#1 Posted by JFunkhouser (70 posts) -

Has anyone tried jacking in a pair of headphones in the controller for the game audio? If so, is the sound quality servicable? Not getting my PS4 until the 29th (EU), and my GFs parents are coming in that weekend (OMG the timing) to hog the TV, and my other screen doesn't have any speakers and the PS4 doesn't have analog out. So, opinions?

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

I don't have a PS4, though if you've got a Vita you could always remote-play.

#3 Posted by Mister_V (1422 posts) -

Brad said on the live stream that the quality was pretty good.

#4 Posted by brutushayesosu (139 posts) -

I'm using the Sony Pulse Elites with it and IMO it sounds great. Microphone works too.

#5 Posted by JFunkhouser (70 posts) -

@toowalrus Yeah, don't have a Vita, it's a pretty cool feature though.

@mister_v Nice, if Brad says it's alright, it's probably alright. Tried to catch the live stream but I missed it because life. And time difference.

#6 Edited by Bulby33 (611 posts) -

As someone with an XBONE preorder (though I plan on getting the PS4 sometime next year) this makes me bummed that Microsoft didn't include this feature. It's not a huge to deal, though, as I have an Astro mixamp anyways, but... still. That's a pretty awesome feature.

#7 Edited by JFunkhouser (70 posts) -

@brutushayesosu Sounds good!

@bulby33 Yeah, as a (somewhat) responsible adult with people in my household that need their beauty sleep, it's a fucking fantastic feature :)

#8 Posted by Spoonman671 (4749 posts) -

My headphones are pretty crummy, but it still sounds decent.

#9 Posted by rachelepithet (1392 posts) -

I have it, and use my Vmoda Bassfreq earphones, Koss Portapros, and Klipsche S4i's with it and it sounds great. Like 256-320kbps MP3. Very bass heavy. The surround sound effect holds up pretty well, maybe not for detecting someone walking right behind you, but someone shooting you from far away left and right sounds rightly distant. And doesn't have that airy, hollow, echo-ie concert hall effect of DSP surround/dolby headphone/prologic2 on things like Windows media player,.

#10 Edited by rachelepithet (1392 posts) -

Here, I recorded the sound into Audacity as a WAV file. Bear in mind, it recorded the volume a bit too quiet than what it really sounds like, so maybe turn up your speakers/phones on your PC now to hear the quality.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnm8b662pil9byv/COD%20Ghosts%20Dualshock4%20Output.wav

Dropbox COD Ghosts Dualshock4 Output WAV

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

I'm using my PS3 Pulse headset connected to the DS4 and it sounds good.

#12 Edited by SSully (4271 posts) -
#13 Edited by TurboMan (7687 posts) -

Sounded perfectly find on my end. This is probably my favorite feature of the PS4.

#14 Posted by rachelepithet (1392 posts) -
#15 Posted by UpInLights (21 posts) -

It's sound pretty good I've been using apple headphones

#16 Posted by Lava (672 posts) -

I've got a pair of bose in ear headphones and it sounds absolutely fantastic. This is one of my favorite features.

#17 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

seems pretty good, better than average. I tried it with some Sennheiser HD 205's.

#18 Edited by JFunkhouser (70 posts) -

@boocreepyfootdoctor Thanks for the effort man. Sounds much better than I thought it would. Definitely servicable for some late night gaming sessions.

#20 Posted by earlygrab666 (42 posts) -

I can't believe I'm just hearing about this feature!

As a dad that has wasted hundreds of dollars on wireless turtle beach headphones that constantly fall apart, this feature is IMO the consoles best feature!

#21 Edited by Blastroid (257 posts) -

Plugged in my Astro A40's without the need for the media controller box an they sound great. The microphone works great also and is much easier using voice commands than the camera across the room.