Cancelling your pre-order?

• 143 results
riddles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Giving my preorder to a friend - i'm happy to wait 3-6months till there are a few more games out i'm actually excited to play.

Looking forward to all the GB coverage of both launches next month though!

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@noelveiga said:

I don't get this whole "preorder cancelling" nonsense. I don't get it in Patrick and I don't get it elsewhere. I mean, even with no games, the new consoles are sexy enough as they are that I want them at launch, and being able to play launch games on PS3 or even PC isn't the point. I want to see what AC4 looks like on these things. I want to see what NBA 2K is on these things. NFS Rivals alone looks worth oogling for a while.

Similarly, I've gotten tired of the "don't buy these consoles at launch!" whinging, and I'm not even going to be getting them at launch. Brad's made picking on the console launches his raison detre at this point, but always qualifies his statement with "But I'm sure in Spring there will be a lot of cool stuff to play on it." So.. I should wait like 4 months to get it instead? Why? So I can save zero dollars? Buy it in November or in March, what different does it make if other great games are right around the corner and the cost of entry is literally the same? It seems like such a petty point to keep harping on over and over.

"Don't buy these consoles at launch! Take a stand! Buy it 100 days later; that'll show 'em!"

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@marokai said:

@noelveiga said:

I don't get this whole "preorder cancelling" nonsense. I don't get it in Patrick and I don't get it elsewhere. I mean, even with no games, the new consoles are sexy enough as they are that I want them at launch, and being able to play launch games on PS3 or even PC isn't the point. I want to see what AC4 looks like on these things. I want to see what NBA 2K is on these things. NFS Rivals alone looks worth oogling for a while.

Similarly, I've gotten tired of the "don't buy these consoles at launch!" whinging, and I'm not even going to be getting them at launch. Brad's made picking on the console launches his raison detre at this point, but always qualifies his statement with "But I'm sure in Spring there will be a lot of cool stuff to play on it." So.. I should wait like 4 months to get it instead? Why? So I can save zero dollars? Buy it in November or in March, what different does it make if other great games are right around the corner and the cost of entry is literally the same? It seems like such a petty point to keep harping on over and over.

"Don't buy these consoles at launch! Take a stand! Buy it 100 days later; that'll show 'em!"

It's not a stand, I have other expenses in my life and who knows if I may need that $500 at some other point. I'd rather not have it collect dust while I wait for releases. Watch Dogs, AC4 and DriveClub at launch originally made it worth it to me, as I don't typically game all that much and they would of lasted me til late Feb and March when other stuff was coming out. I'd rather have that money in my pocket and wait for those things to come out instead now.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subject2change: That's totally cool, I'm not trying to cast aspersions on either side; I just think the "don't buy these consoles at launch" preaching seems so arbitrary when everyone taking that line will almost certainly be changing their tune one season from now. I just don't really get why the "buy/don't buy consoles at launch" argument gets so heated when it's just quibbling between what month to buy the consoles on. It's not like the console is going to be any cheaper, or the library of games that dramatically different, from November to March. Buy it if you want to, don't if you prefer to wait. There's no right or wrong here.

I get where you're coming from re: wanting to keep that money in your pocket. I'm much the same way. I just don't really see why someone like Brad or Patrick get so animated over not wanting to buy a console at launch, as people who can afford to take that ~500 dollar hit, but stubbornly talk about not wanting to, and instead prefer to wait... three months or so. Does it really matter that much? It just comes off as wanting to make a point, and it seems like an incredibly minor point to be making.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#105  Edited By TheKing

No way, even if I wait 4-6 months for "more games" the console will still be the same price. I'd rather get it at launch and be part of the frenzy. Besides, I think some of the launch games look pretty cool.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

@subject2change: That's totally cool, I'm not trying to cast aspersions on either side; I just think the "don't buy these consoles at launch" preaching seems so arbitrary when everyone taking that line will almost certainly be changing their tune one season from now. I just don't really get why the "buy/don't buy consoles at launch" argument gets so heated when it's just quibbling between what month to buy the consoles on. It's not like the console is going to be any cheaper, or the library of games that dramatically different, from November to March. Buy it if you want to, don't if you prefer to wait. There's no right or wrong here.

