• 56 results
Vertrucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vertrucio

So reading around the internet, specifically gaf, and listening to the Persona fan cast. There seems to be indications that a PS4 version of Persona 5 is in the works, but they didn't announce it for some reason, likely having to do with the state of publisher support for cross gen development, since the whole deal with Index Holdings folding.

This comes by way of posts by confirmed insiders, specifically related to ones in Sony. Who was posting info about PS4 specific reveals at the upcoming Atlus livestream, then saying that it wasn't happening as expected, but that the PS4 version

My personal opinion agrees with S-Link FM podcast where, system wars aside, is that any of the new gen systems would make for a better experience overall since the OS on both XB1 and PS4 are so much better. They wouldn't even need to try and make the graphics prettier technically, since the Persona series has always relied more on anime stylized characters and world geometry. I suppose having better hardware could help them really push for in-game graphics that look as good as the 2D anime cinematics. But if you look at other games, you hardly need new gen systems for that if games like Ni No Kuni are evidence.

Also interesting are the bigger social aspects of new gen consoles, which will be interesting to utilize given the nature of these games. Much needed features like the suspend and resume coming to the PS4 and already on the XB1 will be great if Atlus decides to make P5 a traditional save point based game. If something comes up during play, or a particularly dangerous floor of the dungeon, you can just suspend the game indefinitely until you have time to resume and get to a save point.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zeik

Source? I can't take a rumor like this at face value, especially considering I feel like I remember hearing them specifically shoot down the idea of it happening.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Hashino's words:

- They are aware that a lot of people are hoping that Persona 5 can be released on the next generation machines (AKA PS4), however they have very limited development resources and are unable to do it. (Understandable, considering they were almost on the brink of disappearing because of Index. DAMN YOU INDEX.)

Vertrucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, I did some more digging on my own after hearing it on the podcasts, which you'd assume would have done more digging. There's no other info on the side which corroborates this, and things have gone quiet. Could still happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

That said, my reasons for wanting a PS4 version still stand, but I'll try to delete or have this thread I made locked to prevent further confusion.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ps3 is fine.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hashino's words:

- They are aware that a lot of people are hoping that Persona 5 can be released on the next generation machines (AKA PS4), however they have very limited development resources and are unable to do it. (Understandable, considering they were almost on the brink of disappearing because of Index. DAMN YOU INDEX.)

This makes a lot of sense.

Persona 5 will maybe come out on next gen AFTER the initial release on PS3. Then again, I wouldn't care because I would play that game on launch day no question, not worth the wait for next gen ports.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By StarvingGamer

Not unless Shu money-hats the fuck out of Atlus/Sega.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Also, "industry insider" words on Persona 5 have been absolutely useless every single time. There is 100% no indication whatsoever that a PS4 plan is in the works at all.

I'm looking at things at face value, which has been pretty good for me so far, so in my mind the game's coming to PS3 and there is no reason to believe it will come to anything else at launch right now.

Vertrucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, a lot of it revolves around 2 things, financial support from its holding company, previously Index, now Sega, then the sales of the PS4. The PS4 seems to be selling well, no Japanese release yet, but everywhere else has gone really well. And with Sega owning Atlus, it means you have a company that's more aware of the overall gaming market, and they might not pass up a chance for a solid hit on the PS4 to get their name out there.

You can bet that they entertained the idea early on, but we're talking about a game that's been in dev for a few years now. A lot of stuff gets looked at in games dev and dropped. But years ago the PS4 was a complete unknown, now it's here.

At this point it's wishful thinking, but it would be nice, for the reasons I posted.

Before anyone continues with more banal PS3 is fine posts. Yes, we know it will be fine on PS3, no one is arguing that.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets say a PS4 version is way more realistic than a 360 or Xbox one version. Also if you really want a PS4 version you can tweet Sony officials and asking for that. They already said they will listen to requests. So If they finance this it really should be no problem after P5 was released.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope not. more development and versions means a possiblity of more time it taking to get released here. no thanks

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i hope not. more development and versions means a possiblity of more time it taking to get released here. no thanks

What if they released the PS3 version and then worked on a PS4 "Ultimate" version to come a year later? Would that be cool with you?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets start tweeting adam boyes !!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like you're basing this off hear-say. No thanks

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are people so hung up on this? Atlus is not a big group and dedicating a ton of resources to developing a for a new console would have been ridiculous for them. They had experience on PS3 and the had the tools for that system, so they went with that route. It isn't foreign to them. Hell P4 was on PS2 and no one complained because it wasn't a big deal and they understood that Atlus had to use what tools they had. Why do you think they kept making games on the DS, PSP and 3DS? Because they don't have the resources to just go ahead and develop on more expensive consoles with higher dev costs, and they make due with what they have to make great games. Now that they have some more resources thanks to Sega they expand a little more with what they got, but with a game in one of their top franchises, they are going to make it on what they know works rather than risk releasing a possibly inferior game on a game with a smaller dedicated user base for their games.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont care if I have to play it on a handheld just bring it to the states so I dont have to learn japanese.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neoepoch: I have no problem with it being on the PS3 (and I probably won't even get a PS4 for awhile), but I can certainly understand why people want to see it on the PS4 and I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting that. It's only the people who act like it being on the PS3 is unacceptable and won't play it unless it goes next-gen that are being ridiculous,

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slyspider said:

I dont care if I have to play it on a handheld just bring it to the states so I dont have to learn japanese.

