Finally getting a Ps4... Maybe

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

So I turned in my taxes and I will be picking up a ps4 with my return, one problem, the ones I see to buy don't really seem up to snuff...

If I get one I want it to be the first and last I get (it's what I usually plan for when getting a new console) until next gen, now this might be wishful thinking, but it's fine, let me have that. All i'm saying is that I'd like the best and the one with the most memory for the price that i can get currently on the market.

Problem:

The ones I've seen, I admit mostly through Gamestop, are 8GB and the white one with the destiny bundle sits at 40GB. Now the best of the best seems to be the black friday bundle that some gamestops are still seeming to offer (i doubt the one in my area has that) with 500GB.

The 8GB and 40GB seem so damn small and knowing how much you have to install and this and that, you'll end up quickly needed an external drive to hold things on.

I don't want to spend over 400$ on something I'll need to spend ADDITIONAL funds on to get something external. I don't have that kind of throw away cash, I am trying to keep most of my return for rainy day funds.
><

So someone PLEASE tell me that the 8GB and the 40GB are worth it, what you've downloaded, how many games your running, if you needed or have an external drive going, just give me the low down, i'd sorely appreciate it. If not...

I guess i'll be holding off buying.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

All PS4s have 500GB HDDs, there are no other skews. You either read it wrong or they wrote it wrong.

Games are generally 40GB+ with mandatory installs so those hard drive sizes are impossible. You literally can't play Destiny on a (theoretical) PS4 with a 40GB HDD.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

All PS4s have 500GB HDDs, there are no other skews. You either read it wrong or they wrote it wrong.

Games are generally 40GB+ with mandatory installs so those hard drive sizes are impossible. You literally can't play Destiny on a (theoretical) PS4 with a 40GB HDD.

I thought something sounded funny when i was going through them, but it was how it was written, i thought everything sounded stupid small on game stops website after I kept hearing about how much installation and shit things need anymore to run. I swear i wasn't reading wrong, I'm re-reading now, it's just how they are listed.. i was really having a hard time with thinking any of that would be worth it.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By militantfreudian

This seems like a decent deal. I would've gotten this if I hadn't bought one like 2 months ago.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@militantfreudian: hmm that isn't a bad deal. i'm glad to know my worries about storage are unfounded, now browsing for a console will be a lot less stress XD

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You sure you aren't looking at a PS3? Because there are absolutely no PS4's with an 8 or 40 GB HDD. It's literally impossible to play anything beyond tiny indie games on either of those HDD's. Send a link to what you're looking at because you're doing something wrong. All PS4's have 500 GB (400 in reality because the OS and stuff takes up 100).

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I had no idea there was a Mordor + Last of Us offer for 399. Took the chance and bought it. (now I just need an HDMI display.)

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ShaggE

Figures that there's a Mordor + Last of Us bundle one week after I bought the Last of Us bundle and Mordor separately. (worth it, though... Mordor is fantastic)

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Its really no big deal to swap HDD in PS4 so as long as your PS4 doesnt die you are set for this generation.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have my PS4 since launch and have no space issues yet. I just delete the games that I haven't played for a while and are big..

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: yes i'm looking at ps4's.. and no where on this page is there anything about the 500GB memory, they have listed as a 8 GB when they show a spec break down. Which as why my confusion. Hell my ps3 has more memory than that. Unless the GDDR5 is what they are talking about (which i admit i got no clue) But no where on there is there something saying 500GB.

I've been playing and buying consoles a long time, if it's me and I missed something, then that is a first for me. But if I did miss something please tell me so this never happens again.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Corevi

@catolf: They are referring to the RAM. It definitely has a 500 GB hard drive.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sogeman

they don't mention the HDD size yes, but Memory =/= Harddrive

just get any with whichever game you want. Difference is only the bundled game or the color with the Destiny bundle (if that's still available)

if you think 500gb aren't enough better buy a 2,5" drive to swap beforehand to avoid redownloading games and swapping saves over.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By notnert427

They're all 500GB, with 408GB available. Which isn't a whole lot if you go digital on your game purchases, since games can be 40 GB+ these days. Factor in patches, apps, movies, music, etc. and it'll disappear in a hurry. I have a Xbox One, which has 362 GB of it's 500 GB available, and I've already managed to use most of that up and had to plug in an external hard drive. If you plan on buying and keeping a bunch of games, you might just want to go ahead and replace the hard drive out of the box as @sogeman mentioned, as the PS4 doesn't offer external hard drive support at present as far as I know. You can also mitigate the issue by buying disc copies and not keeping much non-game stuff on there.

The hard drives on all the new consoles are proving to be inadequate given game sizes these days, so it's sadly a common issue. If you plan on having a good-sized library of games, you're investing in more storage space in one form or another. Just something to consider.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By John1912

@catolf: I just ordered one off Amazon. Came with a free digital copy of Last of Us, and a free year of PSN+. Free shipping as well. Looks like that deal expired, but now instead of PSN+ you can get Shadow of Mordor. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BGA9WK2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

400$

Also your confusing memory with the harddrive. Memory is what the CPU/GPU use to pull information that it is using very quickly. Which is 8gb. PS3 had 500 megs. Google computer memory for a image, and harddrive too maybe if you want to see the difference. The hard drives are 500 GB. I dont recall what the newer PS3s have but original models had 40-60GB hard drives. If you think of an office, memory would be what you are working on. Everything that is sitting on your desk. Your harddrive is the file cabinet across the room. Dont worry, just order one, there are no choices on specs.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@catolf: What Corevi said, that's the amount of RAM. It's not how much space the PS4 has. It definitely has 500 GB.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: Cool, I'm glad my worries are unfounded and this was just a misunderstanding. Now i just gotta look for a great deal!

@john1912: Luckkkyyyyy.. Damn I'm sad I missed that deal.

@notnert427: Ah okay I gotcha

@sogeman: I was actually thinking about the destiny bundle witht he white Ps4 (looks damn sexy)

@corevi: Ah i see

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By John1912

@catolf said:

@awesomeusername: Cool, I'm glad my worries are unfounded and this was just a misunderstanding. Now i just gotta look for a great deal!

@john1912: Luckkkyyyyy.. Damn I'm sad I missed that deal.

@notnert427: Ah okay I gotcha

@sogeman: I was actually thinking about the destiny bundle witht he white Ps4 (looks damn sexy)

@corevi: Ah i see

Well its same deal, just Shadow of Mordor instead of PSN+. The free shipping wasnt part of the deal. Its just free for the cheapest shipping option which is 4-7 days. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BGA9WK2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1