Famitsu Reveals Margaret As Playable. Act Surprised!

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

As some of you might remember, Margaret, Persona 4's lady in blue, was spotted in the Ultimax artwork. It was fairly obvious that we'd see her in the game, as a character significant to the story, or a playable fighter.

Well, Siliconera has reported that Famitsu Magazine has made it official.

Nothing is confirmed about the character yet, except that she'll use three persona, Yoshitsune, Cu Chulainn, and Ardha in combat.

No Caption Provided

Granted that this isn't much of a surprise, I'm still excited. I'm hoping she is somewhat of a polar opposite of Elizabeth, focusing on bringing your opponent closer for more setups rather than all her BnB's pushing the opponent to full screen.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So Dojima is next, right? They've added pretty much every other viable character from P3 and P4, so they better.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: There is a story about Dojima's consideration in the original game. I feel like the game will stick to Persona Users only, although a Dojima/Nanako tag team could be great is some twisted funny way.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already know about the Dojima/Nanko thing, but I really have no desire to see that happen. I just want to see Dojima himself kicking ass.

I used to believe they wouldn't consider adding any Persona-less characters to the game, but they already have a Persona-less version of Sho in the game, so that's clearly not a restriction anymore.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@zeik said:

I used to believe they wouldn't consider adding any Persona-less characters to the game, but they already have a Persona-less version of Sho in the game, so that's clearly not a restriction anymore.

Sho is not a normal person. Dojima is a normal person.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahem...

Oh my god! Margaret is playable?! Holy crap! I'm so surprised!

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

I hope it goes like Adachi and Marie and have Margaret free for the first week.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

Sho is not a normal person. Dojima is a normal person.

So? I only considered it an issue for mechanics reasons, since you needed your Persona for stuff like Bursts. But if they found a way around that for Sho there's no reason they can't do it for Dojima.

If we're talking about unrealistic match-ups they threw out that idea awhile ago. Even with a more combat focused Persona, Rise shouldn't be anywhere near the same skill level as the other characters. That's just one of those things you have to suspend your disbelief in a fighting game.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@zeik said:

So? I only considered it an issue for mechanics reasons, since you needed your Persona for stuff like Bursts. But if they found a way around that for Sho there's no reason they can't do it for Dojima.

If we're talking about unrealistic match-ups they threw out that idea awhile ago. Even with a more combat focused Persona, Rise shouldn't be anywhere near the same skill level as the other characters. That's just one of those things you have to suspend your disbelief in a fighting game.

Rise makes complete sense because her Persona changes from a support one to a combat one in the story, potentially with the help of Elizabeth. There is no suspension of disbelief required there, especially since Persona evolution has been a recurring element throughout the series, alongside the evolution of one's psyche.

Every single choice in P4AU's roster is based around narrative. This is why the Persona 3 main character is not a playable character, and why Dojima would be an idiotic inclusion (which Atlus themselves have stated).

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zeik

@fluxwavez said:

@zeik said:

Rise makes complete sense because her Persona changes from a support one to a combat one in the story, potentially with the help of Elizabeth. Every single choice in P4AU's roster is based around narrative. This is why the Persona 3 main character is not a playable character, and why Dojima would be an idiotic inclusion (which Atlus themselves have stated).

Like I said, a combat focused Persona doesn't suddenly make up for her complete lack of combat experience. Do you honestly think it's at all realistic that she could defeat anyone else on the roster with music and bitch-slaps just because her Persona can shoot lasers now? There's nothing realistic about any of this, which is fine, because it's a fighting game. If they want to suggest that Rise could beat Yu or Elizabeth in a fight then it's no more unreasonable to let Dojima in on the fun. And if the idea of having a Persona-less Dojima is in fact to farfetched then they can go ahead and give him a Persona. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to that either. All I want to do is beat down punks with Dojima.

Also Atlus only said the idea of a Dojima/Nanako pairing is idiotic, which I agree with. Dojima is too badass to be a joke character.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

Like I said, a combat focused Persona doesn't suddenly make up for her complete lack of combat experience. Do you honestly think it's at all realistic that she could defeat anyone else on the roster with music and bitch-slaps just because her Persona can shoot lasers now? There's nothing realistic about any of this, which is fine, because it's a fighting game. If they want to suggest that Rise could beat Yu or Elizabeth in a fight then it's no more unreasonable to let Dojima in on the fun.

