This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by HansKaosu (681 posts) -

Aording to a snapshot of a deleted forum post, the interns at a Foxconn manufacturing plant in Yantai, China have sabotaged the PS4. This was first reported on the IGN forums here. Unfortunately, the forum was locked. The IGN forum author tried to elaborate more here. Here is a snapshot of the actual post:

On Aug. 28th, one of the student started a thread stating that "Since foxconn are not treating us well, we will not treat ps4 console well. The ps4 console we assemble can be turned on at best". This thread has been deleted but got snapshot.

If your ps4 console was manufactured in Yantai China, then I wish you good luck.

http://corruptedcartridge.com/ps4-sabotaged-news/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=717737

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/broken-playstation-4-systems

#2 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Uh oh.

That's messed up if true.

edit: And I don't even know who would be to blame... the employees? Foxconn? Sony? Us? I mean, in the end it's the consumer who wants cheap electronics.

#3 Posted by TheBrainninja (175 posts) -

Bummer! Hope that turns out to be bluster. Glad I got the extended warranty, just in case. Launch units are always a gamble.

#4 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4137 posts) -

I saw that in a chat, I forget where. Hm..

Its awfully possible, sure. Same conditions with iPhone, unfortunately. And I'm scared as fuck XONE is gonna get something similar. Err...

Now, still, hmm..

#5 Posted by Superfriend (1520 posts) -

The worst part about this: Foxconn has "interns".

Fuck. I bet they don´t earn a single penny for the freaking slave labor they have to endure.

#6 Posted by HansKaosu (681 posts) -

The work conditions are so bad that there have been several mass suicide threats in the past from workers.

#7 Posted by RonGalaxy (2839 posts) -

The work conditions are so bad that there have been several mass suicide threats in the past from workers.

not just threats. There were so many people jumping from rooftops at foxconn that they had to install nets. Fucked up

#8 Posted by ZolRoyce (621 posts) -

Don't worry though, they put nets up! Problem solved right? GET BACK TO WOOOOOORK!

Foxconn sounds like a terrible place and to be honest if even one employee was screwing around with PS4s I wouldn't blame them. I doubt it will make a difference at all, chances are they would just catch whoever was doing it and fire them/make things worse on them.

#9 Edited by development (1997 posts) -

This is the equivalent of me working at a deli saying "if the store won't treat me well, then I won't treat your sandwiches well." They aren't saying they're going to go and break your PS4 intentionally; they're saying they don't want to put the effort in. Which, honestly, is expected, and is happening all over the world, in every industry, in every store. Nothing news-worthy. Show me the post where a user is saying they're super fucking psyched about their job and work environment, and are putting in the extra effort to make sure your PS4 ships in tip-top shape. Show me that post and you'll have a story worth reading.

At the end of the day it's merely the words of a single person, who gave no proof that they even work at Foxconn. With how bad Foxconn's reputation is, it's more likely an activist posing as a worker. I'm pretty sure almost all Foxconn workers (especially interns) are too poor to even get on the internet (not a joke; just sad truth).

edit: key word in all of this is "rumor."

#10 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

blood PS4s

#11 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

This is the equivalent of me working at a deli saying "if the store won't treat me well, then I won't treat your sandwiches well." They aren't saying they're going to go and break your PS4 intentionally; they're saying they don't want to put the effort in. Which, honestly, is expected, and is happening all over the world, in every industry, in every store. Nothing news-worthy. Show me the post where a user is saying they're super fucking psyched about their job and work environment, and are putting in the extra effort to make sure your PS4 ships in tip-top shape. Show me that post and you'll have a story worth reading.

At the end of the day it's merely the words of a single person, who gave no proof that they even work at Foxconn. With how bad Foxconn's reputation is, it's more likely an activist posing as a worker. I'm pretty sure almost all Foxconn workers (especially interns) are too poor to even get on the internet (not a joke; just sad truth).

whoa cool it there Rush, no you're right though working 60 hours a week for pennies is just like a teen bitching about working at Subway

that's why Foxconn is located in a place with no labor laws, cus they're totally legit

#12 Posted by subyman (587 posts) -

Eh, one forum post that was deleted and we have a vast conspiracy brewing.

#13 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

Sounds legit.

#14 Posted by iragequit (334 posts) -

Foxconn interns killed Kennedy.

You heard it here first.

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

I guess we know what the Foxconn says.....

#16 Posted by Hailinel (23680 posts) -

@development: Right, because working extended hours as a sandwich artist is exact same thing as working at an electronics plant where the labor laws make your sandwich-making ass look like the most entitled twit on the planet.

