New PC Build Issues

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Components List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FwkLYJ

When I try to get my PC to POST the fans and video card come on but I get no display on my monitor and the red leds on the motherboard by the cpu and ram are blinking, not solid. I've double checked all the connections, checked the cpu socket for bent pins, taken the board out of the case and connected the basics and get the same problem, I've tried reseating the cpu fan, I've tried the RAM in different configurations and one stick at a time. I don't have any spare parts to swap in for anything and I'm beginning to think one of my parts was DOA but I'm not sure.

I would greatly appreciate any help, I'm a scrub when it comes to pc building.

Update 1/11/15 : Clearing the CMOS allowed me to properly POST the system, outside the case only though. When I hook it up inside the case it still won't boot properly, I think there is an issue with the case grounding the board.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

When I've had this problem it has been dead RAM every time, but not something you can test it sounds like.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: I've been thinking about going out and picking up a couple of new sticks just to test, if it is the RAM I'd be happy because that's the easiest fix.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By onarum

Tried a clear CMOS yet?

also have you plugged both motherboard power connectors?

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the on-board speaker beep at all? The motherboard manual should have a list of error sounds that might help narrow down the issue.

Also, the motherboard description says, "depends on CPU," for on-board video & the CPU specs. say it does have on-board video. Have you tried booting without the video card inserted, just to eliminate it as an issue?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

@onarum said:

Tried a clear CMOS yet?

also have you plugged both motherboard power connectors?

This is what I would do.

Then try running with one stick of RAM, then the other.

See if the blinking lights correspond to an error code in the motherboard manual.

Also, try getting it to post without the GPU installed. 4690k has an iGPU you can use.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Check the CPU is in correctly and it's pins aren't bent. Also try powering the motherboard up outside the case, to check for shorts. Does the motherboard book or website say anything about blinking lights in the fault finding section?

r3d_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

iirc your MB needs a BIOS update to work with 4th gen i5 CPU's

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

@diz said:

Check the CPU is in correctly and it's pins aren't bent. Also try powering the motherboard up outside the case, to check for shorts.

He did those steps...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: To clear the CMOS do I just take the battery out?

The manual isn't much help, there's no list of faults or common issues and solutions. All it says about the LEDs is that they will stay lit until the problem is solved which is confusing me because they're blinking, not solid red.

I tried with just the PSU, CPU and RAM hooked up outside the case and have the same issue.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theveteran13: most newer boards have a button that clears it, There has to be diagram of the board on the manual detailing what each thing does and where is everything.

If you can't find either a button or jumper just remove the battery for like 10 seconds and put it back.

Have you checked if moth the motherboard and GPU are powered accordingly? motherboard has 2 connectors 24 and 8 pin.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum: Yes, both connectors are attached and secure.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Zlimness

@theveteran13: My first thought is the 8-pin ETS connector. Sounds like enough power isn't getting through the motherboard.

r3d_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what is the BIOS revision?, it'll tell you on the sticker on the MB box.

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By goreyfantod

@theveteran13:

I took a quick glance at the latest online manual for your motherboard: Z97-A It seems to suggest that it might be performing a self-test on the RAM (although it's about as clearly written as most MoBo manuals, i.e. not at all). From what I read in section 1.8, pages 1-36 to 1-40, it could be that the LEDs are flashing as the board performs a test, & continue flashing each time you change things & reboot because it starts the self-test all over again. If it was me, I'd probably read pg. 1-40 through a few times & see if this is what's going on:

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally got it to work, I threw some nylon washers on the standoffs and on the screws and it worked in the case but it was still freaking out so then i messed around with the wires from the front panel of my case and it turns out the wiring for the reset switch is boogered up and messing it all up so I just left it unplugged and everything works like a charm now.

Thanks to everyone for their help

@mb: You can lock this thread now, thanks for the help.