Why would it need to be on a handheld to come to the states? That would be exponentially more costly than just localizing the PS3 version.

I don't think there's any need to worry about this being localized though. If any Atlus game is going to get localized it's Persona 5.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think there's really zero chance it's a PS4 game on the initial release.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neoepoch said:

Why are people so hung up on this? Atlus is not a big group and dedicating a ton of resources to developing a for a new console would have been ridiculous for them. They had experience on PS3 and the had the tools for that system, so they went with that route. It isn't foreign to them. Hell P4 was on PS2 and no one complained because it wasn't a big deal and they understood that Atlus had to use what tools they had. Why do you think they kept making games on the DS, PSP and 3DS? Because they don't have the resources to just go ahead and develop on more expensive consoles with higher dev costs, and they make due with what they have to make great games. Now that they have some more resources thanks to Sega they expand a little more with what they got, but with a game in one of their top franchises, they are going to make it on what they know works rather than risk releasing a possibly inferior game on a game with a smaller dedicated user base for their games.

Indy guys can port their games in a few weeks with way less people. There is nothing really time consuming to display it in 1080P and 60 FPS instead of 720P for example. No one is asking for a HUGE graphical upgrade^^

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

Indy guys can port their games in a few weeks with way less people. There is nothing really time consuming to display it in 1080P and 60 FPS instead of 720P for example. No one is asking for a HUGE graphical upgrade^^

What if you're underestimating the logitstics behind a PS4 up-port? Especially for a retail release.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Name one indy project on the PS4 that's even remotely as big or complex as a Persona game.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Darji

@darji said:

What if you're underestimating the logitstics behind a PS4 up-port? Especially for a retail release.

WE already heard people that needed 2 weeks for running it on PS4 and that with only 2 people. Of course polishing is a different matter but we are talking here about something like 1080P and 60 fps instead of 720P resolution. That should not be really hard. Also why retail release? make it all digital as PS4 version^^

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zeik

Also keep in mind that most of these indies are porting from PC to PS4, not PS3 to PS4.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More important topic:

who still cares about a japanese dating sim?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kadash299 said:

More important topic:

I'm sure someone somewhere still cares about a Japanese dating sim.

Tons of people care about Persona 5 though.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More important topic:

I do.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mrfluke

i wouldnt doubt itill come to ps4, because itill give the persona series some more exposure as year 1 of a console people are hungry to play anything, that tactic is how the elder scrolls series became reallyy popular, cause oblivion launched within the 1st year and morrowind did as well on the original xbox. ,

but i also wouldn't be surprised if it stays on ps3.

need some more credible information to go off of before making big assumptions,

i think you see dark souls 2 on ps4 before persona if anything, as Shu said that the souls games inspired some of the ps4's UI design.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Just up the resolution nob and put it out on everything guys c'mon. Shitty lazy devs.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I feel the exact same way as Vinny, but unfortunately it probably won't happen. As long as they provide DS4 support on Ps3 for Persona 5 then I'll be fine. The short cord isn't really a problem for me given I sit fairly close to my consoles when playing games.

Vertrucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vertrucio

On porting. As a indie dev, I have to say that port complexity comes down to engine complexity. If you make the engine well, you port the engine to the PS4 (which is apparently pretty easy to so) and the rest of the content follows pretty well. You'll always have to make more specific tweaks for problem areas, especially if you're adding anything for a port, such as increasing graphical fidelity somehow.

But overall, much larger games doesn't always mean an exponential increase in port difficulty. What it does mean is that there's a potential for drastically longer porting time, but only if you've been sloppy with making the base game.

The reason why AAA games with AAA level graphics have such trouble with ports is that they tend to make very specific optimizations for each platform, doing crazy low level stuff to get things to run fast despite all the pretty effects. Persona has never been a game where they rely on those effects too much, so less reliance on these costlier things means less console specific tweaks to port.

I strongly suspect that Sony now has APIs in place for going from PS3 to PS4, as evidenced by a bunch of PS3 titles from thatgamecompany going to PS4 cross-play. And even if they don't, it's still a good example of the above process.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine either way, my PS3 isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but if it gets released on PS4 I'll probably play it there.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More important topic:

Everyone.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 maybe, Xbone, no chance in hell. Atlus made games have sold like garbage on the 360.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bigjeffrey
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@fluxwavez said:

Hashino's words:

This makes a lot of sense.

Persona 5 will maybe come out on next gen AFTER the initial release on PS3. Then again, I wouldn't care because I would play that game on launch day no question, not worth the wait for next gen ports.

