No more fooling around. When's Persona 5's _real_ unveiling?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

It can come out no later than December of this year in Japan.

Persona 3 was unveiled in Famitsu (with character art and gameplay specifics) in March 2006 and released in July 2006 (5 month gap).

Persona 4 was unveiled in Famitsu in March 2008 and released in July 2008 (5 month gap).

We have practically nothing on persona 5 other than the "feeling" the developers want the game to give off.

August to December is five months. That's math, folks. Real math. So it's practically GUARANTEED (Atlus please...) that we'll see something visual from Persona 5 in the August issue of Famitsu.

But seriously, anyone else getting antsy? Wanna place some friendly bets on when we'll see something?

As for what counts as a reveal, let's say it's the moment we get to see at least one character, whether in video or image format.

TGS is in september, so that also seems like a plausible time and space for some P5.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

meh, let them take their time, persona 4 i would consider to be one of the best rpgs of the last 10 years, so im good. let them create a worthy sequel.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By slyspider

My bets are on TGS, but going from p3 to p4 and p4 to p5 is going to be a huge step. New system, engine, and hopefully gameplay

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'ld say TGS. Real question is: when does it come to the West?

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Persona 4 came out 6 years ago. So yes, I AM READY FOR SOMETHING NEW. I do hope the delay between Japanese and NA release is small to nonexistent.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

In 5 minutes.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I hope they don't release it in Japan, or have a worldwide release instead, and don't say one damn thing about it and just ship it out. That way I don't have to disconnect from the internet for probably the better part of a year to avoid getting spoiled while they localize it. Granted, I played P4 years after its release and should've known better, but people are still jerks. Trying to avoid Danganronpa 2 spoilers is hard enough.

But yeah, we'll probably get an info dump at TGS.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

In a recent Story Piece, Shigenori Soejima, has said that news on Persona 5 is coming "pretty soon."

My guess is TGS, but they could show off a new teaser trailer to get people hyped for what they could show on TGS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just give me some art work of random characters and a few in game screenshots of persona's and I'll be happy. And hopefully release it close to parity with the Japanese launch so no spoilers?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd expect to see some stuff at TGS and/or an upcoming Famitsu. If it's still coming out this year then they have to do it pretty soon.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Persona 5 Forever. Oh gosh, I shouldn't jinx it.

Now that I think of it, was this teaser the last time we heard/saw anything of P5 at all?
Now that I think of it, was this teaser the last time we heard/saw anything of P5 at all?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aegon

@equitasinvictus: Pretty much. There was an interview without any info about the gameplay, visuals or story specifics. They were just talking about the theme of the game. Also, what @stealthmaster86 said kind of counts as well.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

The next news we hear about the game will be that it's delayed. #Callin'It

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InternetDotCom

We are proud to announce that Persona 5 is a free to play MOBA

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am slave. Want release date.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

TGS, same with Bloodborne and The Last Guardian.

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still really bummed it doesn't come for PS4. I'll have to ask if anyone I know can borrow me their PS3 and go rent the damn game, and that means stressin to finish it.

:(

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herk: You won't beat it in a week I guarantee it.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5 is a FPS rogue like like like like

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xyzygy

I don't understand how their games don't get leaked. We know literally nothing of the characters, setting, style, anything. Other than the chairs and the ball and chain. Kudos to Atlus for someone being able to keep this under wraps but come on. Give us something soon!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are slave. Persona 5 will not be getting english localization because we own you and you will do what we say regardless. In the meantime, Catherine 2: Electric Boogaloo will hit worldwide 2015 on ps3 and Wii.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are slave. Persona 5 will not be getting english localization because we own you and you will do what we say regardless. In the meantime, Catherine 2: Electric Boogaloo will hit worldwide 2015 on ps3 and Wii.

I'd be okay with that, Catherine was really good.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: You can loan games at our library for two weeks but yeah, still a pretty rough time to beat a huge rpg in. I'm gonna find some way to play this game though.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Hunter5024

I'm so eager to get some news that their silence is getting pretty frustrating to me. TGS is so long from now! I really hope it's the August Famitsu, I don't need much, just gimme something!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'll agree with everyone else and say TGS.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but do you really want, or think it needs a sequel?

Not necessarily, but another game like that with completely different characters would be cool.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

Japanese preview information for recent Persona games has been coming in waves, meaning that the closest game to release is the one that gets the lion share of online and magazine coverage. So far, this has been true with both Persona Q and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax; January-ish to June was mostly Persona Q time leading up to that game's June release with a bunch of mini-trailers and preview articles and now since May-ish onward, the console port of Persona 4 Arena Ultimax has been getting that same level of attention. That game comes out late August in Japan, so if Atlus continues that pattern, I would expect that Dancing All Night would be the next game to start getting heavily marketed, possibly starting a few weeks before Ultimax's release.

