• 98 results
jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

PlayStation “Since ’95″ video charts the brand’s rise in the UK

You’ve probably heard that PlayStation 4 is launching soon. As part of an ongoing promotional campaign, Sony has released a short film that aims to “represent what PlayStation has meant to Britain since 1995.” Titled ‘Since ’95′, the film is a little slice of nostalgia.

Fans are encouraged to pay particular attention to the order that the PlayStation symbols appear in.

PlayStation 4 hits shelves in the UK on November 29.

Source

I can relate to this video. In the late 90`s playing Ridge racer, Tekken 3 , Gran Turismo and FF7 on the PS1 as the PS1 was the first gaming device i ever played at a young age.

Then a few years later getting the PS2 slim with GTA San Andreas and finally playing hundreds of games on that system!

I recognize that most people here will have earlier memories such as the Atari or the NES but this video really hit home to me.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Maybe Britten is different, but... ether that guy was in college for way too long then he should have. or he was way too close to his sister, and he has a black brother.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't have a Ps1, I played my FF7 on a pc!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RonGalaxy

I know the giant bomb dudes scoff at people like me, but Playstation is to me what Nintendo was for them.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Stuff like this always feels so fake. Personally I would have enjoyed it more if it were just a montage of the best Playstation games dating from 95. I also miss cartridges for some weird reason. Those things were terrible but they had the advantage of people having to make games instead of movies.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By jacdg

I know the giant bomb dudes scoff at people like me, but Playstation is to me what Nintendo was for them.

Same, Brad hates us.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@jacdg said:

@naru_joe93 said:

Same, Brad hates us.

Forget that Noob.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The most unrealistic thing about it was the Sony TV

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Man games suck now

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

My favorite PlayStation memory is the ridiculous moment in which they were awarded an Emmy for pioneering 3D polygonal graphics.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was really cool. THey could've had a better selection of games for each generation though...

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IIRC, 4 disks that included a goofy, special MIDI engine because for whatever reason it the system one wasn't good enough(?). I also remember the keyboard layout being somewhat nonsense directly mapping to the controller buttons. Good times.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RonGalaxy
Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

My favorite playstation moment was their 1995 price announcement (about 4 mins in):

Loading Video...

Take that $399 Sega Saturn

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RonGalaxy

@daneian said:

My favorite playstation moment was their 1995 price announcement (about 4 mins in):

Loading Video...

I dunno man, this shit was fucking intense as all hell

Loading Video...

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

@morningstar said:

IIRC, 4 disks that included a goofy, special MIDI engine because for whatever reason it the system one wasn't good enough(?). I also remember the keyboard layout being somewhat nonsense directly mapping to the controller buttons. Good times.

Oh I used a microsoft sidewinder gamepad, it worked great. They keyboard was terrible though :P

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daneian said:

Loading Video...

LOL What the hell that's awesome

Gilipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just an absolutely beautiful video. Very good attention to detail.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

That black dude looks like he jumped out of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. This is OK in 1995, it was pretty silly in 2000, but it got kind of ridiculous when he was playing a PSP.

I guess that's why he's hanging out with a white gamer dude.

...is that racism or some broader form of stereotyping?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That black dude looks like he jumped out of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. This is OK in 1995, it was pretty silly in 2000, but it got kind of ridiculous when he was playing a PSP.

I guess that's why he's hanging out with a white gamer dude.

...is that racism or some broader form of stereotyping?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKneXYe1YFw

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

THE FUTURE IS BLUE.

But yeah, neat video. I was a Playstation guy myself, so it does resonate with me on some level.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

This video is awesome.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagbiker said:

Maybe Britten is different, but... ether that guy was in college for way too long then he should have. or he was way too close to his sister, and he has a black brother.

lol

Also way to miss the point of the video.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since 1995?
Well I guess if people have forgotten about the 80s then yaaay, a video for me!

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@boozak said:

Stuff like this always feels so fake.

Agreed. But if you compare this to any of MS or Nintendo's marketing, it might as well be an emotionally profound documentary. At least they did lots of cool stuff in this ad with the sets and actors, as opposed to the other consoles' insistence that their fans all live in the most sterile, bright living rooms possible.

HermanBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it. Replace the London skyline with Surrey, add a LOT more pizza boxes and bingo.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By IAmNotBatman

@dagbiker: *Britain

I think they're supposed to be flatmates, roommates, renting out a place together or whatever you wanna call it.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Wraxend

Didn't realise that guy lives in an alternate reality where DriveClub came out at launch. But a cool video none the less definitely hitting all the nostalgia buttons in my head lol.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, awesome vid! I grew up in London and am in my mid 20s so this fits my childhood to a tee

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it. Replace the London skyline with Surrey, add a LOT more pizza boxes and bingo.

Surrey represent!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

That just makes me feel old. "Hey guys remember way back in 1995!!!"

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Great tribute. Even though I go back to the eighties my life still went through all these phases with Sony. Love it.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I once was searching for PSone commercial and stumbled into this VHS promo. I think it's awesome, I watch it every two months or so.

Loading Video...

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By xyzygy

Sony: Brought to you by Domino's

You have to admit this was pretty cheesy. I grew up with Nintendo and shouldn't the guy in this video should have too? He was about 18 when the PS1 came out, it looked like. Also why is he still 18 when the PS4 comes out?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: A perfect example is Ryan. He grew up in a period where jeff was into Atari and the Commodore 64 the amiga etc. Yet on the Bombcast a couple of Years ago Ryan said his First gaming Expierence was Nintendo. It is totally acceptable of people not having there first console experience when they were young.

Just because you grew up with nintendo why should other peoples first gaming expierence be nintendo or Playstation or Sega?

Gaming is not specific to an age group. Kids , Parents and Grandparents are probably having there first gaming experience right now so it is not good to generalize people like that.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Didn't quite pull at the heartstrings as much as I'd have liked it to, but it was alright.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By TheKing

Fantastic video!

@dagbiker: Someone posted a theory on Reddit "this kid isn't 'living at home for 18' years, the two main protagonists represent the 'players' of that time for the specific PlayStation generation."

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like the PS4 Start up on the TV is Identical to the PS2 Start up sound.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone else notice the aspect ratio change? I only realised it after watching it again because the starting thumbnail had black bars. Sony pulling a fast one on me.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By laserguy

I liked that ad. I remember playing Resident Evil for the first time, and buying Gran Turismo. I still had a Sega.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 MattyFTM  Moderator

It's the little details that make that advert so awesome. The way it starts in 4:3 and subtly transitions into widescreen. The way the consoles change from the original to the redesigned model when the camera pans back around. Really cool. Sony is pushing all the right buttons with the PS4 marketing.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@xyzygy: A perfect example is Ryan. He grew up in a period where jeff was into Atari and the Commodore 64 the amiga etc. Yet on the Bombcast a couple of Years ago Ryan said his First gaming Expierence was Nintendo. It is totally acceptable of people not having there first console experience when they were young.

Just because you grew up with nintendo why should other peoples first gaming expierence be nintendo or Playstation or Sega?

Gaming is not specific to an age group. Kids , Parents and Grandparents are probably having there first gaming experience right now so it is not good to generalize people like that.

Jeff was born three years earlier than Ryan. It may not seem like a lot, but in terms of video game cycles it is. Jeff was 9 when the NES came out, obviously he had playing games prior to that. Ryan was 6, so it's not crazy that he hadn't been exposed to games before the NES.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

FunkyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

I grew up with Nintendo and shouldn't the guy in this video should have too? He was about 18 when the PS1 came out, it looked like. Also why is he still 18 when the PS4 comes out?

I can't speak for the whole of the U.K. but for me everyone I knew had a Sega console apart from one person, we all had master systems and them moved on to Mega Drives. I can still remember arguing with a friend that the Saturn was better than the Playstation before either had even come out! Then I played another friends' Saturn and felt how bad it was first hand which was one of the deciding factors for me getting a Playstation. So really he should have had a Mega Drive...maybe?

Short answer is that this is a promo video that doesn't care for continuity.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46  Edited By turboman

I wonder if the guy behind the PS3 baby ad is still hired anywhere.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think it's a pretty good advert, but it doesn't really feel like I experienced those systems in any way.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Great ad. Reminds me of how in touch Sony was near the launch of the PS1 and throughout the console's lifespan. I hope they kill it this generation because Microsoft needs the competition BADLY in the States.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aleryn: Sony in general was killing it in the 90s, probably the height of their relevancy.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Domino's Pizza in the beginning, wtf Sony? Did you guys forget about those Pizza Hut demo discs?