno, what do i need more bandwidth for? nothing i do benefits from it anyway.
It'll be cool when it gets cheaper than DDR3 though.

#7 Posted by TheHT (11831 posts) -

Lookin forward to getting a new PC. I think I'll put it together this time if it's really as easy as Brad says it is (practically just slotting components in like lego).

I was nervous and lazy 6 or so years ago about putting one together and just bought an HP desktop, but it hasn't been particularly fun to upgrade.

#8 Edited by BaconGames (3577 posts) -

Does anyone know the turn around time between introduction and consumer motherboard adoption was for DDR3? I can't imagine it will be any later than caledar 2014 before we start seeing motherboards with this socket support.

#9 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

@bacongames: Maybe half a year? Possibly less? I remember that happening with DDR2, but when I made my last system, it was right around the time that the i3/5/7s were pushing the Core Duos out of the market. I don't see Intel releasing a new chip so close to Haswell, or at least one that'll require a new socket. But I wouldn't give broad DDR4 adoption more than a year.

#10 Posted by Korwin (3044 posts) -

@ubersmake: @bacongames: DDR4 support will be included with Skylake's chipset in 2015. You may see early support on Haswell Extreme in late 2014.

#11 Posted by Hunter5024 (5981 posts) -

The one lame thing I've noticed about building my PC: there's always a better part then the one I have right on the horizon. I bought RAM literally today.

#12 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

@ubersmake said:

One of many reasons I've been waiting to build a new machine.

#13 Edited by Sammo21 (3572 posts) -

People need to understand that once you build a PC after 6 months its technically outdated thanks to how fast consumer PC equipment comes out. Being worth it in price to get them as soon as they come out? Probably not...

#14 Edited by Hamst3r (4569 posts) -

64 GB of RAM. Give it to meeeeeeeeeeeeee.

#15 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

probably have to upgrade to a motherboard that supports it, so not concerned with upgrading immediately..

#16 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

They are going to fuck you on price for the first year anyway.

#17 Posted by Korwin (3044 posts) -

They are going to fuck you on price for the first year anyway.

To be fair that stuff is going to be expensive as fuck to produce.

#18 Posted by VACkillers (1075 posts) -

well this comes as a surprise I wasn't expecting to see DDR4 till about a year from now really, I thought they might just have skipped DDR4 and switched straight to GDDR5 instead actually.... Well if this is correct theres absolutely no way people should be upgrading their machines at all until the new motherboards come out.... Normally you'd expect the new types of RAM when Intel produce new types of CPUs, usually how it goes but their i7 8-core (16 threads) aren't going to be released until the middle of next year.... very interesting

#19 Posted by Milkman (17342 posts) -

I thought this thread was going to about some sort of special Random Access Memories edition of Dance Dance Revolution.

#20 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -

I assume I'd need a new processor and motherboard to take advantage of it, so I'm not really too concerned at all. Maybe in a year or two if I decide to build an entire new PC instead of just upgrading my GPU (though I probably won't need to, tbh).

#21 Posted by VACkillers (1075 posts) -

You'll only need a new motherboard, unless you only have an sub-par CPU then it would be worth upgrading that too

#22 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

This all sounds pretty great. My computer isn't really limited by my RAM atm though so I'm not super concerned about upgrading any time soon. If anything my memory card and power supply are in need of an upgrade well before this.

#23 Posted by Vuud (2035 posts) -

Great, now I have to put off building my PC even longer now! I hope the leap from DDR3 to DDR4 is significant. I don't think the DDR2 - DDR3 jump was all that great.

#24 Posted by VACkillers (1075 posts) -

This is a very significant jump, DDR4 is double the speed, tripple the density (more GB per stick) and 20% less power usage (dream for overclockers)

#25 Posted by flasaltine (1712 posts) -

GG no re Next Gen Consoles

#26 Posted by VACkillers (1075 posts) -

but the PS4 is using GDDR5 memory, even tho its shared memory, you could look at this is a direct competitor to that system if you wanted to, but in all honesty, if you had a SSD in your machine anyway, you're already accessing faster then the PS4 or XBOX 1 anyway, regardless if you load up a SSD inside the new consoles, the OS's inside the consoles are no where near optimized to make use of a SSD speed, looking at gamespots PS4 launch proved that, it was barely faster then their regular 5200 RPM drive, may install faster, but that be about it...

#27 Edited by Xeiphyer (5612 posts) -

Having this included in the new consoles would have been prohibitively expensive though.

Still, them specs looks nice, looking forward to getting me some of this in some years.

#28 Posted by PimblyCharles (1645 posts) -

That's how it goes with building a gaming PC. I wouldn't worry about it, as DDR3 is fast enough. It's the video card that's the most important anyway.

