Gtx 1080/1070/1060,Amd rx480... Who's got one and how are you liking it?

• 66 results
OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OurSin_360

Well i just buckled and ordered me a 1080 that will hopefully be here this week(paid for 2 day shipping but newegg is bad about that stuff) so I'm wondering who has got there hands on these and how do you like them? The 1070 has been in pretty healthy stock lately but the 1080 is still in short supply coming in stock maybe twice a week or so for various models(Founders editions have been kinda stable though). I bought this one today ended up costing about what they charge for a founders edition but with 2 day shipping and no tax( i get taxed on amazon now).

Anyway, how are the cards treating you all? Regret the buy(like i'm almost doing lol) or are they performing as expected or better?

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Got a 1070. Seems fantastic. Upgraded from a 7950 and it's extremely noticeable. Locked 60 on every game maxed out I've tried.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

The 1070 better than my old card (GTX 760). But for what I do/want (1080p, 60fps), it's not worth it. It will be more future proof, which is ultimately why I picked it up, but I don't care to be on the cutting edge. I'm probably due for a full upgrade in about a year (CPU, motherboard, RAM), so I could've waited until then to get everything, but I just wanted to play Witcher 3 on decent settings at 60 fps (which I get now). So I'm not too disappointed.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you guys tried out the dsr feature? I think it worked suprisingly well when i tried it def works well for aliasing. It wont be true 1440p but it def makes games look better.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MezZa

Gigabyte model of the gtx 1070 here. Upgraded from a 770. Loving it. Has helped smooth out the games I wasn't able to run on ultra. Went from having to run things on high to having everything on ultra now. I bought it on newegg for the cheapest price I've seen on this model yet, so I'm just glad I dodged all the price gouging. Very quiet card too so it has that going for it.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm afraid to try out the supersampling feature, myself. Maybe I shouldn't. I dunno.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: DSR is great for aliasing (as you said), especially if the AA on hand is something shitty like FXAA since you avoid the blur that goes along with something like that. Both the 1070 (for slightly older titles as 1440p and up can be very demanding) and 1080 are great cards for it.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I've been using that on my 970 for ages. It makes such a drastic difference even if you're only on a 1080p monitor downsampling 1440p. I use it over using MSAA in games.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got a Gigabyte 1070, and has run everything I throw at it on Ultra. 4k on my TV makes me cut things down to high or med/high to get a stable FPS, but runs 1080 60fps on my monitor. Fallout 4 has had maybe 2-3 dips off of 60 (50-55), but runs great. DOOM runs on Nightmare, a step over ultra, solid 60 fps, and is using around 50-60% of the GPU.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OurSin_360

@shivermetimbers said:

I'm afraid to try out the supersampling feature, myself. Maybe I shouldn't. I dunno.

I used it with MGSV with my 980 and it definitely made the game look a bit better, i obviously couldn't do 4k, but 1440p actually worked well. With a 1070 i def think you'll get well over 60 fps in most games at 1440p(in something like mgsv probably even higher). It's mostly for aliasing and some details end up looking sharper, you have to mess with the smoothing setting to get it how you like though. You basically get to chose higher resolutions in the game settings and can always go back to 1080p if it doesn't work out. It won't hurt to try it out!

Just got a Gigabyte 1070, and has run everything I throw at it on Ultra. 4k on my TV makes me cut things down to high or med/high to get a stable FPS, but runs 1080 60fps on my monitor. Fallout 4 has had maybe 2-3 dips off of 60 (50-55), but runs great. DOOM runs on Nightmare, a step over ultra, solid 60 fps, and is using around 50-60% of the GPU.

Yeah, i remember fallout being gimped by heavy cpu load from shadow distance have you tried turning that down?

what kinda fps did you get at 4k with the settings turned down? 30's, 40-s 50's or 60's? I'll probably be trying some 4k with my 1080, i know it won't run maxed but if i can run it at high/med and get 60 or close to it i'll probably stick with that.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frytup

Echoing above... got an EVGA 1070 "superclock" when Newegg had them in stock last week. Upgrading from a 770. It's a bit silly since I'm running 1920x1200, but I plan to upgrade to 1440p fairly soon so what the hell.

I'm actually a little sad that Witcher 3 on ultra w/hairworks isn't a consistent 60 frames even with the 1070. Other than that, this thing chews through everything I throw at it without breaking a sweat. Too bad the only game out that there really has a use for 8GB VRAM is Shadow of Mordor with HD textures.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Got my Asus Strix 1070 last week and put the PC together over the weekend. Have only been able to put in an hour of gaming, final semester for me, but it played and looked like a dream. Really happy with the purchase and glad I didn't wait longer to try and snag a 1080

Hatemachine76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got a Gigabyte 1080 G1. Have only played Doom and some MGSV at 4K, all settings cranked up. Love it. One quirk, the fans aren't supposed to spool up until the temp hits 50/60? degrees but below that temp the rpm bounces between 0 and around 1100 constantly, sounds like a HDD head grinding the platter. Fix for me was to create a custom fan profile with EVGA PrecisonX, base of 760rpm/20%.

