#1 Posted by VACkillers (1059 posts) -

Next Gen PCs are just around the corner now, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this thing had 24 cores in the windows bar, thats just fking Insane!!! when you consider the new Gen consoles have only just reached 8-core cpus inside them, this is just an insane amount and will easily last you the next 12 years most likely lol... The fact its running inside a laptop is just madness, with amazing temps as well under 100% only 70c thats fucking impressive. I really cannot wait for the new line of CPUs from both AMD and Intel next year and with DDR4 out next month too........ wow

http://www.techoftomorrow.com/2013/pc/worlds-first-12-core-24-thread-laptop-but-it-weighs-12-pounds/

http://www.maximumpc.com/eurocom_builds_first_12-core_24-thread_laptop_weighs_12_pounds

http://web.eurocom.com/ec/ec_model_config1%281,234,0%29x

#2 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

But can it run Crysis?

#3 Posted by RonGalaxy (2872 posts) -

Most games arent cpu intensive, so that much power is (currently) pointless.

#4 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

First 12 core laptop, not first cpu...

#5 Posted by guanophobic (260 posts) -

@vackillers said:

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this thing had 24 cores in the windows bar, thats just fking Insane!!!

Threads, not cores.

#6 Edited by Devildoll (877 posts) -

Lets just hope they release a desktop consumer version so i finally have something to upgrade to

#7 Posted by zenmastah (876 posts) -

12 pounds?
Thats a bit much.

#8 Posted by Karkarov (2984 posts) -

Honestly this is just getting crazy now. Graphics cards, memory, and processors are already embarrassingly more powerful than they need to be for gaming anyway. This is just insult to injury.

#9 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@karkarov said:

Honestly this is just getting crazy now. Graphics cards, memory, and processors are already embarrassingly more powerful than they need to be for gaming anyway. This is just insult to injury.

Tech always advances forward and considering that they are PC parts, the scope of that hardware isn't solely for gaming needs.

#10 Edited by Rowr (5480 posts) -

@karkarov said:

Wash your dirty mouth!

No amount is enough!

#11 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Finally I can render videos in a split second like I've always wanted!

#12 Posted by Karkarov (2984 posts) -

@rowr said:

@karkarov said:

Wash your dirty mouth!

No amount is enough!

Don't get me wrong, I am planning to build a new pc when DDR 4 hits and my PC is only 3 years old and the processor is still well beyond the needs of any game that exists. I do a lot of video editing and stuff though so I can always get something out of better ram, more cores, etc etc.

#13 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2923 posts) -

pff, only 24 cores? Whatever. Boring.

But does it take voice commands??

#14 Posted by Scrawnto (2434 posts) -

Most games arent cpu intensive, so that much power is (currently) pointless.

If you read the links, you'll see this isn't designed for gaming, though you could use it for that if you were a crazy person. It's basically a server blade in laptop form.

#15 Edited by wewantsthering (1551 posts) -

@karkarov said:

Tech always advances forward and considering that they are PC parts, the scope of that hardware isn't solely for gaming needs.

That and if everyone thought computers were too powerful at their current state, we'd still be using our 66MHz computers. You sound like Bill Gates when he said we will never need more than 64K of memory. lol

#16 Posted by Korwin (2828 posts) -

Someone jammed a Xeon E5-2697 into a laptop chassis? I always wanted a portable enterprise ESXi server...

Hypervisors son.

#17 Edited by Slaegar (688 posts) -

There have been 12+ core solutions for a while if you were willing to look into enterprise multi-cpu set ups. Eight core proper CPUs are not a strange sight in the high powered computing world and these motherboards often support two CPUs. Twelve is impressive in a laptop, but fuck laptops. This is probably a niche product for places that need a strong computer, but have space constraints. Something like an offshore oil rig may want something like this. Its powerful enough to be a full on server and host thin clients if needed. Or it would be able to run any strong calculations very quickly for ground mapping.

I bet it also sounds like a jet. Those exhaust fans are big enough to house full sized CPU coolers that's why it can handle all that heat. It does so well too. They show an image of the computer running with all 24 threads maxed out and its hottest core only got to 73 Celsius. A burn test a 2013 i7 Mac Book Air hits 96 Celsius for comparison, but these computers are obviously made for very different workloads.

Quack

#18 Edited by VACkillers (1059 posts) -
@slaegar said:

There have been 12+ core solutions for a while if you were willing to look into enterprise multi-cpu set ups. Eight core proper CPUs are not a strange sight in the high powered computing world and these motherboards often support two CPUs. Twelve is impressive in a laptop, but fuck laptops. This is probably a niche product for places that need a strong computer, but have space constraints. Something like an offshore oil rig may want something like this. Its powerful enough to be a full on server and host thin clients if needed. Or it would be able to run any strong calculations very quickly for ground mapping.