I think it's far more likely your Golden or FES equivalent ends up on the PS4 rather than just a straight port of the game. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if all this was horseshit and it never came out on the PS4.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dancinginfernal
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Too bad this is fake because it would've been amazing if I beat Hailinel and FluxWaveZ only a day later.

I wouldn't rule out a ps4 version down the line, but I think there are more likely platforms.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably just as likely as a Persona HD collection 3+4+5 @ 1080p.

That is to say probably not likely.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know people are excited for the new console and want to put it to use and all but lets be realistic here. This is Atlus, not EA. I am not sure they have 100 people working for them(I don't know) even if we were to include Atlus USA. My point is, I would rather this game come out polish as fuck and content complete, than have it port to 5 different console and have it turn out like COD or something because you know, fuck that unpolished mess.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know people are excited for the new console and want to put it to use and all but lets be realistic here. This is Atlus, not EA. I am not sure they have 100 people working for them(I don't know) even if we were to include Atlus USA. My point is, I would rather this game come out polish as fuck and content complete, than have it port to 5 different console and have it turn out like COD or something because you know, fuck that unpolished mess.

But no one is saying at the same time. At least I think no one does. Just port a special edition after you are done shipping the game. Honestly I would buy it twice XD

Oh and please release Golden as a PS3 digital game. I do not want to buy a Vita^^

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By PandaBear

So reading around the internet, specifically gaf, and listening to the Persona fan cast. There seems to be indications that a PS4 version of Persona 5 is in the works, but they didn't announce it for some reason, likely having to do with the state of publisher support for cross gen development, since the whole deal with Index Holdings folding.

That is your source? Geezus.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The amount of Atlus and/or Sony "insiders" on gaf is alarmingly large. I can't take anything that's been spoken on the Persona community thread there seriously. And the amount of weight other people over there put on the words of those insiders is scary. "Well this guy hinted at this and the other thing so I'm drawing this conclusion."

It's a scary place.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@parsnip said:

It's a scary place.

To say the least. GAF is full of creeps.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@parsnip said:

The amount of Atlus and/or Sony "insiders" on gaf is alarmingly large. I can't take anything that's been spoken on the Persona community thread there seriously. And the amount of weight other people over there put on the words of those insiders is scary. "Well this guy hinted at this and the other thing so I'm drawing this conclusion."

It's a scary place.

There's an insider by the name of "famousmortimer" who seriously knows his stuff. He won't act like a "crazy buttocks on the train" like prophet and when he says something with full certainty, I trust it. I think he's the only of these NeoGAF "insiders" that I trust because what he says ends up correct. I don't even trust what cboat says all that much because from the time I've been there, a lot of what he's said has ended up wrong or partially incorrect.

But never, ever trust anyone claiming to be an "insider" from the Persona community. Nothing any "insider" concerning Persona has said has ever ended up right.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By djou
@neoepoch said:

Why are people so hung up on this? Atlus is not a big group and dedicating a ton of resources to developing a for a new console would have been ridiculous for them.

Honestly, if Sony were smart they would coordinate with an outside team and work with Atlus to port the game to the PS4 exclusively. Kinda like they are supposedly doing with Borderlands 2, Iron Galaxy, and Vita. Would totally make sense to do this simultaneously as the game was being localized. There's enough fan outcry that most of the hardcore Persona devotees probably own PS4s making it an automatic buy. Hell, how many people bought Vita's to play Golden. I would totally welcome P5 in Winter 2015 (a year after the initial release) if it were on PS4.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Darji

@artisanbreads said:

@parsnip said:

It's a scary place.

To say the least. GAF is full of creeps.

To make these rumor threads you have to show evidence to moderators from 2 different sources or these rumor threads will be closed and you will be banned. They know what influence they have in this industry and they do not take it lightly there. So if they have a rumor thread and it stays up it is most likely legit

As for persona it is reasonable to think like that since the best way to go in Japan right now is a Ps3/PS4/Vita combi like the new Yakuza does.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@djou said:
@neoepoch said:

Why are people so hung up on this? Atlus is not a big group and dedicating a ton of resources to developing a for a new console would have been ridiculous for them.

Honestly, if Sony were smart they would coordinate with an outside team and work with Atlus to port the game to the PS4 exclusively. Kinda like they are supposedly doing with Borderlands 2, Iron Galaxy, and Vita. Would totally make sense to do this simultaneously as the game was being localized. There's enough fan outcry that most of the hardcore Persona devotees probably own PS4s making it an automatic buy. Hell, how many people bought Vita's to play Golden. I would totally welcome P5 in Winter 2015 (a year after the initial release) if it were on PS4.

I also think it would look pretty good for Sony if they could claim there would be a PS4 exclusive JRPG (meaning not on Xbox One) for North America in late 2014/early 2015.

Many people have been tweeting the people who say they listen to what the fans want in terms of third part games, so I guess it's something that they could consider if they wanted to do that.