I get where you're coming from re: wanting to keep that money in your pocket. I'm much the same way. I just don't really see why someone like Brad or Patrick get so animated over not wanting to buy a console at launch, as people who can afford to take that ~500 dollar hit, but stubbornly talk about not wanting to, and instead prefer to wait... three months or so. Does it really matter that much? It just comes off as wanting to make a point, and it seems like an incredibly minor point to be making.

Absolutely, for them it makes no sense to not purchase it. They are a tax write off for them, it's part of their job. If I was in the industry or still living at home, I'd have that thing on the 15th and would of taken the day off of work to play it. I just had 2 friends cancel as well, and wasn't sure if it was the norm for gamers in their late 20s early 30s to wait on this. I was all gungho ready when they announced it and my excitement level has gone down significantly.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By oldenglishc

Why would I buy something that can't play Dark Souls 2?

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have they confirmed no DS2 on PS4/Xbox One?

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc said:

I don't think anybody has given conformation either way, but there's no next gen port announced.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

@subject2change said:

@oldenglishc said:

I don't think anybody has given conformation either way, but there's no next gen port announced.

They have to bring Dark Souls 2 out on new consoles right????

It wouldn't make sense for them to do that. At least in my mind.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subject2change said:

@oldenglishc said:

Gotcha, ugh might need to buy myself a second PS3. Worried my Fatty with Software BC is going to fail. Hopefully Black Friday has a deal.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I thought about canceling, but decided not to. The price won't change for 2 years and I doubt there will be a revision any time soon, so putting it off isn't really worth anything. I'll enjoy a few of the launch games and make sure I have one when Destiny comes out incase there are in shortages.

I toyed with the idea of moving over to a Xbox One, but there are too many factors I'm not sure about with it that I wanted to wait on it. The lower end GPU, Kinect, more expensive price, and such have me apprehensive about the console.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#113  Edited By Sterling

@coolarman said:

@oldenglishc said:

@subject2change said:

@oldenglishc said:

They have to bring Dark Souls 2 out on new consoles right????

It wouldn't make sense for them to do that. At least in my mind.

Yui was against it at first. But is now considering it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/dark-souls-2-director-changes-stance-on-potential-ps4-and-xbox-one-ports?cid=rss

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't see the point in canceling pre-orders. Why not just purchase the system now and maybe a game or two and wait for more games to come out later. Instead of waiting and buying the system plus 3 or more games that you want. Spread the cost out over time instead of just throwing it all at once. That's my own way of thinking though.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subject2change: it's the reason I never preordered one, I'd rather get a WiiU. I'm more interested in what's coming out for it than, anything in the PS4/X1 line up.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#116  Edited By BRich

@lord_xp said:

I don't see the point in canceling pre-orders. Why not just purchase the system now and maybe a game or two and wait for more games to come out later. Instead of waiting and buying the system plus 3 or more games that you want. Spread the cost out over time instead of just throwing it all at once. That's my own way of thinking though.

If a system doesn't have the games yet, why not wait? I got the PS3 when the first slim came out and by that point there were quite a few great exclusive games to play and it was $300 cheaper.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no pre-order placed but I'll wait to see if there are any early production issues. I've had no problems with my PS3 but I only bought 1 once the slim came out but I did have to replace my Xbox as it died a year after I bought it and got it replaced under warranty then it died again even after the warranty extension and with no cheap options available this go around, I don't want to face that again.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to think that we are all learned enough by now to know that we should wait at least a year before buying any system. Launch line-up? Its all shit, I am willing to bet most if not all, launch games on both system will sucks shit.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope! I ain't no punk b*tch!

