Monitor buying suggestions?

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Penderton

Not sure about my GPU but 100% need a new monitor. I can't do 4k right now but do plan on upgrading. Not sure if I should future proof it or stick to 1080p.

This thing was a mess from day 1. It had a dead pixel and I couldn't take it back because the store only had a 2 week return policy which is how long it took for my PC to arrive. (didn't shop there again) Samsung refused to fix it because the dead pixel wasn't in the center. Then it started turning itself off, sent in 3 times, sent back 3 times claiming no problem. So no suggestions from Samsung or Sony.

pedanticjase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By pedanticjase

Get a LG 34" widescreen

LG 34"

It's ultra widescreen so like 21:9. It's bananas I've also had a BenQ panel that was pretty good too but seriously ultra widescreen 2500x1000 resolution is surprisingly well supported.

Check out that field of view!

Screengrab of me playing payday2 on the monitor

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Humanity

Make sure you have the space for a large monitor. If you have a small desk and get a huge monitor you'll have to physically move your head left to right in order to read websites unless you move away from the screen.

Midjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What are you planning on playing? Can you go to a local store and try out a 144hz monitor? I got to play CS on a friend's 144hz monitor a week ago and it was truly night and day. I don't know if you've got any way of trying it out but please do. It really is awesome.

Kubertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a Eizo 24'(900€ 7 years old) and a Benq 24' (350€ one year old) and sadly the colors on the benq are shit, although the 120 hz thing is pretty neat.

Basically it depends on what you wan't to do :

gaming that needs a mouse : Buy a nice 24' or larger, depends on whether you want so sit so close in front of a larger screen.

Gaming with a controler: Hook it up to a tv. I have recently hooked up my pc to my 50' Sony Bravia (650 €) and its awesome.

Cloudunderfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just picked up a few of these, they're pretty decent and have a nice colorspace profile after some calibration. Almost as good as my apple cinema display and at a fraction of the price.

Mad Decent Monitors

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

watch out for the hz gimmicks. most humans cant tell the difference over 80hz. 120 is like the standard but now its higher for some reason. just like 1080p was the standard hd and now its 4k. dont over spend. there are so many affordable options that dont have a window sticker with a hundred gimmicks on it.

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I recently bought one of those 2560x1440 Korean monitors off eBay for dirt cheap (compared to name brands of the same res). I would recommend checking out this thread for more details.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@matt said:

I recently bought one of those 2560x1440 Korean monitors off eBay for dirt cheap (compared to name brands of the same res). I would recommend checking out this thread for more details.

I've got the same monitor - The QNIX QX2710. I got mine on Amazon for around $350, they're a little cheaper now. Pretty much the go-to monitor right now at the enthusiast level of PC gaming.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

watch out for the hz gimmicks. most humans cant tell the difference over 80hz.

Do you have a source for this? Because 80 vs 120 vs 144 is plain as day to me.

solidwolf52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Last month I bought one of those 27 Inch Dell IPSs that WireCutter is recommending. It wasn't cheap but I have no regrets. Looks great and has a high build quality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: well to be honest i used to read up on it and there are conflicting accounts. but it seems like most things, everyone is different. but for me and at least my circle of friends, while we may be able to see a difference after 80hz, we cant see a difference past 120hz. while it may not be a gimmick to everyone, i just see it as another reason to needlessly jack up prices on displays for these increasingly minor enhancements

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billymagnum: but you just said two different things...did you mean that most humans can't tell the difference past 120hz?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last month I bought one of those 27 Inch Dell IPSs that WireCutter is recommending. It wasn't cheap but I have no regrets. Looks great and has a high build quality.

Yeah I was initially looking at the 24" that they recommend but decided to get the newer version the U2414H, it has more modern inputs and can function as a usb hub so I only have one usb cable going to my computer with the others nicely organised behind the monitor. The colour reproduction is amazing and I can stare at if for hours without hurting my eyes. Plus it was $80 off when I got it!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I refuse to buy anything but Dell UltraSharps at this point. I would highly recommend the U2713HM if you want to go past 1920x1080 and don't want to break the bank. I have one. It's a wonderful monitor. I also have a U2412M and a U2312HM (the latter is discontinued now) and both are also amazing. We've never had issues with any of our Dells. We have a 9 year old Dell 19" 5:4 LCD that is still working perfectly fine (I use it daily still).

My dad buys hardware for his work and he also will only buy Dell. They tried Samsung and had a ton of failures within 2 years. I've had a Samsung fail. I've also had an Acer fail on me as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: ive gone and confused myself

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Devildoll

@mb: well to be honest i used to read up on it and there are conflicting accounts. but it seems like most things, everyone is different. but for me and at least my circle of friends, while we may be able to see a difference after 80hz, we cant see a difference past 120hz. while it may not be a gimmick to everyone, i just see it as another reason to needlessly jack up prices on displays for these increasingly minor enhancements

well what have you used to try and see past 120 hz?

A tv with "800 Hz YO!" functionallity?

or a gaming monitor with 144 hz?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mike

@devildoll: The latter - spent quite a bit of time with a couple of different 120hz & 144hz monitors from BenQ and Asus. I can see a difference between 120 & 144, but of course it's not nearly as noticeable as going from 60 to 120.

Luxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1440p baby! Shit just look so much crisper, and the need for AA is reduced. I have an Asus PB278Q myself though i wouldn't recommend it compared to other monitors on the market, it suffers to much from light bleed imo. But get a 1440p monitor man, it's so worth it

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By amafi

I'd recommend Dells as well. Ergonomics are great, menus are good, colour profiles are good, they're matte so you don't get a ton of glare, etc.
I've not had a chance to check out any of the cheaper korean 1440p ones yet myself, but I keep hearing good things, so that might be worth looking into as well.

Good ergonomics is worth paying extra for though, if you're planning on spending a fair amount of time in front of the thing.

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Penderton

Thanks for the suggestions, but the Dells are out...$150-$300 more in Canada. Would be cheaper to buy a 40"-50" TV.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the suggestions, but the Dells are out...$150-$300 more in Canada. Would be cheaper to buy a 40"-50" TV.

Watch their site. They have tons of sales. I got my U2713 for 40% off and my U24 for around there also. Paying full price for Dell is something you should never do. They always will put something on sale eventually.

Penderton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad part, there IS a sale right now.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Gaming_Accessories/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&sku=210-ACPU

That's the only one that appears to be equal to (and actually $5 cheaper than) its American counterpart.

Deckard42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dell all the way.

Dell makes great monitors but they're pricey. I'm currently using a 2560x1440 27" Asus PB278Q and it's fantastic.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make sure it's 16:10 That is all.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

1024 x 768 at 60 Hz is all you neeeed baaaabbbbyyyy

CropHacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I m cheering for the new Asus ASUS VS278Q, it has a small bleeding, but a good IPS panel with GtG response of 1ms is a nice deal!

gian390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gian390

Hi all. I'm newbie here. I want to buy a big screen monitor, could you please help me to find? and I have also a problem about my boats, and I need to look for a better Marine Contractors. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By doerr007

I also have a Korean 1440p monitor its amazing.