#17 Posted by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

Wait, wait. That's totally fucked up. I won't get my PS4? Man, human cruelty knows no bounds.

#18 Edited by alternate (2679 posts) -

weak hoax

#19 Posted by obcdexter (568 posts) -

Can't blame 'em if, at all, true. Shit they have to go through is messed up. Not a Sony-exclusive issue, though.

#20 Edited by Darkstalker (677 posts) -

@zolroyce said:

@hanssatori said:

Don't worry though, they put nets up! Problem solved right? GET BACK TO WOOOOOORK!

Foxconn sounds like a terrible place and to be honest if even one employee was screwing around with PS4s I wouldn't blame them. I doubt it will make a difference at all, chances are they would just catch whoever was doing it and fire them/make things worse on them.

whats more crazy is there suicide rates is far less than in the average workplace in china. or so ive heard. labour laws there are f'ed up

#21 Posted by development (1997 posts) -

@hailinel: @ryanwhom: I expected these responses, but hoped I worded it well enough. Guess not. The trouble with using comparisons is people often attribute the comparison to their own presumed meaning and not in the context it's being used in. In other words, I was using the comparison to convey the intent of the worker; to convey an idea; not to say the working conditions of one are the same as the other. A comparison for the purpose of expressing an idea. Try to go back and read the comment without assuming I'm a crazy conservative. If you read the final sentence you'd see the bit where I make note of the unfortunate situation the Foxconn workers find themselves in.

My mistake, like usual, is assuming people aren't reactionary and as sensational as possible. I constantly amaze myself with how incorrect this is. I give some of you guys too much credit, evidently.

#22 Posted by falserelic (5278 posts) -

Those bastards.

#23 Posted by mina_mina752 (121 posts) -

sabotage....DESTROY THE OBJECTIVE !

#24 Edited by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

@subyman said:

Eh, one forum post that was deleted and we have a vast conspiracy brewing.

Par for the course.

#25 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@ryanwhom said:

blood PS4s

too bad this didn't happen to the xbone, because that flows much better

blood bones are foreverrrrrr

#26 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5135 posts) -

Everything about that sucks.

#27 Edited by Freshbandito (642 posts) -

@development said:

@hailinel: @ryanwhom: I expected these responses, but hoped I worded it well enough. Guess not. The trouble with using comparisons is people often attribute the comparison to their own presumed meaning and not in the context it's being used in. In other words, I was using the comparison to convey the intent of the worker; to convey an idea; not to say the working conditions of one are the same as the other. A comparison for the purpose of expressing an idea. Try to go back and read the comment without assuming I'm a crazy conservative. If you read the final sentence you'd see the bit where I make note of the unfortunate situation the Foxconn workers find themselves in.

My mistake, like usual, is assuming people aren't reactionary and as sensational as possible. I constantly amaze myself with how incorrect this is. I give some of you guys too much credit, evidently.

No you'll find the problem is that you think you are far more intelligent than you are in reality and in your attempts to seem intelligent you instead project smarm and a sense of someone so wildly out of touch with empathy for the way another human beings mind might work that most people will instantly think you are another one of those disconnected from reality internet dwellers who may have mild autism.

Try wording your comments like you aren't above your peers next time and maybe you'll be able to talk to other people without them instantly disliking you.

Edit: you also used the word 'equivalent' in doing so you directly created an equivalency between working at a deli and working in a near slave labor factory with no labor laws, your own wording is what people are going off of here, the problem lies there not with sensationalism in those replying.

#28 Posted by Levio (1782 posts) -

Managers are probably held responsible for defect rates, and any spike in rates could probably be traced back to a specific assembly line based on the ID numbers of the defective PS4s.

For better or for worse, I doubt any individual could get away with such sabotage.

#29 Posted by Freshbandito (642 posts) -

@levio: The worst part about it is it'll just mean more problems for the people down on the shitty end of the situation working in conditions that lead to attempts to make a stand whilst the people creating such atrocious working conditions and profiting from it all will continue to do well.

#30 Posted by MB (11891 posts) -

There was a duplicate topic about this yesterday that I closed, and I'm going to close this one too. Here is my response from last night's thread...please do a little research before you post (or buy into) stories like this.

After doing a little of my own due diligence on this "story", I am closing this topic.

The story linked at the site "corruptedcartridge.com" is written by an "aspiring journalist" - essentially a nobody, who himself linked to a thread on IGN as his only source which was closed because it also stated the same intern sabotage story with zero corroborating evidence.

There is absolutely nothing to back this nonsense up. If something legitimate does surface, we'll go from there.