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've had my Gigabyte 1080 for almost a month now and don't regret it. Recently it started make a loud noise I think is coil whine but it only does it during the first loading screen for Doom. The card runs Doom at 200 fps easily.

I've got a corsair h100i water cooler that lets me change the fan settings so I can have it completely silent if I want. I don't really notice the fan when playing games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EVGA 1080 SC. It's great.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Samael2138

@oursin_360: Yeah, shadow distance is set to medium, and grass fade is about a medium, other than that, everything is maxed. I wanna say that FPS in 4k was around 60 at medium, but I could be wrong. MSI Afterburners' on screen display was not showing properly on my tv. It seemed pretty steady, but I did notice frame drops on med-high settings for sure.

I'm gonna mess around with it some more tonight,so I'll get back to you with some more info, if I get the display working.

Edit: Got Afterburner working, and Fallout 4 at medium settings was running around 45-50fps, and DOOM on Ultra was running 45-55fps. So the 1070 can run games at 4k, but it's not getting 60 without turning a lot of options down. The 1080 should run at 4k a bit better, but you might have to settle for Med. Maybe Med-high for a really well optimized game.

At 1080p though, it runs just about everything flawlessly.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ripelivejam

so how close are we to non reference 1080s becoming readily available?

ill ask here cause im wary to start a thread for opinions (and frankly working in IT i should have a better idea): going from an fx 8350/r9 290 which would give me the best benefit first? changing to a core i7 build or swapping the r9 290 for a 1080? kinda leaning towards the i7 just to have a good foundation, but im also very impatient for 60fps at max or near max settings (hopefully at 1440p). thanks in advance.

e: also wondering if i5 would be suitably powerful and be a decent improvement over the fx8350

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got my 1070 a few days ago and I'm in love, everything just runs like a dream!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I splurged on an MSI 1070 Gaming X. Thing runs like a charm, very quiet, very cool and we already knew it was gonna be way too powerful for anything I could test it on. Doom on max settings and 1080p ran at 160-200 fps when I was just messing around. I am mostly impressed by the temperature though, it idles at 34C and the fans turn themselves off at that point. Even playing games it only reached 60C with fans at 28%. It's actually stupid how cool it's been.

bluesun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To all those in the thread who have upgraded from a 760/770... are any of you running a 500W power supply? If so, did you keep it and have any issues?

I'm looking at going from my 760 to a 1060/1070, from what I have read it has similar power draw so should be a drop in replacement; but obviously real world can vary, so looking for actual experiences from GB duders before putting any dosh down...

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By TobbRobb

@ripelivejam: For games an i5 is more than suitable. I use an i5 4690k and it's apparently good enough to do Doom at 1080/200.

I'd maybe consider an i7 for specific niche CPU heavy games like maybe ARMA or Total War, but you should probably only really get one if you are doing non-gaming things that'd benefit from it.

If I remember right, the r9 290 is roughly equivalent to the card I replaced (HD7970). I considered my 1070 purchase a luxury upgrade and somewhat of an unneccessary expense, since those cards can play any game at fairly high settings. I just wanted that stable 60 just like you. 1070 is already more than you need to play any games out now at 1080p with perfect stability. A 1080 would be overkill, I'd only suggest that for higher resolution gaming.

EDIT: I'm dumb for reading 1440p as 1080p. Too lazy to edit the post though. But I'd stick to the general sentiment that getting an i5 is a solid upgrade, and if you can afford the extra expense I guess a 1080 is maybe not a bad idea for 1440, but I wouldn't be surprised if a 1070 did the trick just as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado: FXAA is not that shitty when used on higher resolutions (1440 or 4k). At these resolutions the blurring is minimal and you avoid textures shimmering (which i find way more distracting then a softer image). Even on a 1080 other AA settings at high rsolutions can murder performance whit little visual improvements in return.

Dsr is a great feature when you are stuck on a 1080p panel and are using a 1070 or 1080. You really should be looking to upgrade to a 1440p or 4k monitor when using these cards though. A 27 inch 1440p desktop monitor greatly improves a pc gaming experience IMO. If you want to go 4k you should be hooking up a larger screen still. If this is not an option for you you should stick to the 1060 or 480.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking about getting a 1060, but then it debuted in Australia at 420 dollarydoos.
If I'm dropping that much cash, might as well get a PS4.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I was thinking about getting a 1060, but then it debuted in Australia at 420 dollarydoos.

