Should I buy a 680?

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

It's tax time, and that means its new PC hardwear time!!! Thinking about buy a GTX 680 with a i7 2600k. Am I crazy?

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Go Big or Go Home, ummm stay home

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jackel2072

I need crysis 3 running at max it's the only way I can sleep at night =)

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have 3, they're pretty cool.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I want to see if specs for the PS3 are announced. I want to know what ever I build for a PC this summer will at least do what the consoles can. But that is hard to tell. Doubt a PC built in 2005 would run Crysis 2 or Far Cry 3 well. Though we are only looking at 1080p. I will start with the Haswell processors coming out in June.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 2 680's and they are amazing but I still think new cards will come out next month so you might want to wait a little while longer.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Honestly, I'd probably wait for the next refresh (I haven't kept up on its release date, but it's probably after E3, right?). Knowing the specs of the next-gen consoles could, in some way, be advantageous.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jackel2072

well im glad im supported. ok i can wait for a little while longer. the entire budget for this build is 1600 (maybe a little more now that i have a decent job and all my adult none sense is caught up) . I want windows 7 not 8 and i already have RAM thats still pretty good. now i i just need to nail out the details. anyone have any recommendations for a motherboard?

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Devildoll

@thehbk said:

I want to see if specs for the PS3 are announced. I want to know what ever I build for a PC this summer will at least do what the consoles can. But that is hard to tell. Doubt a PC built in 2005 would run Crysis 2 or Far Cry 3 well. Though we are only looking at 1080p. I will start with the Haswell processors coming out in June.

the GTX 680 is state of the art hardware, albeit a year old, it is still a high end card on the latest architecture.It probably cost more (at least did at launch) than a ps4 on its own.

Nvidia and AMD are not going to magically pull twice as powerful graphics cards out of their asses cause a new console cycle is about to start.

They are always pushing the limit, developing and releasing new series pretty much as soon at it is possible to manufacture.

If you want to build a computer today, a GTX 680 or a HD 7970 is a great choice.

If the new consoles are still over a year out, then of course you are going to be able to buy better computer components simultaneously/around to that launch. ( but not because of the console launch, simply because it's been a year )

But it wont be a bigger leap, from now till then, than lets say waiting from 2008 to buy something in 2009 instead.The console launches simply dont have any impact on the rate of pc hardware evolution.

What they can possibly impact though, is the system requirements for games.But regardless of that, you will still have the same choices for pc hardware to buy, so as long as you buy a good pc, you're covered.

I'f you plan on buying a worse pc just cause console specs turn out measly, i feel you have the wrong approach.

All the leaks are pointing to the consoles using midrange 7000 series cards.But as i stated, that doesn't really change what you should be buying for a gaming pc.

simply buy a rig when you need one, and when the time comes, upgrade. ( as long as it isn't a week before a new generation of hardware is released )

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FrankieSpankie

I have 2 680's and they are amazing but I still think new cards will come out next month so you might want to wait a little while longer.

This, Nvidia just announced a new video card yesterday that should be coming out in a month or so. You're better off waiting until then and get a 680 at that point. I have a 560Ti which isn't great but makes even the newest games at least playable, granted at low settings. I'm sure a 680 would be able to run the newest games no problem.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got a 3770k at 4.5ghz and dual 670's and still can't run Crysis 3 at max settings 60fps even if I drop the res to 1080. Probably a driver issue tho.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's tax time, and that means its new PC hardwear time!!! Thinking about buy a GTX 680 with a i7 2600k. Am I crazy?

Do you have at least $1000 to spend? Get that limited edition Geforce Titan that's coming out in limited quantity.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Devildoll

@frankiespankie: lol you mean the Titan? it's due out tomorrow actually.

But with a pricetag of $1000 and limited run of ten thousand units, it is not for everyone.

Since it is such a prestige card, with mind blowing specs ( 7,1 billion transistors!!! almost as many as there are humans! ) and performance promises, it is not really competing with anything out on the market, and will most likely not impact the pricing of any other graphics cards when it is released.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devildoll: Awww, I clearly didn't read all the details. XD Figured that'd be the new line of cards.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Scooper

Get Triple SLI Titans, asshole!

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jackel2072: If you are comfortable with spending that much, do it duder! I am going to drop a good amount of money on my first build when summer comes around. The GTX 680 will not disappoint your needs.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I'd probably wait for the next refresh (I haven't kept up on its release date, but it's probably after E3, right?). Knowing the specs of the next-gen consoles could, in some way, be advantageous.

This.

@jams said:

@jackel2072 said:

Do you have at least $1000 to spend? Get that limited edition Geforce Titan that's coming out in limited quantity.

I didn't even notice this was coming out. Fuck, do want.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

OH GOD YES!!!~

*wipes drool off of mouth*

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depending on what youve got id wait for Q4 when the nvidia 700 series starts appearing.

I mean the new consoles will probably arrive then and im not that confident that even a 680 can run next gen ports that well, because you know.

Ports.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Andorski

I'd drop money on a HD 7970 than the GTX 680. Slightly better performance (except for PhysX supported games) at a cheaper cost. I'm going to do an ITX build but decided to wait for the next generation of GPUs that come out after the consoles are released so it can keep up with the next cycle of games.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Corvak

@zenmastah: I wouldnt be so quick to claim every game is a console port, or to denounce ports as inferior.

The industry has learned a lot, especially in the last two years, about succeeding on PC. Custom UIs, graphical fidelity that scales with hardware, both controller and keyboard support, using Steamworks, etc.

The PS3's Cell processor was a stumbling block for true multiplatforms - making it harder to go from PS3->PC. Now that it's very likely that all of the major platforms will be using x86, this barrier will be greatly reduced in the years to come.

The GTX 680 (and the 7970) are vastly overpowered for current games - these two flagship cards aren't really pushed to their limits until you play a game across multiple screens.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak:

Hope so, i mean my new rig is almost complete just need an SSD and id love to go into next gen with this thing.

But im doubtful.

Dauthi693

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dauthi693

You get alot better bang for buck with every over card. How about a AMD 7870-7970 or Nvidia 670. then grab a 128 GB SSD.