I bet it also sounds like a jet. Those exhaust fans are big enough to house full sized CPU coolers that's why it can handle all that heat. It does so well too. They show an image of the computer running with all 24 threads maxed out and its hottest core only got to 73 Celsius. A burn test a 2013 i7 Mac Book Air hits 96 Celsius for comparison, but these computers are obviously made for very different workloads.

Quack

Yes there have been 12-core CPUs around for awhile but this is the first time we've seen these processors outside of servers, AMD does a 16-core CPU, but their only server CPUs, reason why I'm a little excited about this was because this means the regular Desktop versions of these 12-core aren't too far away now, maybe even just months now before we'll be able to load this puppies in a proper gaming desktop machine. Most of the server CPUs have been extremely low clock speeds as well.

These cpus are 12 cores, but each cpu is dual threaded, which basically means each CPU is 2, that is why windows see's 24 cores. 24 is absolutely massive, you can barely fit that many on your desktop monitor gadget lol.. The twelve extra threads may not be as good as being actual 12 phsical cores, but its still basically the same as having 24 cores inside your machine.

#19 Edited by Hunter5024 (5543 posts) -

That number is bigger than the last number.

#20 Posted by Korwin (2828 posts) -

@slaegar said:

Quack

Yes there have been 12-core CPUs around for awhile but this is the first time we've seen these processors outside of servers, AMD does a 16-core CPU, but their only server CPUs, reason why I'm a little excited about this was because this means the regular Desktop versions of these 12-core aren't too far away now, maybe even just months now before we'll be able to load this puppies in a proper gaming desktop machine. Most of the server CPUs have been extremely low clock speeds as well.

These cpus are 12 cores, but each cpu is dual threaded, which basically means each CPU is 2, that is why windows see's 24 cores. 24 is absolutely massive, you can barely fit that many on your desktop monitor gadget lol.. The twelve extra threads may not be as good as being actual 12 phsical cores, but its still basically the same as having 24 cores inside your machine.

That machine is still a server (it's a Xeon with all the ECC and teamable NIC trimmings), simply a mobile one.

#21 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6386 posts) -

If you're buying it for gaming, that seems patently unnecessary. By that same token, if you're buying a laptop for gaming, what are you even doing?

#22 Posted by VACkillers (1059 posts) -

lol dude.....

#23 Edited by AMyggen (2546 posts) -

I bet this can run minesweeper really well.

#24 Posted by zenmastah (876 posts) -

It sure as shit wont run ACIV well seeing that it only uses 2 cores.

#25 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

The PC marches on... and continues to be completely impractical for anything in the present.

#26 Edited by Athadam (673 posts) -

That number is bigger than the last number.

Damn it. By that standard, the Xbox One I just purchased is certainly a huge downgrade.

#27 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I don't really get networking or server management that well, but why would someone need a portable server like that? Unless your whole office setup is similarly portable... which would be interesting.

#28 Edited by subyman (589 posts) -

12 core Xeons have been out for a while.

#29 Edited by Khann (2785 posts) -

My server has dual 12-core processors and it isn't exactly cutting edge..

#30 Edited by Rowr (5480 posts) -

If you're buying it for gaming, that seems patently unnecessary. By that same token, if you're buying a laptop for gaming, what are you even doing?

Some people travel for work etc. Those same people often have a pretty decent income.

#31 Edited by VACkillers (1059 posts) -
#32 Edited by GaspoweR (2805 posts) -

Well, it is for super computers so the applications for that is more for research and not for day-to-day use. Besides the only real obvious gains you can have from a multi-threaded CPU is for graphics design or video production purposes or using it as a host for a network server, and not necessarily for games, well, not yet anyway.

#33 Posted by GaspoweR (2805 posts) -

@amyggen said:

I bet this can run minesweeper really well.

RUNS IT IN 4K AT 120 FPS, mind you.

#34 Edited by sqrabbit (104 posts) -

The only thing missing is a 10Gb ethernet port.

#35 Posted by VACkillers (1059 posts) -

hehe yeah GaspoweR just for super computers, but I just loved the fact it was a 72-core cpu lol... redicilous if you ask me absolutely nothing on a regular desktop is going to use that for the next 15-20 years haha!! got enough power to launch 50 1960s space shuttle programs lol...