• 54 results
jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By jamin

So if anyone has been seeing me post recently I am trying to create a massive library of games that I have missed from previous generations. I was more of a casual player then but became more hardcore after I graduated college. That being said and with the PS4 release I would like to get these games before they are lost in time and now that I am following gaming news I should be able to pick up the hits from here on out. Here is a list of games that I have played and I am wondering if you duders have any suggestions to help fill in my library. I am trying to limit myself to games available on PSN, but my PS3 is backwards compatible so if it is a really good game I can buy physical.

• Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII
  • GTA III & Vice City
  • THPS3 - THUG 2 believe I also play Project 8 but I wasn't impressed
  • DBZ: Budokai 1-3
  • MGS 2 & 3
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • God of War 1&2

Please note I have suggestions here for PS1 games and here for PC games. Looking for games that are purely fun and not just nostalgia for some gamers (I know it is hard) this is because I have sooooooooo many games.

Also as I don't play shooters or sports games. Only shooters I played are MGS and Uncharted.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The greatest american football game ever made is 2K's NFL 2k4 also known as ESPN NFL Football. To this day it's still better than EA's efforts.

I wouldn't call FFX-2 a classic at all. It's not a great game. GTA SA should be on your list though, it is a great game and it shows a nice difference of tone and style to Vice.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: X-2 is ok but yes not a classic I am just listing all the games I have played so someone does not suggest that game is all.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There were some great platformers in that era: Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, and Ape Escape 2 are easy to recommend. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time remains one of my favorite games even though the combat becomes repetitive. Other greats are action games like Onimusha, God of War and Devil May Cry. Some great RPGs from the studio Level 5 like Dark Cloud and Rouge Galaxy. Thinking back on it, it's easy to see why people think of it as one of the greatest consoles of all time.

mousse_gallon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

Odin Sphere, Musashi: Samurai Legend, Phantom Brave, SkyGunner, Tales of the Abyss

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chaos Legion will always have a soft spot in my heart for trying to expand on character action and having a gdlk soundtrack. Sadly it's doomed to obscurity because it never caught on and is really above average at best.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Dark Cloud 2, Rogue Galaxy, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Grandia II, We Love Katamari, Xenosaga series.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I'd say pick up Bully before you pick up San Andreas. Persona 4 is seriously great. Odin Sphere is also a classic. I'm under the impression that Dark Could 2 is considered a masterpiece but Dark Cloud is widely disliked. I haven't played either but I do have them in my stacks from when I got my brother in law's PS2 collection.

The greatest american football game ever made is 2K's NFL 2k4 also known as ESPN NFL Football. To this day it's still better than EA's efforts.

I wouldn't call FFX-2 a classic at all. It's not a great game. GTA SA should be on your list though, it is a great game and it shows a nice difference of tone and style to Vice.

I think you mean NFL 2K5. That was the last one they made and that's the one that outsold Madden so much that EA bought out the NFL license, and that's the one that is on Game Informer's top 200 games of all time.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: You're right. I always blend 2k4 and 2k5 together. Both are classics. Its such a shame that the NFL took EAs money but I wouldn't expect any less of the NFL.

Hell at this stage I wish Madden would just copy 2Ks games outright.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also second Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Cloud 2, Persona 4, Devil May Cry 1 and 3, and Odin Sphere. Star Ocean 3 is pretty good too. And who could forget Silent Hill 2?

The PS2 had an amazing library of fighting games as well. I highly recommend Capcom vs SNK 2, King of Fighters 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and XI. And also Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Loading Video...