I'm just kidding, but no, I haven't cancelled my preorder.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#121  Edited By Seppli

@shinjin977 said:

I would like to think that we are all learned enough by now to know that we should wait at least a year before buying any system. Launch line-up? Its all shit, I am willing to bet most if not all, launch games on both system will sucks shit.

So pretty much all big-hitter games this holiday season are shit by this logic? Because pretty much all games that come out, come out on PS4 and Xbox One. I don't know when you've last played a multiplatform game on consoles, but they run and look like shit in comparison to the PC version (given a decent gaming PC). For console-only players, and players who prefer the closed online environment of console gaming (games running on dedicated servers have zero hacks - generally a much more even playingfield - gamepad-only environment is my preference for online games).

This year, it's plain smarter to buy a new gen console, rather than upgrading your PC. These consoles are a gamechanger for all platforms. I'd rather wait with PC upgrades until I get a clear read what this new generation of software demands in computing power on PC, to get that premium experience that you expect from it. Right now, you'll be getting that on consoles for the price of a semi-decent current PC graphics card. Future proof for one generation guaranteed.

Why would you wait a year to buy a PS4 or Xbox One for the same price I pay now? And in the worst case keep playing games on current gen consoles with low unsteady framerates, ever increasing instability, and generally much lower graphical fidelity? Waiting is nonsense, as far as I see it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The only arguments I can see for not buying now are: Don't want to (fair enough), no money (I get that), and my spouse say we don't the the money OR my kids need shoes (shit my friend, that sucks).

All other excuse are just, "I want to say something in a forum too." Tongue flapping is a mighty fine way to pass the time, but nobody hands out big-boy or big-girl pants for flapping that pink meat in your pie hole.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@seppli said:

@shinjin977 said:

So pretty much all big-hitter games this holiday season are shit by this logic? Because pretty much all games that come out, come out on PS4 and Xbox One. I don't know when you've last played a multiplatform game on consoles, but they run and look like shit in comparison to the PC version (given a decent gaming PC). For console-only players, and players who prefer closed environment of console gaming (games running on dedicated servers have zero hacks - generally a much more even playingfield - gamepad-only environment is my preference for online games).

This year, it's plain smarter to buy a new gen console, rather than upgrading your PC. These consoles are a gamechanger for all platforms. I'd rather wait with PC upgrades until I get a clear read what this new generation of software demands in computing power on PC, to get that premium experience that you expect from it. Right now, you'll be getting that on consoles for the price of a semi-decent current PC graphics card. Future proof for one generation guaranteed.

Why would you wait a year to buy a PS4 or Xbox One for the same price I pay now? And in the worst case keep playing games on current gen consoles with low unsteady framerates, ever increasing instability, and generally much lower graphical fidelity? Waiting is nonsense, as far as I see it.

It is sad but I am willing to pay $400 in order to experience a new dashboard and a new way to party in game and see it all work a lot faster than my old console. I just want to turn the thing on and instantly think "oh yah, this is much better than my old console."

If I can get that, then I'm happy.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912 said:

Ive been pro Xbox in the past as they were better systems all around for developers and the quality of 3rd party games were typically better. Which is fucking sad when PS3, that is one year newer, under performs for several years. Its inexcusable really. That would never fly in another industry. Sony finally got their shit together and put out a system with more mainstream hardware so its actually not a issue this gen. I was on the fence and even planning on getting a PS4 over a Xbox, but the launch line up just sucks. In the end Dead Rising was the deciding factor. Ill get a PS4 in spring when there is actully something worth buying. I hope Infamous doenst suck. I dont have high hopes for the story with that EMO wanker as the main character. He seems just awful.