If you're going to be that granular about it, how does it make sense that anyone on the roster can beat Elizabeth? Literally no one except for Yu should be able to stand up to her.

Balance/design issues are not what this is about, because if it were ASW could easily make a character like Dojima work. What this is about is the story and how they relate to character choices, which I really don't need to justify/discuss since it's been proven time and time again—from roster choices and from interviews—that a character needs to be relevant to the story in order to work. Again, the Persona 3 protagonist is magnitudes more popular than Dojima is, yet he isn't part of the roster even though he would be more viable from a design standpoint. Dojima being a fighter would be unreasonable in terms of the narrative unless he somehow gains a Persona or something similarly exceptional occurs, and the roster reflects that.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zeik

So you agree with me then, the game has been completely unrealistic from the start.

Dojima has plenty of narrative reason to be there, especially with Adachi back in action. That's more than enough reason for him to be there, and if they have to give him a Persona to justify it then they should do that. But I'd be perfectly happy to see him there without one too.

Minato is dead and he should stay dead.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@zeik said:

Um... aren't you arguing that the game is unrealistic, so it wouldn't matter? Why is death suddenly a barrier here?

And no, I do not agree with you, because I'm not talking about match-up viability. I don't need to agree, either, because Atlus is of the same mindset.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

Um... aren't you arguing that the game is unrealistic, so it wouldn't matter?

And no, I do not agree with you, because I'm not talking about match-up viability. I don't need to agree, either, because Atlus is of the same mindset.

I don't even care about realism at this point, I just think he should stay dead.

Also this is frankly a really stupid argument, because I don't actually care if you agree or not. I want to play him in the game and that's not going to change regardless of whether it happens or not.

But I do have a question, do we actually know that Sho is not a normal person? When you said that I was thinking Sho was the cold and inhuman version, but according to the website that's the one with the Persona. Other than being a skilled fighter and somehow being involved in all the evil business, my impression was that he was still just a person.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@zeik said:

But I do have a question, do we actually know that Sho is not a normal person? When you said that I was thinking Sho was the cold and inhuman version, but according to the website that's the one with the Persona. Other than being a skilled fighter and somehow being involved in all the evil business, my impression was that he was still just a person.

Sho is a Kirijo group experiment who has a Papillon Heart resonating from within him, who has been demonstrated to be superhuman as he can fight without a Persona (as the characters have stated and which corresponds to episode Tatsuya from P2:EP). He possibly has two entities living within him, with one of them being able to control a Persona. He is not a normal person and is no way like Dojima.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zeik

Alright fine, I didn't know he was that special.

Dojima should still be playable though. *flees*

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By syz

Dojima's persona can be a bottle of alcohol, because all he ever managed to do was drink and get outsmarted by teenagers.

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm reminded of a picture I saw once of someone's idea for what Dojima's shadow would have been, it was basically a horrible mass of car parts, police tape and his bloodied wife somewhere in the mix. It was pretty fucked up.
Anyway, discounting Dojima, still looks like I'm maining Chie. Although Stupei and Adachi are pretty tempting.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harpell said:

still looks like I'm maining Chie. Although Stupei and Adachi are pretty tempting.

But dude... Kanji's auto combo ground bounces now... How is everyone NOT planning to main Kanji?

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Harpell

@viciousbearmauling: How did I not hear of this?! I'm terrible with slower characters like him, but that sounds crazy as all hell.

ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harpell: Then again, Shadow Chie can link Power Charges and God Hands over and over amounting to like 80% damage.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Act surprised? Uh, OK.

GASP!

No, but seriously, it's cool to have confirmation that my favorite Velvet Room attendant is playable this time around.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harpell said:

still looks like I'm maining Chie. Although Stupei and Adachi are pretty tempting.

But dude... Kanji's auto combo ground bounces now... How is everyone NOT planning to main Kanji?

Kanji was already my main before and I have no plans to change now, but I still need to decide on a sub.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers