#1 Edited by KontX (116 posts) -

Hello all! It's that time of year again. Time for an upgrade. I was wondering what is a good graphics card upgrade from a EVGA Geforce 450 GTS 1GB? I built my PC three years ago and a lot of cards have come out since, so I am behind on the latest and greatest. My budget is $200-$300 range. I run on a 650w PSU so nothing that takes more than that. Much appreciated. Cheers!

#2 Edited by mosdl (3228 posts) -
#3 Posted by mikey87144 (1667 posts) -

You can run a Titan on that power supply. I would spend $30 more on a GTX 770 but the 760 is great. That's what I have currently.

#4 Posted by Korwin (2830 posts) -

GTX760 or R9 280x.

#5 Edited by e30bmw (356 posts) -
#6 Edited by jsnyder82 (728 posts) -

You could get an AMD Radeon R9 280X. They're only $300 and perform slightly better than a GTX 770. As much as I've preferred Nvidia in the past, I went ahead and bought one of the Gigabyte R9 280X's, just to save some money, and it hasn't disappointed so far. Awesome, awesome card.

#7 Posted by KontX (116 posts) -

Thanks for all the prompt responses, fellas! I'll probably end up getting the GTX 760 or R9 280X. I'm assuming a Titan is the next innovative step forward? I haven't heard of them until now.

#8 Posted by Korwin (2830 posts) -

@kontx said:

Thanks for all the prompt responses, fellas! I'll probably end up getting the GTX 760 or R9 280X. I'm assuming a Titan is the next innovative step forward? I haven't heard of them until now.

It was a Halo product that Nvidia put out earlier in the year to show off what they could do with a high end Kepler chip (and priced it accordingly since they left the DP computing power un-restricted). These days it's not worth the cash in the gaming space since the 780 Ti is faster and cheaper.

#9 Posted by slyspider (1156 posts) -

Correct me if we are talking about a different titan, but they are around 1000$ and not that much better than the 500$ cards you can get.

#10 Posted by Broomhitches (172 posts) -

Amazon has a sweet deal for Nvidia cards. Get up to 3 free games when you purchase one of the following cards, some of the cards also have mail-in rebates.

1. Purchase any qualifying GTX 660, 660Ti, or 760 and after the product ships you will receive an email within 7-10 business days with a download code for Assassin’s Creed IV:Black Flag and Splinter Cell:Black List.

2. Purchase any qualifying GTX 770, 780, 780 Ti, or TITAN GPU and after the product ships you will receive two separate emails within 7-10 business days with download codes for Assassin’s Creed IV:Black Flag, Splinter Cell:Black List, and Batman Arkham Origins.

#11 Posted by vonFlampanker (327 posts) -

I just bought an R9 280x (a week before they announced the free BF4 promo, damn it all) and am very happy with it thus far. The 7970s are the older gen AMD cards and are more or less the same as the 280x's. You'll probably be able to pick up one of those as retailers clear them out for the newer stuff.

Some good deals coming through here now that Black Friday approaches: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales

#12 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

Honestly dude? I would wait. Unless there is a game you're dying to play that your card cannot handle, don't waste your money. Wait for that game that really needs the extra push and then look into buying a new card. Otherwise I just think you're wasting money.

#13 Posted by VACkillers (1059 posts) -

Personally I would get a GTX 760 4GB version, the VRAM is going to be even more important as the new gen un-folds and we're already seeing games completely maxing out the once thought 2GB cards being enough for 1920 res gaming. you can still pick up a 4GB version for 280$ on newegg.

Bit late to this thread but figured I would still mention my thoughts though.

#14 Edited by VACkillers (1059 posts) -

Personally I would get a GTX 760 4GB version, the VRAM is going to be even more important as the new gen un-folds and we're already seeing games completely maxing out the once thought 2GB cards being enough for 1920 res gaming. you can still pick up a 4GB version for 280$ on newegg. The 4GB versions of the 760s are factory overclocked as well, and massively overclocked. Their Oc'd passed the standard GTX 770 and you're getting 4GB of VRAM as well.

Bit late to this thread but figured I would still mention my thoughts though.