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ghosthunter. Great voice acting (Rob Paulsen), some of the best music ever (the swamp theme is unsettling and awesome). It created the Resident Evil 4 gameplay style before RE 4 it. Also, Ghost traps and great enemy design.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: Personally I haven't played a football game since Madden 2000 and I won't play another one until I can play a CFL season. I never got why they haven't added it as on option yet. You've got a football engine, it shouldn't take too much modifying to make a CFL rule set. The CFL is bigger than ever now, with an expansion team this season, new or heavily renovated stadiums in more than half the league, and a very popular game in a new market each year. I suppose with no competition EA haven't had to innovate since 2006.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@drbroel: Damn, you stole most of my suggestions. I'll add Suikoden III and V, and Wild ARMs 3-5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

A few of my favorite PS2 games were the Shadow Hearts series, Twisted Metal Black, The Ratchet and Clank Trilogy, The Jak Trilogy, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (seriously underrated gem and my favorite PS2 co-op game), The Warriors, Rogue Galaxy, and Def Jam Fight for NY.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I think God Hand is an absolute must along with Persona 4.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Psi-Ops

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomberOwl
Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okami, Burnout Revenge, Silent Hill 2 & 3. Gran Turismo 4. Tourist Trophy.

And the finest soccer game ever made, Pro Evolution Soccer 6.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Valkyrie Profile 2

The PS2 has like 50 excellent games and only a dozen or so are on PSN.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

This thread has reminded me that the PS2 had a hell of an awesome game library.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think God Hand is an absolute must

God Hand is the most videogame videogame ever created, it's spectacular

Loading Video...

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#26  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@jiggajoe14 said:

I think God Hand is an absolute must

God Hand is the most videogame videogame ever created, it's spectacular

Loading Video...

Best credits song ever.

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Good call on Psi-Ops

In that vein, Second Sight is awesome. Great story, atmosphere, wonderful use of powers, and the best sniping mechanic for a 3rd person game I have ever used.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Fatal Frame 1, 2, and 3.

Also, it was mentioned already, but seconded on Twisted Metal Black. Playing it now, and my god, is it fun. Looks surprisingly good for such an early PS2 title as well.

MK: Deception is pretty good (for that era of MK, that is), and Armageddon is a hoot to fuck around with.

The Backyard Wrestling games are more fun than they have any right to be, although I might be in the minority on that. Be sure to play on mute, though.

(if my suggestions haven't made it clear, I never owned a PS2 proper)

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Don't bother playing Budokai 1 & 2, just skip right to 3. There really is NO reason to play either of the first two. The 3rd is a complete and amazing fighting game that even has an HD remake out right now... which is bundled with 1 but there's no reason for 1. Anyway, 3 has the complete story and just about every character you could want. Don't bother trying to look for Evil Buu, he's not in there.

The Jak & Daxter series is a must! There's only 4 in the main series (3 on PS2) but they're all worth it. I still to this day have yet to play 1, which looks amaaazingly fun.

Those are my must plays, have fun! Enjoy DBZ:B3, one of my favorite fighting games ever.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fatal Frame 1,2,3

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given how young I was when I played a lot of these some of them may be seen through rose tinted glasses, but I've played some of them on an emulator recently and they held up in my opinion.

Genji : Dawn of the Samurai (One of my favourite childhood games.)

Shadow of the Colossus (Likewise one of the best games of that era/all time.)

Jak and Daxter Trilogy (Particularly Jak 3 for its variety.)

Spartan : Total Warrior (Very fun Greek themed hack-n-slash.)

Downhill Domination (A personal favourite but me and my friends were into mountain biking so...)

Battlefield 2 : Modern Combat (A pretty unique take on FPS that lets you take control of anyone on the battlefield in an instant.)

Drakengard 1 & 2 (Fun but I don't think many people hold them in high regard.)

Anything Tony Hawk (THUG 2 and Pro Skater 4 in particular.)

Rogue Trooper (Based on the comic book that Avatar ripped off. Good fun Third person shooter with a cool world.)

I enjoyed all these games at the time, I hope you find some of them to your liking.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Trying to think of one that hasn't already been mentioned is pretty hard.

