Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By colourful_hippie

I'm going to be building another PC in May and was looking for suggestions on what kind of mouse I should get. I was looking at this but I'm not sure if that would be overkill?

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've never tried one of the cyborg mice, I've always thought they looked kinda cool though, they seem to divide opinion a lot.

I use a Razer Dethadder, it's like an expensive Microsoft Intellimouse, it's by far the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. Logitech MX518 comes a close second though, plus it's cheaper.

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are not using macros for RPGs, you should buy Logitech G9x

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another Razer Dethadder user here. It's very comfortable and never disappointed me. 3 years and still going.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By mosdl

G700 baby. I do have big hangs though and love it.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

razer deathadder, kind of a dumb name but a pretty nice mouse. very comfortable and never any issues

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The DeathAdder is extremely comfortable and precise/smooth and not expensive for a gaming mouse.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The G9x is really nice to use. I have one. Death Adder is fine too but they do have a tendency to break (Mine did after a year. Double clicked like crazy).

Stay away from those Cyborg R.A.T. mice. They are notorious for having garbage sensors that screw up quite badly.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use a Logitech G500 (and a G5 for years before that, which was basically the same thing), but I've heard that the Logitech G500s is the newest/best version of the same mouse, albeit with a terrible paint job.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By myke_tuna

I use a Logitech G400 which is very similar to the already mentioned MX518. Works great for what I need it to do. The G500 is really good too. I actually wanted a G500, but I needed to save some money somewhere on my latest build so I got the G400 instead. I don't really regret my purchase seeing as I never use all the buttons on the G400 anyway.

No Caption Provided

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ye olde razer deathadder v2

i hear steelseries are fine too

PsyChronic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

R.A.T. 7 is the best gaming mouse I have used. It gives the user many options with palm rests, pinky rests, weights, and has a very effective profile editor. Here's a revew from max pc, good luck in your search!

posh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By posh

I think gaming mice are for babies (especially ones called "razer deathadder") so I got a microsoft comfort mouse 6000 and it's great. fits perfectly in my hand and the clicks feel nice, doesn't feel like a cheap mouse

No Caption Provided

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Logitech G500 is really nice, a good solid mouse. Pretty cheap now too. It also has the benefit of not being called "deathadder" and not looking like a robot took a shit on your desk.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use a Logitech G500. I like it but it's the only gaming mouse i've used. I use Logitech Gaming Software to set specific keys to the side buttons but sometimes that doesn't work. IDK I have not used the software much, been playing mostly controler games on the PC recently.

It's hard to get mouse recommendations since most people I think use one mouse for a long, long, time. Norm from Tested.com did do a review on the G500s and he ended up liking it more than the R.A.T 7 he has been using for the last year or so. http://www.tested.com/tech/accessories/454216-tested-logitech-g500s-laser-gaming-mouse/

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like my RAT 7, but its sensor has had too many issues for me to keep using it and it's out of warranty. My personal recommendation would be the G500 but that is on the larger side. Personal preference definitely weighs into mice suggestions.

anobix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By anobix

Logitech G500, I've used and reviewed a few and I keep coming back to the Logitech.

Amp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Amp

Full disclosure: I interned for a gaming mouse distributor in the summer of 2012. If you feel that invalidates my opinions and suggestions, please feel free to ignore the rest of my post.

First thing's first. Never, ever, buy a mouse, gamer-branded or otherwise, until you have a chance to hold it in your hand. Unless you're like me, and just love collecting mice, this is the most important factor in mouse choice. Your mouse, be it as a gamer, or as a normal computer user, is quite likely the most used peripheral on your computer, next to your keyboard. You have to make sure it's comfortable to hold, for several hours. Beg borrow or steal if you have to, the price of gamer-branded mice these days is far too expensive to buy sight-unseen.

Second, you probably don't need a "gamer mouse". Namely, the fact that you're asking the Giant Bomb forums for their opinion. Now, I'm not telling you they're not better-engineered products. (Granted, in a few cases, they actually aren't.) What I'm saying is there aren't many people who will notice the difference on whether their mouse has angle-snapping, pixel-jitter, etc. tl;dr unless you plan on competing in tournaments regularly, an office-store brand mouse should probably work just fine.

