A question regarding FIFA 14

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb4b2e027234
deactivated-5eb4b2e027234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

I'm not a soccer fan, really. I don't know much about the sport, so I'm not familiar with the terminology or all the rules. BUT I have been watching and absolutely loving this year's World Cup. With that in mind, I wanted to give FIFA 14 a try on my PS4. But the demo left me a little cold. What I'm wondering is, is the game friendly to a player like me? Does it contain good tutorials to help me get acquainted with the controls?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't know about tutorials but the basics are pretty easy to pick up. Like all sports sims the basics are pretty basics but the technical stuff takes time. But you might not even notice you need it for a the first few hours. It's a little bit easier to penetrate than some spprts games IMO. Just stay away from online

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3 FinalDasa  Moderator

I grabbed the game, for Xbox One, on a whim despite knowing very little about soccer. I've found it a lot of fun. I've turned down the difficulty for a bit, which makes it stupid easy, until I understand the roles of the players and how I like to play. So by all means if you think you enjoy soccer them go ahead and get it. Even the 90 minute matches go quickly since the clock is accelerated a bit.

I'll say that if you do end up deciding on buying it then you should get it before the World Cup ends. The free World Cup content is pretty fun.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am on the same boat, I know nothing about FOOTBALL( sorry it's all hear on the other forums). First time watching this year, I am in love! However I am debating on picking up The Sly Cooper collection or Fifa 13, since I am still on current gen. If I had a Ps4 I'd be all over 14!

TheMessiBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing FIFA for quite a while, along with a lot of FIFA 14 on PS4. Honestly, FIFA 14 is a not one of the strongest of the line. The work EA did on trying to make physicality and strength more of a factor has now left the dribbling and running feeling very laborious and slow-to-react (regarding player input). That's why it might feel like you're wading in water when you're running around, it honestly lacks the responsiveness which PES has always innately had, and older editions of FIFA used to have (and FIFA 15 is rumored to fix this... but who knows).

Looking at the game from your situation, here are my thoughts:

• The game does offer a variety of different mini games/sort of tutorials which revolve around a specific mechanic (shooting, passing, crossing, dribbling, defending, and more). These go up in levels, starting simple and getting tougher. They'll give a great chance to practice various scenarios and get comfortable with the controls. There's a lot, I haven't even completed all of them.
  • You don't seem like enough of a football/soccer fan(atic) to get really deep into career mode (although you might like doing career mode as a player, which has less of the tactics/transfers which the manager version does, and allows you to play as a single player or just control your entire team).
  • This leaves tournament mode, kick off (just playing a random match vs. AI or friend), and online stuff basically. Still surprisingly robust if you enjoy doing tournaments (and over time if you really enjoy tournaments/leagues, you can take a stab at being a manager in career mode [which you should definitely do]).
  • You also get a bunch of World Cup content which is nice, but I haven't dabbled in any of it (too busy watching the World Cup, or playing career mode).
  • In terms of settings, don't feel bad about whatever difficulty or control settings you put things at. See if you can slowly improve and change from assisted passing (and shooting etc.) to semi-assisted or manual for a fun challenge, especially because in my opinion, playing on manual/semi is a lot more satisfying (and difficult). There are tons of people who have been playing for years and are still on assisted controls and semi-pro difficulty.
  • A lot of my greatest memories playing FIFA are (putting aside my history-defining career mode victories) when I'm playing with a friend. If you have two controllers and a person to play FIFA with, it is immense amounts of fun (if you're both at a relatively close skill level).

Lastly, something to keep in mind: FIFA 15 will be coming out late September/early October. It will be a very big improvement upon FIFA 14. I'm not sure how much you'll have to shell out for FIFA 14, but it's probably still a very high price, if not the original 60$ price. If you think you can hold onto the hype and wait it out, FIFA 15 is what I would advise you to buy. However, if you need your soccer/football fix because of the World Cup, FIFA 14 is not a bad way to go at all.

I could go on forever about FIFA and soccer/football games in general, but I'll spare you guys. I hope this gives you a good idea about whether you should pick up FIFA 14! If you're interested in reading more in depth about the game, you can check out my (lengthy) review of the Xbox 360/PS3 versions (I ended up not doing a next gen review because it was too much work, and not enough big gameplay differences to write about). If you have questions I'd love to answer them!

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Meltac

@mrhadouken said:

I am on the same boat, I know nothing about FOOTBALL( sorry it's all hear on the other forums). First time watching this year, I am in love! However I am debating on picking up The Sly Cooper collection or Fifa 13, since I am still on current gen. If I had a Ps4 I'd be all over 14!

You can also get '14 for PS3 and in my opinion it is better than '13 in many ways.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Sterling

@tikicobra: The skill games should help with that, getting used to the controls. I would also recommend playing on an easy level like semi-pro and just experiment to learn basic strategy and what you can cant do in the game. And there is the practice arena. Which lets you go in and just do what ever. Or practice set pieces. And situations. You can try free kicks, penalties, corners, 11v11, 5v6 or what ever. Or you can just be one on one with the keeper.

However, now is not a great time to buy it. Because the price shot back up because of the WC buzz. It was $25 brand new on Amazon one week before the world cup. And you could get a used copy for $20.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrHadouken

@meltac: yeah, I know that, but I've heard people saying 14 is slower, I honestly wouldn't know. I am curious to see how 15 turns out on current consoles, I just hope it doesn't get shit on, because of heavy next gen focus. I am playing the demo, so mostly it's a price thing $20ish for 13 vs $40 ish for 14 on amazon. Then if 15 is competent I'll pick it up Black Friday.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@themessibeast: I don't think 14 has the option to have assisted passing. I can't find it, was looking for it when I went up to World Class as my passes were all over the damn place. I also can't find how to turn off the damn auto switch on defense. That drives me nuts!

And why is the damn AI so bad all the sudden. Why do defenders in the area of the ball on a lose ball not run to it, why are they backing away from it. What is this crap. I don't remember this happening.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Meltac

@meltac: yeah, I know that, but I've heard people saying 14 is slower, I honestly wouldn't know. I am curious to see how 15 turns out on current consoles, I just hope it doesn't get shit on, because of heavy next gen focus. I am playing the demo, so mostly it's a price thing $20ish for 13 vs $40 ish for 14 on amazon. Then if 15 is competent I'll pick it up Black Friday.

Oh yeah, it is definitely slower paced than 13 is. If it is a matter of price I would just go with 13, considering you haven't played the games before. 13 is totally a competent game!

SoniaScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SoniaScott

For one more year FIFA 15 manages to maintain its high standards with a further addition of new animations and even better visuals. However, the same thing cannot be said for the gameplay which remained virtually unchanged from its predecessor.