Just got my first PC and I have no games. What should I get to run it through it's paces?

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I feel like I just got my driver's license and someone sold me a bugatti. I lucked out on this build for $800 yesterday. A friend just built it a month ago, but life is life, and needed cash, so he sold it to me. Did a fresh install, and am good to go, but I have no games, and I'd like to really test it out. What do you recommend?

Specs:

i7 4790k

GTX 1080 Founders

3TB hard drive (with 3 extra slots)

32Gb of ram

Liquid cooled

Alienware aurora

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BallsLeon

Fallout 4 + console commands. Generate as much exploding crap on the screen as you can.

Also, Devil Daggers... not to put the computer through it's paces but to put YOU through the paces.

EDIT: Completely forgot about GTA5, gorgeous game. You can also add mods to try to push your PC to its upper limits.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Your just looking for eyecandy to test it out? I'd say Crysis 3 is still one of the best looking games and a perfermance hog on most systems. Rise of Tombraider is a good looking game, i can't 100% max it out at 1440p. Witcher 3 is still one of the best looking games at all time, especially at 1440p and above. If your rocking a 1080p monitor then i'll suggest DSR at atleast 1440p or a little higher.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Doom looks and plays great, but if you really want to take the Herculean new PC test then get Rise of the Tomb Raider. Game is known to really put pc's through their paces and it doesn't hurt that not only does it look gorgeous but is a ton of fun to play.

emumford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM would be a perfect fit for breaking in a new rig. Show off the beauty of that game on the ultra settings at 150+ FPS.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Sdoots

Doom is fucking great, and can look incredible.

MechWarrior Online is free, and can also push out some pretty nice looking visuals, as it uses the Crytek engine. I forget which version.

There are some parts of the newest Unreal Tournament that are more finished than others. Depending on what map you end up on, you can really appreciate a good rig. That's also free, as long as you are willing to make an account and download the Epic Games Launcher.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom and Witcher 3.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By hassun

@hmoney001 said:

Doom and Witcher 3.

Seconding this (aside from the incorrect spelling of DOOM).

The Witcher 3 will show off the graphics, DOOM will show the blistering performance. GTAV will still treat you well in terms of the scale of the urban sprawl. Dying Light is another open world game which should look great. Maybe Assetto Corsa if you want to drive. The most recent 2 Tomb Raider games will be good for third person action type stuff. Maybe Alien Isolation for Horror.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:
@hmoney001 said:

Doom and Witcher 3.

Seconding this (aside from the incorrect spelling of DOOM).

Agreed. Though Rise of the Tomb Raider also sounds like a great game to test a new machine.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CS 1.6

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

I would tell you to buy Skyrim and go mad with mods, especially ENBs but as it's your first PC that'd be a frustrating initial assignment.

In terms of GPU-pushing eye candy, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Witcher 3 are hard to beat, as well as being great games to actually play.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

wow you got a deal, graphics card alone is almost all of that value.

I'll also say Doom and Witcher 3 if you want some eye candy.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By baka_shinji17

Crysis and Doom 3.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By chu52

New: Doom

Newish: Witcher 3

Oldish:Sleeping Dawgs

Oldish and fun: Skyrim +MOOOOOODS

yurimegumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 on max seems like the way to go, get that sick HairWorx tech up and running.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Doom
  • Witcher 3
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • GTA V
betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many people have mentioned the Witcher 3 and I cant agree more.

If you haven't played it yet, you owe it to yourself and to your machine to allow this glorious game on your hard drive.

Also, dare I say, Mad Max?

I just got it on Steam Sale for $17 and that game looks real nice too.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am definitely in the minority, but if your going strictly for graphics doom 3 isnt much of a looker imo. Runs great though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@oursin_360: Well you know Doom 3 was pretty good looking at the time.

Now DooM 2016? That game looks nice. It's not a "take a screenshot and drink in the detail" type of nice though. DooM looks great in motion because it's a smooth 60 and theres a ton of stuff happening on screen. Plus, just like with Rise of the Tomb Raider, you get the added benefit of it being a kick ass game.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gundogan

@hassun: I would pick Forza Apex over Assetto Corsa. Not that it is the better game, but it's definitely the better looking and more taxing on the system one. And it's free!

