You are slave. BUT TO WHAT?

• 105 results
Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@soimadeanaccount: I doubt they'll bring back demon negotiation, as Social Links were the replacements for those and that made far more sense within a Persona game. I'll be curious if they go back to being able to switch party member Persona's though. In some ways I liked having the static Persona's, but I don't like how that meant the MC was so OP compared to everyone else.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By Brendan

My penis.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@zeik said:

@soimadeanaccount: I doubt they'll bring back demon negotiation, as Social Links were the replacements for those and that made far more sense within a Persona game. I'll be curious if they go back to being able to switch party member Persona's though. In some ways I liked having the static Persona's, but I don't like how that meant the MC was so OP compared to everyone else.

That would be cool if they did that. It would allow you to have more fun with fusing them, which is probably the best part of the game's combat mechanics to me.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something about boot disks.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

All I know is I need emancipation.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Social Link system, especially its improved version in Persona 4 where you get to develop Social Links with all of your primary characters and directly affect their battle performance, but in a way I think the Social Link system is also one of the big theme in P3 and P4, which in my opinion (and as cheesy as it sounds,) is building relationships with the people they are around you which can strengthen yourself and those that you come into contact with to face challenges ahead.

But with the whole "You are a slave" headline of Persona 5 I don't know if Atlus will adopt a different system that is more in line with that theme instead. I guess technically they can make it so that every Social Link is a different version of how each character is a slave to their situation, but that seems a little too on the nose.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soimadeanaccount: The Social Link system is definitely something I think needs to stay in some form, but also needs radical changes in this game. I like the idea of developing relationships with other characters to strengthen my Persona's, but it better function markedly different from the last two games.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that one might be a slave to "The Man".

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Persona 5 is some hot Kill la Kill crossover action I'll buy fifty copies and rub them on my body.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Monkeyman04

I want to say you're a slave to the TV, but I doubt they would go back to that....So, the government?

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm going to that humanity is enslaved by god and his angles.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The ball and chains are attached to chairs. Which to me suggests school. It would be very interesting if the game had an anti-establishment tone. Like in Persona 3 and 4, you're kind of a goody goody kid that frowns at "punk" type kids in school. Imagine if you and your crew were all punk or outcast type kids?

Then to take it further into speculation, maybe the shadows are established in that kind of government authority somehow? I'm not sure how that would work exactly... I'd have to think about it.

We'll see but just thinking about that it could be really interesting.

I could really get behind that. It'd be a nice change, considering the last vaguely punkish protag was Tatsuya.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Occupy Junes

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@aegon said:

@sunbrozak said:

Unless those chairs represent some form of rehabilitation center, and all the characters are slaves to Narcotics (which would be a really interesting direction, I think), we're dealing with another group of high school kids. Which a bit of a bummer, personally. I was hoping we could have adults this time.

Well, maybe there's a possibility that they're in university...universities have chairs.

Persona has revolved around high school students since the beginning. People asking for something different are probably asking for a bit much.

something different? Anything is possible, they're making a freakin dancing game too

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nux said:

One cannot the deny the downward crushing and oppressive nature of the acute, only together can we unite and fight for open and loving nature of the obtuse in all it's forms.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@korwin said:

@nux said:

One cannot the deny the downward crushing and oppressive nature of the acute, only together can we unite and fight for open and loving nature of the obtuse in all it's forms.

The obtuse is too wide open and freewheeling. We must find balance in the right angle.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We are a slave to video games and our chairs/couches. Persona 5 being an exercise game confirmed.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@korwin said:

@nux said:

The obtuse is too wide open and freewheeling. We must find balance in the right angle.

The concept of the right angle is merely an illusion of balance. It is in fact one man's idea of control over the 3 corners of the triangle in order to keep the proletariat in line. VIVA LA R=C/2x3.142

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Could be the shadows/personas that are slaves to humans, and thus want emancipation.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Giant bomb.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

@hailinel said:

@korwin said:

@nux said:

The concept of the right angle is merely an illusion of balance. It is in fact one man's idea of control over the 3 corners of the triangle in order to keep the proletariat in line. VIVA LA R=C/2x3.142

I love you guys.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ourselves.