What happens from there, I'm less sure of. Atlus has traditionally not had much of a TGS presence, most likely because a lot of their games don't demo particularly well in that sort of environment. Catherine was the one major exception in recent years from what I can recall, but most everything else that had a long enough period between announcement and release to overlap with a TGS, I believe, hasn't been there. Persona 5 could be an exception, but I also think that the brand cachet is large enough over there that they can get away with it being a no-show and, if they really are still intent on a winter 2014 release in Japan, unveiling stuff on their own time. Knowing that history, I would honestly peg Dancing All Night to be the more likely TGS appearance if I had to choose only one. And I think for the sheer sake of keeping public attention focused squarely on one game at a time, Atlus is probably not going to promote Persona 5 simultaneously with Dancing All Night, or at least not until the end of the latter game's campaign. I feel like it'd just be really easy for them to deflate the anticipation for Dancing All Night with people who might only have a casual interest in the series if they're being immediately reminded that a sequel is coming up as well.

Hard to say, but that's my bet as the guy who's been subtitling and translating a lot of the preview material related to the series this year thus far. Honestly, I'd also love it if Atlus just kind of released it without much warning and made people figure out for themselves what it was. I know I'm going to buy it one way or another and I miss those days of picking up a game and just having to trust based on the name it's good. But that's just me~

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By FluxWaveZ

High likelihood that Persona 5 will be a 2015 release in Japan. Recall: Winter 2010 release for Catherine = February 2011 release in Japan:

No Caption Provided

"Winter 2014" actually means "Mid-December 2014 to March 2015", so a February/March 2015 release for Persona 5 in Japan would be correct. This would leave them more time to start advertising, after they're mostly done with it for P4D.

Soejima has recently said that we should have more Persona 5 news soon, though, so who knows when "soon" means.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soejima has recently said that we should have more Persona 5 news soon, though, so who knows when "soon" means.

Well, that sounds better than the Last Guardian team's "as soon as we can" motto.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

As hyped as I am for a new Persona, I'm going to be pretty satisfied for a while with P4AU and Persona Q.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By soimadeanaccount

When it does come out, play it as soon as possible or wait for the P5FES/Golden edition?

Not bashing them for repackage with new content, just from a player perspective I prefer to play the fullest version of a game, especially a story heavy RPG, for my first time through it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soimadeanaccount: I'm going to play it at release because I need it. Will probably regret it when Persona 5: Ball and Chain Edition for the PS4 gets announced though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TGS announcement, mid-2015 release in Japan, late 2015 release in the West. If you can't wait, don't worry! There's another P4 spinoff coming out today! And tomorrow! And the day after that! And every fucking day until the end of time!

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soimadeanaccount: Well, considering Persona 4 Golden was released 3 and half years after the original, waiting for a re-release of Persona 5 seems insane. The wait is already unbearable, tacking on potentially several years doesn't sound too appealing.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aegon

Famitsu got a "big scoop" for next week. @fluxwavez has already weighed in his thoughts on the matter in the neoGAF thread, but no matter.

#persona5hypetrain commencing.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

Famitsu got a "big scoop" for next week. @fluxwavez has already weighed in his thoughts on the matter in the neoGAF thread, but no matter.

No Caption Provided

Hey, psssst, I got some hot scoops. Atlus leaked it to me.

No Caption Provided

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bigjeffrey

it better be emo as fuck, i want some slit your wrist to summon person shit

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pekoe212 said:

Persona 4 came out 6 years ago. So yes, I AM READY FOR SOMETHING NEW. I do hope the delay between Japanese and NA release is small to nonexistent.

Really it was 6 years ago? -_-

Thanks now I feel old as shite.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Why do I want this to be real?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

GOTY!!! GOTY!!! GAME OF THE FUCKING YEAR!!!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Well I hope to God that we do see something soon. I really want to know something a little more concrete than just my own presumptions based off a piece of art and text. I'm just glad I'll have PQ to hold me off until it's release in NA next year.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@aegon said:

No Caption Provided

Somebody in that thread said "Final Fantasy 7 remake for mobile", which might be the most well observed troll suggestion I've ever seen.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle said:

I'ld say TGS. Real question is: when does it come to the West?

The translation timeline for Atlus US in the past has been roughly 6 months for new games of this scale. But it also would not surprise me if it was a lot closer since it at least feels like persona is a bigger deal then it used to be.