Is this a good Rig?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for captainspider91
captainspider91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've recently decided I would like to switch over from consoles to PC and am looking to purchase my first rig. However, I am still learning the ropes and don't know a lot about PC's at this point. I found a used rig with this parts list:

Tower: Cooler Master HAF 922

Mother Board: Giganytr 970A-DS3

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600 Watt ATX 80 plus Bronze

CPU: AMD FX 6-Core Black Edition FX-6300

GPU: XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5

RAM: 8GB of G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1866

Storage: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 64GB SSD

Storage: Seagate 750GB 7200RPM

I am looking for a PC that is going to be able to run all of the upcoming next gen games. Will this be sufficient, and is it worth the asking price of $500-550? Thanks your help!

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

That depends. Do you know what kind of distances and how much weight it will be required to haul? I think if it was me, I would just go for the pre-built Kenworth W900. Its not worth the time building one yourself.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VERY WITTY ^^

Gerriam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Gerriam

I'd say it's an okay rig, albeit a bit on the older side. It should play most of the current games just fine, but there really is no telling as to whether or not it will run most of the upcoming games in the quality you'd like to.

What's really bothering me is the price. You're buying it used and it's not like the components, bought new, added up together would be way more expensive than the $500-550 asked for it...

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

The specs seem decent for that price, but I wouldn't go with a 64GB SSD, even if you have a larger, secondary drive. 128GB min, 256GB preferred. You could always upgrade the GPU later if games start to outpace it. Also depends on if you're planning on running games at 1080p or 4K.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I would say it's a.... BIG RIG!

Huh... huh...

Seriously, though, it seems like a middle of the road build. For the price range it seems fine, but no guarantees it will run new games all that well. If you don't mind a drop in quality, though, it will probably be fine.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OGJackWagon69

Thats pretty decent, I mean you'll be good for most games that are out right now, most of the true next gen stuff that will give things a run for there money like the witcher 3, isn't out yet, so there's no way of knowing what hardware configs are up to snuff, but if I had to guess I don't think you'll be able to max out a game like the witcher 3 at 60fps with that rig.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could probably do way better though if you built your own with at least $800ish budget and kept a watchful eye on sales from different sites.

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your processor won't do you any favours in the long run (AMD CPUs are inefficient compared to Intel), but it's decent enough for now, but I'd say it ain't gonna be keeping up with the pack for very long (assuming that's what you hope to do).

Pikachu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the $500 - $550 range yes. What you listed will out perform the current consoles. Assuming you wanted to do that or wondered.
Though if you want something that will last you a long time, you'll need to up that budget.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OurSin_360

Get a newer processor and a 3gb 7970.....I have a fx 8350 and a 3gb 7950 and i'm happy with what i have for now.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: that's the same thing I have, maxes out like every game

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

That's solid, especially for the price. When I built mine a couple of years back, those were just about the specs I had. It's probably worth your time to pick that up and invest in a newer graphics card. That way you'll have a stronger PC for the price of a mid-range custom-built one.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I don't know why you felt it was necessary to create a second thread about this, but I'm going to go ahead and lock this one.