It's a Persona game.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No Caption Provided

The obvious implication is that we are slaves to... Chairs?

Just pick the chairs up and move them...EMANCIPATION!!!!

Broomhitches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
@darji said:

Probably society or some sort of Japanese system. Like the school system maybe?

Slaves of society and its expectations is my guess.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

You live in a world filled with more pyramid-like nonsense and god-like powerful and wealthy people than ever, and you have to ask?

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#76  Edited By Samaritan

@alexandersheen said:

@killerfridge said:

@dancinginfernal said:
No Caption Provided

We're slaves to high school, man

This might be the case, actually. The chairs look like chairs in a school and their placement are similar to a classroom's. Cue Another Brick In The Wall.

So this is basically like Kill la Kill, but instead of Nazis it's demons?

I do wonder if the five chairs imply five main characters, or perhaps five party members in dungeons, or perhaps BOTH?

Avatar image for claudeandmaddie
claudeandmaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff said:

Breakfast Club: Persona Edition. Think about it.

This is the best idea of all time.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@alexandersheen said:

@killerfridge said:

@dancinginfernal said:
No Caption Provided

This might be the case, actually. The chairs look like chairs in a school and their placement are similar to a classroom's. Cue Another Brick In The Wall.

I do wonder if the five chairs imply five main characters, or perhaps five party members in dungeons, or perhaps BOTH?

Kill la Kill is just getting started. Look at those life fiber transformations with Satsuki and Ryuko. They are basically being consumed by demonic entities that become their clothes. It's already got Nazis and demons covered. Persona 5 is exactly Kill la Kill and I'm totally down for that.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am a Slave to Persona

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@golguin said:

@captain_felafel said:

@alexandersheen said:

@killerfridge said:

@dancinginfernal said:
No Caption Provided

Kill la Kill is just getting started. Look at those life fiber transformations with Satsuki and Ryuko. They are basically being consumed by demonic entities that become their clothes. It's already got Nazis and demons covered. Persona 5 is exactly Kill la Kill and I'm totally down for that.

Kill la Kill fluctuates badly between being interesting and being so completely rote and boring that it seems like they have two different team working on the show.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh god these are those kind of japanese game developers who are always behind one generation huh . oh well, not like it mattered for 4. (i watched it in 480p anyway)

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By fattony12000
  1. slave to anime upskirts
  2. live free die anime upskirts
@tarsier said:

oh god these are those kind of japanese game developers who are always behind one generation huh . oh well, not like it mattered for 4. (i watched it in 480p anyway)

PS3

• 80 million units sold (as of November 2, 2013)

PS4

I know which platform I'd prefer to release my next video game on, and then which one I'd like to release a "Golden" version on after a couple of years had passed. Coupled with a super mature development platform that you've already been making the game on for the past 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 years, it makes some sort of a kind of sense, they've done it before (as you allude to) and it seemed to work out well enough for them!

Don't get me wrong, I want my anime upskirts (or whatever the hell these "games" are about) to be in as many Ps as possible, but Atlus are obviously doing it this way for a reason, right?

Also, my comment is trapped inside of yours for some reason.

• I want emancipation from quotes.
Bakatorara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The chairs and their arrangement sure looks like high school. And with the fairly "popular" criticization of the actual function of Japanese high school and their youth development this seems directly related to that. The recent Persona games always have an undertone of adults can't do anything / bind to their ways / gave up on their freedom, etc. theme especially in Persona 3.

Persona 5 seems like they are putting that right into the spotlight, although that could be a thin line to walk in without sounding too whiny, idealistic, and full of angst. However recently Gone Home seems to be able to pull off a similar stunt, but I wonder how it would be like if you have to actively engage and take the roles of these characters rather than just reading about their stories.