#29 Posted by Kaiserreich (744 posts) -

Can't wait to build a new PC next year.

#30 Posted by McShank (1630 posts) -

have 12g ddr3 ram, wont need ddr4 for at least 2 years and even then, will it be worth it to spend money on it even when it hits a price drop?

#31 Edited by Korwin (3044 posts) -

@vackillers said:

You'll only need a new motherboard, unless you only have an sub-par CPU then it would be worth upgrading that too

False. AMD were the first to fully integrate the memory controller into the CPU with the Athlon 64, Intel followed suit with the first generation i7 CPU's on socket 1366. Any CPU moving forward from those parts will only support the memory that the on die controller was designed to work with.

#32 Posted by RonGalaxy (3271 posts) -

PSQUAD got 5 ddr's. PC master race loses this round

#33 Posted by Korwin (3044 posts) -

All of the 5's.

#34 Posted by jakob187 (21763 posts) -

I won't need this stuff until about midway into 2015 anyways, so I'm fine on the wait for the price drop. However, NEW HARDWARE SPECS YO! This shit gets me hard.

#35 Edited by Troispoint (267 posts) -

@naru_joe93 said:

5 ddr 5 ddr 5 ddr 5 ddr 5 ddr

#36 Posted by Andorski (5369 posts) -

@naru_joe93 said:

5 ddr 5 ddr 5 ddr 5 ddr 5 ddr

#37 Posted by Dixego (389 posts) -

The one lame thing I've noticed about building my PC: there's always a better part then the one I have right on the horizon. I bought RAM literally today.

I built a new mid tier gaming PC literally today.

#38 Posted by VACkillers (1075 posts) -

@korwin said:

@vackillers said:

False. AMD were the first to fully integrate the memory controller into the CPU with the Athlon 64, Intel followed suit with the first generation i7 CPU's on socket 1366. Any CPU moving forward from those parts will only support the memory that the on die controller was designed to work with.

That only applies if the CPU sockets are different, like AM3+ or Intel socket 1155. If there isn't any new CPUs out by the time DDR4 and the new motherboards are made, they'll still be using the same CPU sockets, so ppl will be able to re-use their current CPUs, no one knows for sure yet too early to tell what the new motherboards are going to be like, thus why its strange DDR4 being released now, as apposed to next year when the new CPUs are released.

#39 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

And it has all the Gs too. One of them, but that's all of them.

#40 Posted by Korwin (3044 posts) -

@korwin said:

@vackillers said:

That only applies if the CPU sockets are different, like AM3+ or Intel socket 1155. If there isn't any new CPUs out by the time DDR4 and the new motherboards are made, they'll still be using the same CPU sockets, so ppl will be able to re-use their current CPUs, no one knows for sure yet too early to tell what the new motherboards are going to be like, thus why its strange DDR4 being released now, as apposed to next year when the new CPUs are released.

Again, they will unable to use their current CPU's, it is a technical impossibility. The only exception to this was the Phenom II which was enabled by including both a DDR2 memory controller and a DDR3 controller on the die.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1782/amd_phenom_ii_ddr2_vs_ddr3_performance/index.html

You cannot change the supported memory for a platform without a compatible controller, back in the old days this wasn't much of a problem because the memory controller sat on the chipset North Bridge however those days are far behind us. As all CPU vendors now integrate the memory controller directly into the CPU die mid stream change out's using north bridge controller upgrades are more or less out of the question, you will be unable to pick up a current Haswell CPU and drop it into a DDR4 platform regardless of pin compatibility. You may see a Haswell refresh or desktop Broadwell part with a DDR4 memory controller, but the current crop of CPU's is a big fat no.

#41 Edited by GreggD (4515 posts) -

Meh. I'm sticking with my DDR3 16gb build. By the time this is affordable, I'll consider upgrading. Maybe by then games will actually need that kind of horsepower...

#42 Posted by Sagalla (218 posts) -

After my motherboard died I kept my overclocked quad core i5 2500k aside and moved my GTX 570 into a media pc with dual core i3 2120 at stock speeds - and haven't noticed any difference, the only point of a new graphics card for me would be 120 fps gaming so... This new RAM would be pretty pointless for quite a while :/

#43 Posted by ch3burashka (5260 posts) -

Isn't Sony using DDR5? Or is that graphics card memory, and thus different?

#44 Posted by GreggD (4515 posts) -

Isn't Sony using DDR5? Or is that graphics card memory, and thus different?

It is currently most common in video cards, yes. However, they're apparently using it as the actual RAM solution. It's mind boggling.

#45 Edited by Nictel (2441 posts) -

@tycobb said:

Sweet. That basically just set my next computer build to be a year or so from now once it has its initial price drop.

Mine too, 64GB memory build incoming. <I am going to run all of the virtual machines>