#1 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6401 posts) -

I'll be getting my beautiful bundle of gaming joy in a month and change. I've been hunting down game recommendation forums to decide what games, if any, I'll be buying, but there's a (probably unsurprising) lack of talk about the PS4's free to play games. So I figured I'd take some time and create a thread specifically for the purpose of discussing your F2P recommendations. Alternately, if you've had some negative experiences with the PS4's F2p games, feel free to vent your frustrations here as well.

What I really don't want to see in this thread is people coming in and saying, "Frie two Pulay suckzors!" I'd like experienced, battle-hardened veterans of the PS4's free-to-play games only. If you don't have something constructive or particularly useful to say, let's keep it out of here, okay? Thanks!

So here are the games I've found.. Someone hit me up if I've missed anything. I'm unfamiliar with all but the very basics of any of these games, so please, feel free to share if you've played them on the PS4 or elsewhere.

• Warframe
  • Blacklight Retribution
  • Planetside 2
  • DC Universe Online

I feel like I'm missing some. Any thoughts on these or others?

#2 Posted by lun49gameon (148 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw: I have played DC universe online on both PC and PS4 and it is surprisingly very entertaining for me. After a couple of years of playing a traditional fantasy mmo such as runescape , it was somewhat refreshing to play DC universe. I like how the combat is fast paced, and you can be a hero or villain. The storyline in the game and the DC characters really make me always come back to this game. Depending on what side you pick you might have superman and start out in metropolis, you can be mentored by batman and do missions in Gotham city or decide to join the dark side and help the Joker. There's three mentors for each side with each one being from an origin of meta, tech, or magic. One feature I really like in this game is the Legends pvp, that lets you battle with other people as famous characters in the DC universe. Overall its an alright online game for me, although I still wish It had a more comic style like Champions online has. If you are looking to get into this game I suggest you spend at least $5 dollars so you can become fremium and enjoy the game more.

#3 Posted by TurboMan (7735 posts) -

Planetside 2 isn't out yet, but I'll dabble with it when it does.

Warframe is a fun little online coop mode that found it's use when there were no PS4 games out at launch. War Thunder is a bit of fun also, but it wasn't anything that I would continue playing.

#4 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1937 posts) -

Well, I haven't played any of those on PS4, so I can't speak to the ports, but I have played them all on PC (or in the case of DCU, on PS3).

Planetside 2:
Of those four games, this is the one I've spent the most time in and gotten the most enjoyment out of. At its best it delivers all the amazing scale and dynamic moments you'd get out of a Battlefield match, except with 10 times as many people or more. The weapon handling is great and the maps are fucking enormous with tons of contention points. On the downside though, without at least 4 or 5 friends to play with you can get a serious "1 among many" vibe and it often feels like your an inconsequential part of a faceless horde of soldiers. Also, when things slow down they really slow down. The game does do a decent job of showing where the shit's popping off, but if you find yourself somewhere quiet and your relocate cooldown is still in effect, prepare for boredom. Also, the F2P implementation isn't the most friendly, as it can take a ridiculously long time to unlock stuff if you're not willing to put any money in. On the whole Planetside 2 is a fun shooter in that Battlefield mold that takes things to an insane degree of scale. If you've got some friends to play with I definitely recommend giving it a shot.

Warframe:
I haven't played it in a while, but it always came across as super grindy to me. The shooting didn't seem great and the enemies didn't really present much in the way of dynamic encounters. The visuals were nice and the loot and RPG elements were a nice bonus, I just didn't love the core action enough to get very far in.

DC Universe Online:
I really wanted to love this game, being a big fan DC, but I just couldn't. The main problem I had was that it didn't really capture the stuff I enjoy about the DC Universe. It just seemed like a standard ass MMO with some DC fiction painted on top, rather than a game designed to bring the DC universe to life. Granted, I was in it for the DC fiction and not the MMO trappings (not really a fan of MMOs). If you like WoW style MMOs and DC stuff you'll probably enjoy the game, but it just didn't do it for me.

Blacklight Retribution:
From what little I've played of this it seemed totally fine, I just never had much cause to really devote it any real time. Whether it be on PS4 or PC, I always felt like I had better multiplayer shooter options available to me so I never really bothered to dig too deep into this one. Sorry I can't be of more help with this one.

#5 Edited by Zeik (2775 posts) -

I put quite a lot of time into Warframe awhile back and I found it to be one of the better F2P games I've come across. It's not without it's issues (technical and otherwise) but it has very little of the F2P microtransaction bullshit that plagues other games. You can generally get anything you want just by playing. I found it to be the type of game that's best suited for the type of person who likes to play around with different builds in RPGs and like lots of toys (weapons) to play with. The thing that kept me playing was the allure of new frames and new weapons to play with. The developers also seem very devoted to improving the game, which I have to respect.

I tried playing DC Universe on several occasions, but I could never get into it. The character creator just feels too limiting (especially the free version) and combat just isn't very good. It's free though, so it doesn't hurt to give it a try. Just keep in mind that basically every decent name is taken at this point, so be prepared for your hero to be named like some kind of crappy knockoff rental hero.

