Do you own a gaming PC?

• 99 results
kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Poll Do you own a gaming PC? (445 votes)

Yes 42%
No 11%
PC and game consoles 47%

I'm just curious of how many people actually have a gaming PC. I personally don't for several reasons, but I just enjoy using them at friends places, as I just a decent one to play Amnesia.

So do you guys have a good gaming rig or do you stay with consoles like me?

• 
jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By jamesyfx

I used to build gaming PC's all the time, spending lots and lots of money and tweaking them constantly, but technology has moved on so far ahead that I just bought a laptop for around the £500 mark and it plays every game I throw at it in ultra/high/medium settings.

I was surprised at how well it handled things, I don't think I'll ever build another gaming desktop. Saving so much money now.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love PC gaming, but unfortunately no, I don't have on at the time.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I'll aways be a PC gamer for life!! :D

yes I own a Gaming PC :D

Avatar image for deactivated-64b71541ba2cd
deactivated-64b71541ba2cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeyravn said:

Better framerates, better visuals, better overall performance. Pretty straightforward answer.

"in the end it's still the same game no matter what." I think he was speaking about the troll game.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

@ikilledthedj said:

@rorie i think your using it wrong

or so right.

I'm surprised no one has marketed that yet.

T-they have.

I don't want to link it, though.

@gaspower said:

@rorie said:

My gaming PC is basically my best friend. Also sometimes a friend with benefits. I love it and want to marry it.

Yes...Ever since I built one for the first time with all the components I picked and bought online a few months ago, I have been loving my time with it. :D

Also it's the only machine that I use it for both gaming and studying/productivity (the latter of which I actually use at least 50% or more with my time with it) and I kinda wish that it's also the same computer I use for work since the office PC is SO...SLOOW.

Gaming grade PCs are so nice for general use since they are so speedy. A gaming PC is more or less a nice general use PC with a graphics card in it (and a power supply beefy enough to handle it).

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gaming PC and game consoles.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just recently bought a new PC for gaming and it was probably the bet decision I've made in a while.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I notice how people always jump on and say how they love PC gaming because the games look better.

I love PC gaming because the games are cheaper!

Humblebundle

Greenmangaming

both of which give you STEAM keys

And there is always a deal like THIS ONE going on

And the support for PC games is just so much better. The modding community on physics based games is enormous, and expansions for PC games are actual expansions, not like XCOM: Enemy Within is for consoles. ($13 cheaper on PC btw)

It's sad that MS tried to take that direction with the xbone but the fan base blew up on them about it. Otherwise I might consider giving the system a shot within the next year.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 360, a gaming laptop that I mostly use like a console (its usually hooked up to the tv with a pad, I love it) and a fairly bad desk top which I use to play games that require mouse and keyboard.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 360, a gaming laptop that I mostly use like a console (its usually hooked up to the tv with a pad, I love it) and a fairly bad desk top which I use to play games that require mouse and keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LZA95W/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022WZM2K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only downside, it takes 3 more network cables to make it all work. But I am running 2 Logitech controllers over that USB extender.

Or wait for SteamOS and move that shitty PC to the living room to use as a streaming client.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally have a gaming PC and I can't believe I went this long only having consoles. It's so nice to have a computer that can play anything I buy off steam for $4.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeyravn said:

@theking said:

@jdh5153 said:

I game on my MacBook Pro. I don't see the point of having a 'gaming PC', in the end it's still the same game no matter what.

Don't worry, the PC master race will ride in on their high horses and tell you why you are wrong and they are right.

Yeah, we should know better than replying to two obvious flamebait posts.

Edit: Seeing your posting history and how much you hate PC gaming, I have to wonder why did you even click on this topic? To stir up some shit, I have to assume, because it's obvious that you just don't like PC gaming at all. So much that you want to ban all discussion of it from Giant Bomb... Why don't you just focus your efforts in posting in a section of the website that better caters to your interests?

Jesus that guy's comment history. This side of the bomb just isn't for ya bud, head on over the console parts

To the actual OP, i own a very expensive PC i hand built and a macbook for work that i used to bootcamp for games before I built my main PC. I also have all the consoles but am not buying the new ones because I see no reason, tho someone might be giving me a ps4.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Where is the option for "Currently in the process of building a PC?" Only parts left are ram and motherboard! =D

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@slaegar said:
@gaspower said:

@rorie said:

My gaming PC is basically my best friend. Also sometimes a friend with benefits. I love it and want to marry it.

Yes...Ever since I built one for the first time with all the components I picked and bought online a few months ago, I have been loving my time with it. :D

Also it's the only machine that I use it for both gaming and studying/productivity (the latter of which I actually use at least 50% or more with my time with it) and I kinda wish that it's also the same computer I use for work since the office PC is SO...SLOOW.

