Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BleedingStarX
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Recently Ive been getting blue screens on my laptop every couple of days.

It blue screens, resets and displays the screen shown on the link to my tweet

Some times it happens multiple times a hour, sometimes it happens after hours of use and others it doesnt happen at all. I've tried running Memory checks and disk checks but they all come up fine.

Thinking I need to completely restore it but not sure its going to help as someone in work suggested it would be caused by the warm weather we've had recently and thats causing the graphics card to over heat.

Any advice?

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

This blue screen could be caused by many things. You may have a loose connection between your SATA or mSATA hard drive and the motherboard. I've seen this happen on many laptops I've services over the years. Usually reseating the hard drive fixes the issue. Sometimes the motherboard is the issue and has to be replaced. You also may have bad sectors on your hard drive.

I would first back up anything important on your hard drive. Then try reseating it to the motherboard (just take the hard drive out and then place it back in firmly). Run a hard drive diagnostics check after that. If it comes up with errors, then you will likely have to replace the hard drive.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2468903/check-cable-connection-pxe-mof-exiting-intel-pxe-rom.html

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

Looks like a hard drive problem, either in the connection, something is corrupted, or the disk is dying. Since you said this only happens periodically, I'm leaning toward a physical problem. Make sure you back up your important data soon.

What I would do is open up the laptop and check the physical drive connections to make sure they were secure. Check your boot order and make sure your BIOS is looking at the hard drive for an OS. If that doesn't work, I would format and reinstall Windows. If that didn't work, I would replace the HDD.

Landmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some questions: Is this a Dell laptop? Is it a legit copy of windows? If so, which version?

The second screen shot shows the hard drive fell out of the boot order, check your physical connections. The BSOD is a kernel page error. If you can get the OS to boot (you may have to enter safe mode, hit f8 while booting) open command prompt as an administrator (right click, run as admin) and run the command: sfc /scannow -this will check system files for corruption. Since you've already run mem diag and disk error check along with sfc and checking physical connections (run a virus scan as well with something like the free version of malwarebytes), if everything comes back clean I'd lean towards a failing HD or bad SSD firmware if you're running with an SSD. Let us know your results.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Check the dump file and then link the info somewhere. Most of the times you can get a good read of what's causing the bsod by reading the dump.

Second screen is because it's not finding the drive where your o.s is located. Could be an issue where you have to reconfigure the boot ordering of your device or you could very well have a hdd that's no longer being detected due to the connection or the hdd could very well be dead. Go into your bios and double check the hdd that currently has the os installed is being detected correctly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Possible cable connection issue but if it only happens every couple days, that may not be the problem. How old is your laptop? It looks like it's at least 4 to 5 years old. What laptop is it, Lenovo, Dell, Mac, etc. Is it an SSD or HDD? Most likely when stuff like this starts popping up, your hard drive is going to crash. Move everything off to another drive or online ASAP. If you don't, you're going to have to strip your laptop get the hard drive and use a sata to USB connector to get as much off as you can.

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BleedingStarX

Laptop is around 5 years old, its a Samsung L650D I believe, its running Windows 7 which is a legit version of Home Premium. Its not an SSD.

The second screen ALWAYS follows the blue screen. The boot order has the HDD first.

Not super compter savvy when it comes to parts and stuff. Is the best option to back up my stuff and replace the hard-drive?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Are you sure it's Samsung? L650D online looks like Toshiba.

If it is, an L650D, it's not an uncommon problem.

You can try moving everything off, re-seating and then reformatting the drive. It may or may not work. I would also flash the bios just in case. If you need to replace the drive, it should be pretty easy on those older laptops and a new decently sized laptop hdd will be pretty cheap, maybe $50 or $60. If all else fails and you don't feel like dealing with all of that, new and really good laptops can be had for between $500 and $700 if you can afford it. The system specs are looking a little rough but if you can't afford it, do the hard drive replacement. I would get the new HDD through Amazon if you're going that route because if it's still a problem after the drive replacement, you can easily return it.

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a toshiba yeah, my bad. I'll look inti the hard drive, i can get them from work for like £5

What does flash the bios mean though?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@bleedingstarx: If you don't even know what that means...don't even go down that road. You can end up making things far worse.

Just stick to the simple stuff for now and then go from there if a new HDD doesn't work.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bleedingstarx: Like @mb has said, I'd stick to just replacing the hard drive after backing up any important files first. That's a good place to start, and will likely solve your issue. Make sure the new hard drive is seated firmly into the slot it goes into. Reinstall Windows 7 on the new hard drive, using your license key on the laptop, and then let us know if the problem persists. You will also likely have to install drivers for your Ethernet and WiFi adapters if they don't come through with the Windows 7 install. Just go to the Toshiba site and enter in the service tag for your laptop to get those drivers.

Here's a guide showing how to get to the hard drive in your laptop (just follow up to step 4 and don't worry about taking off the RAM cover). It's real easy.