User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Uppercaseccc

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I, er... I presume that's a failed attempt at embedding a tweet? Could probably do with a little more... anything here. That said, it's surprising if true that Troy Baker isn't voicing Kanji. Guy seems like the type that sticks to his roles. But then, perhaps he feels his time is now worth more than for some remix (?) of a fighting game thing.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

@yummylee: Yeah a name would be nice, and Ultimax is definitely a sequel with an all new story mode that continues from where the original Arena ended.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ
Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His name is Matt Mencer who is currently voicing Levi in the Attack on Titan dub and voiced Tygra in the 2011 Thundercats reboot where I can kinda hear a Kanji like voice but man Kanji will never be the same. Also I've tried to edit this post 3 times now and non of it is sticking so fuck it just responding

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow every one getting replaced

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

maybe they didnt hire them to save money. they probably arent gonna be huge sellers and troy baker is probably getting more expensive by the day. i dont like it but i can understand.

more reason then ever to let persona 4 die after these last couple games though. I dont like change!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez: I believe a Nicole Karrer is Naoto's original VA. And Matthew Mercer, huh... a pretty good recast as he happens to sound an awful lot like Baker. There was a time where I thought was basically going to become the next in-line to be in every game ever since he carries that same style of voice, but he's not nearly as good of a voice actor as Baker or North. Though of course there's the possibility that he simply hasn't been given the right role to show what he's truly capable of yet... but as of now he's about on par with most anime/JRPG voice actors.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ
Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

um, there is only one Kanji voice. This upsets me way more than the David Hayter thing ever did.

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Us Chie fans already went through all of this.

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So apparently this isn't the first time Matt Mencer has voiced Kanji as he did it during episode 13-26 (according to wikipedia) of Persona 4 the animation so

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez said:

@yummylee said:

@fluxwavez: I believe a Nicole Karrer is Naoto's original VA.

No. Her VA is not known; that is fact.

lol oh... OK then.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

Never forget.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Corevi

@uppercaseccc: wait so THIS was Mercer?

Loading Video...

Suddenly everything is ok.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Isn't that Valirie Arem girl the one who voiced the mother in P4 Animation?

1. Naoto Shirogane's original (unknown) VA being replaced by Valerie Arem for PQ and P4AU
  2. Theodore's original VA (Travis Willingham) being replaced by Bryce Papenbrook for PQ and presumably P4AU
  3. Margaret's original VA (Michelle Ann Dunphy) being replaced by someone for PQ and P4AU
  4. Kanji Tatsumi's original VA (Troy Baker) being replaced by Matthew Mercer for PQ and P4AU

Nich Maragos of Atlus states that he is pretty sure these are all of the VA replacements for the upcoming Persona games.

Isn't that Valirie Arem girl the one who voiced the mother in P4 Animation?
Matthew Mercer did a pretty decent Kanji in the P4 Animation, so that's cool.
No Michelle Ann Dunphy is a total bummer, I gotta be honest.
Not really familiar with Theodore so I can't care too much.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zeik

I hate to say it, but I'm suddenly way less excited for this game. Teddie getting replaced was bad enough, but Kanji too? If that means I don't get to hear Troy Baker yelling at people while I'm beating them up anymore this game just isn't what I want it to be.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uppercaseccc: wait so THIS was Mercer?

Suddenly everything is ok.

God damn it I love Laura Bailey.

...but not enough to get over the fact that Yu sounds identical to Adachi.

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Uppercaseccc

@corruptedevil: according to Wikipedia ya but who knows with wikipedia man

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

I hate to say it, but I'm suddenly way less excited for this game. Teddie getting replaced was bad enough, but Kanji too? If that means I don't get to hear Troy Baker yelling at people while I'm beating them up anymore this game just isn't as special anymore.

You will, actually. The way they handled Naoto's in-game battle VA is that most of her lines are of her original VA's from the first Persona 4 Arena, however a few new lines—alongside some of her new moves, for example—are of the new voice actor's. They will most likely operate the same way with Kanji in P4AU, so most of his in-game battle VA will still be Troy Baker's.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

I hate to say it, but I'm suddenly way less excited for this game. Teddie getting replaced was bad enough, but Kanji too? If that means I don't get to hear Troy Baker yelling at people while I'm beating them up anymore this game just isn't as special anymore.

You will, actually. The way they handled Naoto's in-game battle VA is that most of her lines are of her original VA's from the first Persona 4 Arena, however a few new lines—alongside some of her new moves, for example—are of the new voice actor's. They will most likely operate the same way with Kanji in P4AU, so most of his in-game battle VA will still be Troy Baker's.

Well, I suppose as long as the new lines aren't jarringly different I could live with that. I suppose. It still means he won't be there for the new story though, which is still a bummer.

When the game was announced there was a (not so) small part of me hoping they'd actually get Dave Wittenberg back as Teddie and everything would be perfect. I didn't even consider it might go in the other direction. :/

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez: I more worried about Q now personal when it come to Naoto because Kanjis replacement semmes fine but I don't know if the Naoto will sound like Naoto in Q guess well have to wait and see

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm still hyped for these games but the news that Naoto's been replaced is god-damn heartbreaking. Her and Kanji's new voices are the reason I didn't finish the second half English dub of the anime. I'm slightly attached to those voice actors.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Kanji was apparently changed halfway through the anime dub and I never noticed that, so it's probably fine.