Third, anyone who tells you to buy a specific brand/model of mouse to try should immediately be ignored, as they have no idea what they're saying. The choice of mouse is far too personal to leave it up to anyone else. I currently use a CM Storm Spawn, but I hardly ever suggest it, because I know that the Spawn fits me, and the way I hold a mouse, and the way I play, better than most mice on the market, but I'm one of the few people who hold a mouse in such a way that the Spawn benefits me.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really depends on you. I have a Logitech G9x and personally love that thing, but that mouse may not be the one for you. You should also deeply evaluate why you want a gaming mouse in the first place. If you're really competitive in certain games, then it is worth the investment. If you play a lot of MMO's, a gaming mouse with a lot of buttons may do the job. In most cases, however, a normal mouse is perfectly fine.

Finding the right mouse also depends on ergonomic preferences as well as gaming habits. Be sure to note what kind of grip you use with your hand, as most mice are designed to fit one particular gripping style. If you tend to rest the entire hand flat on the mouse, a bigger mouse will serve you best. If you only touch the mouse with your fingertips, a smaller mouse is generally preferable. Make sure you can test it out in a store before you purchase, and don't ever buy a mouse unless you want to be stuck with a mouse that feels like crap and cramps your hand after a while

Overall, if someone tells you to get a certain mouse because they really like theirs, don't take it without a grain of salt. What works for them may not work for you. That's why there are so many kinds of mice to choose from. Odds are, one of them is for you.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Consider me another member of the Deathadder master race. I really, really like the way it fits in my hand. The Logitech mice always feel really weird and have small buttons and the like. I do not like them. I like the Deathadder. This is my recommendation to you.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amp said:

Full disclosure: I interned for a gaming mouse distributor in the summer of 2012. If you feel that invalidates my opinions and suggestions, please feel free to ignore the rest of my post.

First thing's first. Never, ever, buy a mouse, gamer-branded or otherwise, until you have a chance to hold it in your hand. Unless you're like me, and just love collecting mice, this is the most important factor in mouse choice. Your mouse, be it as a gamer, or as a normal computer user, is quite likely the most used peripheral on your computer, next to your keyboard. You have to make sure it's comfortable to hold, for several hours. Beg borrow or steal if you have to, the price of gamer-branded mice these days is far too expensive to buy sight-unseen.

I 100% agree with this advice in theory, but unfortunately it's very difficult to actually find a good supply of mice to compare and contrast at the same time nowadays. Even in the heyday of CompUSA, the selection of tester mice was pretty paltry, and I've never seen a good selection of top-flight mice at Best Buy. (Maybe Fry's does this better?)

Ask your IRL friends, though, and try every mouse you can find when you go over to people's houses. It's a shame that it's so tough to get hands-on with mice when trying to make a buying decision. In the end you might have to make an Amazon purchase and just return something if it doesn't feel good to you.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SomeJerk

I've got huge ol' hands and can confirm Logitech thumb buttons have become quite small over the years (G500 currently, only using the frontal thumb button), but! If you'd like to do more than point and click and also want to make life a little easier, say if you play online, get a mouse with keys you can rebind that also has a scrollwheel you can click side to side (like Logitechs). Those are two more functions you can trigger from your hand, it's a time-saver and a life-saver.

Modifying DPI on the go should not be necessary, but having a memory based on exe-name for mouse settings like individual X/Y speeds is a nice thing for old games and bad games.

IcedWhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

logitech g500 really happy with it. Although that dumb razer specter mouse that promises maximum APM is a type of dumb I could get behind if I had money to burn. Getting back on point the g500 is really nice it has the adjustable weight and DPS it has on board memory in case you are moving this mouse from computer to computer and don't want to have to redo you settings every time. If my g500 broke today I would buy another g500 for sure.

Crypt135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Crypt135

Very happy with all of the Logitech mice I've owned. I have ~6 year old MX518 that still works like a champ and I'm currently using a g500 (which is what I'd recommend). They're very comfortable for those who utilize a claw/fingertip grip.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nictel

Logitech G500, I have it for a while now which makes me surprised it is still that expensive. It does everything I need from a mouse: variable scroll speed, variable cursor speed and variable weight. On top of that it fits perfectly in my hand. That rat9 I think is made for people who play a ton of MMO's or other games where you might want a billion buttons and commands on your mouse, personally I am quite happy pressing the keys on my keyboard.

enai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By enai

As others have stated the Logitech G500 is a great mouse. Before that I used the Logitech MX518 which lasted me 6 years until it started looking really bad. I've been using the G500 for about 2 years now and it's still as good as ever. Great fit, just enough buttons and it has an awesome scroll wheel setting.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use a a razer orochi. It's small, and mainly for convenience of being able to use it wireless from the couch or wired with the laptop from a desk when i'm travelling.