Gaming grade PCs are so nice for general use since they are so speedy. A gaming PC is more or less a nice general use PC with a graphics card in it (and a power supply beefy enough to handle it).

Yeah, the bad part now is that I have a lowered tolerance for slower machine since I've spent more time with a much faster machine. 0_o

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird poll. Every PC is a "Gaming PC". Sure not all of them can play BF4 at max graphics.... but I bet you most PC's made today, even low end ones, could play WoW, DOTA, Civilization, or even older console ports like Saint's Row 2.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nope. I much prefer playing games on consoles.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy the PC experience. I like games that look nice, but I'm not really that into chasing after the highest performance. I honestly just like the interface of a mouse and keyboard, being near the screen, mods, and the near endless library of games. I have good memories of PC gaming as a young kid, and I don't think I'll ever find a gaming experience that personally resonates with me like the PC does.

Man, some serious nostalgia is happening over here.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#68  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I own multiple PC's and consoles. Neither of them are the ridiculously expensive traditional "gaming PC's" though, I always buy mid tier hardware and keep the price of my PC at around $200. I will probably upgrade my CPU next year or so, as it's currently struggling with getting a stable framerate in Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes, nothing super high end. my graphics card is pretty new though.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I was primarily a console gamer for many years, but I was able to build a gaming PC earlier this year.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By Ben_H

I've owned one in one way or another since I was 3. I had my first computer in my room around then (my dad brought it home from work with a huge stack of floppies containing games for me). Not that there was any risk of me looking up something bad on the internet because this was the mid 90s, we didn't have internet, and that machine was ancient by those standards. I played games on it via 5.25" floppies. Being that I was 3 and couldn't really read that was all I used that machine for. My second machine was a Windows 95 Compaq with 32 MB of RAM. That always bummed me out because Age of Empires II required 64 MB of RAM.

I now still have a relatively current PC that can easily run games (It has an i5 3570k, 8 gigs of RAM, and a 6950) but I use it way more for programming stuff than games and am more just messing around with games on Linux than anything deeper these days. I use my Mac laptop more than my desktop now for doing actual work.

That's the funny thing. People always bash Macs these days for not being able to play games but I would bet 80% of people my age's (outside of people like me who had a parent who was big into technology) first experience playing a computer game was Oregon Trail or something on an Apple II or the like at school. My school had a ton of Apple IIs. Eventually they were all replaced with IBM desktops.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish, I have a pretty low power PC right now. I upgraded it with a cheap graphics card that allows me to play some PC games. Most of the indies, Minecraft, Left for Dead, and so on, on pretty good settings. I was planning to build a PC this November but I'm a little tight on cash, so I may wait it out a little longer.

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Mamba219

I really wish I did, but I don't like buying things for myself (particularly things that become outdated the minute you buy them), so I probably never will. I always just play ~4 year old games on PC. I sort of treat 2008 games as being new.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always and forever.

Imst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Imst

As of the moment I don't have one.. But I wanna build my own gaming PC.. I'm looking for suggestions what specs i can buy.. Can anyone here help me a bit?? please :((((

NeoTheta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over the course of about 2 years, I've spent about 1200 overall on my gaming PC, and I love this thing. It's my baby. I do own a 360 as well, but after getting the PC, I just can't seriously game on it.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but its only used to play Paradox Interactive games. Nothing else. Everything else I play on console. I call it my Paradox box.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#78  Edited By chiablo

@imst said:

As of the moment I don't have one.. But I wanna build my own gaming PC.. I'm looking for suggestions what specs i can buy.. Can anyone here help me a bit?? please :((((

This is such a huge topic that it's impossible for someone to give advice without knowing a ton about what you expect.

• What budget do you have?
  • Do you want to somewhat future-proof your system, or build it for games right now?
  • Are you looking for upgrade parts, or a whole new build?
  • Do you have a preference for one brand vs. the other? (AMD vs. Intel; AMD vs. nVidia)
  • Are you OK with waiting a few months to see where the hell things are going on the video card front? AMD's Mantle might be a huge game changer, or it might fizzle out entirely. nVidia is coming out with new cards early next year that also might be a huge game changer or fizzle. It's a good time to get a Video card if you have money to throw away, but it's also a great time to wait.
  • Do you want a couch gaming machine, or desktop?
  • Is noise a concern or not?
  • Do you want to assemble one together yourself, or would you prefer a pre-built machine?