As for gameplay the 5 by 5 chair configuration could be just a nod to the 5 in Persona 5, but it might also be signifying going back to a 5 members party system which I think I saw in PersonaQ as well. I wonder if they are going to go back to the older Persona system of member's arcana affinity, multi member fusion spells, and demon negotiation also. I miss multi member fusion spells and party member able to equip different persona, but hate demon negotiation.

so you noticed the fifth row thing too, huh? so did you get that feeling that this cast is going to be specifically enslaven as opposed to the other games?
also, you know how in the other games, the persona was ther perfect self, the accepted self, the person the truly beleive themselves to be? well, how about no?

@killerfridge said:

@dancinginfernal said:
No Caption Provided

how many songs is this thread gonna get stuck in my head?

Bakatorara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're slaves to early ambiguous and vague video game teaser trailers and other forms of marketing. I mean, they got people to watch a multi-day event, many of whom understood none of it (mostly talking about myself here)

Anyway, I'm interested to see how the theme of slavery and chains plays into the game. Like, how will they apply "I don't feel like I have any control" to the different facets of (presumably) the struggles of adolescence and early adulthood. Also, because I haven't really been following Persona news until recently, do we already know how they'll be summoning their Personas? Maybe it involves the breaking of chains or some shit?

looking at the past, its true that cards have been present, but look at their application. Persona 4, focusing oncreating ocnviction, shows the players demolishing their cards, one way or another, persona 3 didn't have it, it was about accepting our own demons and the challenges we face due to our own actions and personas thus the suicidal shooting, and persona 2 had the whole thing of having the strength to look past lies and society - personal stregth required to bring the card forward.
so.
It may just bepossible that we're looking at some chain breaking. It'd fit the pattern, as far as i'm concerned

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TruthTellah

Considering how the chains are on the legs of the chairs, have we considered that we may in fact be the chairs?

dun Dun DUN!

Who are we chairs for? Those who get our support? Or perhaps those who keep us in line?

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Igor heel-turn.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By soimadeanaccount

@bakatorara: I am not too sure about literally being enslaved. The Persona series has always been set in a contemporary setting with just a few supernatural twists toss in that are reveal only to the player faction, villain, and a few support characters. The rest of the world is really not much difference from real life. And high school also seems to be an important part of its setting, and judging from the chair arrangement this tradition seems be continuing in Persona 5. I mean the only real life counterpart that can fit these description is maybe in a juvie which might be an interesting setting, but seems a little too unrelatable.

I do think the enslavement could be more of a metaphorical statement such as being oppress by society, "the man", archaic rules, laws, and tradition, and their persona is them being free from that.

Or maybe the entire city the game takes place in is actually a prison, cause shit got real bad. And during the "Dark hours" you go around with a vigilante persona beating the shit out of criminals until they are quadriplegic yet never really killing them cause killing is bad yo.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Cause i loved this idea so much Imma re-post it. Cause this made a lot of sense. (quote was from the p5 trailer)

Ok, so wild mass guessing time about Persona 5 here.

The tag line in it is "You are slave. Want emancipation?" which hints at some kind of plot about gaining your freedom.

So, cut to the trailer released at the same time for the new Persona 4 Arena game, which has several new characters, most of whom we've seen from P4 and P3. EXCEPT for Sho, the red head. In the trailer Sho, makes a remark that he's "just a criminal, here to sharpen my blades on your throat."

Sho's appearance in that trailer has a red back ground (he also has red hair). Red also happens to be the predominant color in the P5 trailer.

So, here is my guess: Sho is a character from the up coming Persona 5, and is a criminal who is being used to fight shadows in order to earn his freedom.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@catolf: That idea doesn't make a lot of sense to me for multiple reasons. One of them: Why does Sho want to slit everyone's throats, including Narukami, if he's forced to fight Shadows?

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Catolf

@catolf: That idea doesn't make a lot of sense to me for multiple reasons. One of them: Why does Sho want to slit everyone's throats, including Narukami, if he's forced to fight Shadows?

Well, why is adatchi even in the game at all when he should be in jail, let alone in still clothing that he wore as a detective?

