Looking for a good gaming mouse.

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for theegravedigger
TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TheeGravedigger

Can anyone recommend a good gaming mouse?

I've been using an ancient trackball, before that I was mostly gaming on laptops.

I've been told by some people that wired gives better response time, and by others that wireless is better because of the lack of lag.

The trackball made sense when I was mostly couch gaming, but now that I've got a side table, I think a real mouse would be a better choice.

Oh, and I should mention, I want a minimum of 4 buttons, but I could use as many as 6 for the games I currently play.

And a scrollwheel would be nice.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TyCobb

Logitech G500

Love this mouse. Been using it for a few years. It comes with a weight cartridge so you can easily make it so it feels just right to you. You can toggle the mouse wheel to either click or smooth scroll which I like. Also if you install the software you can customize what DPI the mouse uses when you trigger one of the 3 settings.

I wouldn't worry too much about wired vs wireless.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmilingPig
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really like my Logitech G400.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThePaleKing

Check out the Steel Series mice. I usually make fun of all the gaming mice stuff since it just gets so ridiculous at times, but I really like the austere look of their gear; similar to the DAS series of keyboards. The macro software is some of the best.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ajamafalous

Logitech G400

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Cramsy
No Caption Provided

Logitech G9

ImaTreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ImaTreee

razer deathadder

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheeGravedigger

Looking at the steel series, the 11 button MMO mouse seems decent. Anyone have any experience with it?

kilikafinal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kilikafinal

Razer Orochi. has 4 additional programmable buttons along with the standard 3 a typical mouse has. also has the ability to go wired or wireless(easy to switch between the modes)

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheeGravedigger

I'm liking the Orochi and the Naga.

The Orochi for the ability to switch from wired to wireless.

The Naga for the pile of extra buttons, which seem like they could be handy.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TyCobb

It could just be me, but the Razer products feel extremely cheap when I use them.

Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Amducious

I'm using a Sharkoon Fireglider (Black) which has served me very well these last few months.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By lead_farmer

@ImaTreee said:

razer deathadder

Pretty happy with mine

yeahimjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By yeahimjordan

I use a naga epic when I play WoW, and the g500 for everything else

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By AssInAss
@TyCobb

Logitech G500

Love this mouse. Been using it for a few years. It comes with a weight cartridge so you can easily make it so it feels just right to you. You can toggle the mouse wheel to either click or smooth scroll which I like. Also if you install the software you can customize what DPI the mouse uses when you trigger one of the 3 settings.

Pretty much.
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Hizang

Can somebody explain to me why a gaming mouse is better than a default mouse that comes with your PC/Mac?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By fattony12000

My DeathAdder 3.5g has been fine for the past year or so.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TyCobb

@Hizang said:

Can somebody explain to me why a gaming mouse is better than a default mouse that comes with your PC/Mac?

Precision is a lot better, more buttons, customization (weight, looks, etc.). Also durability. A gaming mouse is unlikely to break when it is slammed down in a burst of rage. I had an MX510 last me for years before it finally said "no more!". Also most stock mice just suck. It's the same with keyboards. Some stock keyboards work decently, but some just plain suck.

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheeGravedigger

@Hizang: Well, I'm using a logitech trackman that's about a decade old. I was tight on budget when I was putting together this rig, so I scavenged it. I'm intending to use the new mouse for gaming, so I'm asking for gamer recommendations.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Sooty

@Hizang said:

It's not about if it's a gaming mouse or not, just a decent mouse. In truth most gaming mice are over the top with DPI you never will actually need.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SomeJerk

Most gaming mice are regular computer/office $15 pieces of crap with a DPI switch and fancy aesthetics, as are most sub-$150 headphones and headsets.

But when you do find a good wired model that's good for gaming and worth the money, it's probably a Logitech. I swear by the tiltable scrollwheel and the brake you can disengage on it. Superb drivers for the GX00 series too, now. Lets me play games with improper mouse movement scaling no problem, storing that memory on the mouse itself.

Just avoid their headsets if they're still up to the same standard as up to three years ago.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By selbie

I recently bought a Mionix Naos 5000 as it is one of the few mice on the market that has good ergonomic design.

Pinkie fingers need some lovin' too!

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PillClinton

@ImaTreee said:

razer deathadder

+1. Really like my Deathadder. It's really well ergonomically designed, and quite large--great if you have giant troll hands like me. I just can't stand using tiny mice. I need something that fills my palm nicely.

@TyCobb said:

It could just be me, but the Razer products feel extremely cheap when I use them.

I'd argue that with the exception of a few great mice, most Razer products are pretty cheap and crappy.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Philantrophy

What is the consensus about thermaltake products? Because I really like the design of their still unreleased Level 10 M mouse.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By nintendoeats

@TyCobb said:

It's not, I've had a few mice and a controller made by them. None of them was very sturdy.

Right now I'm using a R.A.T. 7 that I got used. You probably won't find one for a reasonable price, but if you do man this thing is awesome.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By splodge  Online

@Hizang said:

The difference really is huge. I use a crappy standard mouse when I am at home, but when I go to my mates to play LoL I use his spare Razer Copperhead. The difference is pretty severe. Quicker response time, I can move the mouse faster. I dont know why these things happen, but it's definitely a more pleasurable experience.

No Caption Provided
zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By zaccheus

I've been very happy with the R.A.T. 7. Works well on my Mac and of course in Bootcamp. Tested video and review.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jrinswand

I don't know if anybody has already mentioned this one, but the Logitech G500 is a god among mice, just like the G5 before it. It looks like they're on discount at Amazon right now, too.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EVO

@TyCobb said:

@Hizang said:

Precision is a lot better, more buttons, customization (weight, looks, etc.). Also durability. A gaming mouse is unlikely to break when it is slammed down in a burst of rage. I had an MX510 last me for years before it finally said "no more!". Also most stock mice just suck. It's the same with keyboards. Some stock keyboards work decently, but some just plain suck.

