I’m looking to get a gaming PC after years as a console gamer, and a Giant Bomb thread said you folks are basically the way to go. Basically, I want my own Steam Box if you will, but I’d like it to do a bit more (will occasionally be used as a legit PC, thus Windows). I’m not going to build my own (no time, don’t trust myself), and while I used to be tech savvy, I’m now only kind of tech savvy, so I’m looking for some help/advice. Some quick points (and let me know if I’m missing anything).
· I will be putting this in my living room and hooking up to a TV (1080p) via HDMI through an Onkyo receiver.
- · I understand a keyboard/mouse combo is often necessary, but I prefer to use a controller when I can (I believe this is easy/relatively easy with an XBOX controller).
- · I’m not a hardcore action FPS guy. I’m more likely to play Gone Home or The Stanley Parable or Amnesia or Shadowrun than the new Crysis. That said, playing Skyrim on some high setting certainly appeals to me and I’m sure there will be new, very big games that I will want to play at high graphic settings (a new Fallout for example).
- · I would like to use this for Netflix and other streaming. I’d love to do it at 1080p with 5.1 sound. Movies are as important as games, so I’d like the machine to be as quiet as possible.
- · I’m sure we will occasionally use it to surf the web or look at facebook or youtube or something, not that it matters since we are going to game on the thing.
- · Form factor is not a huge deal. I can put it next to the TV stand if necessary. I’d like it to be as unnoticeable as possible. No neon or flames are necessary.
- · I’d like to keep it around $1K , but can spend up to $1,500 for future proofing/if it’s worth it.