I don't think Sony with ps3 is some weird freak failing that has never happened before. Its happened in the very industry we are talking about. The First xbox had the same struggle and could not hold a torch to the ps2 even when it was a more powerful system.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Seppli

@humanity said:

@seppli said:

@shinjin977 said:

So pretty much all big-hitter games this holiday season are shit by this logic? Because pretty much all games that come out, come out on PS4 and Xbox One. I don't know when you've last played a multiplatform game on consoles, but they run and look like shit in comparison to the PC version (given a decent gaming PC). For console-only players, and players who prefer closed environment of console gaming (games running on dedicated servers have zero hacks - generally a much more even playingfield - gamepad-only environment is my preference for online games).

It is sad but I am willing to pay $400 in order to experience a new dashboard and a new way to party in game and see it all work a lot faster than my old console. I just want to turn the thing on and instantly think "oh yah, this is much better than my old console."

Absolutely. I needed that new generation 3 years ago, and I want it now more than ever. But really, even if none of the launch games speak to you, it's still a sound investment. And here's why...

With free 2 play being a thing for these new gen boxes, every cheap bastard should be getting one out of principle. It's imaginable to only buy the box, and not spend another dime, and live a good and rich gaming life with it throughout this whole upcoming generation.

Just think of what all comes on PS4 in the launch window. Blacklight, Warframe, War Thunder, Planetside, DCUO - any of these games can keep you well entertained for months, if they're for you. And what might the future hold? Everquest Next? DOTA 2 for consoles? That new C&C Generals game? Blizzard's Project Titan? Sony and/or Microsoft might be courting Star Citizen for a release on their platfrom. Exciting stuff is going to happen in this field, and lots of it.

aquacadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

my preorder has been canceled. I'll just wait for a bit. Maybe get that iPad instead.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@seppli said:

@shinjin977 said:

both fair point. Of cause I am looking at this situation from my high horse being a mainly pc guy but I can see where you guys are coming from. From my perspective tho, the real heavy hitters from both sides are coming next year. Halo, Infamous, The Order, Quantum Break and now Watch Dogs. I just feel like you guys would do better by waiting a few months to see if anything is wrong with either console and yes Launch games are typically not very good. I will stand by that.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@seppli said:

@shinjin977 said:

both fair point. Of cause I am looking at this situation from my high horse being a mainly pc guy but I can see where you guys are coming from. From my perspective tho, the real heavy hitters from both sides are coming next year. Halo, Infamous, The Order, Quantum Break and now Watch Dogs. I just feel like you guys would do better by waiting a few months to see if anything is wrong with either console and yes Launch games are typically not very good. I will stand by that.

True enough. Whatever will happen, launch woes or not, it will be unforgetable. #LaunchMemories or whatever the Twitter generation would say.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been speaking to a bunch of friends and it seems that we have all come to the conclusion of cancelling our pre-orders. Why?

Well the Launch games are nothing special. I can play AC4 on my PS3, I can play BF4 as well, nothing PS4 exclusive excites me and I was originally happy with the idea of having 3 games at launch (none exclusive besides DriveClub, but it would start me off with more than 1 game), nothing super special but AC4, Watch Dogs and PS+Version of DriveClub. Now I can only get one of those.

Still have a bunch of PS3 games that have yet to be confirmed for PS4, Dark Souls II a big one for me.

Anyone else cancelling?

It's worth 400$ just to play versions of BF4 and AC4 the crew won't spend half a podcast/quicklook pucking on.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So I'm still on the fence with my preorders. While I am super excited to have both systems I'm not sure if it's a smart purchase at the moment. On the PS4 I really only want NBA 2K14 and maybe COD. On the Xbox One I really want Forza 5 and Ryse. I can't afford both consoles this month and while I rather pick up a PS4 because it's cheaper and I like the direction Sony is going in, Forza and Ryse are the only two games I am really interested in that are truly next-gen.