#6 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3906 posts) -

Warframe is a good game, and the developers put serious work into improving it all the time. Spend your starter platinum currency on extra Warframe and Weapon slots as needed, and you could get upwards of 100 hours before you need to put any money down to continue enjoying the game. Just buy slots (primarily Warframe slots), not the Warframes / weapons themselves. Those you can get through buying blueprints with in-game currency and farming bosses a bit.

I've heard DC Universe is good, but it eventually does have a paywall.

You didn't mention War Thunder, but I haven't put too much time into that one, so I can't give advice.

#7 Posted by Amafi (924 posts) -

I've played something like 15 hours of dc universe online and it's quite good. Haven't hit any kind of paywall yet at least, quest and world design is very much standard mmo fare, but the combat and movement is good.

#8 Edited by Pazy (2601 posts) -

Warframe is a great F2P if you have the time.

There is a certain amount of grinding but not completely egregious but once you hit a certain point in the game then getting the extra Warframes (classes) is fairly easy. Its definately a bit of a timesink but you can actually play it F2P though when you want to pay I, personally, think its a bit expensive.

The actual game is great. Its a really well done Third-Person Shooter/Melee game with powers and the combinations of different melee weapons, ranged weapons and Warframes makes it feel very different.

If you have friends I would recommend this one, its a great game.

DC Universe Online

Personally this is not a game I can recommend anyone play. I could be missing a certain trick but the game fairly quickly expects you to start paying money and fall into the late game MMO grind phase (2 dungeon runs a week for 6 months). The 1-30 leveling sections are pretty boring outside of some specific instanced areas where you are inside a Villain/Heroes base (and get a nice animated cutscene to explain that character) that end a quest line. The dungeons below lvl30 I find to be terrible because the game says it has the "Holy Trinity" (Tank, Healer and DPS) but then just has "Kill 40 things in an Area" so everyone DPS's until maybe the last boss.The post 30 dungeons are a lot more fun and tightly done as well as the addition of Duo's (two man dungeons) but after starting in 2010 they have never reset the game so its just gotten longer and longer and each additional Tier of Gear just makes it harder to get to where everyone else is. I would love to play more of this game but it seems built against new players, at least to me. If they make an expansion WoW style with a bit of new levelling and a Gear reset then I would really look to player it.

#9 Posted by spraynardtatum (3728 posts) -

Warframe is cool until you want to start unlocking other Warframes, Blacklight is laggy and I wouldn't recommend it, War Thunder is dumb but pretty, Planetside is good on PC until you want to start unlocking things, and I paid for DC Universe Online back in the day and barely played it.

#10 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3508 posts) -

Warframe is awesome but yeah, grindy. The tragedy of that game is how amazing it could have been as a retail product.

DCUO is OK but really it just depends on "do you like mmos?" as it is what it is.

You missed that WWII flying game.. Warplane? Warface Plane? Warthunder?

Obviously you should get PS+ if you don't have it already.

#11 Posted by Amafi (924 posts) -

Warframe is cool until you want to start unlocking other Warframes, Blacklight is laggy and I wouldn't recommend it, War Thunder is dumb but pretty, Planetside is good on PC until you want to start unlocking things, and I paid for DC Universe Online back in the day and barely played it.

I know some people with like 800 hours in warframe on the PC. It's kinda nutty. Never really grabbed me, if I want to play that kind of co-op 3rd person shooter thing, I fire up Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

#12 Posted by AlexGBRO (329 posts) -
#13 Posted by Amafi (924 posts) -

@alexgbro said:

@sparky_buzzsaw: war thunder is out?

Been for a while, I downloaded it the night I got my PS4, not launched it yet though.

#14 Edited by Corevi (5044 posts) -
@amafi said:

I know some people with like 800 hours in warframe on the PC. It's kinda nutty. Never really grabbed me, if I want to play that kind of co-op 3rd person shooter thing, I fire up Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

I have over 200 hours in Warframe and I prefer it over ME3 multiplayer because you are always working towards a specific goal. I want that specific frame or that specific weapon, while in ME3 it's just I'll get credits and then buy this box and see what I get. Warframe is more motivating to me.

#15 Posted by Amafi (924 posts) -

@amafi said:

I have over 200 hours in Warframe and I prefer it over ME3 multiplayer because you are always working towards a specific goal. I want that specific frame or that specific weapon, while in ME3 it's just I'll get credits and then buy this box and see what I get. Warframe is more motivating to me.

Yeah, I can absolutely see that. Whenever I fire it up I usually just want to do a mission or three and then I tend to leave it for a couple weeks again, and I just prefer the structure of killing floor or me3 for a quick fix like that.

#16 Posted by greedy_fly_x (6 posts) -

I tried both Warframe and Blacklight: Retribution and they were just 'meh' to me.

I was most excited for Planetside 2 but figured it would have been out by now. I have a feeling it's going to get lost in the shuffle of all the other big games coming out later this year and early next.