DOOM (well, not really a system melter, but you can marvel at it's technical performance and optimization), Witcher 3, GTA V, a Frostbite game of your choice and the Division are probably the most recent system 'melters' I guess. The Crysis games still look good and require a decent PC (mostly because they are badly optimized).

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I prefer the old standbys of Solitaire and Minesweeper. If those run okay, the next logical check is Crysis.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By soulcake

Original Crysis. Also Metro last light in 4K makes every system chug.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OurSin_360

@humanity: ha i meant new doom, never even played doom 3. Whoops

Its definitely a good feeling game and not ugly at all but not one of those games you get a new card to admire your new shiny graphics lol.

Also to add to the list i think assassins creed syndicate on pc is one of the best looking games as well, especially with some mods. Kinda boring though but looks pretty.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I put my vote for Rise of the Tomb Raider. I've not played it but Tomb Raider 2013 already looks awesome to me and the new one must look a lot better.

Dragon Age Inquisition is IMO a nice looking game at ultra settings.

I've not played it but Shadow of Mordor is supposed to look great if you have the VRAM to max it and with 8GB you have more than enough.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By frytup

@dagas said:

I've not played it but Shadow of Mordor is supposed to look great if you have the VRAM to max it and with 8GB you have more than enough.

First thing I did when I got my 1070 was install the ultra textures pack. Bit underwhelming, honestly, but worth doing if you already own the game.

Witcher 3, on the other hand, made me shed a tiny tear of joy on ultra at 60FPS.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FacelessVixen

Dragon's Dogma, because I sometimes forget that it came to PC this year. And also Fallout 4 with several mods from NexusMods, the Fallout 4 script extender which is needed for certain mods, and an ENB to make the game look better.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

METRO LAST LIGHT

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake: But it's so worth it. I remember getting kind of freaked out by how good that game looked when I had it running at full speed, especially outdoors.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metro Last Light

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By rethla

Witcher 3 and especially the newest DLC Blood and Wine. Best looking game sofar on any platform.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If you really have no PC games, Humble Bundles are a great way to build up a collection in no time (and not much money). But be warned that you'll have amassed a massive backlog before you know it.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@frytup said:
@dagas said:

First thing I did when I got my 1070 was install the ultra textures pack. Bit underwhelming, honestly, but worth doing if you already own the game.

Witcher 3, on the other hand, made me shed a tiny tear of joy on ultra at 60FPS.

Yeah. I just picked up a machine with a 1070 and tried Witcher 3 again. Wow. GTA5 looks amazing as well.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rise of the Tomb Raider and GTA5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice rig! All of the above suggestions are pretty great. If you are into driving games Project cars is about as good looking as they get. Racing in rainy conditions will give your system a decent workout.

OtterChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go spacey with Rebel Galaxy which has great visuals and great sound on top of that.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By cornbredx

There isn't really a game that does that anymore if you have a modern PC of even mid tier (which you have above that). Just buy what you want to play. It'll most likely look amazing if you know what options are important to turn on or off.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But can it run Crysis? No, really, it's a great game if it can.

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam?

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid V and Battlefront. MGS is amazing to play and watch. Battlefront gets old quick but looks fantastic.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deepcovergecko

Your friend is insane, he could have got like 1600 for that

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wow, that is a REALLY good deal for that config. Almost too good, like maybe if you consider this guy a close friend, throw him some extra money back someday! :)

A generic rig like that could easily cost $1500, and Alienware probably priced it at $3000!

If you're looking to benchmark, compare, or stability test... the free version of 3DMark is pretty decent (on Steam). It's not a good indicator of "real" gaming performance, but it's great for comparing your results (in detail) to others with similar configs to make sure yours is performing as it should in each individual area and overall. It's also pretty good for extended stress testing for stability or if you're overclocking (and you should be with that rig, the CPU and GPU could easily be bumped up by a good amount [10-20%] with no stability issues). Don't pay for 3Dmark though, the demo is fine and paying for it has never been worthwhile because so few people do, that the "paid" tests have little to no results to compare yours with.