Besides, he's a criminal, what makes you think he's gunna be a nice guy?

If he's forced to fight shadows for freedom who's to say that freedom dosen't come for one and only one of the 'team' it might be a take them out before they take you out kind of thing for all we know.

I'm leaning more toward a juvi' detention center so to speak.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@catolf said:

Well, why is adatchi even in the game at all when he should be in jail, let alone in still clothing that he wore as a detective?

Besides, he's a criminal, what makes you think he's gunna be a nice guy?

If he's forced to fight shadows for freedom who's to say that freedom dosen't come for one and only one of the 'team' it might be a take them out before they take you out kind of thing for all we know.

I'm leaning more toward a juvi' detention center so to speak.

The reason Adachi has a presence in the story remains to be seen, but I don't think it's too hard to imagine that in a world where people are starting to disappear because of a mysterious red mist and that the real world is becoming like the world inside a TV, Adachi could just walk out of jail without any problems, especially with his Persona.

The connections people are trying to make between Sho and Persona 5 sounds like fanfiction. It's like the people who were claiming so vehemently that P4A wouldn't get a sequel and instead its story would be continued in a spin-off RPG of some sort.

And Persona 5 takes place in high school. We know this.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GRAMMAR. NOW FIX THAT SHIT.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Maybe it's not Adachi at all and something is just using his form to mind fuck the team?

chalkcharmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's referencing being a slave to the culturally dictated progression that, yes, includes highschool. But think bigger than highschool. You are a slave to your chair at so many points in life now - as a very small child eating, as a student from elementary school til college/university, and then as an employee until you're a slave to a chair due to old age.

In broader strokes, you're a slave to what your culture tells you that you must do to grow and progress.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

By your own vices.

To your own passions.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

@pie said:

Drugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That explains a lot. =-P

flyingace16021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slaves to the Junes. Because everyday's great when you obey.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Catolf

@fluxwavez: you talking about -we know this- that its high school, are you saying in juvi that teaching stops? Cause I believe kids are still having classes, just now locked down.

It might have high school students and a similar setting but not.

And as far as Sho why must it be fanfiction? Why introduce a character like him with nothing but fighting game part in mind. There was no need. He has to have some significant reason to be.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#99  Edited By toowalrus
  • I doubt this game takes place in some sort of jail or juvenile detention center. Even though this is being made by the Japanese, I still think they'd have used the word "prisoner" rather than "slave." They're not really the same thing- at least in English.
  • I'd bet the relation between Sho and Persona 5 is tangential at most. It's a little weird that the red fog and red headed antagonist match the color scheme of Persona 5, but I don't think it's any kind of prequel.
  • "You are a slave. Want emancipation?" sounds like the kind of phrase I'd get drunkenly tattooed on myself or something. I really like it.
  • I don't really have any idea what Persona 5 is about. And that's OK.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@catolf said:

@fluxwavez: you talking about -we know this- that its high school, are you saying in juvi that teaching stops? Cause I believe kids are still having classes, just now locked down.

It might have high school students and a similar setting but not.

And as far as Sho why must it be fanfiction? Why introduce a character like him with nothing but fighting game part in mind. There was no need. He has to have some significant reason to be.

Er, well when Hashino said "high school" and "but the tone will be completely different than P3 and P4", I'm pretty sure that he meant high school in the traditional structure sense and not something like you're imagining.

Also, it's fanfiction because you're going wild based on very little evidence and being extremely assertive about it as well. It's cool to speculate, but the fact is that we know very little about who Sho is.

We know that he has two versions: one without a Persona and one with a Persona. We know that his title without a Persona is "The Lawbreaking Pun Machine" and that this is the wild Sho who wants to literally slit everyone's throats for some reason and who is possibly the "culprit" in P4A. We know that his version with a Persona is "The Defaced Dark Messiah" and that he is depicted as being far more malicious when he has a Persona.

Just like Labrys, he could just be intrinsically linked to the P4A arc and nothing more.