Monitor Suggestions 120 Hz or 1440p

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

As of right now this is looking like my prime candidate to replace my current "monitor" (playstation display) but I always hear people talking up 120 hz monitors because of the even higher framerate and better responsiveness in general. So I've been looking for 120 hz monitors that are around the same price range of the 1440p one that I've been looking at and so far the options look grim.

So my question is should I stick with that 1440p monitor I have linked above or am I really missing out by not looking more into higher refresh monitors?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't think you would really benefit from either if you're just using it as a playstation display. Well, movies would look better with the 120hz as you don't get the 3:2 pulldown side effects.

I'm planning on getting two of those 1440p dispays myself, then again I would rather have higher resolution than refresh rate, as I would mostly use them for editing. As for gaming, I'm generally fine with 60hz as well, it still looks great at high resolutions. It really is a matter of preference, do you feel like games should be looking smoother or sharper?

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By colourful_hippie

@mikkaq: No, playstation display is the name of the monitor that I bought, you know, that one thing Sony put out a long time ago and looks like a giant Vita.

I'm using this with a PC, don't be crazy.

Also I guess if I haven't noticed smoothness issues on the display I currently own then I should be fine with sticking with something that isn't 120

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By monetarydread

I would personally go with the 1440p IPS panel unless you have an Nvidia card and are interested in Gsync or 3D Vision tech.

The IPS panel will have better viewing angles, colours (so if you do any sort of photography or videography this is pretty much the only option) and 1440p is a high enough resolution that you do not need to use any AA. Keep in mind though, the response rate is terrible on an IPS but that should not be much of an issue unless you are playing a competitive FPS or Starcraft. Double the resolution also means that you need a lot more powerful video card.

On the other hand there is 120hz monitors. I have a VG27H and I find that it is a beautiful monitor. The high refresh rate offers minimal benefit to gamers unless you are incredibly sensitive to lag. It does offer 3D vision 2 support, and in my opinion, that works a fuck tonne better than any 3D I have seen in a movie theater. The image is brighter, less washed out, the glasses are more comfortable, and the screen offers a higher resolution than every other competing formats (every home format is locked at 720p/30fps instead of 1080p/60fps). It has also eliminated ghosting as well (this is even a problem in movie theaters). If you can wait another month and a bit you can pick up the same monitor with Gsync support (or buy now and install a new chip later), and apparently that eliminates the stuttering found in PC gaming. From what I have heard it really makes a difference in the experience because you can have a framerate that varies and the game still feels smooth.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1440p. I have a 120Hz monitor and the only times it's a noticeable improvement is with smoothing cursor movement. I would have much rather gotten a good IPS panel because the color accuracy and black levels on a TN display aren't great.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Devildoll

It's kind of hard to recommend something to your in the blind like this.

If you said you were a resolution junkie, it would be easier to recommend a 1440p display.
And if you said you were an aspiring counter-strike player, i would have recommended the 120 Hzer.

A monitor is an important and personal component, kind of like picking out a mechanical keyboard.
You should go and look at both kinds of monitors if you can.

I personally think 120 hz is the bomb, the way a window flows like silk over the desktop when you move it, its night and day.
I cant go back.

But @monetarydread and @chiablo has another opinion, and so might you.

wastedcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By wastedcolumbo

If you have a recent nvidia card in your rig I would recommend waiting for G-sync.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

@colourful_hippie: if you have a device that will actually push the 1440p resolution, and you could play games at that on PC, i'd say go for it. From what i understand, a PS3 and PS4 will not push 1440p resolution so you'll end up with the monitor not displaying in it's native res mode and ultimately may look worse than a 1080p screen.

Now as far as 120 Hz, many tv's that use 120hz displays use a technology that smooths the transition from frame to frame giving the appearance of a smoother, higher framerate. for a game that's running at 30 or 60 fps this technology is cool, it often gives you a clearer picture especially when fast moving objects are on the screen, watching movies and tv is different though. Our living room TV is a 120 Hz samsung LED tv and whenever we watch a 24 fps movie on it, the smoothing tech freaks out and makes the movie look like garbage because it's not able to effectively smooth the framerate of the film.

Your choice but if you're buying the screen for a PC, i'd go with the higher res 1440p and later get the graphics card to push it (if you don't already have it). if you're buying it for a game console, the 120hz is a better choice to potentially improve that experience..

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: if you have a device that will actually push the 1440p resolution, and you could play games at that on PC, i'd say go for it. From what i understand, a PS3 and PS4 will not push 1440p resolution so you'll end up with the monitor not displaying in it's native res mode and ultimately may look worse than a 1080p screen.

Now as far as 120 Hz, many tv's that use 120hz displays use a technology that smooths the transition from frame to frame giving the appearance of a smoother, higher framerate. for a game that's running at 30 or 60 fps this technology is cool, it often gives you a clearer picture especially when fast moving objects are on the screen, watching movies and tv is different though. Our living room TV is a 120 Hz samsung LED tv and whenever we watch a 24 fps movie on it, the smoothing tech freaks out and makes the movie look like garbage because it's not able to effectively smooth the framerate of the film.

Your choice but if you're buying the screen for a PC, i'd go with the higher res 1440p and later get the graphics card to push it (if you don't already have it). if you're buying it for a game console, the 120hz is a better choice to potentially improve that experience..

I went ahead with the Monoprice 1440p display and I'm loving it. The color accuracy is insane and the resolution is incredible and the best thing about this setup is that my GTX 770 is capable of pushing Battlefield 4 at native resolution completely maxed out and the framerate only drops to 50 or so during crazy moments, I only had to turn off the MSAA.

No Caption Provided
Also AC IV looks great too despite some settings turned down from very high to high
Also AC IV looks great too despite some settings turned down from very high to high
No Caption Provided

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By AlexW00d

I'd go with 120hz cause I know numerous people who have taken the plunge and now can't use anything lower. Plus a decent 120hz monitor will cost you about a third of the price of a decent 1440p one.

I know a couple of people with this specific monitor and both are very complimentary of it.

E: Wait I wasn't even paying attention, I just linked the 144hz one. Cheap as shit anyway.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

more discretionary income plz

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By colourful_hippie

@alexw00d: I'll bookmark it for potential second monitor and I think I can understand how people who would just get used to this resolution, I'm already getting used to seeing games run at this even though I won't have the horsepower to come close to pushing future titles at that resolution

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Late to the party, but I'll never go without 120hz again. I have both a 120hz Asus monitor and a Korean 1440 panel (Yamakasi). For most games, the 1440 is great and you'll be happy. But with shooters, I can immediately feel the difference between 120hz and 60hz. I was fine before I had 120hz and didn't think there could ever be anything wrong with 60hz, but once I got used to it, going backwards was not an option.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@colourful_hippie: Oh god I didn't even realise this was from 17 days ago. Whoops. And glad you're enjoying your purchase :D