I like this mouse. When I get a proper desk mouse I guess the deathadder is probably the logical progression. Personally i've always made do with whatever and I feel "gaming mice" are a little bit overboard. Though if I was to buy one I would be looking hard at that RAT9.

Realistically though you are probably going to set it up once and then use it in it's most basic function like any other mouse. It's probably nice to have the flexibility of a mouse like that if you are someone prone to any kind of wrist strain (I wont go there) or strange usage quirks.

For instance, when i'm not playing games I handle my mouse at a 90 degree angle. Does anyone else do this or am I just weird?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By Seppli

Logitec gaming mice for me. The low-end G-series is all you need. High-end if you've got money to burn. Exclusively for right handed players though, as far as I'm aware.

eminenssi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm devout to Logitech G700.

I prefer Logitech for the 3 year guarantee, I last time paid for a mouse 2009. Gave in my G700 last week and a got a brand spanking new one.

G700 because it's got plenty of buttons and it's a convertible: The cord connects via mini-USB to the front, so it's your choice of cord or cordless.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like my RAT 7, but its sensor has had too many issues for me to keep using it and it's out of warranty. My personal recommendation would be the G500 but that is on the larger side. Personal preference definitely weighs into mice suggestions.

I'd also like to recommend not getting a RAT 7. I've had sensor issues as well. The housing for the laser seems to like to collect dust and a spray with some condensed air usually does it, but sometimes it'll happen when you least expect it and can completely ruin a whole round in a multiplayer game if it happens at the wrong time. Also, I use the side buttons a lot, and the side buttons stopped registering unless I hit it from an uncomfortable angle. Fortunately it was under warranty and they replaced it but I suspect the issue will come again over heavy use.

I had a Razer BlackAdder which I loved except for the slick sides so if your hands are wet at all, you'll have trouble gripping it. It looks like their new edition of the BlackAdder, I think they call it just the BlackAdder 2013 Edition or something like that, has grips on the sides. I think if this RAT 7 has issues with the side buttons again, I'll be buying that Razer.

mderbs311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just bought a Corsair Vengeance M60 gaming mouse here and I am loving it!!! It was 50 bucks, and has excellent build quality, usb 3.0 connector, braided cable, a rubberized grip up top in the palm area with a slightly textured area on the sides for easy gripping, aluminum under-body with 3 removable weights to make its heaviness to your liking, slight blue led glowy aesthetics without being gaudy, 7 buttons you can configure with software it comes with, on the fly switching between 3 dpi settings of your choosing (via buttons below the scroll wheel), and a dedicated "sniper" button, which when depressed lowers the dpi to about 800 for precision aiming, which I thought was a total gimmick but actually works pretty well! Seriously, the thing just feels premium throughout! All in all, ive been impressed with Corsairs products, would recommend you check them out!

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I actually ended up using the Tron gaming mouse from razer because I got one new for super cheap.

No Caption Provided

it does look kind of uncomfortable, and for about a day it did feel weird in my hand. But now it feels perfectly good, and I no longer accidentally bump the side buttons (it was the first mouse that had them for me). I can't say I really recommend it unless you can get it suuuper cheap like I did.

Johnhe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's looks so cool:)

Perilion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in a similar position now myself. I have a Roccat Kone v1 which is really nice, but it keeps cutting in and out (there is something causing it rather than it being a hardware issue with the mouse) I really recommend people take a look at the Roccat Kone if you like a rounded mouse that fills your hand. I suppose looking at the advice above, the best question to ask is, which makes of gaming mice would people recommend or advise against? I was looking at the R.A.T. 7 but apparently a lot of people have tracking issues. I've had a Logitech mouse before and it was great, until the wire broke. Razer feel really cheap to me, don't know how that translates to their higher end hardware but I've been left feeling very 'meh' about what I've seen.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I use a SteelSeries Sensei right now, and it's a really good mouse. It can't put out the advertised polling rate of 1000Hz at all, but it does 500Hz just fine and does everything else perfectly. It's a nice, ambidextrous mouse that is comfortable to hold, though I prefer a slightly larger mouse than most people.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jimbo

Deathadder for me too, just make sure you don't use it on a shiny surface.

Dylstew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another vote here for the g400. It's cheap and works perfectly fine.