Suikoden V

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Off the top of my head

JRPGs

• Persona 3: FES
  • Persona 4
  • Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter
  • Dragon Quest Viii
  • Suikoden III
  • Shadow Hearts: Covenant
  • Rogue Galaxy

Action RPGs

• Kingdom Hearts
  • Dark Cloud 2

Action and Action Adventure

• Katamari Damacy
  • Ico
  • Shadow of Colossus
  • Drakengard
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Prince of Persia : the Sands of Time
  • Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory
  • Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
  • Maximo : Ghosts to Glory
  • Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
  • Rygar: The Legendary Journey
  • God of War
  • Killer 7
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 : Sons of Liberty

Brawler/Beat 'em Up

• The Bouncer

Shooters and Flight Sims

• Peter Jackson's King Kong : The Official Game of the Movie
  • Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies
  • Timesplitters

Fighting games

• Mortal Kombat: Deception
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's very much a personal classic rather than a generally considered classic but I'd say Simpsons: Hit and Run. It absolutely nails everything charming about the show and it's tone and then wraps it all up in some astonishingly enjoyable GTA style open world fun.

However, If you're not a fan of the show I would lower my recommendation. I think it pretty much still works as enjoyable for non-fans but it just wont be the same if you're not picking up on all the little references to the TV series. It is insanely rich with them.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By GERALTITUDE

GUNGRAVE

not sure how you "gamers" forgot about this classic, but there's only one place to go to on PS2, and that's Beyond the Grave... Gungrave.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Def Jam: Fight for NY
Gladius
Makai Kingdoms
Okami
Way of the Samurai 2
The Warriors
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Manhunt
Persona 4
Samurai Warriors 2: Empires
Mark of Kri
Bully
The Disgaea series
Psychonauts

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard Patrick mention something about a mega man game 2 weeks ago. I never played mega man is there a really good game on ps2?

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Oscar__Explosion
spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

socom 1 and 2. Don't hold me to that though.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: is the gameplay good in that one if I wanted to experience the mega man?

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jamin724: Well I mean it has all the original NES Mega Man games on it (Mega Man 1-6) and those games do hold up very well.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: Oh, looks like that's right... now my memory is failing me cause I can't remember if it was me trying to get fat buu or evil buu. It looks like Majin Buu was a pretty standard unlock so I think what I was remembering was trying so long to get evil buu. I also remember having 99% capsules and just not being able to get the last one for the longest time... disk failed before I did.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hurricaneivan29: Ah, yeah Evil Buy definitely wasn't in the game.

But damn, Budokai 3 was such a great game. Definitely one of, if not the best Dragon Ball Z fighting games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By Justin258

Not sure why my post telling you to get all of the Shin Megami Tensei games on PSN didn't show up, but now I'm telling you, you need to get all the Shin Megami Tensei games that are on PSN. Well, except those Raidou Kuzunoha games, I don't know anything about them and thus can't recommend them wholeheartedly.

Persona 4 and Nocturne are the two best (as in, some of the best games on the PS2), followed by Persona 3 and the two Digital Devil Saga games. All available on PSN. All pretty great games.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@jamin724: Well I mean it has all the original NES Mega Man games on it (Mega Man 1-6) and those games do hold up very well.

The Mega Man Anniversary Collection has Mega Man 1-8 on it, as well as The Power Battle and The Power Fighters. There's also a Mega Man X Collection which includes X1-X6 and Battle and Chase.

X6 is kinda bad - I even said that as a kid, when I usually didn't know much better. The rest are generally good side-scrolling action. Mega Man X7 and X8 are PS2 games, but don't bother with X7. It is, by all accounts that I've heard, a bad game. X8 was all right but hardly the highlight of the series.

Mega Man 2 and Mega Man X are probably the best Mega Man games and the first ones you should try out if you get those collections.

Really, if you're going to play Mega Man games made past 2000, then play the Zero series, Zero 3 in particular.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: The Raidou games are pretty damn good, not amazing like the other games under the MegaTen label but still pretty damn good