I have a PS3 storage question...

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey, I have a very limited amount of space on my HD, and need to delete some stuff to make room for something else. However, the thing I am looking to delete is TellTales first season of The Walking Dead. I am still currently playing the second season, but my question is this...If I delete the game itself, will it mess with my save data regarding all of the choices I have made? Or will my data remained intact. I would appreciate some help on this because I am not clicking delete until I know for sure. Thank you so much!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Savedata is seperate from the game. I hate that this is even a question now.

kylenalepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kylenalepa

I hate that this is even a question now.

Huh? Why are you mad that he's asking a question?

Anyway, yep! Save data is stored separately from the game data so you're good to go. You can also look into upgrading the hard drive of your PS3 at some point if you find yourself frequently running out of space! :)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi
@kylenalepa said:
@corruptedevil said:

Not mad at him for asking it, mad at whoever came up with the brilliant idea to take away save management on their platform (mobile devices, Xbox One.)

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was never able to understand the PS3 storage management. Still to this day I don't know how much room I have left and I'm dreading the next (last?) PS3 disc I buy requiring an install and not having enough room.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mosespippy

Game saves are different from the game which is also different from the game data, which is usually DLC and patches. Or if you're got something like GTA IV or Gran Turismo 5 which install data from the disc, that's also game data. Those are probably the biggest hogs of hard drive space, and you'll be able to find them in the game data utility. Save files are in the separate safe data utility.

For future reference, on Vita save files and games are the same file, so you could end up screwing up your progress by deleting a game without backing it up.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: Thank you! Man, I love the Playstation brand, but this is a bit absurd, especially the Vita thing.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By MetalBaofu

I was never able to understand the PS3 storage management. Still to this day I don't know how much room I have left and I'm dreading the next (last?) PS3 disc I buy requiring an install and not having enough room.

Go over to the settings column on the dashboard, then down to system settings, then down again to system information.. It will show you how much space you have left.

I regularly go through my game data folder and remove game installs for games that I won't be playing anymore. I currently only have 5.4GB free, though, thanks to PS+ stuff.

kylenalepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kylenalepa said:
@corruptedevil said:

Not mad at him for asking it, mad at whoever came up with the brilliant idea to take away save management on their platform (mobile devices, Xbox One.)

Ah, OK! Sorry for the confusion!

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@metalbaofu: So apparently I have 600mb left which is about what I expected. i only have 40GB PS3 since I only use it for exclusives (incl PSN exclusives) So a 40GB leaves 37GB for actual user storage, I added up everything from "Game Data" as well as the size of each individual game and I came to 26.5GB. i was confused about the remaining 10.5GB but the only conclusion I can come to is that its on software updates for the PS3? Can that actually be right? I haven't even updated it in like a year either...

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By MetalBaofu

@pinner458: Yeah. I don't know how much room is reserved for firmware stuff either. No idea what that other 10GB could be if it's not installed games/game data/game saves/movies/etc.