Need HELP with first gaming computer build!

Brink330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all

After a years of just buying computers from HP/Best Buy prebuilt..... ive decided its time for me to build the next one myself. I will mostly be playing graphic intense games (all the new ones) for years to come on it. Although id also like to be able to multi-task while im doing that on some games.... (2 monitors eventually....right now just one 1920x1080 screen). After researching so much that im confused now on what to get (trying to read all reviews....) i need help.

Here is what ive come up with so far (i will be buying the parts from newegg throughout the holiday season)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($82.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($130.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.68 @ Newegg)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($355.91 @ Newegg)

Case: Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($26.97 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

First of all, even tho im using "pcpartspicker" id just like to make sure everything works with eachother (with eventual SLI graphics)

Second, is there something better for the pricing i should be getting instead? (im trying to stay around 1200 total)

Third, i really dont know about Hard drives and/or memory....are these ones good?

Fourth, should i be getting a better cpu cooler than the stock cooler/paste? Also should i get maybe 1 or 2 more fans (the temp in this room does get hot in the summers)

Im not looking to overclock as of yet, but will probably down the road when the need is there...

Thanks for the help!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

Looks great. I would get Windows 8.1 instead of 7 though because 7 won't support DirectX 12.

An aftermarket CPU cooler is nice but you don't need one. I recommend a Noctua NH-U12S (pretty expensive) or a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (not so expensive) if you do get one.

kylenalepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kylenalepa

Looks good. As a counter point to Corevi, I'd say stick with Windows 7. DirectX 12 isn't coming until Holiday 2015, at which point you can just upgrade to Windows 10 and skip 8 altogether. If you don't mind Windows 8, though, you can go either way.

EDIT: To address your specific points, I've heard nothing but good things about PCPartsPicker. If they're giving you the all clear, you should be good to go as far as compatibility is concerned. Their pricing is usually on point as well. SSD/HD are fine - Samsung makes some fine SSDs (I have one myself) and although I usually go Western Digital for hard drives, I think it's just a matter of personal preference; besides, if you're using it for storage, minute differences in speed aren't going to be a big deal. Finally, stay with the stock cooler for now. If you decide to overclock down the line, then you can look into upgrading to something else (The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is the one I've always heard is the best, and runs around $35 on Newegg). Same with the fans - check your temperatures when summer comes around and then decide if you want to add one or two to the machine.

Good luck!

Origibro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Windows 8 will give you a lot of issues playing current and older games, you would be better off getting Windows 7 then wait a few years until Directx 12 is pretty much a requirement then upgrade, Windows 8 might be better than Windows 7 by then.

GnolTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks good!

I'm no expert, but the people I trust to be experts always recommended to me to get a custom CPU cooler. They're very cheap anyways, so it's always been an easy choice for me. Also, have fun installing the CPU. Building a PC isn't too hard, but installing that CPU never stops being terrifying (never actually went wrong, but it felt that way..).

I'll let the American based users comment on whether there is a better store for you pricing-wise.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By GaspoweR

@brink330 That build is pretty solid!

Yeah, I'd second CorEvil and get 8.1 and you might be able to upgrade directly to 10 probably for much cheaper like what they did with Win 7 to Win 8 for a limited time during its launch but that's just mere speculation on my part. Also try getting a much cheaper optical drive (<$20) if you really need one.

EDIT: Oh yeah since its almost Black Friday, try to wait on days wherein a similar component from a different brand will get a flash deal in Newegg or other sites so you can get some deals. Some components might have combo discount deals as well.

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By j0lter

You may want to get a different type of 970. I haven't heard anything about twin frozr, but I have heard that msi and gigabyte cards are doing well compared to the others. Just keep in mind that the gigabyte cards are longer.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Franstone

I personally would say:
Get Windows 8.1 (Rumor Windows 10 will be a free upgrade but I don't yet believe it).
Go Western Digital instead of Seagate for HDD.
Always get the best CPU and GPU you can possibly afford even if it means going over budget (people would argue this).

My last upgrade was my 1600Mhz to 2400Mhz memory because Battlefield loves fast memory, I'm sure more games will sooner than later.
Best of luck and enjoy whatever you end up with!

MarvinPontiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bit of relieving advice I wish I had heard when building a PC: yes, installing the CPU is supposed to crunch like that.

Also this site is incredible and helped me source everything: http://www.logicalincrements.com

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j0lter said:

You may want to get a different type of 970. I haven't heard anything about twin frozr, but I have heard that msi and gigabyte cards are doing well compared to the others. Just keep in mind that the gigabyte cards are longer.

I have the Twin Frozr and it's fantastic. It's MSI.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#11  Edited By isomeri

I'm not really up-to-date concerning all the components and stuff, but building your first PC is a great thing and I'm really glad that you've decided to go this route. These systems are super easy to build these days. It's like putting together Lego and just as fun. For my last couple of builds I've used this video for reference and as background noise. Come learn with those two dudes from that Jamie & Adam's Tested website and Jeff!

Loading Video...

EDIT: Just to make sure, this video's a few years old and none of these components are likely to be relevant anymore.

MarvinPontiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, it might break your budget but I have to really recommend getting an SSD – the 1TBs are affordable now, and you can very easily uninstall/install games as you want to play them. I thought I would hate doing this, but it has never been a problem.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solid build, the only thing I would change is get a bigger HDD. The price difference for triple the space is still relatively cheap.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

I'm not really up-to-date concerning all the components and stuff, but building your first PC is a great thing and I'm really glad that you've decided to go this route. These systems are super easy to build these days. It's like putting together Lego and just as fun. For my last couple of builds I've used this video for reference and as background noise. Come learn with those two dudes from that Jamie & Adam's Tested website and Jeff!

Loading Video...

EDIT: Just to make sure, this video's a few years old and none of these components are likely to be relevant anymore.

They've done updated builds like the one with Lloyd Case with the Betfenix Prodigy and another build video for a different rig last year.

Loading Video...

There's also a bunch of articles on Tested but they are not as updated as dedicated PC hardware sites but are still pretty good regardless.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would get a Western Digital drive instead of that seagate. They're slightly less failure prone.

Also a better PSU, corsair's CX series isn't terrible, but it's probably the worst power supply line currently available from a reliable brand. Your power supply is the one part of your PC which can break all your other components if it fails. It's worth spending a bit more to guarantee reliability.

And you have an overclocking CPU and MB, so I'm guessing you're intending to overclock, in which case you'll want to pick up an aftermarket cooler. Stock Intel coolers are fine at stock speeds, but overclocking with one is asking for trouble.

P.S SLI is way more trouble than it's worth.

Brink330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks good. As a counter point to Corevi, I'd say stick with Windows 7. DirectX 12 isn't coming until Holiday 2015, at which point you can just upgrade to Windows 10 and skip 8 altogether. If you don't mind Windows 8, though, you can go either way.

EDIT: To address your specific points, I've heard nothing but good things about PCPartsPicker. If they're giving you the all clear, you should be good to go as far as compatibility is concerned. Their pricing is usually on point as well. SSD/HD are fine - Samsung makes some fine SSDs (I have one myself) and although I usually go Western Digital for hard drives, I think it's just a matter of personal preference; besides, if you're using it for storage, minute differences in speed aren't going to be a big deal. Finally, stay with the stock cooler for now. If you decide to overclock down the line, then you can look into upgrading to something else (The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is the one I've always heard is the best, and runs around $35 on Newegg). Same with the fans - check your temperatures when summer comes around and then decide if you want to add one or two to the machine.

Good luck!

Thanks, im really thinking of staying with windows 7 mostly because i dont like the look of windows 8.

@origibro said:

Windows 8 will give you a lot of issues playing current and older games, you would be better off getting Windows 7 then wait a few years until Directx 12 is pretty much a requirement then upgrade, Windows 8 might be better than Windows 7 by then.

yea i was guessing windows 7 will be supported for a long while yet so....

@pcorb said:

I would get a Western Digital drive instead of that seagate. They're slightly less failure prone.

Also a better PSU, corsair's CX series isn't terrible, but it's probably the worst power supply line currently available from a reliable brand. Your power supply is the one part of your PC which can break all your other components if it fails. It's worth spending a bit more to guarantee reliability.

And you have an overclocking CPU and MB, so I'm guessing you're intending to overclock, in which case you'll want to pick up an aftermarket cooler. Stock Intel coolers are fine at stock speeds, but overclocking with one is asking for trouble.

P.S SLI is way more trouble than it's worth.

im not planning on ocing YET, but i want everything to be ready for when i do/the need arises

I really dont know much about psu's.....is there one that you or someone else recommends (ill spend a lil more if needed but dont want to break the bank)

Also, i just noticed the hdd i have selected is a "bare drive" from newegg....will i have the necessary cables with that motherboard?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Corevi
@brink330 said:

yea i was guessing windows 7 will be supported for a long while yet so....

I really dont know much about psu's.....is there one that you or someone else recommends (ill spend a lil more if needed but dont want to break the bank)

Also, i just noticed the hdd i have selected is a "bare drive" from newegg....will i have the necessary cables with that motherboard?

1. It won't be, they are ending support in January
  2. I have that PSU and haven't had any problems
  3. You need a SATA cable like this. You will also need to download and install the drivers for it but that shouldn't be a problem since it's not your boot drive.

colinjw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When building your pc take your time and don't panic if it does not boot the first time just double check everything is powered and plugged in correctly. Use an antistatic band if you can. The parts list you have picked looks fine. When you are putting in the ram check to see if the ram slots are paired so you know which ones to use.

Brink330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok so here is the updated build

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6fszCJ

Ive gone ahead and ordered the gpu, but now im second guessing on the case...

It seems TOO big....but idk what cases are good or if theres one better

I like the LED lighted fans and how many fans come preinstalled (although i guess i can buy my own fans...)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Corevi

@brink330: I really like the Define R4. It's not nearly as flashy or ostentatious as the Blackhawk but it is the best case I've ever used. It's quieter than the vacuum of space and has everything you could ever want in a case.

Brink330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: I saw that case and thought about it a while ago, i dont really like the front panel that swings open. i wont have enough room for it to swing open unless i turn it every time i need to get into the front

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Corevi
@brink330 said:

@corevi: I saw that case and thought about it a while ago, i dont really like the front panel that swings open. i wont have enough room for it to swing open unless i turn it every time i need to get into the front

You can just take off the front panel if you want to. It won't be as quiet though.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The windows 7 vs 8.1 is the final thing I'm debating as well right now with my build. Tough choice

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pcorb

@hurricaneivan29: It's a pretty simple choice really:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/07/10/microsoft-windows-7-mainstream-support/