Don't forget comfort. I use an Apple Magic mouse and playing games with it is painful.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By predator

Intellimouse 1.1 or 3.0.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Andorski

Another vote for Deathadder. I'm not some 1337 PC gamer, but I can definitely tell the difference in accuracy and feel when compared to even other great (albeit wireless) mouse like my Logitech Performance MX.

brandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By brandino

@predator said:

Intellimouse 1.1 or 3.0.

This. Been using the 3.0 since 2001, luckily i was able to buy them at COMP USA when they were discontinued years and years ago, they had them in 5 packs and i still have 4 of those never used. in 11 years i have only had to replace it ONCE. I don't know if the 3.0 is different now then it was (when they brought them back from popular demand) but it's by far the most comfortable and reliable mouse IMO.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SSully

@TyCobb said:

Logitech G500

This. I have been using this for about 3 years now and it still works flawlessly. It is very precise, its nice being able to change the DPI on the fly, and the scroll wheel is fantastic. If this mouse ever breaks I am just going to buy a new one, no questions asked.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ItBeStefYo
krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By krazy_kyle
No Caption Provided
bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By bushpusherr

@predator said:

Intellimouse 1.1 or 3.0.

@Brandino said:

@predator said:

Intellimouse 1.1 or 3.0.

This. Been using the 3.0 since 2001, luckily i was able to buy them at COMP USA when they were discontinued years and years ago, they had them in 5 packs and i still have 4 of those never used. in 11 years i have only had to replace it ONCE. I don't know if the 3.0 is different now then it was (when they brought them back from popular demand) but it's by far the most comfortable and reliable mouse IMO.

Microsoft Intellimouse is incredible. I've had mine for about 8 years, and it still works like a dream. Super simple, inexpensive, and comfortable. No need for all the flash.

No Caption Provided
brandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By brandino

@bushpusherr said:

@predator said:

Intellimouse 1.1 or 3.0.

@Brandino said:

@predator said:

Intellimouse 1.1 or 3.0.

Microsoft Intellimouse is incredible. I've had mine for about 8 years, and it still works like a dream. Super simple, inexpensive, and comfortable. No need for all the flash.

No Caption Provided

My theory on why they discontinued them many years ago was because these things just won't die and that it was cutting into sales because of the fact these things are invincible. Did they discontinue them again? Newegg says they are and no other retail store seems to be selling them and the amazon ones are all third party sellers.

It's a conspiracy man.. They won't die so they keep taking them off the market!

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AiurFlux

I've used a G500 and DeathAdder in the past. They're great mice. My personal mouse is a Mionix Naos 5000. I don't care about the gimmick shit that they add in the simple fact is that it is hands down the most comfortable and ergonomic mouse I have ever used in my life. I don't even feel like I'm holding anything when I use it.

My advice, go for something comfortable. Everything has the high DPI or the adjustable weights or custom macro settings, but how it feels is the most important thing. If you're using it for a few hours a session and then using it for internet use and everything else that's really the main deal.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Video_Game_King
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mnzy
Razer Deathadder Black Edition
Razer Deathadder Black Edition

Bought it a couple months back, my first Razer and the best mouse I had so far.

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheeGravedigger

There's a decent computer shop around the corner, I'll pop in there when they're open on Monday and see if they'll let me try the mice they've got in stock.

I do have giant hands, so the sharkoon seems like it has possibilities.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By handlas

I briefly had a Cyborg R.A.T before my dog chewed the cord in half. I mainly got it because the Tested guys seemed to like it a lot. And I would agree with them... it was quite nice. I'm not a huge fan of how it looks but it felt really great in ur palm and the weight adjustment was great. I liked it with none of the extra weight and it still felt pretty sturdy.

The corded version was also nice because it had sort of a braided cord. I think it does have a couple of extra buttons.

No Caption Provided
Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Socialone

Explorer Mini Mouse by Microsoft. I've been gaming with it for 4 years without any problem --looks good, 4 buttons, good quality mouse wheel, portable, solid tracking technology. It eats through AA batteries though, I have to put a new one every month or so. Anyway, for 25$ (see here) I think it's your best bet.

EDIT: As a college student I might be biased because not looking too dorky in class definitely is a criteria for me.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AlexW00d

@TheeGravedigger said:

There's a decent computer shop around the corner, I'll pop in there when they're open on Monday and see if they'll let me try the mice they've got in stock.

I do have giant hands, so the sharkoon seems like it has possibilities.

I used to have a fireglider and it's an odd shape, so I dunno if the big hands thing makes a difference. It's not particularly ergonomic, which is why I bought a Logitech G500 instead. Thing fits in my hand wonderfully.

Also if you're an American I don't think you'll be able to find the Fireglider. Sharkoon are a German (I think) company so US retailers don't seem to want to stock them.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bybeach

Razor DeathAdder.

I've gotten to dislike Logitech products..hate to say it but my G19 keyboard is a fail

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By justicejanitor

+1 for the Razer Deathadder. I've used one for around two years, until it died on me. Before that, it was probably the best mouse I've used. I'm currently using a Steelseries Ikari. I like it quite a bit but I think I liked the Deathadder more.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

G9x is great for claw and high dpi. The G500 is probably more of a paml/low dpi mouse. The Cyborg if you find trouble getting a good fit with other mice.

@TyCobb said:

Yup. Never been a fan.

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hadoken101

My brother recently got me a Razer Naga Hex and I've been enjoying it so far.

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheeGravedigger

I'm mildly amused that this topic has been moved twice by the moderators.

: how easy is it to use the 12 buttons for hotkeys without getting confused?