If I'm dropping that much cash, might as well get a PS4.

The first 1060 cards are hovering around the 400 euros mark here in Finland as well, but preorders for EVGA and MSI models costing under 300 euros are up in a few places. One of those cards will be in my PC, hopefully by the end of the month.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I picked up a 1080 G1 Gaming shortly after launch but it suffered from particularly obnoxious coil whine so I returned it for an EVGA FTW. I've paired it with a 1440p 165Hz Gsync monitor which is a great matchup.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluesun said:

To all those in the thread who have upgraded from a 760/770... are any of you running a 500W power supply? If so, did you keep it and have any issues?

I'm looking at going from my 760 to a 1060/1070, from what I have read it has similar power draw so should be a drop in replacement; but obviously real world can vary, so looking for actual experiences from GB duders before putting any dosh down...

500W is more than enough. I upgraded from a 780 and my 450W has no problems with my 1070.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: Yea, the prices are kinda insane in the Netherlands too. The prices in Germany seem fair (around 300, you could get them for like 270 if you were quick).

I'm either picking up a custom RX 480 or one of those discounted Fury cards that seem to become available in Germany next week. Nvidia's Vulkan performance is too poor to justify buying an 1060 and I mainly want a new card for DOOM (and don't forget Quake Champions!). Also in some other games I play (Black Ops 3 for example), Nvidia doesn't seem to be doing too hot.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OurSin_360

@ripelivejam: they seem to be sitting on the 1080's right now trying to make as much as possible so not really sure how long till non founders are readily available. They had some yesterday the one i got and (i beleive) an asus strix which was marked at founders price. It has a great cooler but reviews stated the overclock really wasnt much better and to me not worth 100 over msrp. There was also a water block model for about 80 over the founders edition, but again overclocks seem to tap at a certain level regardless.

I think we discussed the 8350 before, for me just moving from that to a i5 6600k helped stop random frame drops. I only paired it with my 980 but i would guess it wouldnt increasw your framerate like a new card would but rather stable it out like it did me.

@samael2138: thanks for the info! Seems like that 1070 runs pretty great at 4k has me hype to see what this 1080 will do. Doom seems really well optimized for the newer cards.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waiting for the evga's 1070's to hit the sub $400 US mark. I just upgraded to a 6700k which is running happily at 4.7ghz and slapped my old 970 in it. Things are smoother than when I was running a 2500k at 4.2ghz, so I'm in no rush.

Very happy to hear that the 1070's are a big jump over the 970, though.

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got my 1070 yesterday, upgraded from a 970. Running everything on ultra at a rock solid 60fps on my 1440p monitor is pretty sweet!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

Waiting for the evga's 1070's to hit the sub $400 US mark. I just upgraded to a 6700k which is running happily at 4.7ghz and slapped my old 970 in it. Things are smoother than when I was running a 2500k at 4.2ghz, so I'm in no rush.

Very happy to hear that the 1070's are a big jump over the 970, though.

The pricing on the 1070 seems a bit fishy to me right now, they are not low in stock so everything being around the FE price just seems like a bit of a kick in the teeth. I also hate how the higher tier cards pay more for the same cooler, why is a FE 1080 100$ more while a 1070 is 70$ and a 1060 like 50$? Seems just a TAD bit shady to me but whatever.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@ripelivejam: Go to intel and nvidia if you're doing an entirely new build. I have a similar setup to yours and while games run fine I do think for similar money I could have gotten way better performance if I had gone with Intel for the CPU and a proper Nvidia card.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bdead said:

@mirado: FXAA is not that shitty when used on higher resolutions (1440 or 4k). At these resolutions the blurring is minimal and you avoid textures shimmering (which i find way more distracting then a softer image). Even on a 1080 other AA settings at high rsolutions can murder performance whit little visual improvements in return.

Dsr is a great feature when you are stuck on a 1080p panel and are using a 1070 or 1080. You really should be looking to upgrade to a 1440p or 4k monitor when using these cards though. A 27 inch 1440p desktop monitor greatly improves a pc gaming experience IMO. If you want to go 4k you should be hooking up a larger screen still. If this is not an option for you you should stick to the 1060 or 480.

To me, framerate is the real gateway to a great experience, so if I'm going 1440p, it has to be a Gsync monitor as well, and that really reduces the pool of available candidates. The 1080 just doesn't have the grunt to run games at 4k @ a steady 60+ FPS, so that's out, and until they make cards that can, I feel like using DSR on a 1080p/1200p G-Sync to get you a 1440p @ 144FPS experience is a great, if slightly suboptimal, alternative. Then again, I'd also take a rock solid 60 FPS @ 1080/1200p vs a wobbly 30-50FPS @ 4k any day of the week.