Naoto though... I wouldn't be as worried if they just used Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Loading Video...

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Benny

GET BENT

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm a little bummed about Naoto, but whatever. If I can put up with the musical chairs of voice actors/actresses that is BlazBlue, I can put up with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Man this is kind of a super bummer. At this point these games are barley the original cast. Like we have Yukiko but... you know Yukiko.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Superkenon

As much as I like Troy Baker, Matthew Mercer is another one of the good ones. And he can sound damn similar at times. That one should be fine.

I'm more trepidatious about Naoto's VO change. I've never heard Valerie Arem in anything, so I don't know what to think there. But I really liked the old "mystery" actress. She played the part well, despite the incredibly awkward, wordy lines they write for her. Also I thought it was way awesome and appropriate that Naoto's VO is this crazy secret.

dammit who let papenbrook in here

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

After watching/playing Persona 4, and hearing that Tracey Rooney wouldn't be voicing Chie in any subsequent material, I had to make a clean brake from caring about any Persona 4 related media. That's the downside to having such a pitch-perfect voice cast as P4 did: any changes whatsoever became a deal breaker for me.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sucks. I;m more focused on P5 at this point.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Michelle Ruff doesn't reprise her role as Yukari, I would be hugely disappointed at this game...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@solh0und said:

If Michelle Ruff doesn't reprise her role as Yukari, I would be hugely disappointed at this game...

Again, Nich Maragos confirmed that the VA replacements that are now known should be the only ones. Specifically regarding Yukari, Michelle Ruff is reprising her role for future Persona products:

No Caption Provided

Same with Vic Mignogna who is reprising his role as Junpei Iori and Mona Marshall who is reprising her role as Ken Amada. The only Persona 3 related P3 replacement is Theodore's.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#34 jeanluc  Staff

@solh0und said:

I've watched some video of her arcade mode in English and it certainly sounded like her.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Solh0und
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I had no idea that Troy Baker didn't voice Kanji in P4A, but then again I think the voice direction for the english dub was... kinda not great? For as much as I love the bizarre choice of Johnny Young Bosch talking to himself (another reason why including Adachi in P4AU is so great), it wasn't enough for me to watch more than a few episodes in english.

Sorta bummed about Troy Baker being replaced (for whatever reason), but Matthew Mercer sounds pretty similar anyways. Not nearly as jarring as when they changed Chie's voice. At least they still got all of the P3 cast.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@arbitrarywater said:

I had no idea that Troy Baker didn't voice Kanji in P4A, but then again I think the voice direction for the english dub was... kinda not great?

Troy Baker voiced Kanji in P4A.

Edit: Oh wait, sorry, I missed that you were talking about the anime. Acronyms...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smcn: The way I think of it is that Adachi is Yu's shadow (not literally but metaphorically), which is why he sounds like him and has the same persona.

Wiseblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Wiseblood

Troy Baker still voiced Kanji in the first season of the anime. Matt Mercer did the second season because Troy was on his honeymoon at the time.

Kinda bummed about this news. Troy Baker is amazing as Kanji, and while her "pretending to be a boy" voice wasn't very convincing I thought whoever voiced Naoto did a great job.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#40  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@fluxwavez said:

@arbitrarywater said:

I had no idea that Troy Baker didn't voice Kanji in P4A, but then again I think the voice direction for the english dub was... kinda not great?

Troy Baker voiced Kanji in P4A.

Edit: Oh wait, sorry, I missed that you were talking about the anime. Acronyms...

Totally blanked that P4A could also stand for Persona 4 Arena. Thanks Japan.

@wiseblood Ohhhhhhh. Okay, that makes sense.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Troy Baker will always be Kanji in my heart. Also I was the original voice of Naoto and now you all know my secret.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 37

I love Persona 4 to death, but this is just one more reason why I'm excited that Persona 5 is coming. It's time to let Persona 4 ride off into the sunset with Ultimax. If they do another Persona 4 spin-off in the future, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.

It's important to remember that Persona 3 and Persona 4 came out only one year apart. Now, Atlus is milking those two franchises like none other.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It's time to let Persona 4 ride off into the sunset with Ultimax. If they do another Persona 4 spin-off in the future, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.

Remember Persona 4: Dancing All Night, which would be the last of the upcoming spin-offs in both North America and Japan.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The others I could deal with but Troy is a deal breaker. I'll probably sell my copy of Persona Q since I pre-ordered it at a discount.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck this forever

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

This just makes me anticipate a persona 5 all the more. Time to move on.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Unsold on this game.

DeadeyeMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had a bad feeling that exactly this was going to happen. I mean, Baker's kind of a big-shot now, right?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had a bad feeling that exactly this was going to happen. I mean, Baker's kind of a big-shot now, right?

You might say he's currently the biggest shot in video game VA.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pyrodactyl

@wumbo3000 said:

It's time to let Persona 4 ride off into the sunset with Ultimax. If they do another Persona 4 spin-off in the future, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.

Remember Persona 4: Dancing All Night, which would be the last of the upcoming spin-offs in both North America and Japan.

If they don't resolve the Elizabeth/P3 MC and mystery villain storylines in ultimax they'll have to come back to it at some point. I've always felt like the implications for the persona universe they unveiled in P4A were way too big to resolve them in the visual novel part of a fighting game. We'll have to see at TGS if they talk more about P5.