#1 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Nothing is overclocked, its all stock.

So I booted up my PC and I got this error message - The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes in voltage. Latest settings in BIOS my not coincide with current H/W states. And then it gave me stats that basically said what my RAM and CPU was now running at but it was lower than usual.

My current specs are -

Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

GTX 570

Corsair 6GB Kit (3x2GB), PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3

Western Digital 1TB, Caviar Black, SATA-II, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache

HAF 932

Noctua NH-U12P-SE2 All-In-One CPU Cooler

And when I boot my PC it says my memory is running at 1066mhz when it should be at 1600mhz. Any idea why this happened?

#2 Posted by audioBusting (1639 posts) -

Not sure, but maybe the power supply is not giving enough power?

#3 Posted by Subjugation (4731 posts) -

@nekusakuraba: Will it boot up ok if you reset the CMOS? You should have a button on your mobo, or in some cases a jumper, that will reset all settings to stock. I realize you said yours should be at stock, but it couldn't hurt. If that doesn't change anything then it likely is a voltage problem.

#4 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@subjugation said:

@nekusakuraba: Will it boot up ok if you reset the CMOS? You should have a button on your mobo, or in some cases a jumper, that will reset all settings to stock. I realize you said yours should be at stock, but it couldn't hurt. If that doesn't change anything then it likely is a voltage problem.

Well the PC still boots up fine, it just seems that the RAM and CPU isn't running at the right Mhz.

I also tried going into the bios to change everything to its default settings, but it didn't do anything for me.

It seems under the RAM section of the BIOS it says that it's running at 1600Mhz but when you back out it says 1066Mhz like my PC can't handle what it's automatically set to. My BCLK is also 133MHz if that matters.

#6 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

It also seems that my default setting for CPU is 2.80Ghz now for whatever reason? resetting everything to default leave the CPU at 2.80Ghz and the RAM at 1066Mhz even though, as I mentioned above, under the RAM section of the BIOS it says it's running at 1600MHz but the boot up says otherwise.

#7 Edited by Nictel (2430 posts) -

What power supply do you have in there? Cause it sounds like the motherboard got the wrong voltage at one point. It's just hoping that it's the power supply and nothing wrong with the motherboard itself.

#8 Edited by Devildoll (904 posts) -

its a pretty common error message, it can happen or any number of reasons, don't read to much into it if it only happens once in a blue moon.

the 920 usually runs at 20x133.
Although it has a turbo up to 21x133, which translates into 2,8 GHz, might be running constant turbo, some motherboards have a setting for that.

regarding the memory, some bioses list frequency instead of a multiplier,

it might list 1066 instead of x6 , 1333 instead of x8 and 1600 instead of x10.
this is kind of stupid in my opinion, if you list the multiplier, you can calculate the frequency by yourself, 8x133 , etc etc.

If it just lists the frequency, you have to take the shitty bios' word for it, while in fact, 1333 might be the multiplier for 1066 MHz at the current Bclk.

some bioses update the frequency live, and then its a bit more reliable, but still, knowing the actual multiplier is best.

My advice for you would be to read up on the motherboard manual, to try and figure out what the figures actually mean in the bios, is it a disguised multiplier? is it simply stating the name of the ram? or is it the actual frequency, that for one reason or the other, doesn't get saved properly.

#9 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

its a pretty common error message, it can happen or any number of reasons, don't read to much into it if it only happens once in a blue moon.

the 920 usually runs at 20x133.

Although it has a turbo up to 21x133, which translates into 2,8 GHz, might be running constant turbo, some motherboards have a setting for that.

regarding the memory, some bioses list frequency instead of a multiplier,

it might list 1066 instead of x6 , 1333 instead of x8 and 1600 instead of x10.

this is kind of stupid in my opinion, if you list the multiplier, you can calculate the frequency by yourself, 8x133 , etc etc.

If it just lists the frequency, you have to take the shitty bios' word for it, while in fact, 1333 might be the multiplier for 1066 MHz at the current Bclk.

some bioses update the frequency live, and then its a bit more reliable, but still, knowing the actual multiplier is best.

My advice for you would be to read up on the motherboard manual, to try and figure out what the figures actually mean in the bios, is it a disguised multiplier? is it simply stating the name of the ram? or is it the actual frequency, that for one reason or the other, doesn't get saved properly.

Hey, thanks for the help. It seems that my CPU does in fact run turbo on by default so I guess I'll leave it on, right? I've never had a problem with it before, I guess I just didn't realise it was running at 2.80.

Basically I went into my RAM settings and under one of the options I had to choose ''profile 1'' and it set everything back to 1600MHz and with turbo on, so it seems everything has been fixed.

Thanks for all the help!

#10 Edited by TyCobb (1976 posts) -

Not sure what BIOS version you are running, but it does appear there are quite a few BIOS updates.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2958#bios

A couple of them actually list fixing CPU compatibility and one even mentions an S3 turbo mode. Granted that appears to fix resuming from a sleep mode, but it may have also been an issue with booting and they just didn't list it because it was either less prevalent or they aren't aware of it yet.