#1 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Ok Dengeki has the first small details in their new issue.

The setting is indeed High-school like in the other persona games as well but the tone is said to be completely different. What ever that means. Maybe more realistic in terms of the Japanese Education system.

The theme is about the emotion of joy after overcoming trials therefore the chairs and chains in the trailer.

They say that Persona 5 is a RPG with the message of expressing the emotional catharsis in the shout of joy made after overcoming your trials and finally being set free of your chains. I would say that the theory about it being about pressure and stress from the Japanese school system is probably a very good guess

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722992

Personally I am a bit disappointed that it is not set in a university setting but given the huge sucess of Persona 4 it would be a bit naive to think that this will happen.. None or less I am very interested to see the tone shift. If it is indeed more like the real japanese school and education system it could be very stressful and also grim. But we will see I guess.

#2 Posted by SteadyingMeat (1110 posts) -

Glad to hear it's still in some kind of school. I never really doubted it, but ehhh.

#3 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

Was hoping they would move past the anime trope of hero kids save the world, but I'm not surprised. After P4 blowing up the way it did I figured they wouldn't do anything too drastic.

#4 Edited by Hailinel (23846 posts) -

Was hoping they would move past the anime trope of hero kids save the world, but I'm not surprised. After P4 blowing up the way it did I figured they wouldn't do anything too drastic.

Persona has always revolved around high schoolers. If you really want something else, you should probably look elsewhere.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (9567 posts) -

The setting is that I are slave.

#6 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1426 posts) -

I wonder what exactly they mean when they say "the tone is different". Do they mean different from the cheery nature of Persona 4 (ie. more like Persona 3), or different from any game in the series thus far? Whatever it really means, I see it only a good thing. I had envisioned a scenario where Persona 5 stuck too close to Persona 4 in most aspects because of how successful that game, its spin off, remake, and anime have been. Really glad the early indication is that this won't be the case.

#7 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

@hailinel: As I said, was just hoping they might change the formula up some this time around. It's a trope I got bored of real quick from watching anime a lot and playing a lot of JRPGs.

#8 Posted by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

@crusader8463: Well, at least it's an actual Japanese high school instead of some dumb Balamb Garden shit. That's way worse!

#9 Edited by Marokai (2805 posts) -

I expected a school, though I was holding out a silly hope for it to be set in a prison or something ridiculous.

#10 Posted by Nasar7 (2595 posts) -

@crusader8463: Well, at least it's an actual Japanese high school instead of some dumb Balamb Garden shit. That's way worse!

Are you saying FF VIII would be better if it took place in a real-world Japanese high school?

#11 Posted by afabs515 (1009 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@crusader8463 said:

Persona has always revolved around high schoolers. If you really want something else, you should probably look elsewhere.

I was personally kind of hoping for a college thing this time around. Although that could be because I was in high school when P4 came out and in college now, and I want to identify with the characters more. Probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it might have been an interesting change. That's why I don't make JRPGs I guess.

#12 Posted by Apsup (38 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@crusader8463 said:

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment says you are wrong. Well, parts of it kinda revolve around high schoolers, but at least the main character is a working woman.

#13 Edited by von_wemberg (160 posts) -

@nasar7: Any game would be better, if it took place in a real-world Japanese high school.

#14 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

Glad it's still high school. Glad the tone will be completely different from the previous games.

#15 Edited by Flappy (2123 posts) -

Nothing feels better than passing an exam and clobbering your evil principal all in the same afternoon.

Sweet, sweet release.

#16 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

The midnight channel equivalent will be those awful stress dreams where you're late to class/forgot an assignment/whatever.

Is it at all weird they're announcing the 'message' of the story? isn't that the one thing we should find out on our own? It's not even a hype-building selling point, like they tried to do with the suicide-yness of mass effect 2. very odd.

#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

Is it at all weird they're announcing the 'message' of the story? isn't that the one thing we should find out on our own? It's not even a hype-building selling point, like they tried to do with the suicide-yness of mass effect 2. very odd.

I don't think it's weird at all. Themes are one of the most important and forefront elements of Persona games, so leading with that to give us an idea of what the game might entail is to be expected, especially when they combine it with the fact that it will be unlike the other games in tone.

#18 Posted by bigjeffrey (4768 posts) -

if it was not in a high school i'd be disappointed.

#19 Posted by Superkenon (1379 posts) -

I need more.