With that said, I know once I get the new systems I'll be putting away my old ones and I still have games I'd like to finish on them like GTA 5, ME3, and L.A. Noir and maybe even give Brothers a try since Brad and Jeff Canatta liked it so much. On top of all this there are games still coming out that I want to play this holiday. Beyond Two Souls, Zelda for the 3DS, and Mario for the Wii U. Also, right now my TV only does 720p, I can probably get a 1080p TV on Black Friday for cheap which means when I do get the new systems I'll have them in full upscaled glory. And lastly, I'm a bit worried about getting burned with bad hardware. While it's not my main concern since whatever is wrong will get fixed with a warranty I might not want to deal with the hassle. I feel like I just convinced myself to cancel my preorders.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Snail

Knack and Killzone: Shadowfall are enough for me, though I don't have a pre-order (but I wish I had). I don't understand how anyone who loves video-games could be not excited to play captivating titles debuting and heralding a fresh new generation.

EDIT: Also why isn't this thread a poll?

Pedrofrazillio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone don't want the console anymore, but already pre-ordered, please come talk to me. I am looking forward to buy one! My e-mail is pedrostanley@hotmail.com

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't be canceling out of lack of interest (though it is less than it was with Watch Dogs getting pushed back). I'm most likely not going to have the money ready in time though either lol.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Today I learned that the PS4 does not play cassettes. PRE-ORDER CANCELED.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#136  Edited By asurastrike

I pre-ordered a PS4 as much to have a new console, as for new games. So no, I won't be canceling my pre order.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#137  Edited By PandaBear

The Giant Bomb forums are going to shit. IGN levels of shit.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail said:

Knack and Killzone: Shadowfall are enough for me, though I don't have a pre-order (but I wish I had). I don't understand how anyone who loves video-games could be not excited to play captivating titles debuting and heralding a fresh new generation.

EDIT: Also why isn't this thread a poll?

I wanted details, not a simple yes or no. I was looking to sway myself to keeping my pre-order, but ended up cancelling. With the new details of no streaming media service I am glad I am cancelling. I will probably pick up a second PS3 during Black Friday (assuming I have cash to blow) to put into my living room as my fatty is quite loud.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By THRICE_604

If anything the last couple months have reinforced my decision to preorder. I'm pleased with what Sony has been showing. I like the launch line up of both consoles since they're 90% identical. The loss of Watchdogs and Drive Club only made me switch to AC4 and NFS Rivals. There is at least six retail titles alone I'm planning on getting before we even get into the spring releases like Destiny and Infamous in late winter. Sure most of what I'm getting is also current gen but hey if I can afford a next gen console why wouldn't I get the better version?

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By flippyandnod

No, I'm not canceling. I know how these launches work. You're lucky to get one good game, then you wait for the rest. It's not going to price drop for a year and I have the money, so there's no point in waiting.

Bear in mind global launches usually mean short supply for months, so if you want one before end of February, probably day 1 is your bet bet.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@marokai said:

Similarly, I've gotten tired of the "don't buy these consoles at launch!" whinging, and I'm not even going to be getting them at launch. Brad's made picking on the console launches his raison detre at this point, but always qualifies his statement with "But I'm sure in Spring there will be a lot of cool stuff to play on it."

It's easy to logical and patient when you know you'll have access to all content on all platforms regardless of whether you yourself buy it or not.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I'm not canceling. I know how these launches work. You're lucky to get one good game, then you wait for the rest. It's not going to price drop for a year and I have the money, so there's no point in waiting.

Bear in mind global launches usually mean short supply for months, so if you want one before end of February, probably day 1 is your bet bet.

You're even being a little conservative. It was two years before price drops for 360/PS3. And its going to be months until you can reliably walk into a store and get either console. Although I disagree with the one good game thing this time at least. The first party offerings of both consoles are not the best but they both have great line ups from third party this time. Everyone cancelling their preorders are judging based on first party exclusives? Who cares if Killzone or Knack isn't you're cup of tea. Or if Ryse looks bland or hell Forza is weird because its got a laser focused audience there is a dozen third party titles right behind them.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krakn3dfx: of those 35 games, I only really want to play 3.

I'll likely get a PS4 around this time next year. An E3 will have passed, hopefully with the promise of more games, and I'll have whatever games that came out in 2014 to consider.