#1 Edited by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

I'm Just wondering if anyone can point out or tell me if there is a motherboard out there that fully supports 16x16 SLI/Crossfire? I have struggled and failed to find a single board out there that natively supports dual video cards running at x16, they all say 8x8 which I swear the first gen i7 boards used to support that.

Also, is there a single AMD board that has the PCI Express 3.0 yet? been out for over a year, if not longer and I've still yet to see a single AMD board have them on it yet which doesn't make sense at all? unless PCI 3.0 is coming when the new Jaguar CPUS are out...........

#2 Posted by Amilmitt (237 posts) -
#3 Edited by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

oooo thats a nice board man.... thanks for the link... very interesting indeed.... wonder if there is an intel counter part

#4 Edited by Devildoll (831 posts) -

intel wants you to go 2011 if you want dual 16x lanes.

PCI-E 3.0 x8 has the same bandwidth as PCI-E 2.0 x16 anyway, its not going to impact your performance, noticeably.

#5 Edited by Nictel (2312 posts) -
#6 Posted by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

good find !!... had to be one of the new Z87 boards though for the new processors...

#7 Posted by Devildoll (831 posts) -

@vackillers: they have one just like that for z77 actually.

#8 Posted by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

ooo they do? I'll have to take a look at that one too

#9 Edited by Devildoll (831 posts) -
#10 Edited by rickyyo (103 posts) -

@devildoll said:

@vackillers: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77_WS/#specifications

but, you'll be just fine with a 2 slot 8x mobo.

He is right. You won't end up needing the extra bandwidth provided by having two 16x slots in full operation. If your playing games. Now, if your writing performance code that needs to run at its best and happens to have a memory bottleneck. Then the answer is sure if the company you work for is willing to pay for it. Depending on what you know you may have come to the conclusion that memory access is the slowest part of a computer and that is true. But without going into the specifics I think I made it sorta clear that the problem people expect it to be isn't much of one when it comes to games.

Also, you should tell everyone what kind of monitors it will power. That is a better indication on whether you need it.

Lastly, I can't believe I haven't seen a PCIe 3.0 slot on an AMD board. That is really hilarious.

#11 Edited by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

I was more just curious to be honest, and I've found a couple boards now that have dual 16x16 Sli/xfire configurations now but they are hard to find... so the advantage of running dual x16 slots is an improvement in VRAM efficiency? I was just figuring that having dual GPUS running at half their speed would be gimping the cards natural speed and understood that 8x8 speeds for when SLI/GPU first came out and supported properly after the AGP slots just would think times have changed now that more manufatures would design more boards that were 16x16, especially with gamers switching to multiple screens. This MSI board supposed to support it, and its not THAT expensive, not really..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130649

Yep... still cant quite believe it myself no single AMD Board supports pci-express 3.0. WEIRD!!! and WTF AMD? get your thumbs outta your ass and get with the times already... doesn't matter if there is much difference in PCI 2.0 or 3.0, dont gimp the cards just because their PCI 3.0, and AMD were the first ones to bring out a PCI Express 3.0 card as well...

#12 Edited by Devildoll (831 posts) -

@vackillers: there is no native support for 3.0 in 990FX, similar to amd taking a while to jump to ddr2.
It is probably "expensive"to add onto a chipset or mobo, compared to the gains.

there is a sabertooth mobo with pci-e 3.0 support via a 3rd party bridge chip however.

#13 Posted by VACkillers (1023 posts) -

hmmm interesting, a 3rd party bridge chip? dont suppose you have a link to that, would be very interested to see that..........

#14 Posted by envane (1156 posts) -

well that sucks , but from my experience sli has been a fucking nightmare in terms of keeping things cool, if i was ever to get another sli system id ensure it supported 16x with the cards spaced 2 apart from eachother , beacuse sandwiched sli = thermal nightmare .. but in most realistc cases id avoid it liek the plague , the only reason i went sli when i did was for multi monitor support that is now provided by single cards.

weird about the pci-e 3.0 990fx thing .. seems bizzare

#15 Posted by Devildoll (831 posts) -