(However, for me, IPS or IPS-like panels is also non-negotiable so I don't even have one of those. I've been eyeing the XB270HU, which seems to check all my boxes, but I haven't pulled the trigger.)

toshi0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got a 1080 reference card. Happy with it so far. My i5 4690 is creating a bottleneck though, which costs around 20FPS in Witcher 3 on ultra. "only" getting around 80fps

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JasonMasters

So what your saying is that if I am only on a 1080p monitor, I should get a 1070?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By colourful_hippie

So what your saying is that if I am only on a 1080p monitor, I should get a 1070?

Yes. A gtx 1080 makes more sense when you're gaming at 1440p and also makes it possible to play games at 4k on a single card at reduced settings.

I got a EVGA GTX 1080 FE (I know I should have waited but having money to burn and not caring about OC made me get one). I'm enjoying it a whole lot. I'm able to enjoy Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed at 1440p/60fps. A 1070 would have only handled the game at 30-40fps

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonmasters said:

Yes. A gtx 1080 makes more sense when you're gaming at 1440p and also makes it possible to play games at 4k on a single card at reduced settings.

I got a EVGA GTX 1080 FE (I know I should have waited but having money to burn and not caring about OC made me get one). I'm enjoying it a whole lot. I'm able to enjoy Rise of the Tomb Raider maxed at 1440p/60fps. A 1070 would have only handled the game at 30-40fps

The 1070 is overkill for 1080p in most games and can easily get you 60fps on Rise of the Tomb Raider with maxed settings on 1440p. If you're playing on 1080p you should only choose the 1070 over the 1060 if you want to future proof.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JasonMasters

Acknowledged. Good stuff. I've had a 780 for almost three years so it will still be a bit before I upgrade.

Thanks!

@aktivity said:
@colourful_hippie said:
@jasonmasters said:

The 1070 is overkill for 1080p in most games and can easily get you 60fps on Rise of the Tomb Raider with maxed settings on 1440p. If you're playing on 1080p you should only choose the 1070 over the 1060 if you want to future proof.

nycnewyork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nycnewyork

I have a 1070, and yes its overkill. I have a 1080 monitor, and nothing, and I mean nothing challenges it on ultra in terms of games.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I built a PC last week while I was on vacation and put a 1070 in it because I don't want to have to upgrade it any time soon. I've barely had time to use it for games, but it'll be nice to have a stable machine if I ever want to play anything new on PC. What I did play of Witcher 3 looked stupid good, though.

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ive recently bought a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G! Gaming Edition, upgraded from a burned out (literally) GTX 770 and it is great. At first I had some buyers remorse for spending $429 but I'm slowly coming around to it. I'm glad that it's going to be future proof for a few years.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kcin

@mackgyver said:

Ive recently bought a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G! Gaming Edition, upgraded from a burned out (literally) GTX 770 and it is great. At first I had some buyers remorse for spending $429 but I'm slowly coming around to it. I'm glad that it's going to be future proof for a few years.

Same experience for me. I had to stop playing Doom on the second-to-last level because my 7850 couldn't run any part of that level at a normal speed (Doom does a weird thing where it slows the whole game down, like in slow-mo, rather than chopping up like most games), and with the new card in the game runs at fucking like 90FPS on Ultra. It's so fast I can't fully process how well it's running; like I haven't accepted it runs this well. It's great!

The only problem I am having, though, is a pair of Koss PortaPro headphones now picks up an undulating background whine from one of the headphone jacks, which varies based on what is being rendered. It's weird and annoying. I haven't yet looked into what to do about it, but it sounds like it's related to how much power the card is pulling. All I know is it wasn't there before.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By OurSin_360

@mirado: i could be wrong but i think i read you cant run dsr and gsync together?

My 1080 is supposed to get here Friday, im a bit geeked and a bit remorseful lol

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By frustratedlnc
Loading Video...

Just kidding, it's okay.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By OurSin_360

@mirado: yup you're right looks like it was fixed a little while ago, my bad. I do remember when i looked it up last year sometime it wasnt working.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@oursin_360 said:

@mirado: yup you're right looks like it was fixed a little while ago, my bad. I do remember when i looked it up last year sometime it wasnt working.

Yeah, it works perfectly for me. GSync doesn't yet work with Vulkan, though, which is a bit of a bummer.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aktivity said:
@colourful_hippie said:
@jasonmasters said:

Not sure what your definition of maxed settings is but there are benchmarks out there of the 1070 not reaching 60 for the most part. You're totally right on the 1070 for future proofing hence why I recommend it for 1080p gaming in the long run.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#50  Edited By irrelevantjohn

I'm still waiting on my RX 480... It's been two weeks now and I'm hoping it will be available soon for them to ship.