Rate and critique this build for me?

ReeferGladness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ReeferGladness

It's my first ever Pc that i'm going to build and I would like you to rate the build and critique it.

750 is around my budget but am willing to go up to 800 if needed.

Please also explain your changes.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16bnu

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16bnu/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16bnu/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($78.56 @ Amazon)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.23 @ Outlet PC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Fractal Design Core 3000 USB 3.0 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.00 @ Amazon)

Total: $732.72

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-13 23:57 EDT-0400)

ReeferGladness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one will :(?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Off the bat, that power supply isn't enough to power that graphics card, it requires at least a 500w. I've heard bad things about MSI boards(but i don't know first hand), I've used Asus twice so far and no problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200 The PSU i used, I want to upgrade it now though running a 7950 but it still works fine so far.

If you have an older PC I would suggest taking out the optical drives, hdd's, etc to save money and then spend more on the PSU and Motherboards if you can. And then upgrade later when you have the funds

Also make sure your ram is compatible with your motherboard and processor, sometimes that becomes an issue.

Hope that helps

ReeferGladness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the input man, always good to learn. Ty

Zojirushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually no. People tend to put in way too large power supplies into their PC. I'm rocking a 3GB 7970 and I'm doing just fine with a high efficiency 480W and even that is already too much.

Some site recently tested those new super powerful NVidia cards and their high spec systems just barely passed the 300W mark and only under heavy stress.

A big power supply won't hurt you but since you seem to be price sensitive it's actually a good part to save some money. So look for something with a good efficiency rating and don't go crazy on those Watts.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@oursin_360: People understimate the need for DVD drives; I'd rather spend the 20 bucks than try to figure out how to copy and load off a USB. With a new PC you get a lot of firmware(?) CDs as well as your OS. Besides, what if you happen to find a bunch of old edutainment software from your childhood that you want to relive? What then?

Also, I don't know shit about motherboards, especially AMD focused ones. Try asking on TomsHardware.com.

@zojirushi: I'd rather be safe than sorry; I'm rocking a 530W for a 7870 Ghz ed. and haven't experienced any problems so far. When it comes to what is essentially the heart of the whole computer, I'd rather overcompensate; it'd be an easy fix, but a hell of a hassle.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OurSin_360

@ch3burashka said:

@oursin_360: People understimate the need for DVD drives; I'd rather spend the 20 bucks than try to figure out how to copy and load off a USB. With a new PC you get a lot of firmware(?) CDs as well as your OS. Besides, what if you happen to find a bunch of old edutainment software from your childhood that you want to relive? What then?

Also, I don't know shit about motherboards, especially AMD focused ones. Try asking on TomsHardware.com.

@zojirushi: I'd rather be safe than sorry; I'm rocking a 530W for a 7870 Ghz ed. and haven't experienced any problems so far. When it comes to what is essentially the heart of the whole computer, I'd rather overcompensate; it'd be an easy fix, but a hell of a hassle.

Actually I mean take them out the older pc and reuse them (just re-read and i wasn't clear enough). You'll probably need a optical drive to install your Mobo drivers anyway.

@zojirushi I'm sure you can do that to an extent, but i wouldn't risk it especially with a AMD processor probably running @a high voltage as well. At 480w you'll 'probably' be fine if you don't overclock or use the max voltage in overdrive. (the 20% power control, at least thats how my 7950 is). I wouldn't go under the recommended wattage though, just seems an unnecessary risk IMO. Plus it pays to have a larger PSU if you ever plan on upgrading in the future (crossfire/Sli/Overclocking).

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Yea, as a few others have said I think the power supply could be a bit more powerful. power supplys aren't too pricey. And MSi makes fine motherboards but ASUS are a bit more reputable. (I've got an MSi in mine)