For whole systems, a good resource is the "Build A PC" section on Reddit. You can see people's entire rigs, with pricing, and read comments on what others think: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

Avatar image for deactivated-59f6ef1aee50b
deactivated-59f6ef1aee50b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, i own one and ready for the next generation of games:)

Imst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Imst

@chiablo: Thanks for the help and the link...I will check this and answer you right away once I finish my work.. :D

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

You'd be surprise how many games can run on low end machines.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#82  Edited By Nodima

No, I own a 2008 20" iMac. It can run Civilization IV, Hotline Miami (and probably the other games that came in that Humble Bundle, but I never loaded them up) and emulators. I bought Half Life 2 for $2.50 on Steam this summer and it cannot run Half Life 2. Oh yea, it can't run DOTA 2 either.

I do remember playing a lot of LucasArts games on an Apple PowerPC in the early 90s (including TIE Fighter and the like), and then my family tried to switch to a PC in the late-90s/early 2000s but unfortunately got swept up in the era of Gateway and Windows ME so it was a fucking NIGHTMARE on the operating system side. It was nice to play Monkey's Island 3, Blade Runner, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Age of Empires II and Call of Duty 2, though. But I never enjoyed using a mouse and keyboard for shooters; I vastly preferred Goldeneye and Perfect Dark to those amazing PC shooters.

But I would never again choose a non-OS X PC just so I could play more games. I will take an enjoyable user experience over video games any day.

Twisted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I built mine in late 2009 or early 2010, I put in an i5-750 (original series i5, quad core), a HD 5850 and 4gb of RAM. I haven't changed anything and it still runs things pretty well. Though the only recent and graphically intensive game I own would probably be Max Payne 3, which runs very smoothly on High settings. So I'm still very happy with my build. I spent about $1100 AUD on it at the time, so I didn't go all out with it, I kept a bit of a tighter budget but I made sure it would be somewhat future proof.

I think I might have to make some upgrade in the next year though, though with uni and not having much money anymore, I don't really buy and play the latest games anyway.

Wired_Abyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I game on my boot-camped mac pro, but I also have game consoles.

I don't even think I'll get an Xbox One or a PS4 at this point because since I've started PC gaming I've played console games less and less.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. It's a FrankenPC with Windows 7 64-bit, G620 CPU, GTX 550Ti and 4 gigs of I dunno, DDR3 probably, that I've been chucking the occasional upgrade into over the years (most recently the 550Ti which I picked up for a song.) The only thing I've tried to run on it recently was Legend of Grimrock, and it ran that flawlessly at 1080p. I do most of my gaming on console.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

it is my gaming platform of choice.. yes i own a ps3 and 360 (and have ps4 and xbone coming). But if i have the choice i'll always play on the PC - even if i have a wait months.

Liquidsolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got my current PC back in 2009, and I've only had one upgrade to it maybe a couple years in, the video card, and its more-or-less been fine with most games I've tried to play, though I'm planning to get a new PC built within the next month

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Azteck

A very beefy computer, PS3 and an Xbox 360. Collected over the past 7 years or so

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a midrange PC that couldn't quite run Battlefield 4 but could do Call of Duty: Ghosts at this point. I don't want to upgrade anytime soon I want new consoles.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yup gaming pc and a java phone xD

wastedcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By wastedcolumbo

Gaming PC, gaming laptop and soon a gaming HTPC.... I still own a ps3, 360 and Wii but I doubt this current new gen will have me owning all 3 platforms.

Avatar image for bendik_solbakken
Bendik_Solbakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do have a custom built mid to high end PC for game development that I also use as a gaming PC. I don't have a PC that I use only for gaming though. But I do have a old laptop dedicated to Netflix hooked up to my TV! (though it's rendered useless now that I've picked up a Wii U..)

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think? A 3570k, 8gb ram and 660 ti is considered a gaming PC right?

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Yesterday, I bought a new 750w Corsair PSU and a second GTX 680 to SLI with.

I'm just happy and wanted to tell you guys.

kipperminge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

Weird poll. Every PC is a "Gaming PC". Sure not all of them can play BF4 at max graphics.... but I bet you most PC's made today, even low end ones, could play WoW, DOTA, Civilization, or even older console ports like Saint's Row 2.

Saints Row 2 is one of the best examples of a port done badly. Terribly optimised and struggles to run at a respectable solid framerate on a system with 12gb DDR3 ram, 3.6ghz quad core and GTX 570.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By fattony12000

Nearly any and every personal computer can play at least some form of video game, as has been the case since the 1970s.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yup.. Pc Gaming ftw :)

Been using Steam for 8 years.

• CPU: AMD FX-4100 4-Core (3.6GHz)
  • MOB: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, Socket-AM3+
  • RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX blu 1600MHz 16GB
  • GFX: GIGABYTE RADEON HD7970 OC 3GB
  • HDD: Western Digital® Desktop Green 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair HX 750W
  • Gear: CM Storm Devastator MS2K & MB24

Thats my rig.

Avatar image for noctisluciscaelum
NoctisLucisCaelum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Nope, but someday I would like one, for PC exclusives and hopefully better performing 3rd party games.