#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

More info:

Dengeki Hashino Katsura Interview

- Persona 5 started development after Catherine’s ended in August 2011.

- At that time they wanted to develop it for the mobile. (I think here he means portables (Vita/PSP) than mobile phone.)

- However, they realised that majority of the fans/players wanted HD, so they decided on developing it for HD machines (aka PS3) instead.

- There is a hint hidden in the 5 chairs and chains. (god knows what they are.)

- They are aware that a lot of people are hoping that Persona 5 can be released on the next generation machines (AKA PS4), however they have very limited development resources and are unable to do it. (Understandable, considering they were almost on the brink of disappearing because of Index. DAMN YOU INDEX.)

- The specs for PS4 are wonderful.

- There will be more information for P5, at the start of next year.

Glad they realized most of their fans would take PS3 over Vita. Also interesting to realize they considered PS4, but won't be able to bring it to the platform.

#21 Posted by Superkenon (1379 posts) -

@fluxwavez: You're always there for me.

Welp. Start the countdown for 2014.

#22 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

I'm glad they decided against mobile (or handheld or whatever). Being limited to PS3 is unfortunate though, since the PS4 can't play PS3 games. Hopefully it works out for Atlus.

#23 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@fluxwavez: Nice^^

As for PS4. Sony said you should tweet them so they know what games they want to have on PS4. So maybe that is a way after P5 is done^^

Also so glad they decided to go console instead of mobile/handheld. So so happy.

#24 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2903 posts) -

Very cool details, minor as they are.

Did anyone else get a moderny, slick, crime vibe from the trailer? Maybe it's High Pressure Traditional Japanese School meets Crime meets Persona.

#25 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2132 posts) -

So, I guess we'll finally be able to commit real suicide in this one.

#26 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

So, I guess we'll finally be able to commit real suicide in this one.

I do not know if you could do it but if it this tone and theme than someone surely will in this game.

#27 Edited by Zeik (2206 posts) -

@apsup said:

@hailinel said:

@crusader8463 said:

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment says you are wrong. Well, parts of it kinda revolve around high schoolers, but at least the main character is a working woman.

Eternal Punishment is a weird outlier, as it's the only direct sequel in the series and almost the entire cast has some relationship with the original cast of Innocent Sin, which was almost all high-schoolers. If it wasn't for that (and the way Innocent Sin ended) I don't think that game would exist the way it does.

#28 Posted by DonutFever (3549 posts) -

@fluxwavez said:

- There will be more information for P5, at the start of next year.

START THE WAR CLOCK

#29 Posted by Willin (1279 posts) -

I am such a bitch for Atlus. They got me over the pool table and I'm completely fine with it.

#30 Posted by MannyMAR (404 posts) -

The setting is indeed High-school like in the other persona games as well but the tone is said to be completely different.

Maybe the protagonist is a teacher... yeah that would be amazing.

#31 Edited by Aegon (5393 posts) -

I'm guessing the tone is rebellious. The image of chains and "being set free" makes it seem like that for me.

#32 Edited by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

So....no Labrys?

I am sad.

#33 Posted by bigjeffrey (4768 posts) -
#34 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

Some more info from the interview:

Earlier today, we got new details from a Dengeki PlayStation magazine report on Atlus’ upcoming Persona 5, which talked about how the game will be an RPG that sends a strong message of catharsis, after overcoming trials to free yourself from your shackles. Further updates from the magazine report have now surfaced.

According to Dengeki PlayStation, the characters of Persona 5 will be living the hard lives of modern-day society, where each one of them will be restrained by something. Atlus are working on a story that can allow players to experience a new world, along with a new sense of values, together with characters who will bring out a strong sense of reality.

As previously reported, the game will take place in the series’ usual juvenile school setting, but with a different mood; however, Atlus emphasizes that although Persona 5 will have a different mood, they aim to make it into a new game that will still provide a feeling of reassurance to the fans of the series.

While Atlus’ characteristics will be present in Persona 5, another one of their goals is to have players feel passion, cry and laugh, then finally feel a sense of elation when all is said and done.

#35 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@fluxwavez: This sounds great. But Japanese school life can be very tragic and terrifying. I really wonder how far they will go with all this. But I am all for emotions.

#36 Posted by roninenix (119 posts) -

So we'll be seeing the casts of P3 and P4 in college, per cameos

#37 Edited by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -