HDDWD RED 2TB 3.5" SATA 6GB/s 64MB£80
CaseFractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Case£81
PSUCorsair 600W CX Builder Series 80 Plus Bronze£55
Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit DVD£73
Acer G246HLB 24" LED LCD HDMI Monitor£130
Logitech MK260 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse£21
Total

£1029

After weeks of looking to buy my first gaming pc, I've realised I'll probably save a bit of money and end up with a better system if I attempt to build it myself. I'm looking for a PC that will be very fast to boot and use, be capable of multi-tasking, be able to run games at a playable speed for a good few years, and be fairly easy to upgrade when that's no longer possible. Are there any parts that I should change to save money/invest elsewhere? Will I need to overclock the CPU? I would be very grateful for any advice you can offer, feel free to tell me it sucks, thanks for your time!

#2 Edited by Rowr (5475 posts) -

I doubt you will find the need to overclock the cpu, but you always can if you want. I've got my CPU overclocked by a gigahertz for no real reason that's probably noticable. As far as i can tell, if you aren't doing any intensive compiling - or whatever people do when they work with computers then any newish CPU is fine for any gaming.

Looks fine at a glance, i'm not completely up to date but i think Nvidia has released the 760 so depending on price difference that may be worth looking at. The 660 might struggle over the next few years to keep up with the latest and greatest? Given the impending console launch.

#3 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

@rowr said:

I doubt you will find the need to overclock the cpu, but you always can if you want. I've got my CPU overclocked by a gigahertz for no real reason that's probably noticable. As far as i can tell, if you aren't doing any intensive compiling - or whatever people do when they work with computers then any newish CPU is fine for any gaming.

Looks fine at a glance, i'm not completely up to date but i think Nvidia has released the 760 so depending on price difference that may be worth looking at. The 660 might struggle over the next few years to keep up with the latest and greatest? Given the impending console launch.

Agreed.

And yes, I'd say go with a 760 if you can. Fine choices on everything else. Nice case choice.

I wouldn't worry about overclocking right now, but it's good to have that K version with the unlocked multiplier so that you can eventually mess with overclocking sometime down the line. Keep in mind that you'll want an aftermarket cooler if you plan on doing that, but that's something you can upgrade to.

#4 Edited by Bollard (5209 posts) -

Save like £20 and don't get the i5 4670K, cause I doubt you will need to overclock. Is the WD Red 7200rpm? If not, put that extra £20 towards a Black. Or, if you want to get more speed out your SSD get this version: http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/harddrives-internal/solidstate/upto120gb/sdssdx-120g-g25.html Has a slightly faster read speed and double the write speed (although that won't affect your boot time) for an extra tenner.

I personally like going overkill on power, so would get a 750W for your build. But 600 is probably fine. As for being able to upgrade you can totally get another 660 and SLI them in a couple of years to keep your machine current (but then you miiight get close to your power limit on that 600W. If you can find a similarly priced 650W maybe consider it?).

EDIT: Actually yeah, what Rowr said, the 760 is only ~£25 more for an OC'd card. Worth it I think, and still has SLI potential.

#5 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

Is the WD Red 7200rpm? If not, put that extra £20 towards a Black.

You're right.

Go with a WD Black. The Red line are networking drives, and are not 7200 rpm.

Also, I would personally stay away from SLI setups, but that's just me.

#6 Edited by fetchfox (1217 posts) -

Not knowing much about the technical side anymore, I can at least commend you for choosing the Fractal R4 case! I have one myself and love its minimalistic look and functional interior.

#7 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1405 posts) -

@act26: Don't get the H87 with the 4670k, the H87 doesn't allow for CPU overclocking so the 4670 K wouldn't be worth it, you could downgrade the CPU to a 4670 and save 20$ or move up your Motherboard to a Z87 to allow for overclock. As others above have said use a WD Black, Reds are mainly network based.

I would also look for the GTX 760 instead of 660, a generation ahead for a very similar price.

Good luck and ask away if that wasn't enough!

PS. For the SSD I'd go for a Corsair or Samsung but that might only be me :P

#8 Posted by rm082e (196 posts) -

@act26: Don't get the H87 with the 4670k, the H87 doesn't allow for CPU overclocking so the 4670 K wouldn't be worth it, you could downgrade the CPU to a 4670 and save 20$ or move up your Motherboard to a Z87 to allow for overclock. As others above have said use a WD Black, Reds are mainly network based.

I would also look for the GTX 760 instead of 660, a generation ahead for a very similar price.

Just backing up what has already been said. Get the locked version of that CPU to save money, or bump up the mobo to a Z87 if you want to overclock. Also go for the GTX 760.

#9 Edited by VACkillers (1059 posts) -
#10 Edited by Bollard (5209 posts) -

@jjweatherman: Yeah, I wouldn't go SLI as a first choice, but as a possible upgrade path in the future it's not terrible.

#11 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

@rm082e said:

@lethalki11ler said:

Just backing up what has already been said. Get the locked version of that CPU to save money, or bump up the mobo to a Z87 if you want to overclock. Also go for the GTX 760.

Good catch. I really shouldn't be posting in these kinds of threads after randomly waking up at four in the morning.

#12 Posted by VACkillers (1059 posts) -

lol its all good... no matter what time of the day it is :D