It's a great time to be a PC player!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just love how much Steam has improved PC gaming. Everything is just right there in one convenient location. I bought a gtx 770 not too long ago and wow. All I can say is Metro: Last Light is the best looking game I have ever played.

Let's share our love for PC in this thread!

What graphics card do you have?

What is the best looking game you have played?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Its a pretty poopy time for me to play PC games. I need to build a new PC. Which aint gonna happen any time soon. Thank god for consoles!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

In a general sense, always.. but AFAIK, most AAA titles for a while now are ports from consoles which can lead to lots of problems on the PC front around releases. I'm new to PC gaming, but it seems like that's the attitude I've gathered from a lot of long-time PC players.

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I really love is the ability to have so many different controls on PC. Kb/M, any gamepad, flight sticks, track and rift for those that support it!

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC also has the largest library of games and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Junkboy

Just finally got KOTOR II on my PC thanks to the Humble Bundle so I'm pretty excited as the last time I tried to play it it is was a broken POS on the Xbox.

EVGA GTX 780.

Best looking? Having played BF3/4, Crysises :p , Metros and Witchers I can safely say Jet Gunner, Risk of Rain and Dungeon of the endless look the most awesome. From a more normal look I still think Bioshock Infinite's world is mesmerizing and beautiful, not since Crysis 1 have I been shocked and floor by such beauty.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Corevi
@junkboy0 said:

Just finally got KOTOR II on my PC thanks to the Humble Bundle so I'm pretty excited as the last time I tried to place is was a broken POS on the Xbox.

Before you play it you should get this fan patch. It adds back in a lot of the cut content that Kotor 2 felt disjointed and unfinished without.

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkboy0: The character design in Bioshock Infinite is just so off-putting to me. Great looking game otherwise though, sure.

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't get over how the PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradeable gaming platform, that among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods.

Not only that but we can get so many emulators to play all the great console games too.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

It's eff'n great. Thanks to a SSD my PC boots up faster than my Xbox, right into Steam Big picture. My x360 controller works great, and I have access to tons of cheap great games with Steam, Humble Bundle, etc.

Everything runs at 1080 / 60 on my TV. For some reason things download much faster on my PC than through Xbox live.

I actually haven't been playing many "AAA" big budget games, but Guild Wars 2 looks frikkin amazing.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By a_e_martin

It's also a good (if not great) time to be a successful, highly skilled, and up and coming jazz uphand woodblock fusion tennis nardracket carver and passive cardio-flatulent fluxologist in the name and vein of our holy nexo-spirit. Amen.

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are some good emulators for the Wii and Gamecube?

I want to play those games in high resolution!

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nags:

I have 2x GTX 770s in SLI mode and an i7-4790k turbo at 4.4ghz.

But as far as the best looking game i ever played... probably the Witcher 2. If fact, it's the game that got me into pc gaming. It still looks amazing almost four years after release. For years before that I was sony fan boy. I literally will not play a console game again, ever. I have become so spoiled with 60+ frame rates that 30 fps feels completely unplayable now.

Also, Metro last light is amazing looking, and I find a particular fondness of far cry 3/4 visuals.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think there is a good chance this generation will be the end of the traditional console. I can completely see the future being mobile and non-mobile gaming and that the non-mobile one will be PC.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: Thank you kind sir, I kinda wish it had native control support but I'll figure something out with xpadder.

@nags I kinda agree with the characters but the world man! it's gorgeous!

spitz1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the stock market seems to agree. http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/11/us-nvidia-results-idUSKBN0LF2I720150211

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ds9143: Yup. The largest library of games and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities. Love it! :D

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Justin258

So this is what group masturbation looks like.

EDIT: For the record, I also have a PC and PC gaming is, in fact, pretty great.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pcorb

@hurricaneivan29: That was true ten, or even five years ago. Not so much now. PC ports of traditionally console based games used to be, for the most part, broken, poorly optimised, overall low effort affairs, but that seems to have peaked around the mid to late 00s. Steam has done a lot to prove to publishers that the PC is a viable platform if you put the effort into it. Sure a lot of PC games in recent memory have been broken at launch and sometimes for a while beyond that, but nowadays when that's the case, the console versions also tend to be a mess. Hooray for progress! (I think?)

Also, the fact that the new consoles are far more like PCs than their predecessors seems to bode well for the future. Dark Souls 2, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Far Cry 4 all had the PC as a lead platform for development, for example. You just weren't seeing that not so long ago.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@nags said:

What I really love is the ability to have so many different controls on PC. Kb/M, any gamepad, flight sticks, track and rift for those that support it!

Not only that, you can make your own controller with an Arduino or a Makey Makey!

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha, good to hear your enjoying it bud!

Funnily enough, I picked up Red Orchestra 2 in the Steam sale and - despite the fact the graphics are not at all the main attraction of this game - it's awesome. It won't come to consoles. It would not work on consoles and it is THAT that I love so much about the PC. It can do all the games consoles can, but it extends that extra level encompassing a massive selection of games.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

That's why I built one in November. i5-4690k, GTX 970 and 8GB of RAM. I haven't gone the distance and put in an SSD yet, but that'll come. The ability to use any controller and run *everything* at 1080p/60FPS on high-ultra is a godsend. I'm using a wireless receiver and 360 controllers for the most part; doesn't even feel like I'm not on a console.

Also, follow /r/gamedeals and never pay full price for a game again. I saw The Witcher 3 on sale for 32USD, and it's not even out yet!

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, yes.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#29  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'd probably put GOG rather than Steam as the reason PC gaming is at a better point now than it's been in quite a while. Steam doesn't have a great track record when it comes to consumer rights, and Steam has inspired EA, Ubisoft and others to create competitive platforms with focus on locking up games behind online authentication and logins (one of the worst trends in a long while).

GOG on the other hand are showing that it's possible to make money by releasing new games without any anti-consumer practices, and that gamers are entirely willing to pay for DRM-free games despite being able to download them illegally elsewhere. Apart from the DRM free new titles, they also make sure the history of PC gaming isn't getting lost, by re-releasing classics in packages that run on modern systems. I'd rather see the future on PC gaming following GOG's lead than continuing on the Valve set path.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'd say that's probably been true since at least 2009. Isn't that around the time of the first Steam sales? But, yeah, it's only getting better. Even back as far as 2004 I would say it hasn't been bad to be a PC gamer.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The sales, man, the sales.. Best part. I built in late october and the winter holidays were my first big steal sale season... Dear lord, I couldn't control myself!!!