#1 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2499 posts) -

From Mark Rubin's Twitter

GHOSTS ONLINE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE: I wanted to give a quick update on some of the work that has been done to improve everyone’s online experience. We’ve already mentioned dedicated servers as part of the overall plan to improve connectivity. Dedicated servers will be used on current gen, next gen and PC with Ghosts. And, in order to make sure that people have the best possible experience regardless of platform, location or connection, Ghosts will be using a hybrid system of dedicated servers and listen servers. So no matter where you are the game will always be trying to give you the best online performance possible. There is also some great new tech in the matchmaking system that will place players in matches that have the best combined overall connectivity performance. Again these are just some of the things that are going into Call of Duty: Ghosts to give players a great online experience. Can’t wait to see you all online.”

Not a huge surprise, but now pretty much confirmation that all platforms current and next will be getting dedis. Good to hear for people who were concerned though. As I've said before, these companies love the word 'exclusive' and use it generously when they can, so when IW didn't use it in regards to the XB1 dedis they announced at the MP announce, that should have said it all.

#2 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3825 posts) -

Twitter user: "thanks for the update. so ps4 and ps3 will also get dedicated server?"

Mark Rubin of Infinity Ward: "I can't call out other platforms by name but one might assume that from what I wrote."

Ridiculous.

#3 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2499 posts) -

Twitter user: "thanks for the update. so ps4 and ps3 will also get dedicated server?"

Mark Rubin of Infinity Ward: "I can't call out other platforms by name but one might assume that from what I wrote."

Ridiculous.

When they say "Money talks," they mean it.

#4 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

As I've said before, these companies love the word 'exclusive' and use it generously when they can, so when IW didn't use it in regards to the XB1 dedis they announced at the MP announce, that should have said it all.

So true. I dunno why everyone hasn't figured that out yet.

#5 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3825 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac said:

Ridiculous.

More like "money silences."

#6 Posted by Tobyus (102 posts) -

This is good yes :) ???

#7 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

Great news for Call Of Duty players.

#8 Edited by Humanity (9603 posts) -

But how can I be good at CoD without host advantage?!

There are still grenade launchers I hope??? And 1 shot across the map shotguns?

#9 Posted by THRICE_604 (210 posts) -

@krakn3dfx said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

Ridiculous.

More like "money silences."

As a Sony centric guy and a Call of Duty guy its always disconcerting how up CoD's ass Microsoft is. The past games had just as strong player numbers on PS3 and with BO2 there is a noticeable shift towards PS3 over 360 coinciding around the time PS3 overtook 360 in worldwide sales. Yet the narrative is always Xbox, Xbox, Xbox when the reality is hardly anything but. Its more even share than Microsoft or their marketing dollars to Activision would have you believe. Which is a real testament to the casual audience or the broad appeal of CoD who outright ignores the marketing message.

#10 Posted by Marokai (3064 posts) -

I thought this was supposed to be Microsoft's amazing cloud-power exclusive?

#11 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3825 posts) -

@humanity said:

But how can I be good at CoD without host advantage?!

There are still grenade launchers I hope??? And 1 shot across the map shotguns?

To be fair, modern Call of Duty titles have a perk that can be used to protect you from launchers, and I think the last COD that had a shotgun worth using was Modern Warfare 2. I loved Black Ops, I didn't care much for Black Ops 2, and I hated Modern Warfare 3. But none of my best games in any of those titles were a result of using shotguns or launchers.

Ever since the Black Ops, the only major issues with COD titles have been either host advantage, or map / spawn design. Dedicated servers will be a huge improvement for the series.

@marokai said:

I thought this was supposed to be Microsoft's amazing cloud-power exclusive?

That's certainly the impression that they wanted to give, isn't it? I was doubtful from the start, though. As said, they would have used the word "exclusive" if they were paying for an exclusive, and Sony would have to be out of their minds not to care about dedicated servers for the next console generation. I could maybe believe that with Sony's old arrogant ways, but not with the direction that they've been moving in lately.

#12 Posted by Humanity (9603 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac: I was only kidding around, although host advantage was a real and unfortunate phenomenon in Gears of War 2.

#13 Posted by Snail (8617 posts) -

I remember that the lack of dedicated servers in the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 turned me off from that game, and I never got back on the series ever since.

Who the fuck forces matchmaking on a PC shooter?