• 52 results
Avatar image for killer_meatballs
killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Poll Do you keep your PS4 in Standby mode? (181 votes)

Yes 67%
No 33%

I know this is a personal preference, but was just curious.

My PS4 is in a TV stand/cabinet and wasn't sure whether that would be a good idea as far as air flow/over-heating.

Also, where I live, the power blips out on occasion and didn't want that to negatively affect the console.

• 
Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I have been. It basically seems like the sleep mode on a pc so why not

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I want to but I'm nervous about it. I can go several days without playing a game so I'm worried that I'm just wasting power. Not enough games to warrant auto updates and such just yet.

Once I can tell it to download Transistor when I'm at work, I'll probably start to.

excido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I do. even my ps3 I would leave on for days at a time and I don't ever turn off my PC's either. I don't put the console on top of any other electronics and it's open air on all sides of it. I also keep my house at 68 degrees.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I turn it completely off.
I turn it completely off.

killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sackmanjones: I didn't even think about that! I keep my iMac in sleep mode and don't think twice about it. I do shut it down if I know a storm is coming though.

I guess I'm more so paranoid because it is in a cabinet and I worry about the airflow and don't want it to overheat. It's not jammed in there. I have space behind it and in front of it. And there is about 2-3 inches of space above it (the TV being on the stand about that.)

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I just hope noone is leaving their PS4 completely off and then complains about no auto-updates and auto-downloads.

Though I bet some people will. The internet, etc.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I have been when I need to charge the controller, and have been turning it off when I go to bed.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By monkeyking1969

I kept it on Stand By and didn't even question it. That seems to be how Sony intended the system to be when not in use, unless you were away on vacation or something drastic.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Stand-by when not using it. Just like I've been doing with my 60gig PS3 for 7 years or whatever. Sits on entertainment center shelf with plenty of open air. Specifically bought the piece because it was completely open front and back and thus good ventilation.

I doubt stand-by mode would be what causes it to break, but if it does, I'd rather it do it now when it's still under warranty.

That being said, no issues yet and I don't think I will.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope noone is leaving their PS4 completely off and then complains about no auto-updates and auto-downloads.

The PS4 auto-updates even when it's completely turned off.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Which is standby mode?

I've been turning it off, I think.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez said:

@selfconfessedcynic said:

The PS4 auto-updates even when it's completely turned off.

Only once a day though, right? If it's like PS3 it'd be sometime in the early morning / midnight?

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, if you leave it on standby it'll update / sync multiple times a day but if you turn if off it works like PS3 and just do it once?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only once a day though, right? If it's like PS3 it'd be sometime in the early morning / midnight?

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, if you leave it on standby it'll update / sync multiple times a day but if you turn if off it works like PS3 and just do it once?

Ah, I have no idea about the update frequency. If leaving it on standby makes it update multiple times per day, that sounds interesting.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I turn it off, but I will leave it in standby if I decide to buy a game digitally or some other special case like that.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Yup. That way I can still use it sitting in bed with my Vita. Remote Play will turn the console back on from stand by.

killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By killer_meatballs

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking I'll probably turn it off when I go to work, but leave it in standby when I come home and on the weekends.

No Caption Provided

If I were to leave in on Standby all the time, would this be good if I left the door cracked open? As far as airflow?

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By FunkyHugo

I don't think I will. The option sounds really cool and all, but I don't know how much power it will spend using it.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I use standby when I know I'll be playing again in a while. I turn it off when I know I won't be.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that shit is ready to go all day every day... For like three days.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By tourgen

I did, but today I had a few power bumps and a short power outage. The PS4 came back on and gave me a warning message, then did a self check and reset again, after telling me I was a bad person for removing the power cord while it was in standby mode.

I'm going to fully power it down from now on.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I leave it in standby mode. Got to warm up all the electronics inside like with my new TV.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Marz

ps4 uses 10watts when in standby and goes up to 70w when it downloads something in standby.... so i wouldn't worry bout it being to expensive. (info from ars technica)

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was until I discovered it was auto uploading everything to PS+ storage. Now I am turning it off. Until there is another system update to disable/enable auto uploading and downloading separately.

The problem with this, is that it uploads everything to the cloud storage. EVERYTHING. And it filled up pretty fast. And was constantly sending me notices that it was full. Super annoying.

killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tourgen: This is what I was afraid of. My area seems to get brief power outages at times, and I don't want to subject the system to that.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@tourgen: This is what I was afraid of. My area seems to get brief power outages at times, and I don't want to subject the system to that.

yep, kind of in the same situation. Really it's just like any other computer you might leave running during the day. If it's writing to the HD during a power blip it could all go very bad.

Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I have all my electronics except for my modem on 1 surge protector. I always shut it off before I go to sleep. Old habit.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For now, yes. If the 10w power consumption thing is true, there's not much of a reason not to, aside from the power outage fears that has been expressed here. But if the thing about auto-downloads still happening even if the system is turned off is true, then there's not much reason not to just turn it off all the way either.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

How cool does it stay in standby mode? I assume it's pretty cool, but I don't have a PS4 so I can't say. I have heard the system gets warm during play.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm nervous about using it at launch. I'll start once there are a couple firmware updates. There's no reason for this paranoia but I don't want to take any chances

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The AC4 patch and the 1.51 update didn't download while in standby mode so I don't see the point using it unless for charging my controller.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt stand-by mode would be what causes it to break, but if it does, I'd rather it do it now when it's still under warranty.

That being said, no issues yet and I don't think I will.

Turning electronics on and off a lot is probably more of a shock to them than going from sleep to on.

If you are using it often and heat isn't an issue it would probably be better to put it in sleep rather than turning it on and off a bunch.

I doubt either will hurt it in the long run, though. I sure do hope these machines manage to last it was a weird feeling knowing my Xbox 360 was going to eventually die.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The AC4 patch and the 1.51 update didn't download while in standby mode so I don't see the point using it unless for charging my controller.

I don't think it constantly pings for things to download/install, it's not clear how often it does.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

If I know I'm going back to the ps4 later that day or so, sure I'll put it in standby. Otherwise, I'm powering it down completely.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Corvak

Yes. I like having things download for me, instead of waiting. It runs really quiet and I can't really see a downside to it.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I have been leaving mine in standby, but after reading what people have said about power blips/outages I think I'm going to start powering off. We get random power outages where I live and I'm terrified it'll ruin my PS4 now. :P

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I live in Florida, so I don't trust having things on or even partially on during a storm.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

It automatically downloads and applies patches and whatnot in standby. So: why not?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have one yet but yes. I used to always unplug my PS3 but then I was like fuck it and now I leave it on standby for weeks.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By ttocs

Mine has been on standby when I'm not playing and I got mine on release day. I'm sure the power consumption is trivial and the airflow issues from a cabinet won't affect the system. It's a very low power state and the heat is probably very low as well. I know a lot of people are paranoid about a new device but in a year you'll all be using the standby option most likely after the novelty of a new console wears off and it's just your trusty PS4.

And the poster above me - that's different. The PS4 didn't have a standby mode like the PS4 has. What you were doing was shutting down the PS3. The PS4 basically has an extremely low powered option to put the machine to sleep like a PC.

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By daggon55

I get a bit obsessive with making sure my electronics are off and not drawing power. I used to work for an energy efficiency software startup which got me in the habit of try to be as EE as possible. Of course working there I also knew the math on a lot of that stuff, like powering off your computer instead of just sleeping it, works out to like maybe $1 a month at most residential power rates.

On the other hand thousands of people leaving electronics on drawing power when its not needed adds up to a lot of kWh wasted. So, maybe don't leave it suspended all the time, at the very least turn it to full off when you're at work or sleeping. Save some energy duders :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the equivalent of having a PS3 switched to on but turned off, right? When just the red light shows? If that's the case I don't see why not.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

It's the equivalent of having a PS3 switched to on but turned off, right? When just the red light shows? If that's the case I don't see why not.

I don't think so. That was basically turning the system off, right? Nothing went on in the background. If something needed to be downloaded the system would turn off and then off again to do whatever needed to be done. With this, when in standby everything can continue working as normal with downloads and such it's just in a sleep state where a bunch of the other systems are turned off.

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have it standby but for some reason when i wake it up from standby i get no audio -.-

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have it standby but for some reason when i wake it up from standby i get no audio -.-

That sounds like it's working as intended. Why would you want audio if you're coming from standby? Just kidding, that's really weird.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Always off when not using. And if I will be away from it a bit I unplug it totally. Waste of power and I don't trust leaving big things plugged in when away. I know it's weird.

jeanespinosa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum: its funny right after i posted this i turned it on and it worked fine.

evanrs44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By evanrs44

@jeanespinosa21:

I have this same issue! I think it's related to my tv though and not the ps4. To get the audio back, I either roll through every output setting on my tv, or turn my tv off and back on again.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@selfconfessedcynic: Technically, isn't the system still supposed to turn on for automatic syncing and cloud syncing at a certain point anyway? That's how the PS3 was for me. At 4AM every morning the system turned on to check for updates, sync my trophies, and check the OS version.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

@selfconfessedcynic: Technically, isn't the system still supposed to turn on for automatic syncing and cloud syncing at a certain point anyway? That's how the PS3 was for me. At 4AM every morning the system turned on to check for updates, sync my trophies, and check the OS version.

Yup, as I said in a later post, standby pushes multiple times per day (I believe), off pushes once at a predetermined point at night.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I do not have a PS4.